Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually, speaking of Rebels, it's reminded me of Clone Wars. Or, more precisely, this moment from the planned 7th season that was only ever done as an animatic. There's some good stuff in the full animatic, like Anakin showing off gun-kata after he loses his lightsaber and Obi-Wan trying not to be impressed, but the 90 seconds where Anakin and Obi-Wan talk about Ahsoka's decision to leave the Jedi Order, Anakin's anger over it and how Obi-Wan would feel if Anakin turned out to be a "huge disappointment" is probably the kind of thing the show was ultimately built to lead into and it's just a pity one of the show's strongest moments never made it past the animatic stage. Still, even as just an animatic it's still one of the best moments in Star Wars to me.

There's also this entire thing from Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj07qh51zPI

...with Mace Windu just stylin' all over a droid army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Veers should have been on Endor, like the early drafts had.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Uploading Lola to the Tantive IV's computer would be interesting :unsmith:

Then you remember it gets destroyed in RoS :smith:

Let's be clear--it was destroyed in ANH. They specifically scuttled it and claimed it was destroyed in an accident. I don't know why they were calling that ship in RoS Tantive IV, because that obviously wasn't it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That was definitely the intent, but like Luke not seeing Reva's lightsaber, it's one of those things where it technically doesn't contradict anything:

Star Wars posted:

COMMANDER
She’ll die before she’ll tell you anything.

VADER
Leave that to me. Send a distress signal and then inform the senate that all aboard were killed!

Another Imperial Officer approaches Vader and the Commander. They stop and snap to attention.

SECOND OFFICER
Lord Vader, the battle station plans are not aboard this ship! And no transmissions were made. An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting, but no life forms were aboard.

Vader turns to the Commander.

VADER
She must have hidden the plans in the escape pod. Send a detachment down to retrieve them. See to it personally, Commander. There’ll be no one to stop us this time.

It certainly implies they're going to destroy the ship, but since the dialogue explicitly saying so was cut from the movie, they got to worm the ship into Episode 9:

Star Wars Revised Fourth Draft posted:

COMMANDER
She’ll die before she gives you any information.

VADER
Leave that to me. Send a distress signal. Call it a meteorite storm. Then inform her father and the senate that all aboard were killed.

The troopers approach Vader and the commander. They stop and snap to attention.

TROOPER
The data tapes are not on board this ship. No transmissions were made. A malfunctioning repair pod was jettisoned during the fighting, but we’ve confirmed that there were no life form aboard…

VADER
They must have put the tapes in the repair pod. Send a detachment down to retrieve them. Be subtle. Don’t attract attention… vaporize this ship. Don’t leave anything.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tsob posted:

3: Falynn Sandskimmer finally climbing out of Luke Skywalker's shadow as THE pilot from Tattoine and making a name for herself by flying into a damaged Star Destroyer and destroying it from the inside

5: "Yub yub Commander"

Two elements from Wraith Squadron :hmmyes:

Also needs Ton Phanan’s death or basically all of Starfighters of Adumar.

RIP Aaron Allston

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

fartknocker posted:

RIP Aaron Allston

You know, I never actually read Starfighters of Adumar, since it was written and released years after the rest. I kind of thought it focused on Rogue Squadron over Wraith Squadron too, and Wraith Squadron were always the more interesting of the set. Almost every character in the books was fun in some fashion. Face, Piggy, Runt, the lot really. I wonder could you even buy a Legends book now? I haven't read any of them in years, but if Starfighters is good, then it'd certainly be an excuse to do so again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tsob posted:

You know, I never actually read Starfighters of Adumar, since it was written and released years after the rest. I kind of thought it focused on Rogue Squadron over Wraith Squadron too, and Wraith Squadron were always the more interesting of the set. Almost every character in the books was fun in some fashion. Face, Piggy, Runt, the lot really. I wonder could you even buy a Legends book now? I haven't read any of them in years, but if Starfighters is good, then it'd certainly be an excuse to do so again.

You’re describing Mercy Kill from 2012, which isn’t bad but it’s also chronologically the second to last book of the old EU.

Starfighters of Adumar is Wedge, Jason, Hobbie, and Tycho trying to impress a pilot-crazy planet from 1999, set a few years after the Jedi Academy trilogy (And more specifically, I think just after the Calista Trilogy). You can probably still find old copies or reprints with the “Legends” tag on them, and I think they’ve been working their way through rereleases of the X-wing series with new art for the last year or so.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 30, 2022

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:negative:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Madurai posted:

Let's be clear--it was destroyed in ANH. They specifically scuttled it and claimed it was destroyed in an accident. I don't know why they were calling that ship in RoS Tantive IV, because that obviously wasn't it.

It was the Tantive IV NCC-1701-A

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

fartknocker posted:

You’re describing Mercy Kill from 2012, which isn’t bad but it’s also chronologically the second to last book of the old EU.

Starfighters of Adumar is Wedge, Jason, Hobbie, and Tycho trying to impress a pilot-crazy planet from 1999, set a few years after the Jedi Academy trilogy (And more specifically, I think just after the Calista Trilogy). You can probably still find old copies or reprints with the “Legends” tag on them, and I think they’ve been working their way through rereleases of the X-wing series with new art for the last year or so.

Oh, so I am. I always stopped at Isard's Revenge when reading the X-Wing books for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't able to find Starfighters of Adumar in my library or local bookshop at the time or something; can't recall why off-hand. Second hand copies are still up on Amazon through resellers, so I think I might grab that and try and dig out my copies of the first 8 books to re-read them at some point.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

fartknocker posted:

RIP Aaron Allston

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bring back "literally an animal's head on a human body" as an alien archetype, LucasFilm

Give me Desann, you cowards

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vinylshadow posted:

Bring back "literally an animal's head on a human body" as an alien archetype, LucasFilm

Give me Desann, you cowards

He reached down and took a blaster pistol from the dead stormtrooper beside him. Something loomed up before him and struck him across the face.

He crashed to the floor atop the body of a stormtrooper. The blow was incredible. He saw stars and his hearing failed. His body wouldn't respond.

His attacker bent over him. It was a nonhuman, a big hairy thing burned all over its upper body, with wide, staring eyes and lips drawn back over square teeth. It grabbed him by the collar and hauled him, all 130 kilograms of him, up into the air as though he weighed nothing.

Netbers lashed out at the alien, striking at one of its burned patches, but the creature grabbed his wrist with its free hand.

Then, as casually as though it were swinging a bag of grain, it slammed him into the wall. He felt his shoulder blade break under the impact, felt something grate in his neck as his head battered into the metal of the wall.

Where are my stormtroopers? But now there were black-clad, burned commandos charging past him, running toward the stairwell by which he and his men had descended. The commandos were firing blasters, shouting-Netbers could hear no noise.

The first wave of them passed and the burned alien swung him toward the opposite wall. Netbers felt himself hit, felt his right shoulder give way, felt something in his neck explode.

Then he felt no more.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Robot Style posted:

That was definitely the intent, but like Luke not seeing Reva's lightsaber, it's one of those things where it technically doesn't contradict anything:

It certainly implies they're going to destroy the ship, but since the dialogue explicitly saying so was cut from the movie, they got to worm the ship into Episode 9:

So... did the Empire impound and store the ship somewhere? The obvious first place to dump it somewhere would have aboard the Death Star, so...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The explanation they came up with was that it was sent to a salvage yard, but for whatever reason sat in a hangar for years until some senator found out about it and gave it back to Leia has a gift.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not sure what my top 5 would be but the failure is not the end/new saber bit on Ilum in Fallen Order is one of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tsob posted:

There's also this entire thing from Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj07qh51zPI

...with Mace Windu just stylin' all over a droid army.

The Mace vs Droid army bit from the Genndy Clone Wars gets posted a lot, and rightfully so, but I love the moody duel between Anakin and Ventress more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbBKHB1Sffg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure what my top 5 would be but the failure is not the end/new saber bit on Ilum in Fallen Order is one of them.
JFO does such a better job with almost the same 'Jedi redemption' plot as the Obi-Wan series

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Should have just made a live-action show that takes place between FO and its sequel. But make it with more money and have it not look like cheap poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That wouldn't have been a bad idea since there is apparently a big timeskip between the two games?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

That wouldn't have been a bad idea since there is apparently a big timeskip between the two games?

JFO was 14BBY; Survivor takes place concurrent with the Kenobi series at 9BBY

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

JFO was 14BBY; Survivor takes place concurrent with the Kenobi series at 9BBY

Also means it's just after Solo if they want to have Maul make an appearance.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to the Disney edits of the classic trilogy where a CGI Princess Leia sends a new message to Kenobi that starts off with, "Remember those times you rescued me from getting kidnapped and told me never to let it happen again? Well, about that..."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also means it's just after Solo if they want to have Maul make an appearance.

Oh good, they can use it for Crimson Dawn exposition, even though its role in the comics should hopefully be long done by then, but hey, everyone needs an origin story, and we know Qui'ra knows Teras-Kasi, so maybe she'll be a boss

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Can we please pump the brakes on canonizing the worst SW game?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Madurai posted:

Solo already went there.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Madurai posted:

star wars galaxies ruled.....

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Solo already went there.

And maybe if no one else does anything, it'll slide quietly away.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unfortunately that game didn't invent teras-kasi, it came from the Shadows of the Empire novel which we definitely also should not canonize.

(except for Dash Rendar)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Madurai posted:

Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi for PS1 isn't anywhere near the worst SW game ever made.

tsob posted:

1: Replaying TIE Fighter missions you struggled with using the TIE Defender and pissing all over every obstacle
2: Yoda calling the Emperor and saying "Coming to see you I am, right now" as he's crashing the "Justice Star" into Coruscant at the end of "Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope" to kill the Emperor
3: Falynn Sandskimmer finally climbing out of Luke Skywalker's shadow as THE pilot from Tattoine and making a name for herself by flying into a damaged Star Destroyer and destroying it from the inside
4: Borsk Fey'lya telling Vong invaders to go gently caress themselves rather than surrender after spending so long in EU books being a bureaucratic dick at every turn
5: "Yub yub Commander"

Borsky Fey'lya eventually became the real main villain in my Star Wars: The Roleplaying game group because the other GM and I used him and his bureaucratic rules every time we needed block the players from doing stuff we didn't want them to. Good times, thanks for bringing back that memory, I'd completely forgotten about him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I like the lava planet fight a lot, while they're inside. Once they get outside and start hopping around on platforms, they start losing me.

But when they're inside and just going to town on each other with lightsabers, it's very much "my poo poo".

Oh definitely. And as much as I love John Williams, the choice to use no music until the very end was great. Just roars of engines, explosions, and screams from soon to be dead aliens.

The most ridiculous thing is that canonically, the only racer to die is the dude who smashed and blew up in the cave. Another background racer just drove off into the flats and disappeared, but all of the other crashes were survived.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://fandomwire.com/samuel-l-jackson-reportedly-returning-as-mace-windu-in-the-book-of-boba-fett-season-2/

:getin:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can’t wait to be underwhelmed by that!

E: the source on that….. lol cmon man

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Star Wars universe is cool. No one ever dies.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

budget cuts hit sheev so loving hard man. dude had the money and wherewithal to retrieve windu's splattered remains, resuscitate him, put him in a lil amber tube, and gift him to vader, all while running 9000 other plots. but no money for like, security guards

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, with that grey-flecked goatee, Jackson reminds me of Jolee Bindo

Wonder if that means we'll get a reflective Mace Windu

"What's there to say? [Mace Windu] is the crazy old man who lives in the dangerous woods. I am content with the impression I give."
"Heroes and tyrants rise and fall, and historians sort out the pieces… don't go thinking that this war—your war—is any more important than any other war simply because you're in it."
"I wasn't always the wrinkled coot I am now, you know. I can still fight, too, so wipe off that smirk I see there."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

jesus christ man are we really doing a boba fett 2.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

YOU HAVE TWO BOBA FETT SHOWS YOU FOOLS

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That DICK! posted:

jesus christ man are we really doing a boba fett 2.

2 Boba 2 Fett: Tatooine Drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Interesting new characters: 1
Compelling storylines: 1
Boba Fetts: 3600
Planets other than Tatooine or basically Tatooine: 2

someone who is good at content production please help me budget this. my franchise is dying