Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Conan went to italy and got an italian meal with jordan schlansky and whipped out a packet of ketchup

He could just have gone to Staten or some such back home and been murdered in similar fashion. And deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

This is one of those things I think has improved dramatically in recent years, most of the foreign (western-style; other non-Asian stuff is still sparse) I’ve had in Korea has been pretty good, and the best pizza I’ve had in my life was in Busan (and I live in NYC).
There’s still some atrocious stuff out there but I think tastes have improved a lot. I heard the same about coffee before my time too, these days you can’t go a block in a big city without tripping over 3 different and usually pretty good coffee shops but apparently back in the day things were dire.

Oh sure you can get decent stuff. I'm just saying the average, generic "foreign food" is almost certain to be horrible. Like in Chengdu there are hundreds of places to get an insane, terrible pizza and two good ones. Go to those two and you'll get an excellent pizza, but if you rolled the dice and got a random one it's almost certain to be the worst decision you've made that week.

My town in Korea had one place that sold decent bread. It's not that you can't get it, it's that there were hundreds of places to buy bread in the city and only the one where it was recognizable. I still think about the "rye" loaf I got that was purple, sweet, and full of corn (and contained no rye).

It's a little better than when I first lived there but I think the real improvement is information, it's easy to find the places that are actually good now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was bored so I did my own memory map, and frankly I thought I could do better

I chuckled at the 85 federal subjects.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a little better than when I first lived there but I think the real improvement is information, it's easy to find the places that are actually good now.

Okay yeah this is fair, I’d always go based on reviews; I’m still haunted by the one time I went into Mr. Pizza out of curiosity without checking first. In Seoul and Gyeonggi though there’s no shortage of good stuff these days. IMO it’s because Koreans vacation like they did not used to and have more of a sense of what these foods are actually supposed to be like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

Okay yeah this is fair, I’d always go based on reviews; I’m still haunted by the one time I went into Mr. Pizza out of curiosity without checking first. In Seoul and Gyeonggi though there’s no shortage of good stuff these days. IMO it’s because Koreans vacation like they did not used to and have more of a sense of what these foods are actually supposed to be like.

After a while it can be fun though, once you've stopped having expectations and you can enjoy the inherent comedy of a taco with whipped cream on it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm the subtle variations of density over the Greenland ice sheet.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The modern wobblies have somewhere north of 9000 US members and 12000 total members, including 2000 in the UK, so I'm very curious what the colour scheme of this map represents. Canada stealing a ton of valour. In fact I'd bet my life Baffin Island isn't denser with IWW members than anywhere in the United States.

Count Roland posted:

I'm the subtle variations of density over the Greenland ice sheet.

the map uses a dark green marble texture for the countries it calls out as basing organizations, and a light green marble texture for all other countries, there is no intra-country signal of any kind

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess this passes for a map.

How is Peruvian last? Makes no sense. It has a lot of Japanese influence too I think.

statim
Sep 5, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A Peruvian restaurant outside of Peru will almost certainly be roast chicken with both fries and rice as side so I have no idea how it scores so low.

Im vegetarian now but back when I ate meat Peruvian chicken was a fave.

No there's one in Curitiba, potato + fish thing. they like the seafood

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Real mystery of the map to me are the guys who like Emirati cuisine but do not care for Saudi and vice versa

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Real mystery of the map to me are the guys who like Emirati cuisine but do not care for Saudi and vice versa

Local rivalries often are much stronger sentiments than xenophobia

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mister Olympus posted:

Local rivalries often are much stronger sentiments than xenophobia

I like how Norway and Sweden have a 30pt gap on swedish but equally middling on danish

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How can you not like Smørrebrød?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
How is Singaporean so low? Their entire culture is just cherry picking the best food from three subcontinents, with no limit on budget.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Groda posted:

How is Singaporean so low? Their entire culture is just cherry picking the best food from three subcontinents, with no limit on budget.

It says it’s based on people who’ve tried the restaurant but I have a sneaking suspicion that’s not true

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I suspect you're right, quite a few of them just seem very specific. For example, I have never seen or heard of a Singaporean restaurant in my life, and the culinary scene is fairly cosmopolitan over here. Some of those countries must have basically none of them.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Buddy I've seen Brazilian pizza. Nobody's happy ordering that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Brazilian pizza (excluding Rio) is good and that video is not representative, ok :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This one confuses me because where are all the US americans who don't like spag balls. That is not an uncommon food. My only guess is most people just call it spaghetti with meat sauce instead of bolognaise?

Also thank you Hong Kong and Indonesia for having correct opinions on the ketchup pasta.

There are a lot of Americans with vaguely Italian heritage who have strong secondhand opinions about food.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Singaporeans apparently are the only ones outside of the nordics to appreciate Swedish food. Either they have some really nice meatball restaurants there, or they enjoy surströmming videos way too much.

I'm fairly sure this is just "Swedish food? You mean like IKEA? Yeah I love their chicken wings 8/10"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sandorius posted:

I'm fairly sure this is just "Swedish food? You mean like IKEA? Yeah I love their chicken wings 8/10"

I mean, I hate to say it, but to most non-scandinavians it's IKEA, strange mayo abominations, or rotting seafood a large man has pissed on. Maybe gooseberries.

Phlegmish posted:

and the culinary scene is fairly cosmopolitan over here.

You say this but I lived with several flemings and they were far and away the most unworldly people I've ever met. That's not even an insult, I love those dudes, but christ on a cracker. Ask me about how Mechelen is the greatest city in the world.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SurgicalOntologist posted:

How is Peruvian last? Makes no sense. It has a lot of Japanese influence too I think.

People like familiar food and Peruvian cuisine simply isn't very well known.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how Norway and Sweden have a 30pt gap on swedish but equally middling on danish

Scandinavian cuisine (hell, Baltic sea cuisine even, throw in northern Germany, northern Poland, the Baltics and Finland too) is pretty much the same, so they're really just rating the local oddities.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Wasn't Peruvian cuisine like the trendiest cuisine in the world a few years ago

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ras Het posted:

This was a deep state false flag to unseat China as the world's leading takeout food.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You say this but I lived with several flemings and they were far and away the most unworldly people I've ever met. That's not even an insult, I love those dudes, but christ on a cracker. Ask me about how Mechelen is the greatest city in the world.

Well, I can't say you're completely incorrect. Now that I think about it, just recently my dad went out to eat with a former colleague, and apparently their choice of restaurant was rather limited due to her 'traditional' palate. That is to say, nothing ethnic. This is not a common attitude to have, though, and it's influenced by factors like background and social class. I would say most people here are open to trying new things.

Also none of our 'cities' count as actual cities except Antwerp and maybe Ghent, but obviously it's still Leuven that's the greatest one. Mechelen :rolleyes:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I think people just got really into quinoa specifically. Peruvians eat other things I understand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Peruvians absolutely love french fries. Everytime you eat french fries you're eating Peruvian food. Charcoal grilled meats, same thing

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Peruvians absolutely love french fries. Everytime you eat french fries you're eating Peruvian food. Charcoal grilled meats, same thing

French fries and rice. The only nation brave enough to double up on starches for the sides

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Look im willing to call anything peruvian as long as it comes slathered in green sauce: chicken, sushi, sorströmming

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

French fries and rice. The only nation brave enough to double up on starches for the sides

Let me tell you about a huge plate of rice as a side for spaghetti at yoshoku restaurants.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Chifa (Peruvian Chinese food, basically) is great, as are both potatoes and pasta with Huancaina sauce. Ceviche is wonderful in all its forms (except Colombian), but the Peruvian version is the best. And let's not forget the cuy, I know people are hesitant to eat guinea pigs, but they're tasty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I hate to say it, but to most non-scandinavians it's IKEA, strange mayo abominations, or rotting seafood a large man has pissed on. Maybe gooseberries.

gently caress you.

Gooseberries don’t deserve that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Groda posted:

What three? India obv, maybe Indochina? What's third

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I order double red beans and rice at any place I'm allowed buddy :colbert:

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 2, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sandorius posted:

IKEA single handedly tricked the world into thinking Swedish food was edible

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What three? India obv, maybe Indochina? What's third

South Asia, Southeast Asia, and East Asia, is I assume what they mean. Singapore is classically a mix of Indian, Indonesian/Malaysian, and Chinese cultures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1542907200481333249

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo