Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

The amount of solar on that is probably a couple hundred watts at most, at its peak, so its not helping your range, and even if you're just parked, at say 200w for a generous 10 hours every day, you'd get back like %10 battery after 4-5 days.

That said considering the vehicle to load function of the ioniq 5, and you're out camping, it would be more than enough solar to keep your phones charged up, run some lights, appliances, etc without draining your battery. I do actually think an ioniq 5 with a solar panel would be a pretty fantastic camping car just for that reason of carrying a giant battery and a few hundred watts of solar power with you wherever you go. Also with how fantastically fast the e-gmp's charge, its also great for long travel, adding to my positive opinion of the ioniq 5 as a camping car.

Regarding the space I actually can comment on that funny enough, when I went for a road trip recently in the smaller but similar EV6, we were able to fit 4 suitcases, some bags, and a collapsing travel wheelchair in the back. It was a little tight, but that was even with the rear seats fully reclined eating into the space, though we did have to take out the false floor to give a little extra space in the boot. Keep in mind as well, the EV6 back seats only tilt up and down, whereas the ioniq 5's rear seats slide forward and backwards so you can get a lot more space in it. I guess it all depends on how much stuff you need to bring and how big/shaped it is.

This is my chair. I only just learned of it back in 2019, but man do I love it. The battery is only 8lbs too, and just about the size of a laptop battery. You can charge your phone too, even drive it through the app.
https://whill.inc/us/model-ci/

I rewatched one of the videos on the Korean Car News YT channel, and it said the solar roof of the Genesis G80 adds about 60 miles monthly. While that’s not a ton, that’s not not nothing either…

I’m torn whether to get the Ioniq or wait as a whole bunch of new EVs are coming out soon. I want to be able to trade in my Mazda3 while it’s getting a crazy high trade-in price due to the chip shortage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Started seeing some yellow borders around the screen on my 2018 Model 3 earlier this year and then a week or so ago it looked like the screen was separating internally at one of the corners. I'm a worst case owner with regard to heat since I don't have covered parking, I do have overheat protection on.

Tech replaced it and mentioned he'd never seen that particular failure before which is always exciting.

My full-vehicle limited warranty expires in 6 days, so this was a well-timed failure.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

That said considering the vehicle to load function of the ioniq 5, and you're out camping, it would be more than enough solar to keep your phones charged up, run some lights, appliances, etc without draining your battery. I do actually think an ioniq 5 with a solar panel would be a pretty fantastic camping car just for that reason of carrying a giant battery and a few hundred watts of solar power with you wherever you go. Also with how fantastically fast the e-gmp's charge, its also great for long travel, adding to my positive opinion of the ioniq 5 as a camping car.

That's exactly what I want a solar roof for. Hopefully they offer it in the future

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is a solar roof coming on the 2023 ioniq5?

My order of an ioniq is slated for 2H of 2023 so I imagine it would be a 2023 model then.. I haven't decided if I would want to get that or not yet but probably when I get closer.

If I had my druthers I'd probably get the Ford Lightning Lariat trim right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They haven't released the specs for the U.S. market yet. I think you're in Canada? Hard.to say

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Started seeing some yellow borders around the screen on my 2018 Model 3 earlier this year and then a week or so ago it looked like the screen was separating internally at one of the corners. I'm a worst case owner with regard to heat since I don't have covered parking, I do have overheat protection on.

Tech replaced it and mentioned he'd never seen that particular failure before which is always exciting.

My full-vehicle limited warranty expires in 6 days, so this was a well-timed failure.

Nice.

I actually haven't had any issues since the warranty expired. Knock on wood.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

They haven't released the specs for the U.S. market yet. I think you're in Canada? Hard.to say

Yah, I think the biggest improvements would be a rear wiper from what I hear, but the solar roof would be really interesting.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I moved from Atlanta to Texas almost 2 weeks ago and have been staying with my sister while I close on a house. Thus, I have been charging off of a 110v outlet and let me tell you, IT STINKS!!!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PenisMonkey posted:

IT STINKS!!!

If it smells like burning plastic you should stop charging :cawg:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I told my sister I won’t visit her until she installs a level 2 charger.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
So far it’s been working since I haven’t been driving much but it adds around 1% of charge every hour. And there is a supercharger about 20 miles away if I get desperate.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

darnon posted:

The backup beep is part of the pedestrian warning system that is federally required for newer hybrids and EVs so there isn't a way to just turn it off.

It probably won't shock anyone here to learn that folks have quickly found a way to turn off the sound.

Also "the Lightning doesn't seem any different than a regular F-150" is pretty much the entire point of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

So far it’s been working since I haven’t been driving much but it adds around 1% of charge every hour. And there is a supercharger about 20 miles away if I get desperate.

This is how I charge my EV6 and it suits my needs since my overnight charging gives me just enough to cover my daily commute. Even if I drive more I make up for it on the weekend. And I have free L2 chargers at work if I actually ever come close to low charge.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Qwijib0 posted:

Is Tesla still using non-automotive rated LCDs?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Like thay means anything - manufacturers like Mazda and Honda have had widespread touch screen failures too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

The 3 was supposed to be using them, the LG display in the current revision is rated for an operating temperature of up to 185F. The failure of the S/X screens started after about 4 years, so either mine is an abberation, or there's about to be a new wave of screen failures.

At least on the 3 it's a simple swap unlike on the S/X where they have to put in a whole new MCU.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Valicious posted:

This is my chair. I only just learned of it back in 2019, but man do I love it. The battery is only 8lbs too, and just about the size of a laptop battery. You can charge your phone too, even drive it through the app.

I rewatched one of the videos on the Korean Car News YT channel, and it said the solar roof of the Genesis G80 adds about 60 miles monthly. While that’s not a ton, that’s not not nothing either…

I’m torn whether to get the Ioniq or wait as a whole bunch of new EVs are coming out soon. I want to be able to trade in my Mazda3 while it’s getting a crazy high trade-in price due to the chip shortage though.

Thats definitely a lot larger wheelchair than what we had to carry, but, it looks like it breaks down to about the size of 2 pieces of luggage? I shouldn't think there would be any trouble taking that and some other bags and stuff, though, I don't know how small/big your air mattress folds up to.

I think, I mean, if your car stays parked outside i mean... sure? 60 miles a month sounds about right? I wouldn't though look at an EV with solar panels as "wow this will charge itself up!", because yeah thats like 2 miles a day of range, but approaching it as a "no worries of phantom drain, and I have an always on travel solar generator for camping!" I think is great.

With how hard it is to get anything right now though, if you can get to try one, and you like it, get it. I've never driven an ionic 5, but from my experience using the sister car to it, I think they banged it out of the park over at hyundai/kia with the hardware base of their new cars. If you really intend to do a lot of road tripping, getting charged up in 15-20 minutes vs. 30-45 minutes or even longer is a really great thing to have in your pocket, and right now theres only... what, the taycan, and lucid that charge faster? Nothing is ever really future proof but I think hyundai's platform does a good job of being prepared for the future as best you can and most companies aren't going to catch up to that charging rate for a while.

Theres always going to be another new car around the corner, and when the next big thing is out, you'll be on a year+ wait for it, and by the time you're getting close to getting your reservation ready, there will be rumors and reveals of the next thing coming out soon, etc.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Valicious posted:

That looks badass.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

What's an automotive rated LCD anyway? One that handles the tough environment of sunlight and fresh air that gaming LCDs aren't exposed to?

The touchscreen gets weirdly hot just doing its own thing, pretty sure it's mining bitcoin.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ola posted:

What's an automotive rated LCD anyway? One that handles the tough environment of sunlight and fresh air that gaming LCDs aren't exposed to?

The touchscreen gets weirdly hot just doing its own thing, pretty sure it's mining bitcoin.

cars get hot in the summer and most consumer grade indoor monitors are very much not rated for it yes

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

cars get hot in the summer and most consumer grade indoor monitors are very much not rated for it yes

Yeah but 40C? 50C?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cars get hotter than that in hot countries when they are outside in the sun with the windows shut and the car is off.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ola posted:

Yeah but 40C? 50C?

A car parked outside in 90 degree weather will go over 140 degrees (54C) in just an hour . Cars get REALLY hot outside in the sun.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 1, 2022

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Mine got up to 63C the other day.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A car parked outside in 90 degree weather will go over 140 degrees in just an hour. Cars get REALLY hot outside in the sun.

I'm not questioning the existence of the sun, or heat energy or transfer of heat energy. I'm just curious what the actual "automotive rating" entails. Google returns a heap of junk.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Bolt EUV is increasingly tempting to me at this point, post-price-drop. It seems like every EV at the moment is either half-baked or gigantic (or a Tesla, and there's no way I'm dealing with the whims of :elongate:), so getting Super Cruise at around $35K in a compact package has a definite draw to it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Roadie posted:

The Bolt EUV is increasingly tempting to me at this point, post-price-drop. It seems like every EV at the moment is either half-baked or gigantic (or a Tesla, and there's no way I'm dealing with the whims of :elongate:), so getting Super Cruise at around $35K in a compact package has a definite draw to it.

Good luck getting one without a markup. The one I've got a deposit on arrived at the dealer today so in the next couple of days I've got to deal with trying to not pay a 3k markup.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

I'm not questioning the existence of the sun, or heat energy or transfer of heat energy. I'm just curious what the actual "automotive rating" entails. Google returns a heap of junk.

Next you should start complaining it doesn't aksherly get very hot in lapland

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Automotive rated electronics support a huge temperature range of -40C to +105C. That is the ambient temperature and is tested by running the devices while they have that kind of heat applied either in a thermal chamber or by direct forced air or peltier device.

It’s not surprising Tesla uses non automotive rated parts seems like something they’d do.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

It needs very high heat tolerance. The center stack of an ordinary car can get to +80°C in the sun on a hot day. The car is a greenhouse and a turned-off LCD is effectively black so it absorbs a ton of solar radiation. High temperatures degrade most electronic components eventually, "automotive grade" just means it takes longer. Here's a long article about it if you want a lot of links to research papers on automotive engineering.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 1, 2022

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

PneumonicBook posted:

Good luck getting one without a markup. The one I've got a deposit on arrived at the dealer today so in the next couple of days I've got to deal with trying to not pay a 3k markup.

Chademo aside, isn't a Leaf, which still gets the fed rebate a way better deal? (i haven't been keeping up with this stuff lately)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

0-60?

Trap speed?

And that's not really a joke I mean I know a lot of people don't care about poo poo like that but the thing is gonna weigh over 5000 pounds and have as little as 340 hp depending on configuration so it absolutely is a concern.

So they definitely haven't nailed "everything" is my point I guess.

Some EV shoppers are coming from a Prius and some EV shoppers are coming from a GT500 and the two look at each other like they each are inscrutably alien.

Interior fit & finish for your like average upper-class, non-car person buyer in the $50-70k range, the GV60 seems like it's closest competition right now.

I guess it doesn't matter because Ford can't meet production anyways, but I'm surprised they didn't do a Mach-E luxury trim. I can live with the Premium but there is certainly room to do a higher trim level with better interior materials like they did with the Lightning. They probably will at some point.

priznat posted:

It’s not surprising Tesla uses non automotive rated parts seems like something they’d do.

No, they absolutely were. It was one of those things where everyone acted like Tesla caught all the other automotive makers off-guard with their infotainment display, the large displays simply did not exist within specs that any reputable auto manufacture would use. Tesla just said gently caress it and their displays failed at huge rates.

PenisMonkey posted:

I moved from Atlanta to Texas almost 2 weeks ago and have been staying with my sister while I close on a house. Thus, I have been charging off of a 110v outlet and let me tell you, IT STINKS!!!

I've been charging for over 4 years at 120, at reduced charging speed on 120 even. Granted, it really isn't workable for many, maybe even most EV users, but I do think 120 charging is a seriously overlooked EV infrastructure improvement that could be done extremely economically. I think there is a good chunk of users that would be served just fine if workplaces and apartments made 120v outlets accessible in their parking.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 1, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"What even IS automotive grade?!" I ask as my 26" touchscreen/primary interface oozes cum after a sunny day in Arizona.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

It needs very high heat tolerance. The center stack of an ordinary car can get to +80°C in the sun on a hot day. The car is a greenhouse and a turned-off LCD is effectively black so it absorbs a ton of solar radiation. High temperatures degrade most electronic components eventually, "automotive grade" just means it takes longer. Here's a long article about it if you want a lot of links to research papers on automotive engineering.

Ah, some numbers! But I thought "automotive grade" meant some standardized thing all automotive makers were meant to conform to, not simply a test made by someone in the automotive business. No big deal though, it still holds. But the article is a bit...

quote:

First the Model S and X screens were plagued by a bizarre problem that was clearly caused by thermal issues: bubbles would form on the sides of the displays and eventually leak a gooey adhesive material into the car's interior.

Fair point, go on.

quote:

Tesla appeared to mostly fix this problem with its "cabin overheat protection" feature (which it sold as being to protect dogs and children, despite the fact that it held the temperature at +40C which is about the temperature where a child's organs will start shutting down)

Oh no.... goodbye children of Texas. If only the pro-lifers had contained global warming somehow. And also goodbye children of Africa, most of Asia, etc.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ola posted:

I'm not questioning the existence of the sun

You should.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ola posted:

Oh no.... goodbye children of Texas. If only the pro-lifers had contained global warming somehow. And also goodbye children of Africa, most of Asia, etc.

Body temperature, you can't effectively regulate body temperature in a small sealed box.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve had my vehicles reach about 160F degrees inside in the summer. That’s when the ambient temp is about 100F.

I think that’s about 70C inside temp when the ambient would be almost 40C if my brain maths are right. That’s a common daily temperature here throughout July and August.

Edit wow I should have pulled down to update the thread before posting.

Enjoy my temps

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

In addition to the temperatures already mentioned, it also has to withstand lots of vibration. Even in moderate climates, constant vibration can be hell on solder joints and connectors.

When I went to replace the center console USB ports on my model 3, I had to get an adapter from the overbuilt connector in my car to the massively overbuilt connector in the newer cars (with the part I was installing). Vibration is a big deal, and difficult to test in the lab.

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

TheWevel posted:

FYI you can drag the camera app in the app drawer to one of the bottom buttons that's there all the time on the screen.

I can’t seem to do that. I tried for a while with no success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Ah, some numbers! But I thought "automotive grade" meant some standardized thing all automotive makers were meant to conform to, not simply a test made by someone in the automotive business. No big deal though, it still holds. But the article is a bit...

Fair point, go on.

:psyduck: