Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I’ve got a plex server on a raspberry pi, and my new Hisense with Android TV connects fine via wifi and doesn’t buffer at all, but my maybe 3 year old TCL Roku-based tv, that is a wired connection, seems to buffer every 30 seconds.

Is there any sort of known “oh yeah, older Roku TVs suck with plex” that’s an easy answer, or would troubleshooting necessitate a whole lot more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

it's probably just a weak chip in the tv, it is 100mbit so you're not hitting that limit.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

forest spirit posted:

it's probably just a weak chip in the tv, it is 100mbit so you're not hitting that limit.

I figured probably the case. Curses and drat, I was hoping to use this tv to stream episodes of Daniel Tiger and stuff when my kid is sick. Is the workaround “get a chrome cast or fire stick and make that do the processing and it should work better” or is the tv itself a bottleneck

Edit: just watching a 720p episode of a childrens show works fine so at least I’ve got that! I guess the chip just isn’t powerful enough for 1080p+

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 29, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

SgtScruffy posted:

I figured probably the case. Curses and drat, I was hoping to use this tv to stream episodes of Daniel Tiger and stuff when my kid is sick. Is the workaround “get a chrome cast or fire stick and make that do the processing and it should work better” or is the tv itself a bottleneck

Edit: just watching a 720p episode of a childrens show works fine so at least I’ve got that! I guess the chip just isn’t powerful enough for 1080p+

There's no real reason for 1080p not be decoded on anything in the last ~10 years. If I had to guess the 1080p stream had to be transcoded instead of Direct Play. This article should give you the information to see if the Plex Server is transcoding or not. Having it stutter every ~30 seconds it sounds like the Raspberry Pi is transcoding and it's running at ~90% of real time, so given a little buffering the Raspberry Pi quickly catches up but eventually falls behind. I'm guessing the Raspberry Pi has enough horsepower to transcoder the 720p or it was Direct Play (the video was just sent over to the TV to play)

EDIT: Even network streaming takes very little, it's more dependent on stability. For a 1080p stream you only need ~10 megabits/second (so like 1.2 megabytes/second). The only problem is if it's a real bad network connection but most home connections should be good enough for streaming

gariig fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 29, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is the Roku TV by any chance a 720p 32" screen? I have one of those kicking around in the garage and the chip it runs on is so painfully slow that even the UI crawls, but it does fine as long as I have my Plex server transcode video down to 720p first.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is the Roku TV by any chance a 720p 32" screen? I have one of those kicking around in the garage and the chip it runs on is so painfully slow that even the UI crawls, but it does fine as long as I have my Plex server transcode video down to 720p first.

Nope - it's a 55 inch TCL R-series. Something that I would think would have some oompfh to it.

gariig posted:

There's no real reason for 1080p not be decoded on anything in the last ~10 years. If I had to guess the 1080p stream had to be transcoded instead of Direct Play. This article should give you the information to see if the Plex Server is transcoding or not. Having it stutter every ~30 seconds it sounds like the Raspberry Pi is transcoding and it's running at ~90% of real time, so given a little buffering the Raspberry Pi quickly catches up but eventually falls behind. I'm guessing the Raspberry Pi has enough horsepower to transcoder the 720p or it was Direct Play (the video was just sent over to the TV to play)

EDIT: Even network streaming takes very little, it's more dependent on stability. For a 1080p stream you only need ~10 megabits/second (so like 1.2 megabytes/second). The only problem is if it's a real bad network connection but most home connections should be good enough for streaming

The catch is, I can open a file on my newer tv and it'll take maybe 30 seconds to load at first, but will be smooth all the way through - and it shouldn't need transcoding. If I try to open that same file on the other TV, which is hardwired rather than wifi, it'll do the stuttering/buffering. Both are connected to the raspberry pi. I also tried connecting the "slower" tv to wifi for curiosity, and it's the same thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

I’ve got a plex server on a raspberry pi, and my new Hisense with Android TV connects fine via wifi and doesn’t buffer at all, but my maybe 3 year old TCL Roku-based tv, that is a wired connection, seems to buffer every 30 seconds.

Is there any sort of known “oh yeah, older Roku TVs suck with plex” that’s an easy answer, or would troubleshooting necessitate a whole lot more?

What does the server dashboard say is happening when you play an affected video on the TCL TV?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

And try loving around with your Plex tv app audio settings. I don't remember my stupid Plex issue entirely but it did involve audio somewhere :shrug:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

OK I think I may have figured it out, and part of it was me being a dummy.

Looking at my dashboard, the particular file I'm testing it on the TCL is direct stream for video, but audio is DTS Stereo, which requires transcoding. So that makes sense that the raspberry pi is choking a bit.

And I think the "it works on the other tv!" may have been me saying "other files work smoothly therefore this is clearly a problem with the TV!", so definitely me being a dummy and jumping to conclusions :doh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Transcoding is a neat feature of plex, but yeah, it can cause a lot of issues on the server side if the server hardware isn't powerful enough depending on the media transcode and whatnot.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
since Plex server for windows is apparently going to crash 4 times per week for me and has been doing so for the past 6 months with no end in sight, is there a way to have windows "force" the program to open itself after it crashes and force closes?

I know installing it as a service is a method but that's a huge PITA because then you can't update it normally.

very cool that I have to do this instead of plex fixing whatever the hell it was that started this 6 months ago

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Use the Linux version.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Something something Docker something.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Does windows have anything like Cron that would let you kill and restart it every day? Or some sort of process monitor to restart it, like systemd or runit?

I'm also a Huge Linux Nerd, but I'm trying to be more helpful than advising you to switch operating systems.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah, use the container version with a compose file set to "restart: unless-stopped" and it will gracefully come back up after a crash

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Huge Linux Nerd, but I'm trying to be more helpful than advising you to switch operating systems.

Does not compute

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

Something something Docker something.

Yep

frh
Dec 6, 2014

I can't think of a single solitary Windows program that regularly crashes on me other than plex server. 🤷‍♂️

I will just install it as a service. I'll just have to be a little more behind on updates if I'm going to have to do it manually from now on. Not the end if the world I guess

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did you do the simplist google search of "windows tool to restart windows applications? If no, why not? If yes, do none of these look appealing?

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keep-application-running-by-automatically-rerun-when-closed/

also, there is usually very little reason to be on the bleeding edge newest Plex server release.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I have scheduled task that runs a batch file that restarts plex nightly and that mostly solves my “Plex is bad on windows”

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Did they fix downloads on iOS? The most recent update mentioned something and they seem to be working better now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They’ve been in a semi usable state for a bit now, though the recent update as improved things. Still work to be done though.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

LRADIKAL posted:

Did you do the simplist google search of "windows tool to restart windows applications? If no, why not? If yes, do none of these look appealing?

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keep-application-running-by-automatically-rerun-when-closed/

also, there is usually very little reason to be on the bleeding edge newest Plex server release.

Yes. Every program I tried that supposedly keeps an application running never actually restarts it like the programs say they will.

I think those programs stopped working after win7.

None of them worked for me.

The scheduled task isn't a bad idea but I would imagine it sucks if you happen to be watching Plex in the middle of the night when it goes out for a bit.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Blooster posted:

The scheduled task isn't a bad idea but I would imagine it sucks if you happen to be watching Plex in the middle of the night when it goes out for a bit.

If I am watching plex at 3 am I have bigger problems

Edit: also the client will probably reconnect on its own anyways

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

If I am watching plex at 3 am I have bigger problems

Feelin personally attacked by this post ;)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feelin personally attacked by this post ;)

friend, you can schedule it for whatever terrible time you choice to regularly not need plex mine is apparently actually scheduled for 5 am :shrug:

Here's the script:
code:
TASKKILL /IM "Plex Media Server.exe" /f /t
TIMEOUT /T 10
START "PLEX" /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server" "Plex Media Server.exe"
If I don't remote into the server regularly, you get a hilariously long chain of phantom Plex logos in the notification area

It's pretty easy since you have to leave the desktop open ANYWAYS for plex, you don't have to worry about updating a password, since Task Scheduler will handle "run while user is logged in" without any hassle

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Now that it's natively supported, you could potentially spin up an Ubuntu VM on your WIndows machine and run Plex in that, lol.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Plex server is a GUI app on Windows? :psyduck:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Blooster posted:

I can't think of a single solitary Windows program that regularly crashes on me other than plex server. 🤷‍♂️

I will just install it as a service. I'll just have to be a little more behind on updates if I'm going to have to do it manually from now on. Not the end if the world I guess

Have you looked at logs to find out why its crashing? Has Plex support had a look?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
This is what a service is for

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cruft posted:

The Plex server is a GUI app on Windows? :psyduck:

No.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Have you looked at logs to find out why its crashing? Has Plex support had a look?

It seems random what show or movie is causing it to crash but where would I look to know for sure? Logs are always a disaster for me trying to make heads or tails over them

frh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 1, 2022

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

it's an application, that requires being run in a desktop session under supported usage, so there's a "GUI" if you want to call the icon in the notification area a gui. You can't get rid of it entirely, unless the program isn't running

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

it's an application, that requires being run in a desktop session under supported usage, so there's a "GUI" if you want to call the icon in the notification area a gui. You can't get rid of it entirely, unless the program isn't running

Weird!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Blooster posted:

It seems random what show or movie is causing it to crash but where would I look to know for sure? Logs are always a disaster for me trying to make heads or tails over them

https://support.plex.tv/articles/windows-mac-app-logs/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FWIW I have a second PLEX server running on Windows, which hasn't crashed in ~2 years so this is far from a universal issue.
However, "something makes it crash on my Windows install" is pretty much why you pull any server tasks with 100% uptime as a desirable as far away from Windows as possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

FWIW I have a second PLEX server running on Windows, which hasn't crashed in ~2 years so this is far from a universal issue.
However, "something makes it crash on my Windows install" is pretty much why you pull any server tasks with 100% uptime as a desirable as far away from Windows as possible.

Desktop windows, on a machine being used also as a desktop for sure. It just makes everything harder and hackier.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Khablam posted:

Same here... My home server is a Windows 10 box. (was Windows 8 prior to that) Has been running Plex, torrent, sonarr, BlueIris, and various other server type stuff for years. It is setup to boot on power, auto login to Windows (and stay logged in). Even survives through Windows Updates (which are scheduled to happen at 3AM). It just... works. Long as the hardware is stable there really shouldn't be any issues with the software crashing constantly.

I've only had it totally "crash" twice as far as I can remember. Once of those was a Windows update that disabled auto-login and thus Plex didn't run on boot.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Thank you. This is the link I found as well, but it did not really help. When I go to "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs" there's 69 (lol) different log files; the guide does not really say which one to look in. Also the FAQ says I have to do this right after the crash happens. Sometimes I don't know when it took place.

Any ideas which log file I should be looking in?

Once I go into the correct text document, what should I be looking for? It's just a jumbled mess.

It might be pretty interesting and funny to see if this is something along the lines of season 3 episode 4 of Ferris Bueller the TV series causing the plex server crashing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blooster posted:

Thank you. This is the link I found as well, but it did not really help. When I go to "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs" there's 69 (lol) different log files; the guide does not really say which one to look in. Also the FAQ says I have to do this right after the crash happens. Sometimes I don't know when it took place.

Any ideas which log file I should be looking in?

Once I go into the correct text document, what should I be looking for? It's just a jumbled mess.

It might be pretty interesting and funny to see if this is something along the lines of season 3 episode 4 of Ferris Bueller the TV series causing the plex server crashing issues.

The ones called 1.log and 2.log are probably rotated logs, older than the same filename with just .log

Since you're not getting a crash in the scanner, let's skip those for now. That leaves the Plex Media Server .log file.

Next time it crashes, make a note of the time. Then go look in the log file for entries around that time. Read each one with an eye toward "does this entry sound problematic?" Frequently it will say "error" or something. Read everything above that one too, sometimes the thing that caused the error I'll be logged before the error.

Congratulations on your first step in log file analysis!