Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

having the executive admit it made a mistake would undermine public confidence in the legitimacy of the executive branch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shear Modulus posted:

technically, the answer isn't "no," it's "you don't have standing to ask that"

loll

titty_baby_ posted:

Glad that a non zero amount.of members of the highest court of tje land are the IQ equivalent of boomers sharing facebook posts

I thought this was a baseline requirement to be in the federalist society

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

make everyone a Supreme Court justice

every adult citizen

My no joke answer is that the justices should decide what cases to take and write opinions and the people should vote on the opinions.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

titty_baby_ posted:

Glad that a non zero amount.of members of the highest court of tje land are the IQ equivalent of boomers sharing facebook posts

Thomas is part of the Federalist Society (as well as most of the court) so it's more evil bullshit over dumb bullshit (but it can be both)

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

so libs view the Supreme Court as an infallible pope with a direct line to god the founding fathers

Shear Modulus posted:

more or less, yes, except technically the entity that takes the role of god here is the constitution, not the founders. the role the founders play for people like clarence thomas is that they were the constitutional clergy even before the court, and when they descended from the mountain with the constitution written on clay tablets they had the best idea of what it meant.

nobody anywhere actually gives a poo poo about the founding fathers or the constitution, and anyone that claims they do is lying either to you or to themselves. conservatives use them as props to justify the intensely reactionary ideologies they already hold, and libs use them as props to conceal the fact that they have no meaningful ideology to begin with. the factual character of ~the founders~ and their leavings is wholly irrelevant to the purpose they serve in modern discourse and governance

the justices themselves are all acutely aware that their role is nakedly political, and their legal contortions serve exclusively to offer a pretense of impartiality/authority while they continue just doing whatever the gently caress they want

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the only people who are allowed to guess at the intentions of the founding government are the supreme court and they've declared they get as much power as they want

It's funny to think about the right wing judicial project inching closer and closer to this moment at a glacier's pace for decades while Democrats just sat there and watched it happen. Now they're buried in ice and still don't know what to do with themselves

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's funny to think about the right wing judicial project inching closer and closer to this moment at a glacier's pace for decades while Democrats just sat there and watched it happen. Now they're buried in ice and still don't know what to do with themselves

they’ve been sending emails and taking extended recesses what more do you want

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

more or less, yes, except technically the entity that takes the role of god here is the constitution, not the founders. the role the founders play for people like clarence thomas is that they were the constitutional clergy even before the court, and when they descended from the mountain with the constitution written on clay tablets they had the best idea of what it meant.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1539303330131886080?s=20&t=bd9IsAnPZoKXliuBhwzDqw
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1537493093653438464?s=20&t=bd9IsAnPZoKXliuBhwzDqw

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

which sentence?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's the dome of the capital that has a huge painting of Washington ascending into heaven right

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

these proud law wizards are going to go back to their suburban homes after all this and enjoy a nice peaceful summer

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

which sentence?

Probably the establishment clause

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

nobody anywhere actually gives a poo poo about the founding fathers or the constitution, and anyone that claims they do is lying either to you or to themselves. conservatives use them as props to justify the intensely reactionary ideologies they already hold, and libs use them as props to conceal the fact that they have no meaningful ideology to begin with. the factual character of ~the founders~ and their leavings is wholly irrelevant to the purpose they serve in modern discourse and governance

the justices themselves are all acutely aware that their role is nakedly political, and their legal contortions serve exclusively to offer a pretense of impartiality/authority while they continue just doing whatever the gently caress they want

plenty of rank and file liberals that actually believe(d) the democrats' bullshit seemed to actually believe in the constitution. someone like elizabeth warren or the people who supported her in the primary, that worships rules for their own sake

warren, who right now is apparently trying to trick the rest of the democrats to support court packing by arguing that the conservatives have hijacked the court and made it political, and so the democrats need to pack the court to un-politicize it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i can't wait to go to heaven and watch the founders get tortured by satan's worst minions in hell

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i can't wait to go to heaven and watch the founders get tortured by satan's worst minions in hell

I like the idea that heaven has the equivalent of that hill where Israelis go to watch Gaza get bombed

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ben franklin's into it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

StashAugustine posted:

It's the dome of the capital that has a huge painting of Washington ascending into heaven right

not just going to heaven, becoming a god

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apotheosis_of_Washington

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1542542083268952065?t=dxVqBt9hNSK4BlVWoSjWfA&s=19

:thunk:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm excited for all the insane new laws a bunch of states are going to pass in order to force a challenge in the supreme court. or the flagrant rulebreaking that industries are going to try so that they can go argue to the supreme court that burning tires in a big pit is fine because it doesn't immediately hurt people and there's no other way to do it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure I can guess what it will be

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

theres essentially nothing stopping a chud government deciding the supreme court is now an iranian-style supreme religious governing body, there's no requirement supreme court justices need experience practicing law, they could be pastors for all it matters

they're saving that spicy plot twist for sweeps week

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm pretty sure I can guess what it will be

probably pretty similar to what they said when Brian Kemp just declared himself governor of georgia and burned the rest of the ballots!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The EPA should just rage quit, Biden should announce that all energy and oil and manufacturing companies have two weeks to drop prices by 85% "because they've been whining for years that their price increases are due to over regulation".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a romulus allusion.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Romul us and ream us, please xi

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The upside to the climate ruling is deregulating coal and gas means more greenhouse emissions which means we all die faster.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The epa can only regulate emissions "within the fence" so just make your exhaust pipe be right on the fence line pointing out, bing bong

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The EPA should just rage quit, Biden should announce that all energy and oil and manufacturing companies have two weeks to drop prices by 85% "because they've been whining for years that their price increases are due to over regulation".

"Actually we're doubling them."

"Someone should do something about this."

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://reddit-uploaded-video.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/t2_mzv0zi70%2Fc3im9hra1u891

scene outside of Supreme Court last night

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

american civil religion is creepy as gently caress and another thing that in a just world would go into the dumpster fire

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Justin Tyme posted:

The epa can only regulate emissions "within the fence" so just make your exhaust pipe be right on the fence line pointing out, bing bong

this is why coal power plants tend to be built on state borders :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“If their efforts to take away your right to vote makes you mad, there’s only one way to make it right. Don’t boo, vote!” Obama said, repeating the last word as the audience began chanting, “Vote! Vote! Vote!”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

whole buncha coal plants in southern NV and UT which send their power to CA because CA has banned coal power within its borders

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
https://twitter.com/TessaDuvall/status/1542509112470097920

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Mr. Sharps posted:

this is also how i play simcity, protip

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
:same:

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

That dude yelling “cope and seethe” must be giddy that he finally got to yell at a real-life “Stacy”.

God, I hate how the worst types of online politics (incels, 4chan Nazis, etc) has completely spilled over into real life. Living in hyperreality loving sucks.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1542523319211008002
Kinda cool how the Republicans had a situation where the Dems were more docile and ineffectual than an actual controlled opposition party, an institution practically designed to redirect public anger at how lovely everything is through a series of baffles until it dissipates, and are knocking it all down. Like maybe this is just the end result of 40 years of one side governing using partisan logic and the other side refusing to, but surely they have to realize that making the political conditions such that moderation is impossible is bad for them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Kinda cool how the Republicans had a situation where the Dems were more docile and ineffectual than an actual controlled opposition party, an institution practically designed to redirect public anger at how lovely everything is through a series of baffles until it dissipates, and are knocking it all down. Like maybe this is just the end result of 40 years of one side governing using partisan logic and the other side refusing to, but surely they have to realize that making the political conditions such that moderation is impossible is bad for them, right?

the Democrats have painted themselves into a corner where keeping up the appearance of being an opposition party requires them to do things that their donors will not allow