Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you'd have to be exceptionally gullible to think it wasn't intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

vegetables posted:

I think the odds of pulling any given textured foil from a Collector Booster are nearly or exactly the same as the odds of pulling any given non-textured borderless foil mythic, but I might have hosed up the math. The difference is that you can get the non-textured foil mythics in draft packs as well, but at vanishingly low rates

In 2XM VIP packs, a close analogue to 2X2 CBs, the borderless foil cards were 2-1 rare-to-mythic ratio. If that's the same, then each pack will have 1/3 of a borderless foil mythic, meaning you have to open 60 packs to see one of each of the 20 borderless foil mythics.

They've stated textured foils have a 3% drop rate, and there is only a pool of 5 of them, which means opening 167 packs to see one of each textured foil.

So the total supply of say, a textured foil Kozilek will around half that of a borderless foil Kozilek if that math holds.

Amusingly etched foils mythics are also going to take 160 collector packs or more to see any given one, because that one slot has 160(!) different cards in it. And they will be the rarest treatment if etched foil mythics drop at a lower rate than etched foil rares beyond the simple fact that there are 120 rares and only 40 mythics.

All these variants make my brain hurt and make the hobby worse. Oh well!

coelomate fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 1, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
None of them are going to be worth anything in like two years. Hyper rare collector's edition treadmills helped kill the comic book industry.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Do you mean the glut of variants all through the 90s?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

coelomate posted:

I don't mind them, you don't absolutely have to go for the whalebait to get the cards. In fact, I'd say the whalebait drives the cost of regular cards down. Like for example, a gilded foil Raffine is like $63, but a showcase foil is a mere $10, showcase is 6, and regular nonfoil a simple 4.

I've always wanted Magic to have variety in card frames and foil treatments, and while it's caused a lot of marketing confusion and possibly the rise of sealed prices, getting singles is pretty affordable*.

*I still have brainworms and will buy up all the showcases and etched foils of cards I want when I can, if the price isn't too different, because I like shiny things.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Fuckin comics are so expensive now there are so many I just will never be able to read in paper

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

uggy posted:

Fuckin comics are so expensive now there are so many I just will never be able to read in paper

That's because nobody *reads* comics nowadays. Even a 'big' title will have a run in the 30K range, all of which goes straight into polybags and longboxes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Back in my day there weren't no fancy borderless this and foil that. We was happy when they gave us the rarity on the set symbol!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I personally feel that Magic really sold out to the casuals when rarity was expressed as a color on the set symbol. Never completely bounced back from that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Foils should have never left the border of the cards. :colbert: poo poo always looks ugly when it's completely foiled over when all you want to do is admire the pretty art and read what the drat card says.

Also etched foil art is super loving dim, AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT KIDS AND THEIR AVOCADO TOAST......

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

coelomate posted:

In 2XM VIP packs, a close analogue to 2X2 CBs, the borderless foil cards were 2-1 rare-to-mythic ratio. If that's the same, then each pack will have 1/3 of a borderless foil mythic, meaning you have to open 60 packs to see one of each of the 20 borderless foil mythics.

They've stated textured foils have a 3% drop rate, and there is only a pool of 5 of them, which means opening 167 packs to see one of each textured foil.

So the total supply of say, a textured foil Kozilek will around half that of a borderless foil Kozilek if that math holds.

Amusingly etched foils mythics are also going to take 160 collector packs or more to see any given one, because that one slot has 160(!) different cards in it. And they will be the rarest treatment if etched foil mythics drop at a lower rate than etched foil rares beyond the simple fact that there are 120 rares and only 40 mythics.

derped my math here initially by using 40 borderless mythics, but it's actually 20. So FWIW textured koz will be a bit more than twice as rare as borderless foil koz (and >4 times as rare as any borderless koz, if you count the non-foils).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jiro posted:

Foils should have never left the border of the cards. :colbert: poo poo always looks ugly when it's completely foiled over when all you want to do is admire the pretty art and read what the drat card says.

Also etched foil art is super loving dim, AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT KIDS AND THEIR AVOCADO TOAST......
I really liked the old foils. the ones from urza's legacy etc. the color was brilliant and I liked the little shooting star logo.

also, go buy one of the cheapo commander legends 1 etched foils to see what they looked like, they're far far better than any other etched foils since.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 1, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Back in my day there weren't no fancy borderless this and foil that. We was happy when they gave us the rarity on the set symbol!

Bah, what's this Portal stuff doing on my basic lands? How's you supposed to know what the dang card does when it's just a big old mana symbol, rather than a proper sentence explaining the rules? Bad enough they switched the tap symbol from a sensible tilted T to whatever that twisty arrow thing is!

(That said, I did like how Portal called blockers "interceptors" to drive home that you attack the player, not their creatures, and the creatures are getting in the way of the attack, which was one of the top problems beginners seemed to have back in the 90s)

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 1, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

This except unironically

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Bah, what's this Portal stuff doing on my basic lands? How's you supposed to know what the dang card does when it's just a big old mana symbol, rather than a proper sentence explaining the rules?

this also

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Back in my day there were three frames: the new one, the old one, and the textless one.
Then if you played states you got the mtgo looking one

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

This except unironically

Oh I'm fuckin serious about foiling, was so happy to see it old style in the retro frames in MH2. Makes it so bearable to look at.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I have some Invasion block foils that would blind a man if you held them in the sunlight, especially the white ones

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

also, go buy one of the cheapo commander legends 1 etched foils to see what they looked like, they're far far better than any other etched foils since.

I have plenty of Commander legends 1 etched foils the art is dark as gently caress compared to regular cards and or the reg foils.

I've been disappointed in the commander precon face commanders for following the same dulled art for the same reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HootTheOwl posted:

Back in my day there were three frames: the new one, the old one, and the textless one.
Then if you played states you got the mtgo looking one

This really needs a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOE-lNs6qe4

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Collectors Boosters and all the variant arts have done nothing besides drive the price of the regular singles down, and the constant handwringing over them is some :corsair: poo poo. All popular trading card games printed now have full art/variant arts and it would be ridiculous if Magic did not. You don’t have to buy them, and the regular versions are cheaper because they exist.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
There are so many different variants that look completely different that it seems like the primary target is people who like to mismatch their deck as much as possible. SNC had like 4 different alternate frames plus the Phyrexian Urabrask.

All old border or all foil is like an actual aesthetic you can aim for, but if you like the Art Deco frame or whatever, you can't Art Deco your whole deck, and if you go for "all showcases" or "all Secret Lairs" you end up with a bunch of clashing styles. It's like clownsuit armour in vanilla WoW

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

There are so many different variants that look completely different that it seems like the primary target is people who like to mismatch their deck as much as possible. SNC had like 4 different alternate frames plus the Phyrexian Urabrask.

All old border or all foil is like an actual aesthetic you can aim for, but if you like the Art Deco frame or whatever, you can't Art Deco your whole deck, and if you go for "all showcases" or "all Secret Lairs" you end up with a bunch of clashing styles. It's like clownsuit armour in vanilla WoW

fun fact: as wow entered the long tail of basically getting few new players and just being the same people hoovering up literally every scrap of content they could, old clownsuit armour actually came back into style because it was a bunch of fun unique pieces you could mix with more coordinated better modeled modern stuff to give it some pop. i expect the explosion of frames to kind of be the same - sure, you can't Art Deco your whole deck but you can Art Deco your Elspeths and have them fit with your other Secret Lairs/borderless/alters.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Arivia posted:

fun fact: as wow entered the long tail of basically getting few new players and just being the same people hoovering up literally every scrap of content they could, old clownsuit armour actually came back into style because it was a bunch of fun unique pieces you could mix with more coordinated better modeled modern stuff to give it some pop. i expect the explosion of frames to kind of be the same - sure, you can't Art Deco your whole deck but you can Art Deco your Elspeths and have them fit with your other Secret Lairs/borderless/alters.

But if you have Art Deco styles, D&D rulebook styles, Kaldheim showcase and whatever, they don't really fit in together in any way other than "not looking like normal Magic cards"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

But if you have Art Deco styles, D&D rulebook styles, Kaldheim showcase and whatever, they don't really fit in together in any way other than "not looking like normal Magic cards"

No, the point is you select the subset of them you find interesting and put those together. At random, it's a mess. But humans are very good at looking at random things and going "oh, this pattern is pretty."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It’s not usually about it all melding together, it’s about having their favorite version of the cards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I realized why I wasn't fond of the new wave of rule book style legends. I'm pretty sure TSR used the same gimmick in one of their TCGs in the 90s so it just feels like playing with cards from another game in your deck.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

GonSmithe posted:

Collectors Boosters and all the variant arts have done nothing besides drive the price of the regular singles down, and the constant handwringing over them is some :corsair: poo poo. All popular trading card games printed now have full art/variant arts and it would be ridiculous if Magic did not. You don’t have to buy them, and the regular versions are cheaper because they exist.

This. They're an objective good for the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I agree, but I think they should restrict the sheer variety per set to maybe one variant. In baldurs gate there's what, three or more versions of a bunch of cards? I know there's 3 versions of each of the dragon mythics, and I think also of some of the various legendaries too.

And then like, new capenna had the nice gilded foil style to it, but also for some reason there were a tiny handful of the "showcase" frames for specific cards like giada, elspeth, underdog, urabrask, etc. And then ALSO borderless alt arts for others! I liked, say, core 2021 with its small variety of borderless alt arts, massacre wurm, ugin, simulacrum, they all looked fantastic.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
folks are allowed to not like changes made to the game in terms of how many different versions of cards they release, it's not old man yells at cloud poo poo and "every game does it" means that folks can also complain about it across multiple games instead of just one

i'm fine with it cause it's dope for cube to have a variety of arts and it helps keep prices down but like, it's a lot. it's fine to not like it

it is ok to have emotional responses to things, truly

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

As long as I can tell what the card is across the table, they can make as many variants as they want.

Card readability has been a significant problem with a lot of variants though.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I freaking love variants for driving down regular card prices. I'm sold on retro frame cards and borderless cards for "wow" art. I'm also sold on secret lairs to push the artistic envelope.

Almost every set since Eldraine has snuck a dumb poo poo "showcase" in between those though, and sometimes multiple foiling types as well. That's where I am unashamedly :corsair: and cranky about the overload.

The "showcase" frames just feel lazy after all these sets. gently caress your ninja frame, sketch, story book, art deco, whatever frames.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How is making a new frame lazier than reusing old school ones?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Changing the colorless frame color was a dire mistake. Go back to brown!!!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

brugroffil posted:

Just be thankful they changed the artifact frame to be more silver. I still remember release Mirrodin where it was difficult, legitimately difficult to tell white and artifact cards apart.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

brugroffil posted:

QUENTIN TARANTINO: Yeah well Mr. Artifact, that’s a little too close to Mr. poo poo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

uggy posted:

folks are allowed to not like changes made to the game in terms of how many different versions of cards they release, it's not old man yells at cloud poo poo and "every game does it" means that folks can also complain about it across multiple games instead of just one

i'm fine with it cause it's dope for cube to have a variety of arts and it helps keep prices down but like, it's a lot. it's fine to not like it

it is ok to have emotional responses to things, truly

You’re allowed to not like changes but when you have no actual reason for not liking them besides “I don’t like them” I don’t have to listen to your opinion and can absolutely call it “old man yells at cloud,” because that’s exactly what it is. Someone being able to get a cool textured foil version of Lilianna is not making Magic as a game worse, and makes it more affordable.

I definitely agree that unless it’s a chase-rare it probably doesn’t need three different versions but also I don’t really have a problem because there has to be at least one person out there who wants that version.

That also doesn’t excuse them from when their showcase styles are rear end-ugly like the DND ones.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 1, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I definitely wasn't a fan of the Japanese Mystical Archive alt arts on Arena, because I, like many people, cannot read Japanese. if I see one in game, I can just see the english text of it, but if i'm say, trying to copy a deck that I see on a stream that makes it tricky, I have to pull up the whole list of mystical archive cards and try to find the art that I saw, which is different from the card's original art also.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would be more upset about the art deco cards if like, any of them were constructed playable.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

brugroffil posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Some really chill Canadians open up a draft box of Double Masters '22 i.e Loading Ready Run's Graham and Kathleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCDBGtKMdfs

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 1, 2022