Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mr Interweb posted:

wouldn't stormfront, being his possible mother and all....be aware of her own pregnancy and delivering the most powerful supe in the world? would she not have questions about why a guy who worked for vought that was just like her boyfriend, who replaces her boyfriend, and has almost the same power sets as set boyfriend?

they probably harvested her eggs, like the scene with Maeve and Homelander lampshades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

lmao'ing at everyone who said there was nothing left to get out of the a-Train story if he lived
I'll admit I was wrong, I genuinely thought that his treatment in the previous ep was a natural conclusion to his story. I still think that. The show undermined the pathos of what he did by keeping him alive, but it did "ironically" transplant a racist's heart into his chest. I'm kicking myself that I didn't consider that a possibility for this fucken show.

I'm not sure how much thought I should put into the fact that this outcome means that Vought are basically on standby to swoop in and rescue these guys wherever they are, at a moments notice (you don't tend to live long with no pulse, supe or not). I've probably put too much thought into it just writing that sentence.

Good ep that I had ruined for me by opening YouTube this morning and having the twist ending spoiled by a video title. Sucks to be me in the UK I guess. :smith:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 hours!)

i wasn't one of the ones saying there was nothing left for a-train, but it was a good conclusion for his story and i kind of hoped that was it to the extent that i cared. he's been circling around the same 'almost gets it, nah i'm still a shithead' material for the entire show.

the hint of his new situation this episode was interesting but it's premature to say that he shouldn't have died there for the sake of a tidy story. for all we know s4 of a-train is going to tread the same ground. characters outlive their story on TV all the time.

or he could actually grow from this. but his demeanour in the scene with ashley was exactly the same as usual - playing along with all her terrible ideas to keep him in his position, with a little minor pushback. is a-train continuing to work for vought but being pissed off at his movie script really a good contination for him at this point?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 1, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Him killing a racist and then dying feels a bit too much like absolution for him. So I'm glad they're keeping him on, especially when it leads into nightmare situations like having to publically endorce the guy who crippled his brother, and also have his heart.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I genuinely didn't see A-train's new development coming, holy poo poo that is hosed.

A spoiler from a preview a while back, it looked like Soldier Boy on a TV studio set, shielding himself from Annie's light blast. Not sure what goes down but my guess is Soldier Boy goes to meet/join Homelander and there's a rescue attempt to save Maeve? I don't know.

It's weird how last week felt like it could have been a finale, but now I don't know how they can wrap up everything going on with one more episode left this season.

Oh yeah, reminder that the facility Lamplighter and Stormfront were working at was improving the permanent V formula, might be why Kimiko was able to re-take it without complications

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

even if annie didn't know blue means permanent and green means temp the green vials had a prominent label on their case saying "v24" lol

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Brilliant episode as always.

“Gargle my nutsack”

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Him killing a racist and then dying feels a bit too much like absolution for him. So I'm glad they're keeping him on, especially when it leads into nightmare situations like having to publically endorce the guy who crippled his brother, and also have his heart.
That sounds pretty boring though, since that's basically all he's done.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Durzel posted:

That sounds pretty boring though, since that's basically all he's done.

All he's done in the literally one scene since it happened?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I did enjoy even during his shock/horror at what was happening he automatically threw out that he was willing to poo poo on Starlight.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A-trains pig heart transplant is a great twist.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I felt like the A-train thing was a bit like the show leaning in to the cynicism of it all, nobody gets a happy ending, nobody gets to redeem themselves, you don't live your life as a piece of poo poo and then avail yourself in one moment and go out with your mind at peace, like I get that this is the show and this is the tone it's setting, the show is more about setting these elaborate punchlines and dark comedic moments than it is about... well... taking itself seriously? I don't know.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this show owns

also im sure butcher is going to have a change of heart last minute but goddamn what a lovely move to lie to hughie about the side effects of temp-v

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

crepeface posted:

this show owns

also im sure butcher is going to have a change of heart last minute but goddamn what a lovely move to lie to hughie about the side effects of temp-v

Immediately after he tells Hughie they're going to get more temp V the camera lingers on him and he begins to look ashamed of himself. They're definitely laying a path back to the good guys for him. Whether they take that route or do something in the finale/series 4 to close it off again is another matter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

How many doses have they taken? It's at least 4 for Billy and 3 for Hughie right?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All he's done in the literally one scene since it happened?
Doing Vought's bidding and acquiescing to their demands in spite of people around him asking or hoping to do otherwise is all his character has ever done on the show.

When someone is just geniunely self-serving, in spite of what is going on around them, it gets boring imo.

As I said I thought what he did to Blue Hawk was a decent end to his story because he went against Vought, apologised to Hughie and did something to help his local community at great personal cost (even if it was just vengeance). If all of that is all for nought and he's in the pocket of Vought again, what point does he even serve in the grander story? That he's someone none of the good guys can trust?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

massive spider posted:

A-trains pig heart transplant is a great twist.

The Boys Season 3: A-Train's Pig Heart

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ashley is incredible.

"slangin' dat yeyo" made me fuckin lose it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Annie does a really great job talking Homelander into incriminating himself.

I'm still surprised that Annie is alive. She has clearly picked her side and won't be bullied into lying / clearing Homelander and Vought. She also did a ton of damage to his image again. And she was stealing compound V, which he probably would have known about since he knew when she got into the building.

Homelander should have killed her as soon as she turned her phone off. That reeked of main char plot armor imo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I think they gave the 3-5 wiggle room so each character can take as much as the plot demands.

Also, I love the mini game of "What line wouldn't Jensen Ackles cross? I feel like any instance of tell, don't show is a good contender so my money is currently on a cut montage of "Soldier Boy: Historical Motherfucker."

I think it's probably the first scene with the 2 housekeepers. Ackles mentioned his daughters when talking about the scene he didn't want to do and that it was pretty vulgar. That or (speculation) he beats Ryan to death. That would also be pretty messed up for a parent.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't decide if Ashley just throwing out horrifically stereotypical "black" lines at A-Train is more scary if she's deliberately doing it to taunt him or she is being utterly sincere and thinks this is somehow genuine encouragement.

I think she was sincere. She just can't turn off the marketing / PR bullshit and that's the only way she knows to try and empathize with him. Ashley is hilarious and a terrible person.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A-Train going from "slowly realizing how awful he's been" to "fully knowing how awful he is and doing it anyway" enabled by a racist dude he murdered is wonderful.

Looking forward to him getting everything he's wanted since the start of Season 2 and loving hating it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I wanna say Annie makes her own splinter group of actually good superheroes after this season, and maybe that will be a thing for a while, but I think it’ll have to come back to the seven at some point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still surprised that Annie is alive. She has clearly picked her side and won't be bullied into lying / clearing Homelander and Vought. She also did a ton of damage to his image again. And she was stealing compound V, which he probably would have known about since he knew when she got into the building.

Homelander should have killed her as soon as she turned her phone off. That reeked of main char plot armor imo.

I dunno, everyone would know he killed her. She livestreamed him threatening her and Hughie and admitting to killing SuperSonic.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, everyone would know he killed her. She livestreamed him threatening her and Hughie and admitting to killing SuperSonic.

This is fair but they’re running with the homelander trump thing hard and trump w superpowers would have a. Killed her b. Gotten away with it. I thought this show was supposed to be cynical!

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Bad TV watcher question.. is the assumption that she instagrammed the whole conversation, or just the part where she held the phone up? The end of the show implies the former, but I don't know how Ashley could possibly spin it if her ~190 million followers heard all of it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That DICK! posted:

I wanna say Annie makes her own splinter group of actually good superheroes after this season, and maybe that will be a thing for a while, but I think it’ll have to come back to the seven at some point.

Stay tuned for a preview of the new spinoff, "The Ladies".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

Bad TV watcher question.. is the assumption that she instagrammed the whole conversation, or just the part where she held the phone up? The end of the show implies the former, but I don't know how Ashley could possibly spin it if her ~190 million followers heard all of it?

I have to assume it was the whole thing. It's why Ashley was freaking out and Homelander was just telling her to fix it it's her job in the final scene.

PostNouveau posted:

Annie had a meltdown and had to go to rehab. She OD'ed 4 days later. She regrets her deepfaking of the whole Vought tower incident. :v:

Approval ratings increase slighty.

e: vvv this too. He's already struggling with the weight of the crown and now this? He definitely handled it well considering he would have just snapped before.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 1, 2022

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Homelander isn't smart enough to weigh the consequences of killing her vs letting her live and trying to weasel out of it in the moment.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think the not killing annie thing only stood out to me because they show her on the elevator. i 100% buy he would have tried the "we were just running lines" routine, but he would've been ripping the top off that elevator after 4 whole seconds of thinking about it. idk. he's preoccupied!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

crepeface posted:

this show owns

I assumed he lied to him because they’ve already done 3+ doses so he assumes they’re both dead men walking now. And he’d just had the flashback of feeling responsible for his little brothers death so he couldn’t stomach breaking it to him.

I mean the angle that it’s pure manipulation is still there but it seems ambiguous.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Maeve gave him 3 vials in the first episode, and a bunch more later on. I haven't really been counting but surely Butcher has had at least 5 doses by now, and Hughie probably 3? Sounds like they're both hosed, if what Annie said is true.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Durzel posted:

If you watch the scene again her hand goes to her purse right as Homelander walks in and you can see her eyeing him to see if he noticed anything before pumping him for information.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You could say A-Train's survival was a cop out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

Maeve gave him 3 vials in the first episode, and a bunch more later on. I haven't really been counting but surely Butcher has had at least 5 doses by now, and Hughie probably 3? Sounds like they're both hosed, if what Annie said is true.

Going to get super duper cancer and tumors? It's a good thing they know a guy who can blast it out of their systems! :v:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Durzel posted:

i remember seeing 4 in maeve's latest delivery. stood out to me. pissed me off frankly. do not give me an odd number of things and then an even number of things

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Durzel posted:

Doing Vought's bidding and acquiescing to their demands in spite of people around him asking or hoping to do otherwise is all his character has ever done on the show.

When someone is just geniunely self-serving, in spite of what is going on around them, it gets boring imo.

As I said I thought what he did to Blue Hawk was a decent end to his story because he went against Vought, apologised to Hughie and did something to help his local community at great personal cost (even if it was just vengeance). If all of that is all for nought and he's in the pocket of Vought again, what point does he even serve in the grander story? That he's someone none of the good guys can trust?

Letting A-Train die on what feels like a redemptive high point would be the easy out, even though I agree that as final actions go his were pretty baller. He's a bad person who has done lots of bad things. Killing Blue Hawk was more about personal vengeance than anything else. His apology to Hughie was also driven by having firsthand experience of loss related to supe violence. Both actions were done in the context of A-Train expecting to die soon, meaning that he wouldn't be around to deal with any further ramifications.

But guess what, now he's alive and comedy of the situation aside, he has to decide how he wants to live the rest of his life. Does he continue to rise to the level of those good deeds? Does he even know how to be a good person without having some sort of personal incentive? Can he develop or discover the inner strength needed to no longer be a pawn for Vought? It'll be interesting to see.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Morrow posted:

You could say A-Train's survival was a cop out.

Incredible

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

massive spider posted:

I assumed he lied to him because they’ve already done 3+ doses so he assumes they’re both dead men walking now. And he’d just had the flashback of feeling responsible for his little brothers death so he couldn’t stomach breaking it to him.

I mean the angle that it’s pure manipulation is still there but it seems ambiguous.

Billy Butcher just isn't a good guy. That he couldn't tell Hughie that they're basically ingesting poison every time they go on a power trip means he values the power trip more than Hughie as a person. It's arguable how unable Billy is to cope with telling people about his feelings to people he cares about, but the lesson of the story seems to be that he's pretty drat toxic to everyone around him. Frenchie and MM seem to realize this and keep an arm's length, but Hughie doesn't, and he gets sucked into this madness with dosing themselves to make them supes for a day. Which the show already acknowledged was a total hypocrisy on their part, especially Billy since he basically wants to exterminate all supes, but he's an ends justify the means kind of guy. And that is bad news for anyone around him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Durzel posted:

I don't get why he has to serve a greater role in the grander story. His plot this season has been pretty self containe, and it's fun to see him make tentative baby-steps towards being a better person, but still being trapped by teh awfulness of Voight.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Billy Butcher just isn't a good guy. That he couldn't tell Hughie that they're basically ingesting poison every time they go on a power trip means he values the power trip more than Hughie as a person. It's arguable how unable Billy is to cope with telling people about his feelings to people he cares about, but the lesson of the story seems to be that he's pretty drat toxic to everyone around him. Frenchie and MM seem to realize this and keep an arm's length, but Hughie doesn't, and he gets sucked into this madness with dosing themselves to make them supes for a day. Which the show already acknowledged was a total hypocrisy on their part, especially Billy since he basically wants to exterminate all supes, but he's an ends justify the means kind of guy. And that is bad news for anyone around him.

yeah. butcher took a different message from his horrifying nightmare experience than traditional TV would have you believe i think. i watched that stuff and i think, well, the moral was he'd opt toward a path that would ensure his brother/huey would not die. but looking back he's mostly just concerned with his failure to stick around and/or kill his father.

well, now he's got an opportunity to kill the guy who he sees as his dad, and since his brother was game to kill himself anyways, he figures, hey! road not taken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Buying supe lungs and liver on the black market so I can smoke more weed and drink harder