Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Main Paineframe posted:

Who said anything about legitimacy? When you've got state governments arguing with the federal government over who won the election, legitimacy kind of goes out the window regardless. It's not as if a judicial intervention (like Bush v Gore) is much better.

I was responding to someone who thought there was no oversight other than the courts, and I pointed to the other potential oversight mechanisms that legally or semi-legally exist.

Yes, the GOP could have potentially used these same routes to force Trump's reelection (and it's noteworthy that even they didn't dare to do so), but again, if the state legislature and all three branches of the federal government are in agreement on something, I don't know where you expect further oversight to come from.

In essence implying that once Republicans hold all branches of the government the mechanism to invalidate any non Republican victory becomes complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Smiling Knight posted:

No, that’s not what anyone in the field of environmental law is saying. While the holding was narrower than it could have been, the case effectively gives a tool to every Fed Soc district judge to strike down — or at least nationally enjoin for months — any regulations they don’t like. Major question is a completely subjective standard that gives plenty of leeway to judges, and is a huge change in doctrine.

My early take was along the lines of Rigel's, but that sounds plausible. Obviously the actual protocol here is me waiting for Andrew Openingarguments to tell me what to think. :v:

I appreciate you and everyone else who is making substantive posts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant within the party.

Ah yeah ok that's what I was talking about

In general elections there's no conflict between supporting your personal power and supporting the power of the party even if the candidate sucks it's still better to win than lose, so I wasn't talking about that. Well arguably, someone could argue the other way I suppose but I wasn't arguing that anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Who said anything about legitimacy? When you've got state governments arguing with the federal government over who won the election, legitimacy kind of goes out the window regardless. It's not as if a judicial intervention (like Bush v Gore) is much better.

I was responding to someone who thought there was no oversight other than the courts, and I pointed to the other potential oversight mechanisms that legally or semi-legally exist.

Yes, the GOP could have potentially used these same routes to force Trump's reelection (and it's noteworthy that even they didn't dare to do so), but again, if the state legislature and all three branches of the federal government are in agreement on something, I don't know where you expect further oversight to come from.
If partisans in the state legislatures are trying to pull off a self-coup to elect the loser of the election with the support of allies in congress and the administration, I would want state and federal courts to stop it yes, I would want governors to be able to veto those acts yes, if the federal Supreme Court is signaling that not only will they rubberstamp it, but they will strip state courts and governors of all powers to ensure free and fair democratic elections, that sounds like something that should be remedied now when the party that is nominally in favor of democracy still holds power at the federal level, because as you say if Republicans capture congress and the presidency and there's still a 6-3 conservative Supreme Court what's going to be left to stop them if they decide they won't allow Democrats to win the presidency again regardless of the vote. Nothing.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 30, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only real answer to the SCOTUS is for blue states to come together and jointly announce they will no longer follow the court's rulings. Biden's a piece of poo poo who'd probably order them all arrested for treason but the court is beyond corrupt in how it's just going down the right wing checklist and half-assing (at most) legal justifications for those rulings.

The US is heading for a catastrophic and extremely violent end due to decades of kicking the can down the road.

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually the Defence of Marriage Act (DOPA) is still on the books, which means if Obergefell would be struck down, gay marriage would be federally outlawed again.

Moreover the whole movement against the rights you have listed currently is mostly based on the argument, that the constitution does not enshrine them, which means that they at least would have to find new arguments why Congress is not allowed to establish them in regular law.

Any judge or lawyer who thinks "laws not enshrined don't exist" should have the 9th amendment tattooed on their forehead shortly before being thrown into a pit of rabid squirrels.

Zeron posted:

Yeah I'm not studied on law but it seems like the big portion of this decision is that schools cannot ban religious activity just because they "fear" that it is against the law/constitution. Even if this particular circumstance was completely on the level, this opens schools up to being sued for literally anything that prevents students/teachers from doing religious activities. And then courts can use this as precedent to force them to allow it. So to avoid being sued, schools would be very afraid to disallow any actions even if they were beyond the pale/illegal. Also in general it seems like they've massively narrowed what can be counted as going against separation of church and state. A lot of knock on effects.

The goal with this case was to make it easier to indoctrinate children into their chosen hosed up flavor of Christianity because fewer and fewer young people are religious since they're seeing the bullshit for what it is. Constantly beat them over the head with it until they give in or hook them when they're still young and impressionable. Or both.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Well this is not good.

http://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1542521353344913417

Edit: I do not know why the tweet is not embedded but the SC has taken up a North Carolina case over the “independent state legislature” theory where states can gently caress around with federal election rules no matter what.

They really don't want to waste time or risk the Dems somehow not getting crushed in 2024, I guess.

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe that "States governments can set whatever loving rules they want for federal elections and there's not going to be any oversight" is being treated as a valid legal theory. Yet here we are.

If Biden wasn't a worthless piece of poo poo, his response to this would be "cool so by this logic the federation goverment can set whatever rules we want for elections too with no oversight. Shelby county's back and if you don't like it tough poo poo."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
This kind of poo poo is only going to hyper-charge irreligiosity.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Biden wasn't a worthless piece of poo poo, his response to this would be "cool so by this logic the federation goverment can set whatever rules we want for elections too with no oversight. Shelby county's back and if you don't like it tough poo poo."

Wouldn't that just result in the federal government filing a bunch of civil suits that get immediately thrown out?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

raminasi posted:

Wouldn't that just result in the federal government filing a bunch of civil suits that get immediately thrown out?

The federal government has the most guns and the biggest guns. As well as control over the money red states need to survive and not turn into the 3rd world shitholes the GOP is trying to make the country into.

Grape posted:

This kind of poo poo is only going to hyper-charge irreligiosity.

Only in the kids who aren't successfully brainwashed, which the GOP intends to make as small a number as possible.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The federal government has the most guns and the biggest guns. As well as control over the money red states need to survive and not turn into the 3rd world shitholes the GOP is trying to make the country into.

Only in the kids who aren't successfully brainwashed, which the GOP intends to make as small a number as possible.

This implies the federal government being run by a party that's capable of meaningful action.

Realistically, the response to SCOTUS removing judicial oversight from elections will be Nancy Pelosi reading two poems (because it's very serious), immediately followed up by an email asking for money.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

One thing to keep in mind (which may be a meaningless distinction, as I'll close with), the independent legislature theory doesn't say that the Feds are powerless here. The congress gets to set basic rules for elections which the states have to follow. The states then fill in the blanks wherever the congress wasn't clear or decided not to give guidance. Many states have state constitutions which have election rules and there have been ballot initiatives from the people like independent redistricting commissions restricting the state legislature from partisan fuckery.

Under the theory that the SCOTUS is signalling they might believe in, the state legislatures can ignore their own state constitution, the people, and any vetos by the governor, because they and they alone (under this theory) decide what to do about federal elections in those areas where congress wasn't clear or left it up to the states.

Congress could still pass a really big election reform law like HR1. But then of course the Supreme Court could be standing by waiting to strike it down for.... reasons, and innocently go "what? You passed an unconstitutional law, so don't get mad at us, it is not our fault. Congress still has priority to make rules about federal elections over the state legislatures, but next time pass a law that we don't hate. Oops your out of time? Well shucks, guess we'll go with what the state legislatures set up then, better luck next election." That is even assuming the GOP doesn't just simply take one of the houses of congress and goes "yep, what the states are doing looks fine to us".

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Rigel posted:

Congress could still pass a really big election reform law like HR1.

Could is doing a LOT of work here. They theoretically have the legal authority to do so... they totally can't.

Serous
Jul 31, 2010
I would hope that this would actually cause the Dems to do something, its not a "little people" problem like Roe but something that tangibly and negatively affects them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Serous posted:

I would hope that this would actually cause the Dems to do something, its not a "little people" problem like Roe but something that tangibly and negatively affects them.

I believe that one of the unspoken reasons why the Dems pushed Manchin and Sinema extremely hard on HR1 even to the point of forcing a doomed vote on filibuster reform, is that for a lot of them this is an existential threat to them keeping their own jobs. They may care a lot about "issues", but not as much as being in Congress. Winning re-election is issue #1 for a lot of these people, so it was literally HR1/S1.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So if I'm reading this EPA opinion correctly, they are saying that the agency can't outright ban CO2 emissions, because it effects other places like office buildings where people exhale a lot of CO2, but they also can't put limits on CO2 emissions because they're only allowed to ban things? The whole opinion is incredibly confusing and contradictory, saying first that the agency needs to provide a clear path towards achieving a pollutant emission reduction goal, but then also handwaves away the fact that this regulation is itself the path towards achieving a goal of lower carbon emissions from the electricity grid in general because "power generation" apparently isn't being regulated according to them, "coal plants" are, and coal plants can't reduce emissions in any way that isn't just a reduction in power production, so for them specifically there's no path to achieve the goal.

They keep alluding to a way in which this regulation would be fine, because they explicitly state that they don't have any problem with the EPA making sure immediately dangerous chemicals aren't released so clearly there are ways to regulate some industries, but whenever they bring one up they then immediately explain that actually the EPA can't regulate things in that manner. The EPA could have banned coal burning entirely, but they can't because they need to weigh it against impacts on grid capacity and they aren't tasked by congress with that authority. They even say that cap and trade is fine for things like sulfur dioxide because congress set an explicit limit in the bill, and then it's also okay for carbon monoxide because even though they didn't set an explicit limit they specifically say a "safe concentration of the pollutant in the ambient air ... based on some scientific, objective criterion." And even though the law also says that the EPA is in charge of regulating other stuff, not just the few examples they knew about at the time, actually they can't because they aren't allowed to do science you need to set limits.

"They can do it this way but they also can't" is effectively the whole opinion. It's so obviously starting at the conclusion that the EPA cannot regulate CO2 emissions in any way and then just making up reasons why the law narrowly doesn't allow them to. It's infuriating

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 1, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
wait is "did u know? humans also exhale CO2 too! therefore..." actually a part of that opinion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

wait is "did u know? humans also exhale CO2 too! therefore..." actually a part of that opinion

"...when he himself is made of carbon!"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

because regulating carbon emissions means regulating schools and churches, it means regulating everyone's exhaled breath. that's why they can force the regulation to undergo stricter scrutiny

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stereotype posted:

because regulating carbon emissions means regulating schools and churches, it means regulating everyone's exhaled breath. that's why they can force the regulation to undergo stricter scrutiny

Given this sudden interest in human chemical emotion, at least the water wars are going to be legally interesting.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Rigel posted:

Congress could still pass a really big election reform law like HR1. But then of course the Supreme Court could be standing by waiting to strike it down for.... reasons, and innocently go "what? You passed an unconstitutional law, so don't get mad at us, it is not our fault. Congress still has priority to make rules about federal elections over the state legislatures, but next time pass a law that we don't hate. Oops your out of time? Well shucks, guess we'll go with what the state legislatures set up then, better luck next election." That is even assuming the GOP doesn't just simply take one of the houses of congress and goes "yep, what the states are doing looks fine to us".

I'm going to say it again.

This is the most important mid-term election in your life time.

This only confirms it.

Vote hard and vote with your friends and allies like there is no tomarrow.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Rigel posted:

Under the theory that the SCOTUS is signalling they might believe in, the state legislatures can ignore their own state constitution, the people, and any vetos by the governor, because they and they alone (under this theory) decide what to do about federal elections in those areas where congress wasn't clear or left it up to the states.

The state legislatures are creatures of, and powerless to act outside the rules (including gubernatorial vetoes and judicial review) set by, their respective states' constitutions. Everyone should feel free, and in fact obligated, to ignore SCOTUS rulings to the contrary.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When can we expect the SCOTUS to hear the case about letting democracy die and when can we expect their ruling to kill it?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Comstar posted:

When can we expect the SCOTUS to hear the case about letting democracy die and when can we expect their ruling to kill it?

The SCOTUS calendar goes from the first Monday in October to the first Monday in October the following year, with most of the decisions being released in June.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

shades of eternity posted:

I'm going to say it again.

This is the most important mid-term election in your life time.

This only confirms it.

Vote hard and vote with your friends and allies like there is no tomarrow.

In a 6-3 decision my vote was rendered moot

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comstar posted:

Bush v. Gore was decided over 20 years ago, OP.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Comstar posted:

I'm sure you mean this as a tongue in cheek post, but my serious reply would be to worry seriously about Moore v. Harper. That will be heard in October of 2022, but the decision won't come out until after the midterms. To quote electoral-vote.com's writeup of this issue:

quote:

The specific issue in question is the North Carolina district maps, which the Republican-controlled state legislature gerrymandered six ways to Sunday, and the Democratic-controlled state Supreme Court struck down. The Republican legislators are arguing that the Constitution gives them sole authority to administer federal elections, and that they should therefore not be answerable to the courts in elections-related matters.

This is known as the "independent state legislature theory," and it's not too hard to imagine the extremes to which it could be taken. But in case you are having trouble, election-law expert Rick Hasen published an op-ed yesterday that spells things out. So did Ethan Herenstein and Thomas Wolf of the Brennan Center. To quote the latter piece:

The nightmare scenario is that a legislature, displeased with how an election official on the ground has interpreted her state's election laws, would invoke the theory as a pretext to refuse to certify the results of a presidential election and instead select its own slate of electors. Indeed, this isn't far from the plan attempted by Trump allies following his loss in the 2020 election. And, according to former federal judge J. Michael Luttig—a distinguished conservative jurist—the theory is a part of the "Republican blueprint to steal the 2024 election."

In short, Moore is potentially a case about the future of democracy itself.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Question: does the SC have an explicit right, as granted by either the Constitution or a law passed by Congress, to rule on the Constitutionality of any law, or are they only explicitly the final court of appeals? If neither then by their own recent logic they have no authority.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cimber posted:

I'm sure you mean this as a tongue in cheek post, but my serious reply would be to worry seriously about Moore v. Harper. That will be heard in October of 2022, but the decision won't come out until after the midterms. To quote electoral-vote.com's writeup of this issue:

That's what I meant, thanks. So they hear the arguments in 4 months, and release the resulting destruction of American democracy in...May next year? I would think they'd want to get it out early.

Hope my Kickstarter miniatures arrive before then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

Question: does the SC have an explicit right, as granted by either the Constitution or a law passed by Congress, to rule on the Constitutionality of any law, or are they only explicitly the final court of appeals? If neither then by their own recent logic they have no authority.

No they granted that to themselves as the only logical possible conclusion way back in marbury v Madison

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Read back what you just quoted about decertification.

Did the SCOTUS when already 6-3 not throw out lawyer's attempts to decertify election results in states like Arizona?

And even if they did the Biden admin and their DOJ would throw out any states attempts to decertify the election, refuse to budge and stay in power.

So I think they're gonna give the state legislatures more leeway but stop short of giving them absolute control. Something in-between, just like yesterday's ruling.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kulkasha posted:

Actually, the ability to strike down laws that the SC uses is not an explicit right, but is instead one it granted to itself in the famous case of Marbury v. Madison of 1803. In that case the court decided that because a law conflicted with the constitution, then that law was not a valid law and was struck down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbury_v._Madison

Yes, congress could do something about it if they really wanted to.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Read back what you just quoted about decertification.

Did the SCOTUS when already 6-3 not throw out lawyer's attempts to decertify election results in states like Arizona?

And even if they did the Biden admin and their DOJ would throw out any states attempts to decertify the election, refuse to budge and stay in power.

So I think they're gonna give the state legislatures more leeway but stop short of giving them absolute control. Something in-between, just like yesterday's ruling.

Well, we just don't know. If this was five years ago I'd say maybe, but we have Thomas who's said that its his mission in life to make the libs cry, and we have 3 justices appointed by trump who are fight right extremists. Thats four justices right there who don't give two shits about Stare decisis. Peel off one more justice from either Roberts or Alito and then we got a really bad day in America.

And there is NOTHING we can do about it once that happens.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just read this before you continue dooming, aight?

quote:

...And the Supreme Court has repeatedly rejected the ISL theory when upholding this kind of state regulation. As recently as 2015, in Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission, the Supreme Court rejected ISL by upholding the use of independent redistricting commissions – bodies that are decidedly not the “legislature” – for federal congressional elections. And, in 2019, in Rucho v. Common Cause, all nine justices agreed that state constitutions could be used as a check on partisan gerrymandering in congressional elections. Adopting the ISL theory is thus at odds with more than a hundred years of Supreme Court precedent and would disrupt whole bodies of law written by state legislatures and reviewed by state courts relying on that precedent.

The momentum to adopt ISL – and upend this unbroken line of precedent and related state practice – began building in 2020, when Justices Alito, Gorsuch, Thomas and, at times, Kavanaugh all signaled a desire to do so in various cases concerning the 2020 election. But new arguments and scholarship have demonstrated that doing so would be inconsistent with the original meaning of the Constitution. And that should doom the theory. As Justice Barrett explained in her confirmation hearings, as an originalist, she views the Constitution’s meaning as fixed at the time of ratification. It “doesn’t change over time and it’s not up to me to update it or infuse my own policy views into it.” Through that lens, the modern effort to inject ISL theory into constitutional doctrine should horrify Justice Barrett and the Court’s other originalists. All eyes will be on the Court to see whether she and the other conservative justices now live up to the principles of “originalism” they have professed.
Adopting ISL would be the dumb-equivalent of axing Chevron - something the scotus decided not to do yesterday.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They might not formaly adopt ISL but still say "well, you should listen to your elected legislature and if you don't like it, elect new ones. These maps are nonjusticiable except that they stand."

Kinda like how they didn't formally kill chevron yet still produced the expected outcome in the immediate case at hand.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

They might not formaly adopt ISL but still say "well, you should listen to your elected legislature and if you don't like it, elect new ones. These maps are nonjusticiable except that they stand."

Kinda like how they didn't formally kill chevron yet still produced the expected outcome in the immediate case at hand.

"You don't like the maps that the hyperpartisan legislature drew up? Well, just vote them all out and vote in new people to redraw the maps!"

"But....we can't vote them out since the hyperpartisan legislature drew up maps that is explicitly designed to keep them in power...."

"Sucks to be you! This is non justicable! Don't like it, vote them out!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Adopting ISL would be the dumb-equivalent of axing Chevron - something the scotus decided not to do yesterday.

They granted cert. They absolutely did not have to do that, and a lot of people expected them to refuse to hear the case, because the legislature's map was blocked (we thought) only by state law via the state constitution, and not by Federal law. ISL is the only plausible way they could make this into a Federal issue.

Saying "sure, lets seriously consider this wacky ISL theory" is a gigantic red flag, on fire, with sirens blaring in the background.

Harold Fjord posted:

No one is going to the supreme court asking them to strike it down based on Federal law. Its already struck down by state courts based on state law, and they should have just stayed out of it. This is the supreme court sticking their nose into this and somehow saying there is a federal issue, and the question asked by the appeal which they agreed to hear is solely based on ISL.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 1, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mooseontheloose posted:

2) Nancy Pelosi passed abortion protections to codify Roe and "leftists" also backed anti-choice candidates as well as a means to power.

A couple pages back but what a baffling claim and weird whataboitism. What on earth are you talking about?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Honestly having an issue with Marbury vs. Madison seems really ridiculous unless you're coming from a literal textualist interpretation (like a level of caricatured textualism) or just bad faith desire to override the court. It clearly wasn't the intention of the drafters of the Constitution and doesn't make any sense that laws passed by Congress should override the Constitution.

In which case you need a body that can decide if a law does break the Constitution. For a reducto and absurdum imagine Congress passing a law stating that the US army soldiers will be quartered in people's houses from now on to save DoD budget. The supreme court is the most obvious option for deciding on matters of laws and which conflict and it certainly doesn't conflict with how law courts worked previously. The British crown didn't win every case they brought simply because they represented the king.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

MrNemo posted:

Honestly having an issue with Marbury vs. Madison seems really ridiculous unless you're coming from a literal textualist interpretation (like a level of caricatured textualism) or just bad faith desire to override the court. It clearly wasn't the intention of the drafters of the Constitution and doesn't make any sense that laws passed by Congress should override the Constitution.

In which case you need a body that can decide if a law does break the Constitution. For a reducto and absurdum imagine Congress passing a law stating that the US army soldiers will be quartered in people's houses from now on to save DoD budget. The supreme court is the most obvious option for deciding on matters of laws and which conflict and it certainly doesn't conflict with how law courts worked previously. The British crown didn't win every case they brought simply because they represented the king.

To hammer on drafting intent as well you have to keep in mind that the capital C “Constitution” in the UK is literally just a number of collection of laws that parliament has passed since olden times and there are theoretically no enshrined rights that require special rules to remove like we have here. Parliament is the ultimate sovereign with no checks other than what’s customary, and can theoretically pass a law saying “every 3rd baby born shall be thrown out” and no court or countervailing governmental authority can stop them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Grouchio posted:

Just read this before you continue dooming, aight?

I don't think we can take what they said in their confirmation hearings as truth.

I think they only didn't axe Chevron because that would have been so immediately crippling to the Federal government's ability to function that it would give weight to the voices saying "ignore the court, they can't enforce this", and even Biden might have listened to those voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think we can take what they said in their confirmation hearings as truth.

I think they only didn't axe Chevron because that would have been so immediately crippling to the Federal government's ability to function that it would give weight to the voices saying "ignore the court, they can't enforce this", and even Biden might have listened to those voices.

They can axe Chevron after they have finished off the judicial coup and ensured a permanent Republican majority for the next 100 years.