Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I forgot I had a question too, about Syncthing. I am interested in replacing my Google Drive with a Syncthing + NAS + b2 backups solution.

However, in setting up my sync over LAN I discovered this public relay crap in Syncthing which I'm really not a fan of, mainly due to the transfer speed degradation but also just not liking the idea of my sensitive files going over the public internet (despite being encrypted). I do not wish to expose my Syncthing ports to the public internet and was planning on using VPN in order to access Syncthing from my phone.

In order to avoid the public relay servers, am I required to run my own relay? I wasn't really sure if running a relay was required, given that I'm doing everything over LAN. Seems like kind of a pain to have to do that, if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

fletcher posted:

I was describing how handy IPMI is to my friend, and he asked a fair question: how often are you really going into the BIOS that it even matters?

It's not very often at all that I have to use IPMI. Despite the infrequent use, it's just so handy when you do need it. Keeping the computer janitoring at home as painless and hassle free as possible goes a long ways when you have to do very similar tasks for your day job. I find it's well worth the additional up front investment, especially since I'll probably end up using the motherboard for 10+ years at home.

Also, the Node 804 makes an excellent NAS case!

Truthfully not often! The last time I used it was to access the TrueNAS console to fix a network issue I'd created for myself trying to set up link aggregation. I probably would have had to guy buy a monitor to resolve the problem without IPMI.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

withoutclass posted:

Truthfully not often! The last time I used it was to access the TrueNAS console to fix a network issue I'd created for myself trying to set up link aggregation. I probably would have had to guy buy a monitor to resolve the problem without IPMI.

I have a really cute little 4" VGA/HDMI Monitor I keep around for these kinds of situations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have ILO on my server at home which is basically HP’s version of that and while I don’t use it often, the 1 or 2 times a year I need to do a weird reboot or something (of course always when I’m away from home) I’m glad I have it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fletcher posted:

I was describing how handy IPMI is to my friend, and he asked a fair question: how often are you really going into the BIOS that it even matters?

The important question isn't how often, it's how much of a pain in the rear end it will be to service when you do?

If I had a NAS or home server, it would have to go somewhere within what you might vaguely call "living spare" -- a closet, or maybe the back of the TV cabinet. I probably wouldn't go for IPMI because plugging in a keyboard & monitor wouldn't be that much of a hassle.

If you can put your server in a basement, attic, crawlspace, or whatever, then it's a huge advantage. Work in situ or haul the PC out to a more congenial workspace: both suck.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

fletcher posted:

I forgot I had a question too, about Syncthing. I am interested in replacing my Google Drive with a Syncthing + NAS + b2 backups solution.

However, in setting up my sync over LAN I discovered this public relay crap in Syncthing which I'm really not a fan of, mainly due to the transfer speed degradation but also just not liking the idea of my sensitive files going over the public internet (despite being encrypted). I do not wish to expose my Syncthing ports to the public internet and was planning on using VPN in order to access Syncthing from my phone.

In order to avoid the public relay servers, am I required to run my own relay? I wasn't really sure if running a relay was required, given that I'm doing everything over LAN. Seems like kind of a pain to have to do that, if that's the case.

No, you can just turn it off if you don't want your clients to talk to relays at all:

Hosting your own relay lets you tell your clients to only talk to that specific relay instead of the public ones, but that's not necessary if you have a VPN

e: and the clients will only use a relay if they can't make a direct connection, so I'm not sure why you're concerned about transfer speed degradation (slow transfer is better than no transfer at all?)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't think of a better group of people to ask about this:

Is there a way to archive a Google Group you're subscribed to, but do not own? A Group that contains a massive amount of detailed information on a niche subject is about to shut down, and I'd very much like to preserve what's there. I could in theory go through every post and copy-paste or something equally inefficient, but it's a huge archive and I'm pretty sure it will be shut down before it's physically possible for someone to manually archive its contents.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Dang. I was hoping to avoid having to get a gigantic case for a NAS. I don't exactly have a lot of space for a huge computer case at the moment.
Gigantic isn't really a necessity. It just had plenty of spare drive bays, and if you get the solid panel version of these Define 7 cases, you get sound proofing all around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

The important question isn't how often, it's how much of a pain in the rear end it will be to service when you do?

If I had a NAS or home server, it would have to go somewhere within what you might vaguely call "living spare" -- a closet, or maybe the back of the TV cabinet. I probably wouldn't go for IPMI because plugging in a keyboard & monitor wouldn't be that much of a hassle.

If you can put your server in a basement, attic, crawlspace, or whatever, then it's a huge advantage. Work in situ or haul the PC out to a more congenial workspace: both suck.

100% this.

When I had my server in a cabinet next to my desk and could just hook a KVM up to one of my additional monitors it was no big deal to not have IPMI.

When it was in my basement it became a major pain in the rear end, and of course that was when I had my RAM issues that would occasionally randomly hard lock the machine.

Now it's on a shelf in the closet off of my office so the rear end-pain level is moderate. I keep going back and forth on buying one of the PiKVM kits or just splurging on a new motherboard to get the real thing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Kestral posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't think of a better group of people to ask about this:

Is there a way to archive a Google Group you're subscribed to, but do not own? A Group that contains a massive amount of detailed information on a niche subject is about to shut down, and I'd very much like to preserve what's there. I could in theory go through every post and copy-paste or something equally inefficient, but it's a huge archive and I'm pretty sure it will be shut down before it's physically possible for someone to manually archive its contents.

I don't know anything about Google groups but there's a request a small application thread somewhere here that might take up the challenge of writing a script that will do it for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829017&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 30, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I think you linked the same one twice.

also oh poo poo IPMI. I for sure wanna get in on that. I do have a monitor i could use but it would be super nice to not have to use that.
I did, and was meant as the alternative that has deep mini-ITX.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Dang. I was hoping to avoid having to get a gigantic case for a NAS. I don't exactly have a lot of space for a huge computer case at the moment.
In addition to the Node 804 which is an excellent case as others have pointed out, I have another option:
A friend of mine recently bought [url="https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/nasbox/products/x-case-nasbox-n8c"]one of these which may be more your speed if you're not looking for something huge.

fletcher posted:

IPMI is not just "hey let me get into BIOS easily"; it provides serial-over-LAN which can be very excellent if you're dealing with something that has a tendency to crash (since debuggers love attaching to serial devices as that's an interface that's almost always available to fall back on, since it's often used for platform bring-up), and more importantly on a lot of systems it also provides access to a heck of a lot of system temperature, rail power and current, and fan information (via something called most often called PMbus, an I²C interface found on many servers) that otherwise isn't exposed.
If your OS implements the right driver, the OS can even access it directly without having to do it over the network.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

In addition to the Node 804 which is an excellent case as others have pointed out, I have another option:
A friend of mine recently bought one of these which may be more your speed if you're not looking for something huge.

IPMI is not just "hey let me get into BIOS easily"; it provides serial-over-LAN which can be very excellent if you're dealing with something that has a tendency to crash (since debuggers love attaching to serial devices as that's an interface that's almost always available to fall back on, since it's often used for platform bring-up), and more importantly on a lot of systems it also provides access to a heck of a lot of system temperature, rail power and current, and fan information (via something called most often called PMbus, an I²C interface found on many servers) that otherwise isn't exposed.
If your OS implements the right driver, the OS can even access it directly without having to do it over the network.

That n8c looks nice but it gives me CS381B vibes which I did not have a good experience with due to inadequate airflow over the drives. At least this one has the temp readout right there on the front :D

That's a good point about IPMI for dealing with something that crashes. I suppose I've just been fortunate thus far to not have had that particular use case!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The NSC-810a is another option as well https://www.u-nas.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17640. I had the mini ITX version and it was a pain in the rear end to work in the case and the fans died a couple times throughout its roughly 7 year service span before I disassembled the whole thing and went with a Node 804 temporarily while I worked on my heavy duty Supermicro 16-bay 3U DAS / NAS. The fans I've switched out in the front of the CSE836 aren't pulling in enough air though and I'm having to figure out ducting in the meantime while I weigh 3D printing a fan array bracket someone came up with so I can put in a different set of fans with somewhat comparable airflow as the stock fans that might actually give me hearing damage despite sitting in the floor above it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So I have a Synology DS218+ 2x14tb drives and I'm running out of space. Ideally I'd like to get a 5bay and swap the drives over, and continue buying 14tb's on sale to grow.
If my primary use is Plex, what do I have for upgrade options. Since they moved to AMD, HW Transcodes are gone right, so would it be the DS920+? I don't like the idea of spending so much on 2yro model.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

deong posted:

So I have a Synology DS218+ 2x14tb drives and I'm running out of space. Ideally I'd like to get a 5bay and swap the drives over, and continue buying 14tb's on sale to grow.
If my primary use is Plex, what do I have for upgrade options. Since they moved to AMD, HW Transcodes are gone right, so would it be the DS920+? I don't like the idea of spending so much on 2yro model.

Synology is just now putting out a new 1522+ model, happened to see that yesterday on TPU https://www.techpowerup.com/296359/synology-announces-diskstation-ds1522-5-bay-nas

Fits your ideals, OTOH it's 700 freaking dollars which is pretty stupid expensive for something that only comes with 1GbE out of the box.

But you're kinda hosed on money either way -- synology doesn't do 2-bay expansions anymore, so the only expansion is a 5-bay for $500. There are cheaper 5-bay NASes out there, but then you can't directly move the drives over with data intact.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Klyith posted:

Synology is just now putting out a new 1522+ model, happened to see that yesterday on TPU https://www.techpowerup.com/296359/synology-announces-diskstation-ds1522-5-bay-nas

Fits your ideals, OTOH it's 700 freaking dollars which is pretty stupid expensive for something that only comes with 1GbE out of the box.

But you're kinda hosed on money either way -- synology doesn't do 2-bay expansions anymore, so the only expansion is a 5-bay for $500. There are cheaper 5-bay NASes out there, but then you can't directly move the drives over with data intact.

I saw that, but thought AMD Ryzen would be an issue with plex transcodes? I didn't realize they had 2-bay expansions. Wonder if I can find a used one..

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

deong posted:

I saw that, but thought AMD Ryzen would be an issue with plex transcodes? I didn't realize they had 2-bay expansions. Wonder if I can find a used one..

Oh poo poo ok those new AMD-based models have no integrated GPU at all, so they can't even accelerate the decode side. I thought the upgrade in general power might be enough to do 1080 encode on the fly without acceleration, but if they have to do both decode and encode on the CPU that's a real problem.

Welp, you could move to a different brand, or... have you thought about building your own NAS PC? Particularly if you have old parts around.

edit: also the 2-bay expansions are from like a decade ago, I doubt you'll find one easily. also check compatibility.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tamba posted:

No, you can just turn it off if you don't want your clients to talk to relays at all:

Hosting your own relay lets you tell your clients to only talk to that specific relay instead of the public ones, but that's not necessary if you have a VPN

e: and the clients will only use a relay if they can't make a direct connection, so I'm not sure why you're concerned about transfer speed degradation (slow transfer is better than no transfer at all?)

That did the trick, thanks!

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The NSC-810a is another option as well https://www.u-nas.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17640. I had the mini ITX version and it was a pain in the rear end to work in the case and the fans died a couple times throughout its roughly 7 year service span before I disassembled the whole thing and went with a Node 804 temporarily while I worked on my heavy duty Supermicro 16-bay 3U DAS / NAS. The fans I've switched out in the front of the CSE836 aren't pulling in enough air though and I'm having to figure out ducting in the meantime while I weigh 3D printing a fan array bracket someone came up with so I can put in a different set of fans with somewhat comparable airflow as the stock fans that might actually give me hearing damage despite sitting in the floor above it.

oh man this one is on my list too. let me know how the ducting thing goes. I may end up going this route. I think it'll fit perfectly in the spot i have for it. (and hopefully the deep itx board fits it)

also for that X570D4I-NL, i found a review saying that ECC reporting might not be working on that board? It was a review for that board that was talking about other boards but they didn't seem to know for sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smashing Link posted:

I have a really cute little 4" VGA/HDMI Monitor I keep around for these kinds of situations.

I have one of these in my work bag that gets used randomly. Perfect for what it is. https://www.startech.com/en-us/server-management/notecons02

Nothing replaces good IPMI tho.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PiKVM as a DIY IPMI is a good solution for systems that don’t have it too. Only problem is getting the Pi hardware these days can be a challenge.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
PiKVM works on Odroid hardware which are much higher performance than Pis / $ and at the least are substantially easier to obtain for ballpark similar prices.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anybody have a CyberPower UPS?

https://reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/voy9kl/cyberpower_cp1500pfclcd_fire_hazard/

I'm feeling pretty uneasy about my CP1500AVR now. Looking at replacing it with an Eaton 5SC. Also been meaning to get a 2U or 3U one for my rack, now that it has more than just networking equipment in it, to replace a 1U CyberPower I've had for a couple years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have the European version of the PFCLCD. Thing is like four years old now and worked fine so far.

--edit:
Well, goddamn. If I have to replace this, this is gonna cost a pretty penny, because I'm sure as gently caress not gonna get a "modified sine wave" model again.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 3, 2022

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Yeah..... think that's the one I picked up from Costco. Guess I'm going to have to stick with APC. I knew there's probably something being compromised to get the price that low but I didn't think it was that kind of a compromise. Not sure if I can go to Costco to get it refunded now over 2 years later but I can certainly try to tell the folks on the floor that they should pressure the company at least. That's something I know Costco has the power to do and routinely does to their suppliers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm i think that is what I have too. I was annoyed how the battery failed silently on it too despite no notification that there was nothing in case of power outage, which happened. I got the battery replaced but would not buy again anyway.

It got a lot of recommendations so that’s doubly annoying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Hm i think that is what I have too. I was annoyed how the battery failed silently on it too despite no notification that there was nothing in case of power outage, which happened. I got the battery replaced but would not buy again anyway.

It got a lot of recommendations so that’s doubly annoying.

UPS batteries that aren't being regularly tested will pretty much always fail silently. Very few consumer UPSes have the ability to run a self test, including consumer units from APC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

UPS batteries that aren't being regularly tested will pretty much always fail silently. Very few consumer UPSes have the ability to run a self test, including consumer units from APC.

Hm I had expected it to beep or something, I have an old old APC one that was the oversized power bar style that would go nuts whenever the battery died. I have replaced the battery on it twice now over a long time. It powers my network switch and cable modem.

Also the Cyberpower would just shut everything down if the self test was run either by pushing the front button or via the software. And lock up the software. Definitely not buying one of those again!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Motronic posted:

Isn't that why apcupsd exists?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Hm I had expected it to beep or something, I have an old old APC one that was the oversized power bar style that would go nuts whenever the battery died. I have replaced the battery on it twice now over a long time. It powers my network switch and cable modem.

The "detection" on those UPSes (I have a few of them) is when it can't charge properly anymore. The battery was dead (as in uselessly short lifespan measured in seconds with no load at all) for a very long time before that. This unfortunately just comes with the territory of cost engineering consumer UPSes.

Things that are made for rackmount service and the like typically have the ability to schedule both battery health tests and runtime calibration tests to determine how long they will last at their current load. If you really really need to rely on a UPS this is the minimum feature set I'd be looking for.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just took a look at the APC site and it's not at all clear which lines have the fancy features. Anyone happen to already know? I'd pay extra for a UPS that can tell me the battery is failing and not just surprise me when we lose power.

Unrelated, I replaced a disk on my FreeNAS server yesterday and went to update the spreadsheet I made tracking serial numbers and date of purchase. I built the box in 2017, which is apparently not "just a couple years ago." This is the first time I've had any reason to crack the case since I built it. Here's to you, Supermicro, Seasonic, and Fractal Design.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Anybody have a CyberPower UPS?

https://reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/voy9kl/cyberpower_cp1500pfclcd_fire_hazard/

I'm feeling pretty uneasy about my CP1500AVR now. Looking at replacing it with an Eaton 5SC. Also been meaning to get a 2U or 3U one for my rack, now that it has more than just networking equipment in it, to replace a 1U CyberPower I've had for a couple years.

Some additional UPS discussion over on the HN thread: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31954938

I just ordered the Eaton 5SC1500. Pricier than my CyberPower CP1500AVR ($160 vs. $430) but the Eaton seems to be a quality unit. I don't think I really needed to pay the premium for a pure sinewave model, but for something that I'll have for a while it doesn't seem like to frivolous of an expense.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I just rolled my freenas box over from Core to Scale and upgraded the hardware from an i7 3770(non-k) to a Ryzen 5 2600, exported the config, installed on the new hardware and then imported made a few tweaks to ACLs and shares and networking and it's all working, apart from the two apps I was still using jails for. I'm going to start from scratch with both as I never really managed to get them to migrate into docker under the old setup. The Ubutu server VM I've been using as a docker host came over and worked as before once I set up a new bridge network, so that's really nice. Both systems had 32gb of ram, and memory usage seems a bit lower on Scale, but not sure if it's due to a lack of real reads on the media shares or not, will see. I'm aiming to move all the docker containers over to scale and shut down the vm if I can.

One question I have - I moved from booting from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive to a 250gb NVME, and looking at the actual size of the boot partition, about 245gb of that drive is probably never going to get used. I was thinking of partitioning it off to a ~32gb boot partition and using the rest for either a system dataset pool, or maybe ZIL or L2ARC or something. It's currently a single drive, but I can grab another and mirror it easily enough. I want to know if this is a really poo poo idea, or fundamentally fine in my use case.

For further context:

I'm currently running 3tb reds and one 4 I had lying around in a 4x3tb Z1 array, with two 500gb oem desktop drives in a mirror for the system dataset. The Z1 array is used for media and application data for the usenet stuff, the mirror is only used for the VM's block level storage, the Freenas System dataset and temporary storage for downloads.

The server is really only used for media and a bit of random homelab stuff, running Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/sab etc, and some other little QoL tools like Traefik to support those services. There's no super critical data on there so following best practice isn't really that important for me. I'm already running non-ECC ram and thinking of moving to a single 8tb drive for the bulk of my media storage anyway, and rebuilding the Z1 into a smaller 3x3 array for the application data so I can use that random 4 in my desktop or something.

The performance is a bit average when using the Freenas UI, and I put it down to the system dataset being on a fairly slow array, so if I can improve that I'd like to.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Don Dongington posted:

One question I have - I moved from booting from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive to a 250gb NVME, and looking at the actual size of the boot partition, about 245gb of that drive is probably never going to get used. I was thinking of partitioning it off to a ~32gb boot partition and using the rest for either a system dataset pool, or maybe ZIL or L2ARC or something. It's currently a single drive, but I can grab another and mirror it easily enough. I want to know if this is a really poo poo idea, or fundamentally fine in my use case.

The performance is a bit average when using the Freenas UI, and I put it down to the system dataset being on a fairly slow array, so if I can improve that I'd like to.

I probably wouldn't bother with the partitioning. Keep the boot drive simple, sounds like a hassle if you ever had to replace it. If a second nvme is in the works, use that for l2arc

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah it's doable, the only issue is apparently the onboard m.2 slot on this mainboard locks out the last 2 of 6 sata ports if used, so that means removing the GPU to install a second NVME sled, or changing to a new board. But the more I think about it, the more I'd rather keep my system dataset mirrored. Maybe I'll swap poo poo around and run it on the RAID or something, should boost performance a little.

E. Right now I'm kinda occupied fixing an issue wherein apparently kubernetes wants to keep using the nic from my old system, and won't let me even open the advanced settings menu in the gui to fix it.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 4, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Despite the fact that it'll probably require a reinstall+reupload of config, I think you should look into whether it's an SSD that you can under-provision, thereby upping the total number of writes that can be done to the drive.
That way you don't have to set your system dataset to something other than the boot dataset, and anything that gets written to your pool goes straight onto the disks as larger chunks (unless it's very small synchronous writes, I guess).

Speaking of the dual-pools in TrueNAS, I do think it'd be possible to lay out the filesystem of a NAS appliance much better than TrueNAS is now; the legacy of being based on NanoBSD from a long long time ago really does hurt it a bit, when you consider that ZFS is meant for pooled storage whereas NanoBSD achieved its configuration atomicity by using /cfg for configuration files that got copied onto the root filesystem which was initialized from a geom_uzip(4) partition.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 4, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fletcher posted:

Some additional UPS discussion over on the HN thread: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31954938

I just ordered the Eaton 5SC1500. Pricier than my CyberPower CP1500AVR ($160 vs. $430) but the Eaton seems to be a quality unit. I don't think I really needed to pay the premium for a pure sinewave model, but for something that I'll have for a while it doesn't seem like to frivolous of an expense.

https://www.provantage.com/eaton-5sc1500~7EPW95CN.htm

$358+28.95 shipping

I'm considering it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Despite the fact that it'll probably require a reinstall+reupload of config, I think you should look into whether it's an SSD that you can under-provision, thereby upping the total number of writes that can be done to the drive.

Under-provisioning a modern SSD is as simple as leaving empty space on the drive.

The drive's over-provision space isn't really distinct in any way. It just tells the PC it is smaller than the true amount of flash storage. All free space is equal, whether it comes from internal over-provision, unpartitioned space, or just free space on a volume.

Though I guess in a CoW FS you'd want unpartitioned space to avoid the 'free' space filling up with old snapshots.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Probably better over in the Homelab thread but a rackmount UPS is something I’ve been in the market for (my Cyberpower UPS was temporary at least I can say). Looking for deals over the past three years in vain I’m kind of annoyed at the state of SMB rackmount UPSes and PDUs. Anyone got decent recommendations on a UPS that does pure sine wave and is at least 1500VA capacity? Only have about 300w of equipment but occasionally need to pump out 1 kw when I do an ML training session for a couple days. Budget is $400 and want it to be dual voltage capable with swappable power plugs (don’t think any in this market segment have fixed plugs but things are odd). Getting a good replaceable battery seems like the most important feature long term as well. Not sure if it’s cheaper and more reliable to have a power conditioner to get a pure sine wave with a more mediocre UPS given my actual power uptime needs are so modest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

want it to be dual voltage capable with swappable power plugs (don’t think any in this market segment have fixed plugs but things are odd)

You want what now? Can you explain this in a bit more detail?

I spec these things for datacenters as a course of my job and I've never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about something that can take 120v as well as 208/220 and has some manner of inlet cord that is detachable, probably with a C14 or similar on it? And you're saying that's actually a thing that commonly exists?