Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

There's not any way to answer that until there is some notion of just what they would be restricting and in what way. Stick with reality, there are an infinite number of abstract hypotheticals you can spin up to worry about.
Thank you. Because quotes like "batten down the hatches; it's going to get a lot worse" are not helpful in the slightest. It has been a rough 36 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Thank you. Because quotes like "batten down the hatches; it's going to get a lot worse" are not helpful in the slightest. It has been a rough 36 hours.

Big liberal states like California will have their more strict than federal laws to fall back on, and since a majority of polluting citizens live there that should help mitigate at least some of the potential fallout. Louisiana, Texas and oil producting states may be hosed but they already enjoy higher cancer etc rates so...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oracle posted:

Big liberal states like California will have their more strict than federal laws to fall back on, and since a majority of polluting citizens live there that should help mitigate at least some of the potential fallout. Louisiana, Texas and oil producting states may be hosed but they already enjoy higher cancer etc rates so...
Right. Anyways the ruling on that will be announced around 10-10:30 EST tomorrow so hold onto your butts.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 29, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1542509020891598848?s=20&t=d6NW4yacuHzZhdh32Fe1Hw

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SCOTUS really wants to send y'all into the dark ages in more ways than one, eh?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wibla posted:

SCOTUS really wants to send y'all into the dark ages in more ways than one, eh?

Death cult.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: You know what, never mind. Off-topic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542510243963215872?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542510600831369217?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw
https://twitter.com/gilbeaq/status/1542511133596065794?s=20&t=lzbH2iJLGppF0_-T2jFwYw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-regulator-finds-unsafe-conditions-freeport-lng-export-facility-bars-restart-2022-06-30/

quote:

HOUSTON, June 30 (Reuters) - The second-biggest U.S. liquefied natural gas export facility hit by fire earlier this month will not be allowed to repair or restart operations until it addresses risks to public safety, a pipeline regulator said on Thursday.

The June 8 blast and fire knocked out Freeport LNG's 15 million tonnes per year (mtpa) Quintana plant, exacerbating global LNG shortages amid reduced gas flows from Russia, while weighing heavily on domestic U.S. natural gas prices.

"Continued operation of Freeport's LNG export facility without corrective measures may pose an integrity risk to public safety, property or the environment," the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) said in its preliminary report.

The root cause analysis likely will delay a partial restart of the plant for 90 to 120 days, and could delay a full restart, analysts said.

U.S. natural gas futures tumbled 15% on Thursday due to the report and on a continued inventory build, contributing to a 33% price drop in June, the biggest monthly drop since 2018.

So we've got so much natural gas that we can't supply Europe with that the price is dropping.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

carbon capture has advanced significantly from wild-eyed lie to hilariously failed nonsense

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MightyBigMinus posted:

carbon capture has advanced significantly from wild-eyed lie to hilariously failed nonsense
And always just a product of coal industry lobbying and funding. If Rube Goldberg designed a power plant.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It would be so, so much simpler to implement a carbon tax. If carbon capture worked, energy companies would implement it without being told to.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MightyBigMinus posted:

Is this in reference to something or just an assertion?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe theyre talking about trees and plants.

or those slightly more hightech plankton or algae setups.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Is this in reference to something or just an assertion?

similar sort of assertion to those people in the late 90's saying battery tech would sort out the intermittency issues of wind and solar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It would be so, so much simpler to implement a carbon tax. If carbon capture worked, energy companies would implement it without being told to.

Carbon Taxes tend to fail pretty badly.

Like many attempts to tax companies

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nuclear electricity is very expensive electricity. If you are ideologically committed to powering the US with nuclear electricity, then it makes a lot of sense to implement a carbon tax.

The carbon tax could make nuclear cost-competitive with natural gas and/or would provide revenue to for the government to help companies pay for the very expensive nuclear power plants.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

silence_kit posted:

Nuclear electricity is very expensive electricity. If you are ideologically committed to powering the US with nuclear electricity, then it makes a lot of sense to implement a carbon tax.

The carbon tax could make nuclear cost-competitive with natural gas and/or would provide revenue to for the government to help companies pay for the very expensive nuclear power plants.

Recinding the subventions on fossils would level the field quite fast.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

rescind the subventions!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Eschew obfuscation!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Last time I asked in this thread what the subsidies for fossil fuels were in the US, someone trotted out a subsidy ratio for fossil fuels:other and it was the same ratio as the energy market share of fossil fuels:other. So they receive government subsidy at about the same rate as if the government didn’t care where the energy came from.

If you look at recent US levelized cost of electricity numbers, nuclear is like 4–5x higher than natural gas, wind, solar, and just the marginal cost to run an old nuclear plant is about the same as building new natural gas, wind, and solar. Like even if the construction of the very expensive, very complicated, very slow to build nuclear power plant was instant and free, nuclear isn’t even cheaper than other electricity generation technologies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Last time I asked in this thread what the subsidies for fossil fuels were in the US, someone trotted out a subsidy ratio for fossil fuels:other and it was the same ratio as the energy market share of fossil fuels:other. So they receive government subsidy at about the same rate as if the government didn’t care where the energy came from.

Those numbers don't include all the military spending to protect the supply, which isn't *entirely* free to the companies that profit thereby (they do pay taxes), but is...fairly significant. They also do not include government policies which artificially stimulate demand.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phanatic posted:

They also do not include government policies which artificially stimulate demand.

What are those?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

silence_kit posted:

What are those?

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System

Also for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The 99.97% was establishing we had a reliable circuit. Our capacity factor (once you take into account downtime and maintenance) was nearly always over 50% (i.e. 6x6 MW generators (36MW nameplate), one offline for major rebuild (so 30MW available), sometimes another offline for routine maintenance (now at 24MW), 18-20 MW load during the night (so we run three generators), 21-23 MW during the day). According to you, we needed to have a 69MW powerstation to fulfil the requirement. I think that 0.3 ERCOT number includes accounting for intermittent energy sources such as wind which then implies gas peaker plants which all multiply up the installed power that would not be required in a pure reliable dispatchable power grid.

The numbers for ERCOT are published, stop trying to use whatever installation you’re running as a model of a far larger and more complex power system.

If you had zero concern for reliability, and had zero transmission system constraints, taking the peak load and energy delivered for ERCOT gives you around 0.55. Now, toss in a 20% reserve so you can guarantee that there is always at least 10% of the current system demand available for dispatch, extra capacity in certain regions due to transmission line and stability constraints, and the requirement to always handle a total loss of a power station and 0.55 turns into something in the range of 0.3-0.4 rapidly. ERCOT currently sits at a 20% reserve and we have a blackout indicating that reserve fleet isn’t large or varied enough to maintain reliability.

Toss solar PV penetration creating the “duck” curve and that just gets even worse with time unless some seriously unpopular rules are made to curtail PV deployment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel the interstate highway system isn't really the culprit, as much as more regional trains would be great being able to go on a long distance car trip I don't think is that big of a contributor to the demand, compared to American cities being overwhelmingly car centric and nigh impossible to navigate without a car in some cases.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel the interstate highway system isn't really the culprit, as much as more regional trains would be great being able to go on a long distance car trip I don't think is that big of a contributor to the demand, compared to American cities being overwhelmingly car centric and nigh impossible to navigate without a car in some cases.

There is a massive amount of long-haul truck freight in the United States.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Electricity prices in northern europe have generally become a lot more expensive since closing down reliable nuclear which produced the cheapest power historically, and shifting in intermittent solar and wind instead, with fossil fuel backups. I don't really buy that solar and wind are cheaper, at least not for the consumer. For the producer... I guess if they don't need to do anything to address their energy sources intermittency problem then yes it's a pretty sweet deal to be an owner of wind or solar, particularly if the intermitency issues means on average higher costs for consumers as they historically have here, win-win for them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

His Divine Shadow posted:

technology might make geothermal a lot more viable

...the concept sounds pretty down to earth.
I'm not letting that one get past us

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

freezepops posted:

The numbers for ERCOT are published, stop trying to use whatever installation you’re running as a model of a far larger and more complex power system.

If you had zero concern for reliability, and had zero transmission system constraints, taking the peak load and energy delivered for ERCOT gives you around 0.55. Now, toss in a 20% reserve so you can guarantee that there is always at least 10% of the current system demand available for dispatch, extra capacity in certain regions due to transmission line and stability constraints, and the requirement to always handle a total loss of a power station and 0.55 turns into something in the range of 0.3-0.4 rapidly. ERCOT currently sits at a 20% reserve and we have a blackout indicating that reserve fleet isn’t large or varied enough to maintain reliability.

Toss solar PV penetration creating the “duck” curve and that just gets even worse with time unless some seriously unpopular rules are made to curtail PV deployment.

you keep trying to equate a system with intermittent power suppliers in it (ERCOT) to nuclear, which is not intermittent and is dispatchable. The 0.55 in my example includes the reserve and islanded systems are more vulnerable because there is only the local units (in this case, six) available rather than dozens to scores in a proper sized grid. On a larger system, you could easily push that ratio right up well over that. It is not adding needed complexity to a model to include factors which are not relevant (intermittency) which is what you keep trying to do.

To step back, the overarching basic truth is that an intermittent generator only (wind and solar) supplied grid would need significantly higher installed capacity than a fully dispatchable supplied grid. Your argument is literally saying that to have one nuclear powerstation providing power all the time, you need to have three built and operational.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

you keep trying to equate a system with intermittent power suppliers in it (ERCOT) to nuclear, which is not intermittent and is dispatchable. The 0.55 in my example includes the reserve and islanded systems are more vulnerable because there is only the local units (in this case, six) available rather than dozens to scores in a proper sized grid. On a larger system, you could easily push that ratio right up well over that. It is not adding needed complexity to a model to include factors which are not relevant (intermittency) which is what you keep trying to do.

I cannot see the numbers or how you arrived at a factor of 0.55 and that is for a load that may not represent a larger area ISO grid. So, since your anecdote has unverifiable data and is also not representative of the grid at large since it doesn't face issues like system stability concerns and transmission congestion or need to meet reserve and contingency requirements mandated by NERC/FERC, I have no idea why you would discuss islanding being an issue for the capacity factor for your small system. If you have a consistent load, you will have a better capacity factor of your generation fleet simply because you can plan your gen fleet to match that load. I would use east/west interconnect data, but you really need to look at a single synchronous grid to get an idea as to what is achievable when discussing grid wide issues like the generation fleet and combing through a bunch of ISO's data in different formats is a huge PITA to combine.

The numbers I just provided, are the literal ISO kWh delivered and peak load. You cannot achieve a better CF than 0.55 with ERCOT's load with zero reserve power and 100% dispatchable generation fleet. It can't be 0.6 because there are intermittent loads that aren't on all day all year long, to get better than 0.55 would require adding load dispatch to the system (doesn't exist at any real level today).

The CF is kWh delivered / Power * time, there is no "pushing that number up" because it is affected by your load profile in addition to your generation fleet. If you have a fully dispatchable fleet, CF is entirely based on your load. At least, not with technology that can be economically deployed today.

quote:

To step back, the overarching basic truth is that an intermittent generator only (wind and solar) supplied grid would need significantly higher installed capacity than a fully dispatchable supplied grid. Your argument is literally saying that to have one nuclear powerstation providing power all the time, you need to have three built and operational.

Yes, if you wanted to make ERCOT fully nuclear you would need to size the generation fleet at peak load + spinning reserve requirement + N-1 contingency + likely a reserve for forced outages depending on individual unit size and how sensitive grid stability is to transmission and unit outages. This would require having a nuclear plant only serve load about one third to one half the time, assuming you eliminate roof top solar or at least keep it at insignificant levels, and removed wind from the region.

How much wind and solar you need to deploy is a separate question to run ERCOT, but to properly compare the two you need to account for the fact that the LCOE for nuclear assumes a CF > 0.9 (unachievable fleet wide) and the fact that renewables are non-dispatchable (tremendous negative). It also means that with the way today's grids are operated, nuclear will never ever exist beyond its current penetration because renewables destroy the value proposition of nuclear energy. No one wants to build a nuclear plant or keep them running in California because of their current and future load profile.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Thus isnt really true though. Its expensive in a market where fossil and renewables are heavily subsidized.

Everywhere else nuclear is cheaper

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommieGIR posted:

Thus isnt really true though. Its expensive in a market where fossil and renewables are heavily subsidized.

Everywhere else nuclear is cheaper

And for the consumer intermittent supply = higher prices on average. We have record breaking prices now and I literally read today that prices won't normalize until OL3 is online. Until then we can only hope for a mild winter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yeah, using nuclear is too expensive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

If you look at recent US levelized cost of electricity numbers, nuclear is like 4–5x higher than natural gas, wind, solar, and just the marginal cost to run an old nuclear plant is about the same as building new natural gas, wind, and solar. Like even if the construction of the very expensive, very complicated, very slow to build nuclear power plant was instant and free, nuclear isn’t even cheaper than other electricity generation technologies.

One major impact on fossil fuel prices is that many of the costs of using fossil fuels are naturally externalized. But perhaps we could try to internalize some of these costs? Like maybe we can study these external costs, estimate their real dollar value per unit of fuel for various fuel types, and have the government artificially increase the price of these fuels so as to capture those costs, resulting in the heaviest users paying their fair share. It'd be like some sort of... carbon... tax?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 3, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah a carbon tax is absolutely the way to go. There's examples out there of it being implemented successfully, such as in Australia, but the fossil fuel corporations pour money into tearing them apart because they recognize how effective such policies are at changing the energy economies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

One major impact on fossil fuel prices is that many of the costs of using fossil fuels are naturally externalized. But perhaps we could try to internalize some of these costs? Like maybe we can study these external costs, estimate their real dollar value per unit of fuel for various fuel types, and have the government artificially increase the price of these fuels so as to capture those costs, resulting in the heaviest users paying their fair share. It'd be like some sort of... carbon... tax?

Exactly. What's the real cost of a lb of a marginal pound of CO2 emitted? Pay up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Carbon tax basically already exists on fossil fuels in the form VAT and extra consumption tax here. Which is why it's over $2/liter so even without any minimal fuel efficiency standards, a 1l engine is still considered normal.

The downside is that it's pretty regressive and all the "externalities" tend to be pulled out of the rear end to justify whatever number someone wants to reach. I think this wouldn't be very well received if it applied to electricity generation as prices are already pretty :eyepop:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

The downside is that it's pretty regressive and all the "externalities" tend to be pulled out of the rear end to justify whatever number someone wants to reach.

Yeah it’s not that straightforward to quantify, IMO. Whatever number you arrive at would involve a ton of subjective judgment calls. Realistically that’s how it would have to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

Yeah a carbon tax is absolutely the way to go. There's examples out there of it being implemented successfully, such as in Australia, but the fossil fuel corporations pour money into tearing them apart because they recognize how effective such policies are at changing the energy economies.

I dunno if Id say it was successful given Australia's massive dependence on coal and gas.

Carbon taxes are just letting industry kick the can down the road and continue emissions that we need to mitigate and halt now