Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TeaJay posted:

Why don't they remove a drat 4 hour Pokemon run instead especially we ALREADY HAD ONE 4 HOUR POKEMON RUN

Just a bit annoyed that two runs - which are like 40 minutes total - have to be scrapped and that thing is still in schedule. Sucks for Blacktastic and Davidtki.

i like the long pokemon runs and look forward to them every gdq, as do lots and lots of other people. that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Barudak posted:

Ato seems pretty neat and this runner is crushing it for a solo commentary

Ato is an excellent game. Highly recommend it. I'm looking forward to catching the replay thus evening.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cernunnos posted:

I imagine they're wiping everything down on stage between runs on top of regular setup.

i did not even consider this but yeah i am sure that has a lot to do with the delays

bummed to see some games get cut but it is understandable. hopefully they give those runners free reign to run those games at agdq.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"fat nasty dab"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i did not even consider this but yeah i am sure that has a lot to do with the delays

They've actually been wiping down gear between runs for years now, they did upgrade from Lysol to clavicide though which has greatly increased the drying time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I like the 4 hour pokemanz runs, bu talso agree they should probably be the runs that get the axe to solve scheduling problems.

they seem to pretty consistently bring in huge amounts of eyes/cash, and it's much, much easier to flexibly adjust a schedule around axing smaller, faster runs than it is carving an entire loving 4 hour block away and trying to shuffle things around

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just hope that they solve the delays for agdq and nothing needs to be cut at all

this is the first in-person event in covid times, and the first in-person event with online segments. i'm sure they'll learn from it and it will go smoother in the future.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Yeah, this is undoubtedly rust from not having done an in-person event for so long, combined with extra COVID precautions. I have no doubt it'll go smoother next time

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Alternate in-person and remote runs so they can do all the cleaning and setup for the next in-person run while the remote run is going.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

Look, any run can be good at any length.

Except a speed run of an MMO because its longer than a week.

I'm sure I could get this under 24 hours if I did any kind of routing at all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ZiegeDame posted:

Alternate in-person and remote runs so they can do all the cleaning and setup for the next in-person run while the remote run is going.

There is an arcane art in turning a list of runs and runners into a schedule that satisfies everyone's availability constraints. Doing it for weekend long events has me pulling hair I can't imagine a whole week.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Barudak posted:

Please do not take this as a challenge to speed run FFXIV
Really-really long a thon already has people that do it. Or maybe it’s just one person that keeps doing it, not sure. They do incorporate sleep time into it so it’s not just someone staying up for 100 hours straight thankfully

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

iPodschun posted:

Really-really long a thon already has people that do it. Or maybe it’s just one person that keeps doing it, not sure. They do incorporate sleep time into it so it’s not just someone staying up for 100 hours straight thankfully

Meth%

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's quite a few rpg 100% runs that require madness to do in one sitting.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My favorite is the one that requires evolving some critter that takes a real life week to evolve. So the speedrun is split into 2 chunks 'Get that creature and start the timer as fast as possible' and 'Okay now that it's evolved we have 100% completion and need to beat the game as fast as possible'. And between those chunks you just leave the console on for a week.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Agent355 posted:

My favorite is the one that requires evolving some critter that takes a real life week to evolve. So the speedrun is split into 2 chunks 'Get that creature and start the timer as fast as possible' and 'Okay now that it's evolved we have 100% completion and need to beat the game as fast as possible'. And between those chunks you just leave the console on for a week.

Baten Kaitos

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Agent355 posted:

Its not even a creature, you're letting shampoo turn into hair

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

One of the most 'fun' parts of baten kaitos 100% is the menu pauses the timer so it wastes time to check if you have done all the secret card combinations that create new cards.

Zore posted:

Its not even a creature, you're letting shampoo turn into hair

It's a gag about a Japanese shampoo commercial

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
As someone who has played Satisfactory, this run is mind boggling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

I havent and it is.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I'm really glad that "A Minecraft mod pack from 2011" is a whole genre now

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shoot, I wanted to see this run and I tuned it right at time lol

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There are some really cool factory games out there but I"m still just waiting for them to come out of EA so I can experience them as a relatively complete project instead of incrementally as they're worked on.

But darn satisfactory looks good.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Oxyclean posted:

Shoot, I wanted to see this run and I tuned it right at time lol

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/1519377241?t=8713s

Watch at 2X speed and you might finish before the next run

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

OneDeadman posted:

Barudak posted:

I havent and it is.

They're not kidding about the casual version of this Satisfactory run taking 5+ hours to complete.

Hell, I think it took us that long with three people working at it. I mean, we were also learning the game from scratch, but still...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

everything from now through the end of the super mario world relay is poo poo i wanna watch, that's a solid 13 hours straight asshuming no delays

good thing i went and purchased a Red Bull© from the local convenience store to help keep me going

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This game is cute AF.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know they're good for donations but I really don't see the appeal of the four hour long Pokemon runs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the track design seems really plain as hell

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flesnolk posted:

I know they're good for donations but I really don't see the appeal of the four hour long Pokemon runs

it's easy, people really like pokemon and people also really like watching runs of games they like playing

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They're boring :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also this run has the wrong screens above the wrong people lol

e: ah they're fixing it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flesnolk posted:

They're boring :colbert:

ok don't watch then, go get caught up on vods of other runs you might have missed or something :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Flesnolk posted:

Pokemon is massively popular and people like seeing games they know get played, regardless of how good a speedrun they actually are

But also the Pokemon runs usually have very good banter between the participants so I enjoy em. Even though the run itself is usually nothing special, the couch vibes make it excellent background noise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only real problem this week is that patty isn't here

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Internet Kraken posted:

But also the Pokemon runs usually have very good banter between the participants so I enjoy em. Even though the run itself is usually nothing special, the couch vibes make it excellent background noise.

this is also very true, even as someone who loves pokemon if the runs were just dry commentary explaining what they were doing they'd indeed be a fuckin bore. charisma matters a lot and has made me enjoy runs of games, including some longer runs, i otherwise am uninterested in many times.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think people complain about the long RPG runs alot because if you don't want to watch them it feels like a huge chunk of the marathon that just doesn't appeal to you.

Aint nobody care that some 10 minute NES run is boring, it's here and gone, but if you're like 'yeah I finally got off work, let's check whats on GDQ' and it's loving kingdom hearts? Kinda a big disappointment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you get home from work and are blessed with kingdom hearts, you thank your maker for the manna and eat

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

I think people complain about the long RPG runs alot because if you don't want to watch them it feels like a huge chunk of the marathon that just doesn't appeal to you.

Aint nobody care that some 10 minute NES run is boring, it's here and gone, but if you're like 'yeah I finally got off work, let's check whats on GDQ' and it's loving kingdom hearts? Kinda a big disappointment.

they're always gonna be in gdq events and are never going away so people should just get the gently caress over it.

i ain't give a hot flying gently caress about kingdom hearts either and never will, but i just...don't watch them. a truly novel concept.

The 7th Guest posted:

the track design seems really plain as hell

all these tracks look like the very first track you race at in a mario kart game lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its an entire week of speedruns, if you honestly expect every hour of it to cater to you personally you're a bit of an ingrate.

Just use runs you aren't interested in to do something else, like some self-care and chores. Or if you really have nothing else to do, go watch some VODs from earlier in the week.