Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Good runs to watch while Pokemon/Kingdom Hearts/obscure multi-hour JRPG are live:

- Shadow of the Colossus
- Blaster Master race
- GTA: Vice City
- Jedi Outcast
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Thunder in Paradise (I haven't seen the rest of the silly block yet)
- Stepmania showcase
- Doom Eternal
- Satisfactory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have been very distracted from stuff I actually do need to get done, so it's not too bad to have a block where I don't have to feel bad about going and doing something else for a while :V

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Y'all get really mad that other people don't enjoy things and it's weird.

I like the long jrpg runs but it doesn't bother me if other people don't and/or complain about it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WhiteHowler posted:

Good runs to watch while Pokemon/Kingdom Hearts/obscure multi-hour JRPG are live:

- Shadow of the Colossus
- Blaster Master race
- GTA: Vice City
- Jedi Outcast
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Thunder in Paradise (I haven't seen the rest of the silly block yet)
- Stepmania showcase
- Doom Eternal
- Satisfactory

or if you just want one longer run to watch, mario odyssey was sick

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

Y'all get really mad that other people don't enjoy things and it's weird.

I like the long jrpg runs but it doesn't bother me if other people don't and/or complain about it.

it is extremely tiring seeing people bitch about them in every single gdq thread for the past decade. it's a great event that does positive things for the world, i don't want to read people bitch because not every single hour of a 150+ hour event caters to their specific taste.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just let em talk man. It literally has no effect on you. It's a free thread.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hell yeah they read my dono

Also I was getting a haircut earlier and telling my hairdresser about the event and cause, and when I went to pay she asked me to put that money toward the event instead, really super nice of her :unsmith: (I donated myself then added extra on top to match hers)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Agent355 posted:

Yeah like. I'm an avid rhythm game player and I will say that nobody is memorizing tracks. It just doesn't happen.

You turn your brain into a blob of bacon grease that translates colored skittles into muscle movement. Believe them when they say that even after a hundred times of playing a track you're still sight reading it. You might recognize the patterns and have better practice creating that mechanical movement with your hands, but you don't just memorize the order of notes in the track.

even if you aren't like a 10/10 or 18/20 FC guy if you've played a rhythm game for long enough you've probably had something happen where suddenly you stop actively thinking about the game and you almost start doing the inputs without even trying to and its the weirdest feeling in the world

It's also like high skill shmups and high speed tetris where thinking about it will break it and you'll lose

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I'll personally destroy them

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

long runs that someone is not interested in literally has no effect on them either, and yet here we are

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

even if you aren't like a 10/10 or 18/20 FC guy if you've played a rhythm game for long enough you've probably had something happen where suddenly you stop actively thinking about the game and you almost start doing the inputs without even trying to and its the weirdest feeling in the world

It's also like high skill shmups where thinking about it will break it and you'll lose

Hell yeah I love this. People call it the flow or the zone or w/e but it's like watching yourself over your own shoulder and it's great.

it's either that or you take mushrooms

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of high speed tetris if you don't like the current run and like "guys doing insane poo poo" watch this which is a guy in the local scene who was the first to get the highest rank outside of Japan on this tetris arcade machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_b6H8dHHm0

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of high speed tetris if you don't like the current run and like "guys doing insane poo poo" watch this which is a guy in the local scene who was the first to get the highest rank outside of Japan on this tetris arcade machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_b6H8dHHm0

kevinddr's tetris gdq exhibitions were all-time highlights, i hope he's doing well

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I certainly don't mean to poo poo on runs I don't personally like, again just a bit miffed some runs I was really waiting for got canned. You watch your pokemans however you like. I will likely catch up pn some stuff I missed a bit later.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TeaJay posted:

Yeah I certainly don't mean to poo poo on runs I don't personally like, again just a bit miffed some runs I was really waiting for got canned. You watch your pokemans however you like. I will likely catch up pn some stuff I missed a bit later.

yeah, superhot vr especially is a real shame to see dropped, i was looking forward to that one as well. i hope it and bloodstained are just automatically accepted into agdq (or sgdq 2023 if the runners can't make it to agdq)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hl alyx got cut too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

hl alyx got cut too

that one at least was due to the runner testing positive for covid and having to bow out, although they probably would've had to axe it or something else anyways

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this game doesn't look as bad in motion as it did in screenshots, but i feel like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee had a much better look to it of the Switch remakes, even if the gameplay changes are sacrilege or whatever

also i wonder if I'll ever see a 60fps mainline Pokemon game in my lifetime

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
At the very least the couch on this Pokémon run is pretty good. Which I guess is probably part of the main appeal of Pokemon runs.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"Wow. Math. I hate it." - A Pokemon speedrunner

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The main actual complaint about this pokemon run is that GDQ is so far behind that they had to axe some other interesting runs and this one seems redundant because there was another 4h pokerun a couple days ago.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Feldegast42 posted:

The main actual complaint about this pokemon run is that GDQ is so far behind that they had to axe some other interesting runs and this one seems redundant because there was another 4h pokerun a couple days ago.

The pokemon spwedrunning community have too much political power as a cartel, they must be stopped.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

the shorter runs are probably easier to cut because it means a runner only has to suddenly come in a half hour earlier for their run, rather than like, suddenly being told their 9PM run is coming up at 5PM and it's currently 3PM, or something like that. so you just trim trim trim like a bonsai tree

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe eddaket just got murdered live on the sgdq stage by his own mom

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Feldegast42 posted:

It turns out that different games are different. Or maybe we should just only do a single Sonic game during Sonic block, a single Silly game during silly block....

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My turn to complain about a new thing.

I hate canned jokes from runners/the couch. They're never convincing enough actors to make it not sound canned and they never work for me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

thanks for that lovely demonstration of why video game music is so important, that was haunting

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zurai posted:

It turns out that different games are different. Or maybe we should just only do a single Sonic game during Sonic block, a single Silly game during silly block....

If sonic runs were four hours I'd agree with you. Four hour sonic 2006 runs, twice

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agent355 posted:

My turn to complain about a new thing.

I hate canned jokes from runners/the couch. They're never convincing enough actors to make it not sound canned and they never work for me.
you really like to complain lol

but yeah canned jokes can sometimes be a little too campy. i don't mind it that much though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lid posted:

If sonic runs were four hours I'd agree with you. Four hour sonic 2006 runs, twice

i would be 100% down for this tbh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sonic frontier will absolutely have a 2+ hour speedrun this time next year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i would be 100% down for this tbh

So would i

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

you really like to complain lol

but yeah canned jokes can sometimes be a little too campy. i don't mind it that much though

Complaining is the only thing that warms my cold heart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

sonic frontier will absolutely have a 2+ hour speedrun this time next year

Given the general jank of Sonic it'll be a 15 minute speed run.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Zurai posted:

Both those categories have way more variance than pokemon games. If you don't understand any of the routing in this run, or why things are going the way they are in the randomiser, both runs will end up looking pretty similar. I don't disagree that having multiple pokemon runs is fine, but I can totally see why people who aren't into it are frustrated.

I know there's been a few hours of schedule drift which doesn't help but I do think it's a bummer both pokemon runs have ended up being at fairly similar times. If they were 12 hours offset so people were unlikely to catch two it would be less of a problem, but Emerald and now this one have been significant chunks of my evenings, if I hadn't enjoyed either of them it would be disappointing.

they should only do one megaman game though

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Have they explained why it's so important to keep the Kadabra within such a tight XP range, or is that something they're going to reveal later?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kestral posted:

Have they explained why it's so important to keep the Kadabra within such a tight XP range, or is that something they're going to reveal later?

Diamond/Pearl are really strict with obedience so if Kadabra gets too high a level before a point the run becomes a dumpster fire of RNG.

e; and as I type this eddaket re-explains things

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why do I keep managing to stumble into keiz being involved with pokemon

keiz you're rad but I've had it up to here with pokemon

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Deformed Church posted:

Both those categories have way more variance than pokemon games.

I'll give you silly games, that was a terrible example.

But every 2D Sonic game looks exactly the same to me and every 3D Sonic game looks exactly the same to me. And the differences between 2D and 3D Sonics are purely graphical as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, even though I'm far from the biggest Pokemon fan, the difference between a really chaotic 4-player coop Emerald randomizer run and a glitchless BDSP run are pretty apparent to me.

People can like what they like and dislike what they dislike, I don't care. The point is that "but we already had one of these" is pretty self-serving and applies to a very broad portion of the entire marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Gamerofthegame posted:

why do I keep managing to stumble into keiz being involved with pokemon

keiz you're rad but I've had it up to here with pokemon

Because he's an attention hog.