Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Grasshopper (and mite)

Leafhopper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Accidentally startled this little fellow, who leapt to the safety of my car's intake.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ArcMage posted:

I wish to report a bug.

Hey, that's my job :v: What a beauty!

Hungry Computer posted:

Grasshopper (and mite)

It's always awesome seeing bugs that look exactly like wood or leaves or something. Insect camouflage is always so gorgeous & impressive.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
How bad/lovely is it to try to buy Dragonfly Nymphs, and pray they stick around your flower bed?

I'd love to have just swarms of them outside my house, but I don't think that's an easy task to complete.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

blight rhino posted:

How bad/lovely is it to try to buy Dragonfly Nymphs, and pray they stick around your flower bed?

I'd love to have just swarms of them outside my house, but I don't think that's an easy task to complete.

If you can add some kind of water feature to your yard, that's what will bring them in. My bird bath doesn't get visits (that I've seen, anyway) but I've seen tons at my neighbor's pool.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/lawn-garden/how-to/a9191/attract-dragonflies-to-your-yard-for-all-natural-pest-control-15724186/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

snek

he is practicing camoflauge

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

more snek!

after a few years of rats and where the hell are the snakes I have already seen 3 snakes this year and a pronounced decrease in rats :toot:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Every time i see a snake i feel blessed. Goes for all animals really

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dervinosdoom posted:

Every time i see a snake i feel blessed. Goes for all animals really

I also find that I talk to all of them in a cutsie tiny voice. From turkey vultures to spiders to deer.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Literally A Person posted:

I also find that I talk to all of them in a cutsie tiny voice. From turkey vultures to spiders to deer.

:same:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Four-spotted chaser

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Great photo!

I found this guy and had to bring him home:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Baby kildeer next to the parking lot at work:

Fox kit in my parents' yard, who proceeded to spend five minutes playing with the neighbor's Westie:

And today I scared the piss out of a couple of fawns. No idea where momma was, they still looked pretty young and had all their spots:
(video) https://imgur.com/FJx4DTq

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Not sure what this one is. Impressive peepers though!

I didn't know we had crayfish in our local creek, but I guess we do! I'll have to look out for a whole one.

Less excited to know we have these in our creek.

Our front yard is being occupied by groups of roving juvenile crows and magpies and I love it.

I found this idiot baby in the grass after mowing our lawn (thankfully with the push mower). The sparrows nest in one of our vents and there's usually a dead chick or two out there every year, so I guess this one got lucky. The vent isn't accessible so we took care of it overnight and got it to the local wildlife rehab in good shape.

I spent last week in Jasper and there were SO MANY BEARS around our hotel. Pictures forthcoming!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hello there Mr Bumblebee, how are you today!

…waaaait a minute.

You’re not a bumblebee, you’re a fly! Laphria flavicollis, perhaps?

(photo credit to my wife)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Not sure what this one is. Impressive peepers though!

It's a mayfly. The long front legs and large eyes reveal that it's a male. There's 3,000 species of the things and most look very similar so I can't give a species ID.

They spend 1-2 years as a nymph underwater, then minutes to 2 days as adults. Just long enough to bang and die. Trout love to eat them.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

McGavin posted:

It's a mayfly. The long front legs and large eyes reveal that it's a male. There's 3,000 species of the things and most look very similar so I can't give a species ID.

They spend 1-2 years as a nymph underwater, then minutes to 2 days as adults. Just long enough to bang and die. Trout love to eat them.

They are also so numerous in some parts of the states that they have earned the name "fish fly" because vast numbers of them settle on the roads after they mate, then just sit there as cars drive over them, producing a putrid smell of dead fish.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
McDermitt NV/OR was so overrun with mormon crickets a few weeks back that people were stopping on the side of the highway to gawk and take photos of them. The sole gas station in the town was a slippery mess of mashed katydid (they're not actually crickets), you couldn't take a step without getting some guts on your feet and hoards of them were climbing up the sides of buildings. A huge t storm rolled through and absolutely dumped celestial rear end for more than 24 hours and that gas station smelled exactly like a seaside fish market, it was unreal.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Look at all these mayfly facts! Thanks folks. I didn't realize they were the same as fish flies. We used to have tent caterpillar infestations in my hometown which were similarly slippery and disgusting, but I don't recall them smelling bad.

Jasper pics!

The noblest chipmunk.

Love a good pika! I was proud to identify this one's cry before spotting it.

This family of marmots was living under the cabin next to us and I adore them.

I initially thought this was two bugs gettin' it on, but alas for the lower bug, that was not the case.

And SO MANY BEARS.

Bears in trees!

Bears on the run!

Bears having a snack!

Bears RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR HOTEL WINDOW AAAH!

There was a mama with a single cub, a mama with two cubs, and an orphaned yearling all within 100 metres or so of our lodgings. It was super neat, if a bit anxiety-provoking.

Now if only the lighting/focus/steadiness had allowed for clearer photos. :smith:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I initially thought this was two bugs gettin' it on, but alas for the lower bug, that was not the case.

It's a robber fly and his lunch.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The critter train rolls on!

The bees are LOVING our honeysuckle! I counted 25+ out there, and saw at least 6 or 7 species over about five minutes.

This bumbler fell asleep on a flower. She's just sleeping, right? Bonus shield bug on there too.

A black-crowned night heron couple down by the creek!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Had a less than pleasant surprise visit this morning. Felt something on my leg like an ant was climbing it while sitting at my desk. Pulled my pants up to see and was surprised by this guy running out.

They were evicted to the parking lot.

E: just to defend where I work, our campus is nearly 100 years old and I'm in an outbuilding. Visitors like that are not welcome in the main spaces.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 7, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was just hearing this terrifying wheezing cry at 3:30 in the morning, like someone going "AHHHH!!! AHHHH!!! AHHHH!!!" loudly over and over but like they were out of breath and wheezing, my dogs were going loving insane from it

I took my stupidly powerful LED flashlight with focus function and poked my head out the second story window to look around. Apologies for the photos, by the time I ran and grabbed my phone to take a picture, the bastard had run into the woods and was in the bushes at the edge of the forest; the white dot is his eyes, staring at me from the leaves

Anyways, the source of the cries was a huge loving coyote, standing a few feet from my back door, making this really unsettling sound over and over.

First time I've considered getting a rifle. I don't want my dogs getting attacked by a coyote, and this was a gigantic one, as big, maybe bigger, than a labrador retriever. I was preparing to get fencing to prevent my dogs from getting out, but looks like I'll have to consider getting fencing to prevent coyotes from getting in.

Now for some critters I do NOT want to kill

This beautiful iridescent weevil my neighbor found in his garden and brought to me, it would NOT sit still and so these are the best shots I could get

Bunnies at my dad's place that absolutely did not give a poo poo I was pulling into the driveway a couple feet from them and were EVERYWHERE

Right after having almost the entire property "scraped" by a landscaping company, our local groups of wild turkeys kept showing up to dig around in the freshly overturned soil for bugs. The blue thing is a tarp I put down to starve invasive weeds that got buried until the landscapers unearthed it lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

This beautiful iridescent weevil my neighbor found in his garden and brought to me, it would NOT sit still and so these are the best shots I could get

I spotted one of those guys on my car the other day:

It's a Pale Green Weevil (Polydrusus impressifrons). Native to Europe and first recorded in North America in 1906.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

giant leopard moth?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

poverty goat posted:

giant leopard moth?

Pretty likely. I think I see a glimpse of red between the bushy segments and that’s a tell for the species.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I pulled a heap of overgrown plants out of my little back yard pond today which dropped the water level down a couple of inches, and replaced the filter pump. When I went back out in the dark a few hours later to make sure things were still flowing well, I spotted what looked like a wolf spider on the wall of the pond, right on the water line. It looked a lot like the spider had fallen in and wasn't sure how to get out, so I got a stick and attempted to rescue the spider. Well the spider took one look at the stick, turned it's back on me and marched directly into the water a couple of inches deep then turned around and glared at me. I'm guessing it was a fishing spider all along, not that you can really tell anything from the photo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
This hare was checking out local community vegetable garden thing

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Hares look so PARANOID compared to rabbits.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

Hares look so PARANOID compared to rabbits.

This one has a good reason to look paranoid - in autumn bow hunters will be around that area.

In other parts of the city hares don't give a poo poo about people or dogs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is the most spidery spider i have seen. It sits at the perfect center of platonic spiderness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I saved a lightning bug from my kid's wading pool yesterday.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Swallows at my apartment building.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Those guys look like guys you don’t gently caress with.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Swallows, at least the ones here, really do not care about humans. I have seen them fend off starlings with righteous wrath. But I can stand beneath their nests and not hear that warning call. They will buzz around you at ground level like you are just another obstacle.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

a smol toad

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

This is the most spidery spider i have seen. It sits at the perfect center of platonic spiderness.

That looks a lot like a web-spitting spider (based on the unusual dome-shaped caphalothorax). They spit silk from their fangs to catch prey.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

That looks a lot like a web-spitting spider (based on the unusual dome-shaped caphalothorax). They spit silk from their fangs to catch prey.

poo poo dude i thought spiders only did that in video games

Barking Gecko
Apr 10, 2016

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Doe and fawn outside my office window earlier this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

poo poo dude i thought spiders only did that in video games

We get them around the office from time to time - they seem to like going after our black house spiders.