Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dpulex posted:

SCIV has mediocre music

the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Well it wouldn't have run on a 286 in 1997 either lol

Well ok this example fine but that detail isn't really the point is it

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Bloop posted:

Well ok this example fine but that detail isn't really the point is it

it's kinda why there's the MetalNES emulator being worked on now. hardware emulation through code is tricky and sometimes poo poo is buggy (i am not a programmer at all either)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that I have enjoyed immensely but also feel like I'm constantly like "why is this cutscene so long?" And then followed by "why has it been so long since any real story occurred, I've killed 1,000 robots already."

Anyway, I'm near the end and am trying to finish all these insane collection quests.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I made the mistake of trying to play monster Hunter Rise docked yesterday. Yikes do not do that!!

It was a choppy mess, It doesn't even hit a steady 30 FPS in kamura? What the heck...handheld it is! Performance gets especially nasty when things get chaotic, I am not playing a game that performs this way in 2022 lmao

Handheld is still just 30 but it seems fairly consistent/ fluid

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Xenoblade Chronicles is the only Switch game so far that I try REALLY hard not to play handheld. It looks so, so much worse.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Eh it kinda looks awful in both docked and handheld, ive just accepted that looking ugly is part of XB's identity.

Sometimes I like the nasty low res flashy experience on my big TV esp during story heavy sections but handheld feels so right for sidequests/grinding etc

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I think everything looks surprisingly good in Xenoblade Chronicles, especially considering its a remastered Wii game.

Except for the floor textures. They look awful!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The art direction is really good but it's basically a souped up GameCube game so there's only so much they could do. Imagine if those gorgeous landscapes weren't a pixelated blurry mess...

Yeah I think the floor textures bother me the most, though some mobs look pretty bad/fuzzy too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just bought Mighty Gunvolt Burst on sale for $2.50 hope it's not bad. Bye.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I wanted to like it but idk couldn't get into it. Something about having to make my own weapon mixes and replaying levels for stuff, I usually love doing that in mega man games but I got bored of MGB pretty fast. Definitely better than proper mighty gunvolt and a very good deal at $2.50

On that note Blaster master zero 1 and 2 ownssss I need to snap up 3 when I next have a spot in my backlog

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

I just bought Mighty Gunvolt Burst on sale for $2.50 hope it's not bad. Bye.

it’s good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The free form weapon system is fun

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's very free form which is pretty cool but I wish they would have given you preset templates representing each major boss which could be further tweaked because I'm dumb, and they should still include the completely empty slots if you want to start from scratch

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that I have enjoyed immensely but also feel like I'm constantly like "why is this cutscene so long?" And then followed by "why has it been so long since any real story occurred, I've killed 1,000 robots already."

Anyway, I'm near the end and am trying to finish all these insane collection quests.

Do not do the collection quests, except the ones that are easily grabbed during normal gameplay

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles is the only Switch game so far that I try REALLY hard not to play handheld. It looks so, so much worse.

XC2 is worse

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Comix Zone rules. and now with save states that I was too lazy to set up and play on PC I’ll definitely beat it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
comix zone is cool but i could never beat the first level thats my story

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Something I haven't seen mentioned about Portal

In the options, it has full motion control with the Joy-cons, and tilt controls with the Pro Controller. I wanted this

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

Do not do the collection quests, except the ones that are easily grabbed during normal gameplay

I would normally agree with you. But something terrible has taken hold of me...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

comix zone is cool but i could never beat the first level thats my story

For me, it comes down to not expecting each enemy to be like a Streets of Rage enemy, ad more like halfway between SoR and MK. Those assholes have a LOT of health, and will block if you keep hitting them with the same attack.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For me, it comes down to not expecting each enemy to be like a Streets of Rage enemy, ad more like halfway between SoR and MK. Those assholes have a LOT of health, and will block if you keep hitting them with the same attack.

breaking objects hurts you too and you need to do it to progress through the game lol

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Technically you're expected to either find pickups to damage the things for you, or use Roadkill to tear the specific panels up where you can find hidden items for that.
:goonsay:

I got the game way after that era at a store's clearance sale where they just brought out a bunch of old Genesis games that I guess they just held onto for 10+ years. And it's a really unforgiving one. Almost every action you need to progress having the potential to hurt you is one of the stupidest things I've seen in a game, and really ruins it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ill still play that garbage

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Hrist posted:

Technically you're expected to either find pickups to damage the things for you, or use Roadkill to tear the specific panels up where you can find hidden items for that.
:goonsay:

I got the game way after that era at a store's clearance sale where they just brought out a bunch of old Genesis games that I guess they just held onto for 10+ years. And it's a really unforgiving one. Almost every action you need to progress having the potential to hurt you is one of the stupidest things I've seen in a game, and really ruins it.

I rented it a few times and got four or five levels into it and then hit a hardware crash. Never tried it again. That happen to anyone else?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Kins posted:

It's a pretty rough port of the NES originals. According to Inafune, the outsourced development was slow and the QA process so difficult that the core Megaman team at Capcom had to jump in to help out.

It does have the novelty of some new content: After you beat the three included NES games, you unlock a new fourth game (Wily Tower) with some new Journey to the West-themed bosses and the ability to equip weapons from all three of the included NES games.

I still think it is the ultimate missed opportunity that they gave you such a wide weapon set and didn't put in a super sized capsule room with a boss rush of all robot masters from the 3 games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For as lovely as EA is now, they had an absolutely great 16-bit catalogue, and I wish they'd at least release some of them to NSO.

I just wanna play some General Chaos and Urban Strike on my Switch, dammit :argh:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i want to play mutant league hockey and football on the nintendo switch

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

re-release the genesis ports of starflight and buck rogers countdown to doomsday imo

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Spellman posted:

In the options, it has full motion control with the Joy-cons, and tilt controls with the Pro Controller. I wanted this

I still need to try this out; I've been playing handheld so far

still so, so good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I demand Alisia Dragoon be one of the next Genesis game drops. :getin:

Y'all wanna talk about good Genesis game OSTs?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrbmcHawIE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spellman posted:

What are the differences between the two methods?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i want to play mutant league hockey and football on the nintendo switch

I don't know how faithful or good Mutant Football League is but it's on sale and seems to have a relatively recent focus on parodying modern NFL names/teams.

Speaking of which, if anyone actually plays it let me know, I'm kinda interested in another football game for a change of pace from the excellent Retro Bowl.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

I made the mistake of trying to play monster Hunter Rise docked yesterday. Yikes do not do that!!

It was a choppy mess, It doesn't even hit a steady 30 FPS in kamura? What the heck...handheld it is! Performance gets especially nasty when things get chaotic, I am not playing a game that performs this way in 2022 lmao

Handheld is still just 30 but it seems fairly consistent/ fluid

Huh, I play it docked and it’s usually a smooth 30. That doesn’t seem right. Are you playing it digitally off an sd card?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mega64 posted:

I don't know how faithful or good Mutant Football League is but it's on sale and seems to have a relatively recent focus on parodying modern NFL names/teams.

Speaking of which, if anyone actually plays it let me know, I'm kinda interested in another football game for a change of pace from the excellent Retro Bowl.

It's really good, you can even take off all the extra stuff and play it like blitz. Thanks for reminding me I have it. I need to reinstall.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally beat Disco Elysium, it was brilliant. I didn't expect that ending but I appreciated it.

Now I may dive back into Monster Hunter Rise and try to finish the solo campaign, or see if it's better than I remembered, I can also now boot up Triangle Strategy. And with the new Into the Breach stuff coming out, I want to get back into that too! This all presumes I don't buy Neon White or Portal... I think I can be patient.

I decided to give Subnautica a whirl, after buying it a while back. It's neat, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I think the ship is going to blow up and I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that. I seem to survive pretty well off of fish so that's a plus, but also the inventory is super small. I guess, I need to start building a proper base?

I'll see what happens when the base blows up.

---

I think I'll plan for focusing on Triangle Strategy (or rise or ItB) and playing Subnautica docked.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's no time pressure in Subnautica, even if it feels otherwise, so feel free to go at your own pace. Haven't played the Switch version but the game is a hell of an experience, definitely worth playing through for the journey. Just explore, explore, explore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can’t hack underwater horror stuff. I can deal with anything else in a game but being underwater freaks the poo poo out of me

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

There's no time pressure in Subnautica, even if it feels otherwise, so feel free to go at your own pace. Haven't played the Switch version but the game is a hell of an experience, definitely worth playing through for the journey. Just explore, explore, explore.

Sounds good. I think I'll keep it to longer docked sessions and focus on something else handheld then. It's very pretty.

Also, I'll start by building a base while the ship explodes since I don't like the sound of radiation.

Sad to find out that making titanium ingots means I can't use the ores at all anymore. I just thought it was a storage thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

There sort of is at first unless you turn off the need to eat and drink, but I guess it's more resource pressure than time