Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Not being translated by Treehouse they are way more liberal about all the LGBT stuff. Makes me incredibly sad we don't have S ranks or paired endings. To the point that I would buy a dlc that is just that. (And you know more supports for the lacking people so my ships can carry over properly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not that I expect to leave any hanging, but are paralogues limited to one chapter?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it is good we are freed from S ranks and I hope they do not return.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Counterpoint: I’m pretty sure Constance and Lorenz’s first support is the beginning of a romantic comedy that ends with them falling in love and getting married so we at least need that one to have a proper ending

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkIO-S6k0RY

I’m used to them dancing around the subject up until the point you S-rank them so was kinda a surprise to see a character just say they’re bi lol

Shamir also pretty much outright tells Balthus she's into women.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it is good we are freed from S ranks and I hope they do not return.

Wtf!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean, 3 Houses didn't have S ranks either

yes I know it works on a much stupider system overall for the same result. much like how they also kinda hosed up the class system

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean, 3 Houses didn't have S ranks either

yes I know it works on a much stupider system overall for the same result. much like how they also kinda hosed up the class system

It had S ranks, but only for Byleth, presumably because even when messing up on the A rank system, they realized people would be pissed if Byleth got paired with someone they didn't pick.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I actually really like how 3Houses did endings. It's fun to see what you get.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I would have never seen the beauty of Manuela/Ferdinand if not for cascading romance disasters.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Shamir also pretty much outright tells Balthus she's into women.

Shamir's entire paralogue is about a noble wanting to lock her up in a sex dungeon.

That said noble is a woman just makes it better

Also in terms of unique abilities.

The toppest of the top tier are basically the three cavs, so Lorenz/Ferdinand/Sylvain alongside Leonie.

Leonie's is just incredible for erasing armies and getting S ranks because if you combine with Lethality she attacks so quickly and with such a high dex modifier that you Lethality down basically every non commander that comes near you. And yeah, that is just really important for getting to kill requirements in a short amount of time. Also she just easily has the highest damage potential in the game, with her average damage per attack across the combo being like 1k which is stupid.

Byleth and Holst are close though for how good their uniques are.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Unlike the first FEW, mooks in this game have meaningful HP so you can't simply spend a minute having your wyvern riders goomba stomp five hundred fools if you're behind on kills.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Jeritza was my cav of choice and he is also nuts. I've no idea what the math on his unique ability is, but the gauge fills up pretty fast and he gets a significant damage bonus from it. Like it's billed as a goomba stomp, but the damage bonus is the real prize; towards the end of the game I basically couldn't get a critical rush unless fighting as a disadvantage, because he would deplete their health faster than he could their stun gauge.

Not that the goomba stomp isn't also good, you can use it to delete a base captain whenever you come across one to rack up some kills, and it'll fill back up in a combo and a half. The attack also has good knockback and reveals stun gauges if you're ever out of combat arts and need to break a combo in a pinch.

E: I gave him the platonic friendship whistle and I didn't crunch the numbers but after Shez got his treasured catnip charm, their damage output increased significantly and also they get big evil glowing lightsaber swords.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's nothing worse than the rush to find 200 KO's when there's a minute left on the clock and you have sent everyone to attack the mission target to end the map.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The noblest of nobles paralogue is hilarious. “These people shouldn’t be allowed to hang out together”, indeed.

I continue to be impressed by the polish in this game. Support dialogue seems much more hooked into the plot, paralogues and supports even with optionally recruitable characters seem to be tailored to the route, and Shez is a wonderful character for everybody to bounce off.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I gave my platonic friendship whistle to Sylvain and lemme tell you, Sylvain's unique action combined with the super multi-hitting Asura moveset is absolute comedy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Counterpoint: I’m pretty sure Constance and Lorenz’s first support is the beginning of a romantic comedy that ends with them falling in love and getting married so we at least need that one to have a proper ending

They deserve each other, honestly

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I enjoyed Edelgard, Lysithia and Hapi's paralogue being based entirely around the fact that all of them were experimented on by the Slitherers and bonding over it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hapi owns, and because of Shez's circumstances she feels way more a part of this game than Houses. Also I could see Shez/Hapi being one of the main Shez ships.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

That whole paralogue rules and is just a slow rolling boulder of the enemies realizing they supremely hosed up.

*Holst turns up and starts murdering*
"Oh god Holst is here?! Quick, kill Balthus!"
*Balthus starts effortlessly murdernig*
"What the gently caress this Balthus guy is too strong! Quick, grab the girl so we can bargain out of this!"
*Hilda proceeds to body dozens of assassins with no effort*
"WHO ARE THESE loving PEOPLE?!" :stonk:

It really proves that Hilda x Balthus in 3H is the objectively correct choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I actually really like how 3Houses did endings. It's fun to see what you get.

Yeah same. Without child units putting a mechanical incentive into pairing up specific people, I think it’s more fun when the player doesn’t have direct control over who anyone other than their avatar pairs up with. Paired endings are great, S ranks can stay gone IMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Byleth is a lot more interesting when not an avatar

Turns out being an emotionless killing machine just barely with a heart can be loving terrifying if not in player control.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Bruceski posted:

Not that I expect to leave any hanging, but are paralogues limited to one chapter?

No, they stick around for quite a while if not forever. I had one unlock on SB that involved only some GW characters I'd recruited, but since I don't really use any of them I figured I'd just save it to do on their actual route. It's been sitting there available to do for at least 5 chapters now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah same. Without child units putting a mechanical incentive into pairing up specific people, I think it’s more fun when the player doesn’t have direct control over who anyone other than their avatar pairs up with. Paired endings are great, S ranks can stay gone IMO.

That just leads to me never unlocking A supports aside from who I want to get a paired ending together. The random nature is just frustrating.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

Byleth is a lot more interesting when not an avatar

Turns out being an emotionless killing machine just barely with a heart can be loving terrifying if not in player control.

Having Jeralt around more also helps a lot, a human anchor for Byleth helped a ton and Jeralt is just absent for most of 3 Houses.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

That just leads to me never unlocking A supports aside from who I want to get a paired ending together. The random nature is just frustrating.

They should just include an improved version of the DLC matchmaker in future games. People who prefer having control could get the pairs they want without skipping A supports, while still allowing random combinations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Genovera posted:

They should just include an improved version of the DLC matchmaker in future games. People who prefer having control could get the pairs they want without skipping A supports, while still allowing random combinations.

That would be nice. Though I also liked S ranks because it can feel kind of weird to hit A rank and suddenly every new support is a romantic proposal out of nowhere. I like when A ranks don't have to be romantic because if you want the romantic one, it's in the S rank.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How can you play FE and not like RNG

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

They aren't RNG, they're completely deterministic. It just requires you to remember things or micromanage to get what you want, but its honestly pretty trivial. Its just annoying.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tired Moritz posted:

When bad RNG makes me have a bad growth whatever I can deal

When bad RNG makes me meet Hubert in the clock tower after the ball I simply cannot

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

When bad RNG makes me have a bad growth whatever I can deal

When bad RNG makes me meet Hubert in the clock tower after the ball I simply cannot

Meeting Hubert in the tower is winning the lottery

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hubert is a precise and determined lover

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

This is why I'm trying to hook him and Bernadetta up.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So when doing NG+, is it clear which characters are native to a given route rather than only being available to play due to NG+? Like if I go from AG to GW will I still get the tactics to recruit characters from the other factions that I already have, that kind of thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eopia posted:

So when doing NG+, is it clear which characters are native to a given route rather than only being available to play due to NG+? Like if I go from AG to GW will I still get the tactics to recruit characters from the other factions that I already have, that kind of thing.

Yes, you have to unlock/activate NG+ characters and all the recruit tactics still apply as normal.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You still S ranked the kids in Awakening even though it wasn't really needed mechanically because it's just fun to see the flirt melt the ice queen's heart or lone wolf slowly realise he's in love with someone who inspires him.

Also just on a personal level sometimes I like having endings that work well with the themes of my own playthrough.

Like Coco and Jeritza were basically attached at the hip as soon as I got him for my CF playthrough, but because I'd used Yuri more frequently early I ended up with a paired ending that didn't really make sense for what had happened post skip.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 1, 2022

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Judge Tesla posted:

I enjoyed Edelgard, Lysithia and Hapi's paralogue being based entirely around the fact that all of them were experimented on by the Slitherers and bonding over it.

Ooh, that's a nice connection. Hopefully this game makes up for how few supports the Ashen Wolves had in 3 Houses (I'm still pretty early in and have only recruited Balthus so far). There were some ones that seemed like they had a lot of potential, but that weren't there (probably because of time constraints, I'd assume).

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ashe and Yuri finally get to talk at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do like how in GW when the slithers pop back up and everyone starts questioning Shez again, Lysithia is all "I mean yeah odds are you were probably experimented on by the slithers. It's fine that you don't remember, it probably happened when you were really young and would have been traumatic." It's a nice moment and also the first time somebody approaches the whole Shez power thing with any kind of rationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked how Linhardt just plain wasn't interested in Shez's whole deal and Shez was offended by that.