Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

People like Bez, though.
And like Kamala, I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Someone on my Facebook shared screencaps of a Twitter thread with these stories, but the account appears to be gone now.

That consent one is just sad, you can see the cognitive dissonance at work.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not the Supreme Court, and neither is this thread. My post explaining conflict of laws already discussed why this is unlikely to transpire. Responding to it with nothing but "yes, but the fascists are so angrypowerful they can ignore all information, and therefore so can I" doesn't actually promote any kind of discussion or detail.

Then report and move on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not the Supreme Court, and neither is this thread. My post explaining conflict of laws already discussed why this is unlikely to transpire. Responding to it with nothing but "yes, but the fascists are so angrypowerful they can ignore all information, and therefore so can I" doesn't actually promote any kind of discussion or detail.

You need to engage with the reality of the SCOTUS not the neat legal puzzles.

The justices themselves are pointing out that the majority is basically contradicting itself constantly and has no clear jurisprudence.

If you're not engaging with that then you aren't adding anything to the discussion but intellectual masturbation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sputtering that a dog can't play basketball while Air Bud receives the NBA Lifetime Achievement award

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

You need to engage with the reality of the SCOTUS not the neat legal puzzles.

The justices themselves are pointing out that the majority is basically contradicting itself constantly and has no clear jurisprudence.

If you're not engaging with that then you aren't adding anything to the discussion but intellectual masturbation.

This isn't even related to the question that was the basis of discussion. As I already said, twice now, there are reasons why even conservative judges aren't interested in undoing the territoriality test that is the standard for criminal conflict of laws.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bel Shazar posted:

I may not be on the court but inexplicably I have found that I am a more impartial and more intellectually honest jurist than 5 of them.

I don't vouch for the specific arguments being made, but I find it very helpful to be reminded that the whole system is illegitimate but for the threat of force. Don't get me wrong, you have to go through the motions of government and wrest whatever positive outcome you can, but acting like there are any rules left when almost everyone's just playing political team sports is giving too much faith and legitimacy to the system.

Who is the one conservative judge you you find impartial and intellectually honest, Gorsuch?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

And like Kamala, I have no idea why.

It's the dancing, isn't it?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Free Discendo Vox

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Free Discendo Vox

Free? You couldn't pay me to take it!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Driving by with some fun American colonialism!
https://twitter.com/yunpovi/status/1542160418965262341?s=20&t=AuXdxLqThPzEzQy7aEQmlA

And explained in more detIl here at SCOTUS Blog:
https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/06/in-5-4-ruling-court-dramatically-expands-the-power-of-states-to-prosecute-crimes-on-reservations/

TL;DR, the majority said "gently caress Tribal Soverinty over Native American's own lands, States can prosocute a non-Native if we want."

Or as the above law professor states:
https://twitter.com/yunpovi/status/1542280542460071936?s=20&t=AuXdxLqThPzEzQy7aEQmlA

Decison 5 to 4. Usual suspects in the 5, Gorsuch joined the minority. Apperently he's a Native law nerd.

EDIT: Next Supreme Court term they are going to decide the consitutionality of the Indian Child Welfare Act that lists in order who gets to foster and/or adopt an Native child if both parents are dead or declared unfit. A white couple says that it's racisim that they can't adopt a Native child over the child's extended family because since they have more money they are obviously going to be better parents.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 1, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Who is the one conservative judge you you find impartial and intellectually honest, Gorsuch?

I'm probably on par with Roberts and he writes a better opinion than I would even though he's still a piece of poo poo.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I assume some staffers actually write these opinions, not the judges themselves.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Criss-cross posted:

I assume some staffers actually write these opinions, not the judges themselves.

Who's ultimately in charge of hiring their staffers, and why do you insist on giving them for benefit of the doubt?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

the last one about empthy is interesting because you dont see the sheer hostile madness cocktail of crazy like you do with other medical stuff.

maybe, I dunno, like the closest medical treatments I can think off is trying to get fix STD stuff, but that's still a thing thats a result of sex.

The last thing about empathy describes the conservative mindset perfectly. They are rugged individualists who don't have empathy for others. "I got mine, gently caress you. "

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Twincityhacker posted:

Driving by with some fun American colonialism!
https://twitter.com/yunpovi/status/1542160418965262341?s=20&t=AuXdxLqThPzEzQy7aEQmlA

And explained in more detIl here at SCOTUS Blog:
https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/06/in-5-4-ruling-court-dramatically-expands-the-power-of-states-to-prosecute-crimes-on-reservations/

TL;DR, the majority said "gently caress Tribal Soverinty over Native American's own lands, States can prosocute a non-Native if we want."

Or as the above law professor states:
https://twitter.com/yunpovi/status/1542280542460071936?s=20&t=AuXdxLqThPzEzQy7aEQmlA

Decison 5 to 4. Usual suspects in the 5, Gorsuch joined the minority. Apperently he's a Native law nerd.

EDIT: Next Supreme Court term they are going to decide the consitutionality of the Indian Child Welfare Act that lists in order who gets to foster and/or adopt an Native child if both parents are dead or declared unfit. A white couple says that it's racisim that they can't adopt a Native child over the child's extended family because since they have more money they are obviously going to be better parents.

I wonder if states are going to start prosecuting non natives for activities conducted on tribal lands, such as gambling.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that is an absolutely insane ruling

Cimber posted:

I wonder if states are going to start prosecuting non natives for activities conducted on tribal lands, such as gambling.

Intended scope of it is far bigger picture: it's going after the concept of tribes as sovereign entities in their own right. Which is far worse. It's also at odds with pretty much the entirety of how tribes have been viewed legally for a century as well as senate-ratified treaties concerning tribal status.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
tHeRe aReN't aNy vAcAnCiEs...

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1542866316285120514

maybe we shouldn't be approving judges like this :hmmyes:

I'm sure everyone that said this wasn't a bad thing because there weren't any vacancies will now feel bad.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that is an absolutely insane ruling

Intended scope of it is far bigger picture: it's going after the concept of tribes as sovereign entities in their own right. Which is far worse. It's also at odds with pretty much the entirety of how tribes have been viewed legally for a century as well as senate-ratified treaties concerning tribal status.

And this ruling now confuses the hell out of me. What is the court saying in regards to Tribal rights vs states rights?

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...tions-in-state/

Also, the breakdown of the case was interesting. Three liberals + Gorsuch + Barrett.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Someone on my Facebook shared screencaps of a Twitter thread with these stories, but the account appears to be gone now.

This is amazing. Absolute textbook Cognitive Dissonance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

tHeRe aReN't aNy vAcAnCiEs...

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1542866316285120514

maybe we shouldn't be approving judges like this :hmmyes:

I'm sure everyone that said this wasn't a bad thing because there weren't any vacancies will now feel bad.

haha

"Lol stupid reliable local sources going on record to confirm this THERE'S NO SLOT OPEN PUBLICLY YET HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE???"

True dog brain libs unable to even imagine that there may be *gasp* some shady deals going on!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

haha

"Lol stupid reliable local sources going on record to confirm this THERE'S NO SLOT OPEN PUBLICLY YET HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE???"

True dog brain libs unable to even imagine that there may be *gasp* some shady deals going on!

You mean...politicing and horse trading to get what you want? Giving away something of little value to get something of greater value? Working the system?

How dare Biden do that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cimber posted:

You mean...politicing and horse trading to get what you want? Giving away something of little value to get something of greater value? Working the system?

How dare Biden do that.
Don't worry, Biden would never give something to the Republicans and get something back of greater value.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cimber posted:

How dare Biden do that.

What greater value was achieved here?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What greater value was achieved here?

I have no idea, i wasn't party to the negotiations. I have no idea if Biden got played, or if he got something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cimber posted:

I have no idea, i wasn't party to the negotiations. I have no idea if Biden got played, or if he got something.

What has Biden done to prove himself trustworthy on these 'deals', especially with his long history of being actively anti-abortion?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mitch McConnell would never go back on a deal after getting what he wanted

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

we're going to find a dead cat at the end of this experiment, aren't we?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Considering Biden's history of getting absolutely took in deals with Republicans generally and McConnell in specific, idk why you'd ever give him the benefit of a doubt on a deal like this

Refer back to this anecdote on page 1 of this thread if you need a reminder of his negotiation savvy:

some plague rats posted:

To lighten the mood, I was reading one of the bad threads and I ran across this extremely darkly funny excerpt from Yesterday's Man:

Joe Biden had never once passed up a chance to have his wallet inspected, has he

...yeah. Should probably not assume he extracted a reasonable deal until he proves it to you

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

nm

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cimber posted:

And this ruling now confuses the hell out of me. What is the court saying in regards to Tribal rights vs states rights?

Also, the breakdown of the case was interesting. Three liberals + Gorsuch + Barrett.

That's a different case entirely and is, afaict, not a problematic ruling after reading through it.

This is the case she is referring to
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-429_8o6a.pdf

quote:

KAVANAUGH, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS,
C. J., and THOMAS, ALITO, and BARRETT, JJ., joined.

gorsuch, breyer, sotomayor, kagan dissented

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 1, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It's hard to tell who public figures are through the media filter and in reality people can't really be summed up as one thing as they often are anyway. So I don't know how reliably accurate it is, but the general narrative from all the Biden stories certainly seems to be that Biden wants to be seen as a "shrewd deal maker". Perhaps out of altruism or maybe he just thinks it would make him look cool (I think it's the latter). Whether or not he's gotten any better at it over time is TBD.

Pritzker is making big waves right now, he may wait until '28, but he's definitely showing up, and he is the kind of shrewd calculating politician Biden wishes he was.

Also good lord Harris and Pelosi are the absolute worst public speakers in the entire party. At least Pelosi is a good whip, but Harris is a defacto Russian asset. Dems need to call one of their Hollywood pals and get some decent PR.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 1, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

we're going to find a dead cat at the end of this experiment, aren't we?

A dead woman, I think. More accurately, many hundreds.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's a different case entirely and is, afaict, not a problematic ruling after reading through it.

This is the case she is referring to
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-429_8o6a.pdf

gorsuch, breyer, sotomayor, kagan dissented

Im fully aware of that. I'm comparing the two rulings against each other, which on the face seem to give confusing guidance.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I still think we should just make Bernie Sanders Dictator Supreme of the US.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cimber posted:

Oddly enough, Gorsuch of all people is the conservative champion of native american and tribal rights issues. If he's in the majority on an indian case it is probably good. If he is dissenting with the liberals, then its bad. If he's a stopped clock that is right twice a day, then that is the issue he stopped at.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

It's hard to tell who public figures are through the media filter and in reality people can't really be summed up as one thing as they often are anyway. So I don't know how reliably accurate it is, but the general narrative from all the Biden stories certainly seems to be that Biden wants to be seen as a "shrewd deal maker". Perhaps out of altruism or maybe he just thinks it would make him look cool (I think it's the latter). Whether or not he's gotten any better at it over time is TBD.

Well he completely hosed the dog on the fiscal cliff negotiations and in the 2020 debates aggressively characterized that debacle as "beating Mitch McConnell" so yeah altruism seems unlikely. From my vantage point he just seems like a dumb guy who wants to look smart and can be tricked very easily by people who know how to work him

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

but Harris is a defacto Russian asset.

What?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Well he completely hosed the dog on the fiscal cliff negotiations and in the 2020 debates aggressively characterized that debacle as "beating Mitch McConnell" so yeah altruism seems unlikely. From my vantage point he just seems like a dumb guy who wants to look smart and can be tricked very easily by people who know how to work him

Yeah, this seems to be the most likely scenario to me as well, I guess we'll have to see how this round plays out. I wonder if he has some decent advisors around him? I read somewhere his Chief of Staff had been in Washington politics for a long time, a real connected, establishment guy, but is retiring soon. Biden doesn't seem like the type that would listen to reason anyway, more like just pick a direction and go full speed ahead. Although he'd put his sunglasses on first.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Someone explained it in one of these threads, it's an agreement to get 80ish republicans in to also get 150 dems in without trouble. That's the deal, will Mitch screw Biden on this? Prior to this opening coming up I would have said no just because it was dem justices now for a ky judge later should the opportunity arise, but with the opening now, who knows?