Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Notable people in Scuba diving:

1. A nazi film propagandist
2. That French guy
3. Fish, I guess?

end of list
I regret to inform you the French Guy was probably a nazi and his brother def was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Notable people in Scuba diving:

1. A nazi film propagandist
2. That French guy
3. Fish, I guess?

end of list

steve zissou?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

bunnyofdoom posted:

I regret to inform you the French Guy was probably a nazi and his brother def was

the french suck so goddamn much

their entire 20th century philosophical contributions are basically 'what if bad thing is good actually and thus i should gently caress barely teenaged children'

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I know, right? Chick-fil-A, gross!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry, French guy was actually active in the Resistance. He had one mission where he walked into Gestapo headquarters in Marseille, and bluffed them into releasing some Resistance prisoners to his custody. Yes, his brother was on the Vichy side, but he sure wasn't.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The idea that Pterry would be a terf is so goddamn laughable, especially considering how he wrote characters like Cheri Littlebottom

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The idea that Pterry would be a terf is so goddamn laughable, especially considering how he wrote characters like Cheri Littlebottom

Twitter has removed all semblance of context and discourse from the public forum so you end up with a bunch of young, aggressively vocal folks who are the living embodiment of hearing hoofbeats and thinking "zebra"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pentyne posted:

Twitter has removed all semblance of context and discourse from the public forum so you end up with a bunch of young, aggressively vocal folks who are the living embodiment of hearing hoofbeats and thinking "zebra"

but again, it was only random TERFs who were saying pratchett was also a TERF, it was literally the usual bigots hijacking popular people and saying they agreed with them. don't need to make it weird!

twitter is also bad though this just isnt a specific case of that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Radia posted:

but again, it was only random TERFs who were saying pratchett was also a TERF, it was literally the usual bigots hijacking popular people and saying they agreed with them. don't need to make it weird!

twitter is also bad though this just isnt a specific case of that

yea people really need to stop conflating 'random idiot said a thing, got dunked on' with 'EVERYONE'S SAYING THIS'. One TERF did some shitass 'ah heh I bet you transes would cancel good ol sir terry because he would agree with us', his daughter near instantly went 'what the gently caress he would not' and multiple trans/queer people in the english writing world came up to go 'Terry was nothing but kind and wonderful to me and how dare you say he'd agree with you'. Not really a 'drama' so much as everyone laughing at an idiot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To be fair, it would not be hard to believe that Pratchett was a Terg due to his long and shameful history of being British

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sorry, French guy was actually active in the Resistance. He had one mission where he walked into Gestapo headquarters in Marseille, and bluffed them into releasing some Resistance prisoners to his custody. Yes, his brother was on the Vichy side, but he sure wasn't.

He was also an antisemite, apparently.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

Like Churchill (and basically everyone back then)

I feel like the Churchill movie was at least well cast with Oldman who almost exclusively plays villains.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea people really need to stop conflating 'random idiot said a thing, got dunked on' with 'EVERYONE'S SAYING THIS'. One TERF did some shitass 'ah heh I bet you transes would cancel good ol sir terry because he would agree with us', his daughter near instantly went 'what the gently caress he would not' and multiple trans/queer people in the english writing world came up to go 'Terry was nothing but kind and wonderful to me and how dare you say he'd agree with you'. Not really a 'drama' so much as everyone laughing at an idiot.

I think it's worth pointing out that the initial attempt to higjack him, and the sulky "we shouldn't use dead people in political debates" weren't twitter drama. it was the opinion page of a national broadsheet.

It was still just a couple of dumbasses. But a couple of dumbasses with loads of institutional support.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

KozmoNaut posted:

Well he was French person living in the 1940's.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fish of hemp posted:

Well he was French a person living in the 1940's.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oldpainless posted:

To be fair, it would not be hard to believe that Pratchett was a Terg due to his long and shameful history of being British

I know this is a joke and I'm not really interested in defending this shithole country. But multiple public polls have found that while our media and political spaces are viciously transphobic, that doesn't carry over to the British people as a whole. The vast majority believe, at worst, 'well I don't understand it but people should live how they want'. I worry that this joke being so pervasive is going to make British trans and gender questioning people -- like myself -- feel worse.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I know this is a joke and I'm not really interested in defending this shithole country. But multiple public polls have found that while our media and political spaces are viciously transphobic, that doesn't carry over to the British people as a whole. The vast majority believe, at worst, 'well I don't understand it but people should live how they want'. I worry that this joke being so pervasive is going to make British trans and gender questioning people -- like myself -- feel worse.

Yeah, it's worth noting that when the civil service did a consultation a few years ago about updating the gender recognition process, the British public was majorly in favour of scrapping medical requirements and allowing an "X" gender on passports and the like. It's only because the ruling conservative party stuck their oar in that it hasn't happened. Britain as a whole isn't particularly transphobic, we've just got a very incestuous political/media sphere, and the tories in charge are.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HopperUK posted:

I never thought about that aspect I guess and how terrible it must feel to be British

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

I never thought about that aspect I guess and how terrible it must feel to be British

If there was ever a time to drop the played out gimmick and post like a human being for a second, this was it, just if you were wondering.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More like oldplayedout!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

oldpainless posted:

Maybe think about what you're posting occasionally

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oldpainless posted:

Could be worse!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The counterpoint joke to TERF island is that Britain only has 100 TERFs, but they all have newspaper columns.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ro5s posted:

The counterpoint joke to TERF island is that Britain only has 100 TERFs, but they all have newspaper columns.

This I would believe, after reading a handful of opinion columns from British newspapers.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The British media: All print is TERFs, all television is pedophiles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

sweet geek swag posted:

The British media: All print is TERFs, all television is pedophiles.

At the very least some of them seem to be changing their minds, like Theresa May recently advocating for keeping Trans Conversion Therapy included in the bill banning all types of conversion therapy, it's just like "Yeah, where was that epiphany when you were actually making policy you moron? Seems a bit convenient that you pull your head out of your rear end right when you no longer need to worry about staying popular"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BioEnchanted posted:

At the very least some of them seem to be changing their minds, like Theresa May recently advocating for keeping Trans Conversion Therapy included in the bill banning all types of conversion therapy, it's just like "Yeah, where was that epiphany when you were actually making policy you moron? Seems a bit convenient that you pull your head out of your rear end right when you no longer need to worry about staying popular"

Politicians are cowards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

It happens all the time, with Tories especially. May was never really in a strong position, though; she inherited a party divided by Brexit, tried to bolster her majority with a snap election and instead lost it, and thereafter was completely beholden to the headbangers because the government would collapse without them on side.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that the initial attempt to higjack him, and the sulky "we shouldn't use dead people in political debates" weren't twitter drama. it was the opinion page of a national broadsheet.

It was still just a couple of dumbasses. But a couple of dumbasses with loads of institutional support.

listen I know making fun of the english is old hat, but with the pure amount of churning poo poo that makes up english media's opinion sections I think I'm fair to put it on par with some dickhead on twitter.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

It happens all the time, with Tories especially. May was never really in a strong position, though; she inherited a party divided by Brexit, tried to bolster her majority with a snap election and instead lost it, and thereafter was completely beholden to the headbangers because the government would collapse without them on side.

Nah, May has always been a (racist) headbanger, don't give her any credit. She's just doing a bit of the "good tory" bullshit of making the right noises and then voting for whatever Tory policy is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nah, May has always been a (racist) headbanger, don't give her any credit. She's just doing a bit of the "good tory" bullshit of making the right noises and then voting for whatever Tory policy is.

I have no intention of giving May credit and am well aware that she'd be the biggest monster to hold a Great Office of State were it not for Priti Patel. But "the people voted for pain" is perhaps her most famous quote, and it was made while the actual headbangers were telling us all how wonderful Brexit would be. She was not on their side in that, at least.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Mooseontheloose posted:

But it would completely undermine the message/theme of the book or story.

The whole question is whether you should care whether something is artificial are not. If something acts, walks, talks human (or like a duck) what makes it distinguishable from the "real" thing. In the book real animals go for a fortune even though their robotic counterparts act, look, and feel the same way but human's just want something "real." If the robots don't look/act/feel human, it doesn't evoke the same response.

Yeah so the problem is that replicants are not robots.

Deckard shoots them, blood comes out. Not oil and springs.

Deckard is a slave catcher.

Replicants are a genetically engineered slave race.

They are alive organic beings, basically humans with modifications. They have no rights, you just work them to death in a mine, battlefield (Roy) or a brothel (Pris).

They aren’t even allowed to live on Earth with the “regular” people. The poor and defective (Sebastian) are what’s left on Earth, everyone else hosed off to the space colonies where replicants do the hard jobs.

No replicants allowed on Earth though. Artificial animals? Sure, no problem. Enjoy your Owl 2.0. No slaves allowed.

This is explicit all over the movie and it’s really interesting that most people say “robots” or “androids”.

Ain’t no robots in Los Angeles 2019. Roy doesn’t even ask for his freedom, he just wants more time.

Rachel is a slave who passes. Tyrell is making a cruel joke, look it thinks it’s human. Isn’t this great? Plenty of real humans around with real needs but let me invent….a person. The ultimate slave, exactly like a regular human but with zero rights. 2019 looks a lot like 1819.

This is of course a monster loving problem because what’s the difference now between a slave and a free person?

Gaff: I know what you really are, Deckard.

They made a slave that catches slaves. He runs off with a slave you can’t tell is a slave. They run North.

Aged incredibly well.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

They gifted them with memories. What a horrible gift.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny some polling came out just recently that even the Tory base is completely sick of culture war poo poo and doesn't want to hear another word of it, or about Brexit, because they can't afford to heat their homes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny some polling came out just recently that even the Tory base is completely sick of culture war poo poo and doesn't want to hear another word of it, or about Brexit, because they can't afford to heat their homes.

I’ll believe that if Mordaunt loses.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Torquemada posted:

I’ll believe that if Mordaunt loses.

I am reliably informed that Mordaunt is dead in the water on TERF twitter (AKA Mumsnet) because she once said something positive about self-ID and they don't believe her now that's she's gone back to standard hang-em-flog-em Tory culture war line.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
She’s elected by the membership, who all like her the best because she loves Brexit and England and cream tea and cricket. She’d certainly lose a general election, but the 160,000 or so actual conservative party members in charge of our next prime minister will vote for her in the end because she’s patriotic and white.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

I am reliably informed that Mordaunt is dead in the water on TERF twitter (AKA Mumsnet) because she once said something positive about self-ID and they don't believe her now that's she's gone back to standard hang-em-flog-em Tory culture war line.

That's specific to TERFsnet. Polling shows that Mordaunt wins any run-off (and also that Sunak loses every run-off against people still in the hunt). Mordaunt is better than most Tories on LGBT issues because her twin brother is gay.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just watched the first two Tremors movies, and god drat they are good

going to keep watching the sequels until I can't anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's gonna be the opposite issue for a while (Britain's in the grip of a nasty heat wave and climate change says their summers may only get worse- unless that whole business I heard years ago about the Gulf Stream current is true in which case they'll have another ice age coming).