  • Post
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are we sure this isn't a money laundering front?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOmieznNHQ

Not an expert, but the point of money laundering is to confound asset tracing of large amounts of illegitimate income, income I don't foresee ever coming from Ralph Wiggum's store there. It could be a tax shelter, I guess?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

KingKalamari posted:

Wow that copy needs another editing pass. There's not necessarily any grammatical issues but wowzers is that way more difficult to parse than it needs to be...

Bet I could get it under fifteen words without losing the meaning.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

joylessdivision posted:

Aren't they trying to sue WotC who have basically just laughed at them or is that a different group of idiots.

Yeah that's them. Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast is suing them back now, according to the latest updates on the timeline.

quote:

March 4th 2022. WotC strikes back with a lawsuit naming TSR, Justin LaNasa personally, and the Dungeon Hobby Shop museum. WotC seeks a judgement that TSR hand over all domains, take down all websites, pay treble damages and costs, hand over all stock and proceeds related to the trademarks, and more. TSR has 21 days to respond.

March 22nd 2022. TSR gets an extension on that WoTC suit. Two waivers of service of summons granted to both Justin LaNasa and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. He now has 60 days from March 4th to serve an answer or motion, or suffer default judgment.

May 17th 2022. A jury trial date is set for the TSR/WotC lawsuit for October 2023 (few suits like this actually make it to trial in the end).

homullus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOmieznNHQ

Not an expert, but the point of money laundering is to confound asset tracing of large amounts of illegitimate income, income I don't foresee ever coming from Ralph Wiggum's store there. It could be a tax shelter, I guess?

Joking aside, it's feels like one of those times where you're helping clean out an older male relative's garage/attic/storage unit etc. You're all sifting through decades of accumulated bric-a-brac and someone goes "Oh this stuff is neat! You should open a museum!" except they took it dead seriously. And then they decided to leverage that into a really bizarre scam where they pretend they definitely did print a big run of Star Frontier books that absolutely exist and rebind AD&D 1e books and put a logo on the cover they don't have legal claim to.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Making a Facebook post about hue I’m gonna be mega racist to own the libs.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comstar posted:

Posted to the OSR RPG group where it was laughed at by all:

https://thenib.com/fault-right/

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm sure taking a brave stand publishing "extreme content" out of spite will work out super well for the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. Can't wait to see what-- [receives breaking news over earpiece] Oh, ohh it turns out they haven't actually published anything at all. And their museum is like 6 display cases holding someone's battered gaming collection.

Museum??? That's a pretty decent collection but it sure as gently caress isn't a museum.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Gynovore posted:

Museum??? That's a pretty decent collection but it sure as gently caress isn't a museum.

Turns out if you can afford a sign, you can open a museum.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Gynovore posted:

Museum??? That's a pretty decent collection but it sure as gently caress isn't a museum.

No, but people linked a video from Tim Kask last year who also re-iterated that this wasn't a museum, it's a gift shop meant to sell "TSR" branded dice and rpg garbage, they don't have anything cool like any of gary's old adventures (it would sure be nice to take a look at the original Greyhawk map and notes that aren't from a super lovely camera) so it's basically just a store looking to cash in on his dad's legacy, since it got almost as aggressive a scrubbing as Roddenberry's did

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1542195646974787585

loving lmao hasbro

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is the objection to the memo based on an interpretation of the memo that says "hey, we'll pay for your abortions but don't make conservative employees uncomfortable by talking about it"?

Maybe I'm dense or under-caffeinated, but I'm not quite seeing what the objection to that memo is.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Yeah I’m not nearly Twitter woke enough to understand the controversy here.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

CitizenKeen posted:

Is the objection to the memo based on an interpretation of the memo that says "hey, we'll pay for your abortions but don't make conservative employees uncomfortable by talking about it"?

Maybe I'm dense or under-caffeinated, but I'm not quite seeing what the objection to that memo is.

The language in the memo is so vague and desperate not to offend anti-abortion ppl I would have real concerns over exactly how much help is being offered. If abortion was already covered, that statement doesn't actually say it will continue to be covered. What is enhanced travel? Does that cover the service, lodging, and the cost of getting to the location? It could be a stronger, more explicit statement with those specifics is coming and this is a stop-gag, but it is pretty weak by corporate standards.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pakxos posted:

The language in the memo is so vague and desperate not to offend anti-abortion ppl I would have real concerns over exactly how much help is being offered. If abortion was already covered, that statement doesn't actually say it will continue to be covered. What is enhanced travel? Does that cover the service, lodging, and the cost of getting to the location? It could be a stronger, more explicit statement with those specifics is coming and this is a stop-gag, but it is pretty weak by corporate standards.

To me it reads not as a document worried about offending pro-life people, but as one that is intentionally vague so that the actual policy can be (1) developed by other people (e.g. HR and the legal team later) and (2) changed when they want it to. It's what you'd say if you wanted to leave room to always have the best benefit, and what you'd say if you always wanted to perform cheap lip service.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, I read that message is literally nothing but using the language of inclusion and positivity to try and silence people making them feel like the bad guy for daring to be loving pissed about anti-choice assholes where they work.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
You also need to contrast it with statements by other companies in the wake of the ruling pledging to cover travel expenses for medical care; if you're a Wizards employee you might well hope for something like that and instead you get weak conciliatory language with no indication of action.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, the people who believe that women shouldn’t have rights don’t deserve understanding, empathy, or kindness.

It’s not a complex debate, there aren’t two sides. We’re not talking about what toppings are good on pizza, or what the shortest route to the cottage is.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah I’m not nearly Twitter woke enough to understand the controversy here.

what.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

To me that reads more like HR and the lawyers told them what they could write, and not just respecting chuds' feelings. WotC is a small company and they may be ironing out all the benefits related to this promise.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

alg posted:

To me that reads more like HR and the lawyers told them what they could write, and not just respecting chuds' feelings. WotC is a small company and they may be ironing out all the benefits related to this promise.

Hasbro is not a small company.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

King of Solomon posted:

Hasbro is not a small company.

Isn't WotC a subsidiary of Hasbro? Usually companies are run separately.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WotC is a division of Hasbro.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Terrible Opinions posted:

WotC is a division of Hasbro.

It is also Hasbro's largest division now, I think? Or at least their most growing. They had over $1b in revenue. It's been massively perverted into a huge money grab.

Also, gently caress not offending these anti-choice women-hating coworkers. If they don't want to get dirty looks from their coworkers, then they need to have the common sense to keep their shameful, offensive, disgusting misogyny to themselves.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

It is interesting that a company so dedicated to having image of progressive and lgbt friendly has to put out a statement like this, so it does not offend its chud employees? You would think that a truly progressive company wouldn't have those, or they would be the ones scared into not opening their mouths.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The company did not release it, as I understand.

It's probably like the company's two Trump assholes who eat lunch together.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covermeinsunshine posted:

It is interesting that a company so dedicated to having image of progressive and lgbt friendly has to put out a statement like this, so it does not offend its chud employees? You would think that a truly progressive company wouldn't have those, or they would be the ones scared into not opening their mouths.

You hit the nail on the head. They are dedicated to the image rather than the ideal.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Magic the Gathering is, IIRC, Hasbro's most profitable IP by an enormous margin

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Magnetic North posted:

You hit the nail on the head. They are dedicated to the image rather than the ideal.

And they're dedicated to the image only insofar as it works as a good marketing incentive. Their support of any sort of progressive image is only going to go so far as what will produce good PR for the company as a whole.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hasbro got hit with an LGBT discrimination lawsuit back in 2014 for allegedly firing a designer because she is a lesbian.

http://www.back2stonewall.com/2014/03/hasbro-toy-company-slapped-lgbt-discrimination-lawsuit.html

But since then, they've been named one of the best places for LGBTQ+ folks to work by the Human Rights Council multiple years running

https://investor.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-ranks-among-best-places-work-lgbtq-equality-human-rights
https://corporate.hasbro.com/en-us/articles/hasbro_named_one_of_americas_top_corporations_for_lgbtq_equality

And, as is typical for companies, they've invested pretty heavily in Pride month celebrations

https://corporate.hasbro.com/en-us/articles/pride_is_for_everyone

That said, carefully worded HR statements are generally there to prevent future lawsuits, and regardless of their employee's personal feelings, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the company and its investors don't want to be on the hook for someone's medical care.

Or, in other words,

Magnetic North posted:

You hit the nail on the head. They are dedicated to the image rather than the ideal.

Way easier to write a few checks and do some rebranding than it is to tell the Supreme Court to gently caress itself and agree to violate possible laws about transporting folks over state lines.

(That said, gently caress the Supreme Court and the misogynists)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's interesting because all of these corporate promises about how they'll fund people to cross state lines to get abortions where it's still legal have their own fundamental problems in that being very public about it undermines the utility of the policy in practical terms, and it further strengthens the leverage the corporation has over any one individual employee...

... but WOTC seemingly can't even hurdle that bar anyway

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A lot of those corporate promises are legal rear end covering because a whole lot of health plans cover abortion and until yearly renegotiation they can’t change that.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There's also the extra bit about just how those benefits are defined and who gets them. Like I know with a bunch of the retailers with those announcements there's a pretty good chance part time employees don't really get them. With the Tabletop Industry, I'd wager most of their actual labor is performed by freelancers and contractors, so you wind up really just seeing a promise to give their management healthcare.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's interesting because all of these corporate promises about how they'll fund people to cross state lines to get abortions where it's still legal have their own fundamental problems in that being very public about it undermines the utility of the policy in practical terms, and it further strengthens the leverage the corporation has over any one individual employee...

I'm not following your reasoning. Are you imagining a state border checkpoint where they ask people where they work, and check against a list of companies that publicly vowed to fund travel, and then administer a pregnancy test on the spot?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

homullus posted:

I'm not following your reasoning. Are you imagining a state border checkpoint where they ask people where they work, and check against a list of companies that publicly vowed to fund travel, and then administer a pregnancy test on the spot?

There are some states that have proposed legislation that'd make traveling out of state to get or assist with an abortion a felony, along with all the monitoring that'd imply and bounty programs encouraging people to snitch, so it's not that implausible

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's Texas. Texas is proposing that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

It's been massively perverted into a huge money grab.

There's nothing really wrong with them milking MTG as hard as they are. I've yet to meet a FLGS in existence that doesn't make a significant chunk of its revenue from MTG.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They have two offices in Texas so they actually are possibly a target for anyone at those offices who seeks an abortion under the Texas Heartbeat Act by aiding their employees in seeking them, which was found to be legal by SCOTUS btw.

The Texas law is so wild and unconventional though, it's completely untested waters in terms of how it will play out because it's not enforced by government officials but by citizens. It essentially deputizes citizens to bring civil lawsuits on abortion seekers and people who aid them and it passed for that reason. No one has been brought up for this yet to my knowledge but it's coming because companies that collect GPS data, pregnancy crisis centers (the fundamentalist Christian psychos that guilt women into not getting abortions while pretending to be doctors), and even period tracker apps are selling their collected information to these bounty hunter groups. This isn't even touching the now wide open frontier to define abortion as murder, which has no statute of limitation, considering this draconian law was set up when abortion was protected.

Not to defend WotC, I'm sure they'll take away the support when they renegotiate insurance policies, but they could totally have some alt-right weirdo like TheQuartering or whoever get a tip, send that to one of those groups, and then have lawsuits brought against the abortion seekers and company people who facilitated the travel, like an HR person or supervisor they contacted. It's just a brand new world of awful poo poo.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 1, 2022

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Texas law is so wild and unconventional though, it's completely untested waters in terms of how it will play out because it's not enforced by government officials but by citizens. It essentially deputizes citizens to bring civil lawsuits on abortion seekers and people who aid them and it passed for that reason.

I wonder if people could FOIA the names of people collecting bounties like what happened during early covid lockdowns?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's nothing really wrong with them milking MTG as hard as they are. I've yet to meet a FLGS in existence that doesn't make a significant chunk of its revenue from MTG.

The way they are milking it is not great for LGSes, though. Even aside from all the direct-to-customer sales via Secret Lairs (and whatever is up with the official Amazon storefront, which they probably technically subcontract but clearly gets way better deals than we do).

Don't get me wrong, the revenue I get off of MTG is up, but the unsold inventory is also way up, because they've diversified their product offerings so much that you can't count on all your unsold boosters eventually moving at full price. Well, you probably could eventually, but it takes much longer now that they have draft boosters and set boosters and collector boosters and tons of commander precons and so on and so forth because there are 3x-5x as many products you have to guess on how much of to stock, and without just one product type for people to buy, the back catalog of draft boosters in particular moves vastly more slowly (and you can't just draft with excess set boosters).

It's no doubt vastly increased WOTC's sales, though, because with no returnability once the LGSes buy all the stuff it looks just as good to WOTC if it sits on our shelves forever as it does if it all sold.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

[...]

Oh it's definitely awful. I don't think it's going to be quite that easy for pro-life enthusiasts to stop out-of-state abortions though with the civil suit shenanigans. The Texas Heartbeat Act (as an example) authorizes civil lawsuits against those who perform, induce, or assist, not the person seeking the abortion, and not travel; depending on the defendant, Texas may not even have the ability (i.e. jurisdiction) to sue the abortion provider in the first place, because neither provider nor procedure were in Texas. The Texas "bounty" on abortion providers is a courtroom gamble, since in the American system, each side pays its own lawyers. The Texas law does authorize judgments of $10,000 or more (that's the "bounty" which would be shared between the citizen filing suit and their lawyers), plus court costs and attorneys' fees, but to get there, pro-life enthusiasts have to spend tens of thousands to prove their case (possibly even involving expert testimony, which is much more expensive still), and all of them risk losing it all if the lawyers work on contingency and they don't win. Is somebody somewhere going to win one of these? Probably, and it is appalling that's where we are now. Is somebody going to go bankrupt filing these? Even more probably. WotC business offices in Texas could definitely be the targets of these lawsuits, but they'll also have lawyers on staff to make it expensive for the pro-life enthusiasts to roll those dice.

All of that changes for the worse, much worse, if murder charges extend to the unborn.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's nothing really wrong with them milking MTG as hard as they are. I've yet to meet a FLGS in existence that doesn't make a significant chunk of its revenue from MTG.

MTG is popular and FLGSes stock it because of that, therefor Hasbro should squeeze them as much as they want because they're often necessary to the FLGS surviving? Seems kind of bad, to me, to leverage your power solely for your own benefit in the short term, even if that's a basic tenet of capitalism. Like... Hasbro isn't at risk if they don't make 10% higher profits on their card game, a FLGS can go through an existential threat if they lose the consistency of MTG income.

"We want all the money we've made before that's turned us into the giant we are, and now we want a bigger cut of your profits because you can't say no," is perfectly legal, but it's absolutely wrong.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 1, 2022

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4