Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Scarodactyl posted:

This is really cool. I actually recently started buying scrap gallium aluminum gadolinium garnet crystals for use as gems--in industry it has a similar role, absorbing high energy radiation and emitting easier to detect/easier to handle (fluorescence/phosphorescence). In a gem context it means you have an insanely fluorescent dayglow gem which also glows in the dark.

.Modern industrial crystals are just amazing

Powerful J/O crystal energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Speaking of medical scanning, I always thought this was the most disturbing scene in The Exorcist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNdGOQ9Exk

Never realized just how messed up it actually was in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumoencephalography

quote:

Pneumoencephalography (sometimes abbreviated PEG; also referred to as an "air study") was a common medical procedure in which most of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) was drained from around the brain by means of a lumbar puncture and replaced with air, oxygen, or helium to allow the structure of the brain to show up more clearly on an X-ray image. It was derived from ventriculography, an earlier and more primitive method where the air is injected through holes drilled in the skull.

Though pneumoencephalography was the single most important way of localizing brain lesions of its time, it was, nevertheless, extremely painful and generally not well tolerated by conscious patients. Pneumoencephalography was associated with a wide range of side-effects, including headaches and severe vomiting, often lasting well past the procedure. During the study, the patient's entire body would be rotated into different positions in order to allow air to displace the CSF in different areas of the ventricular system and around the brain. The patient would be strapped into an open backed chair which allowed the spinal needle to be inserted, and they would need to be secured well, for they would be turned upside down at times during the procedure and then somersaulted into a face down position in a specific order to follow the air to different areas in the ventricles. This further added to the patient's already heightened level of discomfort (if not anesthetized). A related procedure is pneumomyelography, where gas is used similarly to investigate the spinal canal.

Just draining the fluid out of your skull, pumping it full of air, then strapping you to a rotating gurney while blasting you with x-rays for an extended period of time while possibly awake and in extreme pain, no biggie.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love how excited everyone is to kill off the machine

LOL, when it shows the MRI there's chairs and all kinds of poo poo in it. Those nerds had themselves a PARTY before they killed the machine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Just draining the fluid out of your skull, pumping it full of air, then strapping you to a rotating gurney while blasting you with x-rays for an extended period of time while possibly awake and in extreme pain, no biggie.

That will be $150,000 per treatment please!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Powerful J/O crystal energy.

They renamed to Ramaura, actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Musk’s new project looking nominal

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Tunicate posted:

They renamed to Ramaura, actually.

Strong futurama uranus/urectum vibes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Prequel to the 90s Land Of The Lost?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It's how they filmed the cave dwelling triceratops sequence in Prehistoric Planet

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Fast and Furious 11: The Core II

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wait are glowing gems/minerals actually a real things?

like natural ones?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I bet that tunnel has great air circulation

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

this is the safest place for a jeep, as they are at lower risk of tipping over

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

like natural ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR0y8TWd2Jw

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

So, what did your mom's gynecologist say when he excited the Jeep?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhazonLink posted:

like natural ones?

Fluorescent rocks are a real thing, yeah.

They don't glow on their own, they absorb light and then emit it back out as a different colour.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Crosspost from the Blessed Thread

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

thatbastardken posted:

I get the dentist to give me the lead apron even when I'm not getting an X-ray, it's soothing.

I don’t know if you’re joking but I have a couple of those weighted blankets (a summer one and a winter one) and I find them soothing in a similar way.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWvq9bQkp0

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

thatbastardken posted:

I get the dentist to give me the lead apron even when I'm not getting an X-ray, it's soothing.

My dad has a lead apron, but almost all the x-rays he takes are chest x-rays so it is basically only there for legal compliance and so he can have the following conversation:

"Hey, I've been working out and lost X pounds!"
"Good for you! Here, put this lead apron on...That thing weighs Y% of what you've already lost"
"Holy crap, the diet is working better than I thought."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

MRI magnets are gigantic slabs (some up to 30 tonnes!) of magnetized iron bent into a precise shape. There is no turning them off, they aren't electromagnets. An electromagnet of the strength needed to be used for that kind of imaging would probably gently caress with other things, and also use enough power to run a small town.

Oh yeah and the MRI magnets have to sit in tanks of liquid helium to keep them cold enough to work properly, that's the other big part of the problem. There's a reason MRI scans are expensive even if you cut through all the insurance bullshit.
Also, a typical MRI may have between 150-200 kilometers of titanium-niobium wire, which costs (even in bulk) upwards of USD$.50-1.00 per meter of wire. When you quench the magnet, that wire alone stops acting as a superconductor and develops resistance. This is a very undesirable circumstance for a superconductor.

PhazonLink posted:

like natural ones?
I collect uranium glass. Here's a picture of a couple of smaller pieces, 10k gold Swarovski earrings with gem-cut Uranium Glass as the main stones and what I'm pretty sure are low-grade diamonds set around it. They fluoresce under most UV wavelengths.

Cat Hatter posted:

Thread appropriate fact: the Hindenburg was designed to use helium, but the United States was practically the only source of helium at the time and banned it's export.
Ooh, I have to see if I have a picture, but I have a ~square inch of the part that didn't burn.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 1, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GWBBQ posted:

Here's a picture

:goofy:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My apologies for not including a photo. but I went and took one at 2:20AM just for you

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 1, 2022

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Christ I had a spinal tap when I was 3 cause of meningitis and all I remember was fuuuuck that

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
If you'd like to see that vid without adding to the click count of a notorious copyright troll like viral hog...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywv5SgVp1Kc

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cable Guy posted:

If you'd like to see that vid without adding to the click count of a notorious copyright troll like viral hog...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywv5SgVp1Kc

I apologize that genericized trademarks and memes have rotted my brain.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BigHead posted:

So, what did your mom's gynecologist say when he excited the Jeep?

Wasn't aware gynecologists were trucklefuckers, how to excite a jeep was probably more a hobby of this specific one.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
*Checks calendar* Nope, not 1st of April. Also it's not that loving crazy Russian design bureau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrodDBJdGuo&t=69s

Even a 5 year old has a better understanding of physics than this.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They must live in the Gernsback continuum

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mozi posted:

as in, "man I wish I was outdoors more instead of stuck in front of a computer all day"?

Extremely me feeling, I spend more time tihnking about buying a small farm and hectares of forest and working it than actually working.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/1d4czoO.mp4

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
The NHS in the UK has portable MRI machines that drive around remote hospitals to provide imaging services in places that don't justify a dedicated department. Because it costs so much to turn them on and off even in a controlled manner they drive around with the magnets on. Presumably the shielding on the trucks is good enough they don't wipe the credit cards of everyone they drive past. The person who did my introduction to MR course said that shielding has got really good recently, which is great except you used to feel a gentle tugging that warned you not to wheel the patient's oxygen tank into the scanning room with them, whereas now you go straight from everything is fine to there's a big oxygen tank shaped hole in the fairing of the £3m scanner.

Also because it's so rare to quench an MRI, the vents that safely carry the helium out of the room tend not to be very well maintained which means either you end up with a patient in a room full of helium or in a couple of cases, you blow the roof off the hospital.

everydayfalls posted:

This doesn’t even address the amount of radiation you are exposed to in ct. Which is much higher then almost any other medical imaging.

CT scanners are basically doing 3D sudoku. You spin an x-ray emitter and receiver around a patient and get a bunch of data about how many x-rays were absorbed along a huge number of vectors based on the resolution of the receiver, the sample rate and how fast you're spinning the thing (usually this data comes out as a helix of vectors because the receiver is smaller than the area you want to image so the patient is sliding through the machine on the table as the scan happens). Older scanners used to use an approximation algorithm to guess the actual x-ray absorption from these vectors but increases in computing power mean most new ones mathematically solve the vectors instead. This, plus modern noise reduction algorithms means if you spend a lot of money on a brand new CT scanner you can run the X-Ray tubes at lower power and get less radiation exposure than from a plain X-Ray.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pure evil. Pops is going to feed him those wrenches.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

One of the best types of pranks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good mastery of the "guess I'll die" face too, that seems useful for a vehicle mechanic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Somewhere back ITT there's a gif of a similar prank, except the guy is tapping the tools behind his back and only doing it when the car wheel spins. I don't think the mechanic figures it out before it ends

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

One of the more interesting consequences of not properly ventilating helium from an MRI: it can disable Apple devices.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Shortest Path posted:

MRI magnets are gigantic slabs (some up to 30 tonnes!) of magnetized iron bent into a precise shape. There is no turning them off, they aren't electromagnets. An electromagnet of the strength needed to be used for that kind of imaging would probably gently caress with other things, and also use enough power to run a small town.

This is wrong. The entire point of the liquid helium is to cool the superconducting magnets to the point at which they’re actually superconducting. They’re superconducting electromagnets made from tin-niobium.

Plain old iron isn’t used at all..There are MRIs that use permanent magnets, but they’re rare earth magnets, and they have field strengths a fraction of those that are produced by superconducting magnets, and they are a distinct minority of scanners. Cooling a permanent magnet doesn’t give it a stronger field strength.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
is that a MEMS device in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

it's microscopic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

Yeep posted:

CT scanners are basically doing 3D sudoku. You spin an x-ray emitter and receiver around a patient and get a bunch of data about how many x-rays were absorbed along a huge number of vectors based on the resolution of the receiver, the sample rate and how fast you're spinning the thing (usually this data comes out as a helix of vectors because the receiver is smaller than the area you want to image so the patient is sliding through the machine on the table as the scan happens). Older scanners used to use an approximation algorithm to guess the actual x-ray absorption from these vectors but increases in computing power mean most new ones mathematically solve the vectors instead. This, plus modern noise reduction algorithms means if you spend a lot of money on a brand new CT scanner you can run the X-Ray tubes at lower power and get less radiation exposure than from a plain X-Ray.

I was waiting for someone to state this. CT stands for Computed Tomography. Whoever thought of this was a goddamned genius.