Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If I had modship, like I deserve to, I'd have given stair the avatar he deserves. (said in the most threatening way possible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

If I had modship, like I deserve to, I'd have given stair the avatar he deserves. (said in the most threatening way possible)

When the mods are done working their asses off. It shall be done.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When the mods are done working their asses off. It shall be done.

they sure are working hard, for months on end, to get it done

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1542271410684428289?t=PfpC0wJ_HwKPnINtVis2yA&s=19

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no respect for adtrw culture from the current regime, it's sad quite frankly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ack! De Culture!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

homeless snail posted:

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

homeless snail posted:

More and more people have been saying this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
cool moderation!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1542325979409965057?s=20&t=Kqaq-OlfXCf8UzEa7z8ynw

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just found out about and finished The Looker. If you liked The Witness you should probably check it out, if you didn't like The Witness you should absolutely check it out. It's free and takes and hour or two to complete.

Anyways I saw this picture on the Steam page and it made me laugh.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am playing SRW30 via the steam summer sale and it is the ultimate Gamemaster Anthony Experience

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If anything the anime magnifies the weakness of the original by speed running the plot. It really drives home the fact the plot is just a lose outline of points and not an actual fleshed out story

Also the action scenes while we'll animated are rather boring and uninteresting and a good example of why good sakuga doesn't always equal a good show or a good action scene

The issues may also relate to them not using the original series choregraphy. The original series may have had objectively worse animation, but it came with better choregraphy. Monty was hired for his eye for fight choregaphy, afterall.

Take the Nevermore scene. In the original, a lot of character moments were included to show you who the characters were. Focusing on JNPR, there was a good amount of time showing Juane's cowardice but good tactical mind as well as showing how playful Nora is in battle.

Juane and Nora are seperated over a chasm from their team. Juane tells Nora that they need to backup their team. Nora, while Juane protests out of fear, decides to blow their section of the bridge and ride the explosion to safety. Juane flails and falls while Nora rides her hammer like a sailboat.

Juane's plan to kill the giant scorpion also makes more sense and shows off his mind better in the original. Out of nowhere, he identifies the stinger as a weak point and then effortlessly coordinates his team to drop it and slam it throw the stinger. It worked a little better in the original.

Also, the sequences cut remove characterization. You'd never know Yang is supposed to have a temper because all of the establishing moments were removed. Removing the big warehouse fight is just baffling too as it is practically whiplash. Also, it takes spotlight away from Penny, who is the best character.

Lastly, a lot of humor is cut out. Roosterteeth is a comedy company. Their main franchise was a scifi military farce. Their company is named after the CEO's favorite insult, "cockbite." This adaptation pretty much plays the entire series straight with no jokes and that really does make it feel dead. Miles and Kerry were primarily comedy writers so the original series spent a lot of time cracking jokes, which helped keep the series fresh.

The adaption does do some things better. Like, actually have Juane NOT treat Pyrrah at all special so her reason for liking him doesn't seem Inconsistent. The animation itself is also LOADS better. Like 1000x better than the original. And the expansion on the trailers actually better establishes the world than the series originally did itself.

A lot of it also makes more sense since, according to wikia, this is not an adaptation. It's apparently going to be a "canon adjacent" story which will recap volume 1 in the first three episodes to establish the world to new viewers and then move to an original story. If that's true and not wiki BS, it looks like this series is called "Ice Queendom" because it's trying to expand on Weiss' character arc from Volume 1. That was always critiqued as being too quick and that Weiss didn't do enough to explain why she wanted to go away from the Schnee and wasn't racist anymore.

The end of episode 3, with "Dark weiss" saying she is just faking her change and really still is a PoS, seems to suggest, based off the wiki entry, that the series will eventually involve team RWBY entering her nightmares to save her, with this now being the exploration for why she changed so much. It feels like they're building to it since we established how the nightmare works with Juane, that Juane was easily saved because he is so new and weak hat the nightmare couldn't feed easily on him, Weiss will likely get a worse infection, and we already know that the dark other traps you in nightmares where you fight off your insecurities.

It feels like, if the wikia is to be believed, this entire series might turn out to be one of those EU novels that essentially does plot spackle to smooth up issues in the original telling of the story. They were really common in the SW EU.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

i am playing SRW30 via the steam summer sale and it is the ultimate Gamemaster Anthony Experience

It loving rules.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Bastard!! Opening.

Should note NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMT_Drx7AI0

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Even as I'm watching it its hard to believe that we've got a proper modern adaption for Bastard after all these years. I'm like 3 episodes in and it's very faithful, even expanding on the story a little so it'll better fit events that'll come into play in the most recent chapters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1542113477195894786?s=20&t=djBjhBDIV03PLLLur84XSQ

From 2023, every new serialization in Shonen Jump will have a simultaneous English release through Manga Plus

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

now bring over camellia no curtain

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1542113477195894786?s=20&t=djBjhBDIV03PLLLur84XSQ

From 2023, every new serialization in Shonen Jump will have a simultaneous English release through Manga Plus

This excites me because that covers a lot of ground and getting new series as they release is just great. I wonder if they'll increase the price for Manga + America because right now it's the best deal in comic books.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, Manga Plus is a different service than Shonen Jump. Manga Plus currently only has the free service where it's the first three chapters and the latest three, but there were questions about subscription prices in the recent user survey, so they may be looking into offering a subscription for that.

And yeah, I did note on the survey that the two services seemed kinda redundant.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's overlap if you're in a region where both are available (idk viz's limitations) but the fact that viz won't put every series in the app nor do they run as much stuff from sq/+ means there's frustrations that would make me drop my sub if it weren't so cheap

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Archer666 posted:

Even as I'm watching it its hard to believe that we've got a proper modern adaption for Bastard after all these years. I'm like 3 episodes in and it's very faithful, even expanding on the story a little so it'll better fit events that'll come into play in the most recent chapters.

I am somewhat interested I will probably check it out after work today.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, if Manga Plus had a subscription at a similar price to Jump, I'd probably jump ship.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I prefer the SJ reader to the manga plus one, the SJ survey sounds like they’re planning on expanding. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re going to start to drift a bit from what Manga Plus offers. Viz has a huge chunk of Shojo manga on their hands and they asked about adding it in, so I could see them leveraging that to expand their reader base.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Archer666 posted:

the main difference is the gratuitous obscuring of nipples.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

is Bastard!!! the one where the Archangel Michael is a girl with a visible thong?

The depictions of angels in anime and manga always fascinates me. I prefer Angel Sanctuary, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

is Bastard!!! the one where the Archangel Michael is a girl with a visible thong?

The depictions of angels in anime and manga always fascinates me. I prefer Angel Sanctuary, though.

Knowing very little about it, other than some descriptions and the op above, I will say probably. As it gives that impression.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

It loving rules.
have you met my wife, Excellen Moses Browning?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also wtf the macross f merch i ordered will be arriving *tomorrow*

how am i supposed to impress the only two guys in the theater that i will never, ever talk to?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

holy poo poo it's finally happening. they're finally waking the gently caress up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

have you met my wife, Excellen Moses Browning?

I've played a bit of OG, so I am familiar with that HR nightmare.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

also wtf the macross f merch i ordered will be arriving *tomorrow*

how am i supposed to impress the only two guys in the theater that i will never, ever talk to?

Sing Seikan Hikou.

☆kira☆

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Atashi anata no usagi no BLACK

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lurking Haro posted:

Sing Seikan Hikou.

☆kira☆

i’ve spent years training for this very scenario

e:

Waffleman_ posted:

I've played a bit of OG, so I am familiar with that HR nightmare.
Dial W for “Awooooooooo”

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 1, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Lemon/Raymond Browning lol

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Abarenbou no Sexy Flag~

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Never seen a Macross in my life but I love da song

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

you should fix that, it's real good

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

TenementFunster posted:

i’ve spent years training for this very scenario

what are the utena songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sweetness and Lightning is too good for this earth and I'm glad it exists.