Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

indigi posted:

also they should do the guest host thing but only with other podcasts, like let the Flagrant Ones do a week then the Action Boyz do a week then Threedom or w/e

e: trying to think of a chain that Rogers and Stanger would agree to eat garbage from

This reminds me of when like 80% of good comedy podcasts were still happening at the earwolf studios and I always wished they would’ve done the gimmick that newspapers do on April 1st where all the comic strip artists are scrambled. One week where every host/host crew is shuffled over to someone else’s show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

0konner posted:

This reminds me of when like 80% of good comedy podcasts were still happening at the earwolf studios and I always wished they would’ve done the gimmick that newspapers do on April 1st where all the comic strip artists are scrambled. One week where every host/host crew is shuffled over to someone else’s show.

One time the Maximum Fun podcast network did this with a lot of their shows and it was cool.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

indigi posted:

Nick should get the bike imo
"The bike incident" is definitely coming back up unprovoked during an episode near Christmas

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Rob Lowe / Joey Clifford controversy shade was great.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

The Rob Lowe / Joey Clifford controversy shade was great.

I was listening while working (which I never do but this seemed like a barebones episode) and apparently missed this - what happened?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RFX posted:

I was listening while working (which I never do but this seemed like a barebones episode) and apparently missed this - what happened?

They had Rob Lowe on as a guest. LA comedian Joey Clifford (amongst others) tweeted that Lowe's been alleged in some sexual abuse stuff. Clifford in particular pointed out the Doughboys have had more known abusers on than native Americans (I cannot remember the exact wording). The Doughboys squared it by donating a pretty significant figure to a woman's shelter and running a "we're sorry for having Rob Lowe on" thing at the start of the next podcast.

E: oh, you mean you missed the shade - I missed it too!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
At one point in the episode, they said something like, "We've had two of the main cast members of Parks and Recreation on the show, and one we would even talk to again!" clearly referencing the Rob Lowe controversy.

Then later on, when they were listing other podcasts people should be listening to instead of theirs, Mitch said, "There's a very special episode of Get Played you can listen too," which seemed like a pretty clear dig at Nick for the infamous Custer's Revenge episode with Joey Clift.

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
I wish Drop King did not drink the mold drinks.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Jokymi posted:

At one point in the episode, they said something like, "We've had two of the main cast members of Parks and Recreation on the show, and one we would even talk to again!" clearly referencing the Rob Lowe controversy.

Then later on, when they were listing other podcasts people should be listening to instead of theirs, Mitch said, "There's a very special episode of Get Played you can listen too," which seemed like a pretty clear dig at Nick for the infamous Custer's Revenge episode with Joey Clift.

Thanks. I thought the reference to a special episode was Mitch on Get Played but you're probably right. Also, I remember Joey Clift had a hot tweet about the Rob Lowe episode so I thought the other post was referring to that.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm in a weird spot in agreeing with every single point Clift made on How Did This Get Played and thinking he's an annoying dickhead.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I am never, ever going to tell a minority or marginalized person to 'act with grace' when confronting racism and bigotry, but if its your friends and they were well meaning while still being subconsciously racist (and you definitely are in the right), maybe use a quantum of magnanimity. That said, I am not a marginalized person, so I ultimately I can't judge Clift and his response. At least the episode worked as a learning opportunity.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you can judge cliff on the standard of friendship though and friends don’t grandstand on each other’s mistakes

I however will call Nick and Mitch fuckin dipshit idiots for the Rob Lowe thing and having Pratt on wasn’t much better tbh

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

indigi posted:

you can judge cliff on the standard of friendship though and friends don’t grandstand on each other’s mistakes

I however will call Nick and Mitch fuckin dipshit idiots for the Rob Lowe thing and having Pratt on wasn’t much better tbh

True, but I am very aware that I (mundane white guy) have a lot more magnanimity cached than a person in Clift’s position who is probably served teaspoons of horseshit everyday. I know using a situation like that as a learning and reconciliation opportunity is good social strategy, but then I don’t believe minorities have any duty to educate their oppressors. Being a nuanced person is a pain the rear end.

Btw, “teaspoons of horseshit” is how I explained micro aggressions to my 76 year old father and he instantly understood the concept.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 1, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh I don’t mean to say he’s wrong (morally or otherwise) for reacting the way he did, but that’s not how you should treat a friend and I’m fine judging what went down by that standard

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

indigi posted:

Oh I don’t mean to say he’s wrong (morally or otherwise) for reacting the way he did, but that’s not how you should treat a friend and I’m fine judging what went down by that standard

We're not at odds. I've writing this poo poo out mostly to get my own thoughts on it straight. I ordered the wrong strain of Delta-8 vape and I am now way too contemplative.

As far as Mitch and Wiger being dipshits, yeah, I think having two big 'gets' like that made them willfully neglectful concerning due diligence. 5 minutes of Googling or texting industry friends could have saved them a ton of embarrassment. I am very similar to Mike and Wike in age and socio-economic background, so, while I can't speak for them individually, being a geriatric millennial is a precarious. I am young enough to be a very socially progressive person with secular humanist ideals...but I'm old enough I can't reliably express it without putting my loving foot in my mouth.

So loving high.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Putting him on that episode with that game at that time of year was unbelievably thoughtless and kind of mean to be honest, but Nick has a pretty excellent track record wrt representation as far as guests on his podcasts go, and Heather strikes me as a very thoughtful person. But you can't deny that was a hosed up booking.

My problem was that says he's friends with Matt, and even if Matt was a big part of the situation, hanging a friend out to dry in public like that sucks. Joey said he only had two options: confront them on the show or walk away and leave it to another Native guest to have to deal with. No, there was actually a third option which was not to make your friend literally cry on a podcast lol.

Beyond that, his victory lap after the pod's publication was a bit much, in my eyes. It was 100% the right conversation to have and I strongly believe it was a big net positive. It was very, very clear that all three of them were contrite about what they did and I never thought for a moment that their apologies were remotely disingenuous. The weird victory lap he took afterwards felt a bit much to me.

I like Joey and how outspoken he is. I'm just some white guy, but my upbringing and life experiences have made me very sensitive to Native issues for reasons too boring and irrelevant to discuss here. Guy is still kind of an annoying dickhead, though. His biggest crime was making sweet, sensitive Matt Apodaca cry.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
i think because of the insane egregiousness of the racism in the ask he was right to give them the business the way he did

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DangerDummy! posted:

Putting him on that episode with that game at that time of year was unbelievably thoughtless and kind of mean to be honest, but Nick has a pretty excellent track record wrt representation as far as guests on his podcasts go, and Heather strikes me as a very thoughtful person. But you can't deny that was a hosed up booking.

My problem was that says he's friends with Matt, and even if Matt was a big part of the situation, hanging a friend out to dry in public like that sucks. Joey said he only had two options: confront them on the show or walk away and leave it to another Native guest to have to deal with. No, there was actually a third option which was not to make your friend literally cry on a podcast lol.

Beyond that, his victory lap after the pod's publication was a bit much, in my eyes. It was 100% the right conversation to have and I strongly believe it was a big net positive. It was very, very clear that all three of them were contrite about what they did and I never thought for a moment that their apologies were remotely disingenuous. The weird victory lap he took afterwards felt a bit much to me.

I like Joey and how outspoken he is. I'm just some white guy, but my upbringing and life experiences have made me very sensitive to Native issues for reasons too boring and irrelevant to discuss here. Guy is still kind of an annoying dickhead, though. His biggest crime was making sweet, sensitive Matt Apodaca cry.

poo poo. I forgot he made Matt cry. gently caress. I didn't know about how he acted after the pod because I do not exist in the Twitter or games journalism world.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
They should have taken a moment to think about optics before they invited Joey Clift to play Garfield Cart

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DangerDummy! posted:

Yeah that’s a good summary, especially about the victory lap. Odd afterwards on Twitter he seemed annoyed other shows weren’t rushing to book him. Like 1960s Ralph Nader wondering why GM isn’t knocking down his door with job offers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the weird thing is that I’ve never heard his name or seen his work in literally any other context so I’m left to assume he isn’t funny or interesting at all. like I heard about loving Danno on other podcasts before I started listening to doughboys

They are really, really stupid for inviting him to do that game when they did it though no question

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Greggy posted:

i think because of the insane egregiousness of the racism in the ask he was right to give them the business the way he did

I truly believe that if he addressed the issue when it arose and pointed out how and why it was hosed up, they would have let him talk about on the podcast without the ambush. It's not something I would do to a friend.

Omelets and eggs, I guess. I said it was a net positive and I meant it. What do I know?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

indigi posted:

the weird thing is that I’ve never heard his name or seen his work in literally any other context so I’m left to assume he isn’t funny or interesting at all. like I heard about loving Danno on other podcasts before I started listening to doughboys

He's made a couple of interesting short films and did some TV writing.

Beyond that uhhhhhh he really seems to like Garfield?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Clift was in the right to call them out on the podcast for that booking. (Extremely funny how Wiger kept eating the pumpkin bread as they were being taken to task.)

Clift subtweeting Doughboys after the Rob Lowe "incident," though...that was not a good look.

Re: Rob Lowe, the Action Boyz had a really good tangent about that recently that was pretty much in line with my sentiments. (In short: do we think the people who raised the biggest stink about that booking haven't watched every single episode of Parks & Rec at least once?)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
When DK drank that fuckin' moldy soda I went into sympathetic renal failure. Goddam, boy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DK really clunked up the end of that episode, “I’m not gonna drink it” audience shouting drink it drink it!!! “that’s gross don’t drink it” “HE DRINKED IT EWWWWW” just 15 minutes of Unlistenable poo poo with one of Earth’s most boring men

JethroMcB posted:

Re: Rob Lowe, the Action Boyz had a really good tangent about that recently that was pretty much in line with my sentiments. (In short: do we think the people who raised the biggest stink about that booking haven't watched every single episode of Parks & Rec at least once?)

it’s not that good because people watching a tv show weren’t profiting off a man who hosed two kids plus all his other bullshit, if they even knew it in the first place. there’s no way Nick and Mitch didn’t know, but even allowing for the virtual impossibility that they didn’t - it’s their job as producers to at least pop “[Guest Name] problematic?” into google

I love when they poo poo on us, the fans, but that was just a dumb point. Action Boyz is probably my favorite podcast but one of their favorite things to do is make false equivalencies to win arguments

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I can understand why people were upset about the Rob Lowe episode, though I thought it was an OK episode. What I don't get is the backlash for having Chris Pratt on. I understand that he got too big for his own good, but its not like he was on film loving an underage girl a la Lowe. He was fine as a guest and I liked his story about working at Bubba Gump. The Pratt backlash just feels like people being mad at him being cast in too much poo poo, which I get.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

his new church is weird and his old church was anti queer (apparently his new church has financial ties to the old one lol), had that really malicious “I love my wife for giving me a fully healthy baby” Instagram post (he has a disabled child with his ex wife), and in general there’s better guests to have on than a lovely Christian cultist. he wasn’t even that good in the movie. he’s great as Star Lord just let him do that. if Amazon paid them a boat in advertising to do that half episode I do respect that though. I’m not canceling my patreon subscription over it, I just skipped that part and have complained about it once (here)

e: like I wouldn’t want one of my favorite podcasts to have Tom Cruise on either for similar reasons (but I’m definitely seeing the next mission impossible opening weekend)

indigi fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 1, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

indigi posted:

DK really clunked up the end of that episode, “I’m not gonna drink it” audience shouting drink it drink it!!! “that’s gross don’t drink it” “HE DRINKED IT EWWWWW” just 15 minutes of Unlistenable poo poo with one of Earth’s most boring men

Lol I was glad they got ice cream after. Among my friends who listen, including a former Ivars employee who liked the place, we over analyzed why Ivars was such a bust. Whenever I’ve been there including that location it ranged from alright to very good. I think they gave it a fair score and just got an unfortunate mix of items, possible the kitchen was having staffing issues that day? Fun to listen to anyway.

Now I gotta get to a dough zone, hopefully this weekend.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I have never been to or even heard of Ivar's before this episode but I think the main reason they didn't like it is that they were full from the immediately preceding meal. I also wouldn't like any clams and fish & chips after I just finished a meal of dumplings etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

RFX posted:

I have never been to or even heard of Ivar's before this episode but I think the main reason they didn't like it is that they were full from the immediately preceding meal. I also wouldn't like any clams and fish & chips after I just finished a meal of dumplings etc.

Wait, are you saying our boys may have not thought something through 100%?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I enjoyed them talking about how the fans think that Mitch is dumb because of the bits he does on the show only to follow it up with all of them being genuinely confused as to what “pH 9+” could mean

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I enjoyed them talking about how the fans think that Mitch is dumb because of the bits he does on the show only to follow it up with all of them being genuinely confused as to what “pH 9+” could mean

Just got to this, lol. “what does alkaline mean”

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Have not been terrified by Nick energy in awhile but when they’d already spent too long explaining the Gad/qbert bit and John admits he doesn’t know q bert, shocking how Nick doesn’t even take a breath before leaping into the task thinking like “yeah I can teach a person from scratch what q bert is I’ll do that now.”

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

0konner posted:

Have not been terrified by Nick energy in awhile but when they’d already spent too long explaining the Gad/qbert bit and John admits he doesn’t know q bert, shocking how Nick doesn’t even take a breath before leaping into the task thinking like “yeah I can teach a person from scratch what q bert is I’ll do that now.”

I like to believe Nick fell to Earth four decades ago, already full grown. The nice people who became his parents found him in that smoking crater and did their best to teach him how to be a person. Nick kidnaps children to put them in terrariums in his basement so he can observe what it is like to be a human child. Totally innocent intentions.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Marsupial Ape posted:

I like to believe Nick fell to Earth four decades ago, already full grown. The nice people who became his parents found him in that smoking crater and did their best to teach him how to be a person. Nick kidnaps children to put them in terrariums in his basement so he can observe what it is like to be a human child. Totally innocent intentions.

He's a normal human man!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

0konner posted:

I sometimes turn off Get Played, a show I love and listen to every week, when Nick just gets on one about something. Imagine sitting next to him at the DMV and saying "wow, this traffic, huh?" on accident

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Mitch giving 5 forks for undercooked botulism chicken my god

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
My standing review of Raising Cane's is that the entire menu is one children's menu, but they make that children's menu pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if Raising Cane’s is 100% about the sauce can I just order some online and then dunk oven tendies in it? I’ve heard about it a lot from my southern friends/coworkers but the closest one to me is 150 miles away

E: oh apparently they opened one in west Philly in May? 3.5 stars on google, doesn’t seem worth making a special trip for