Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Duncan Keith could retire as well I'd appreciate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If Duncan Keith could retire as well I'd appreciate that

I hope he and his big smelly cap hit hang around another year and then Holland resigns him for his vet presence

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jets hired Rick Bowness lmao

Trotz, Bowness, what's the diff really

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Sucks for everyone that we have to watch more Rick Bowness hockey. Especially for Ville Heinola, no chance he gets a fair shake

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/HockeyNewsHub/status/1542876454865747970?t=_9xNpUt-NW8NcO8WtOhR_Q&s=19

I don't know how legit that site is and I'm looking for other confirmation but suppoedly recently-signed Flyers goalie Ivan Fedotov was taken away by Russian police due to supposedly evading mandatory military service

Dude's getting sent to the Ukraine front lines in Severodonetsk

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

TNSE is a boring soulless corporation so I guess the Jets may as well play boring soulless hockey

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The Jets owners are so rich its extra funny that no matter how much money they can throw around at coaches, at the end of the day it's still Winnipeg

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I hope he and his big smelly cap hit hang around another year and then Holland resigns him for his vet presence

You are a bad person and deserve the Canucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You are a bad person and deserve the Canucks

Absolutely I do.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Bowness to Winnipeg is insane. Free Nikolaj Ehlers.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Guys guys, don't fight, you're both awful.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

*sigh*

hopefully he's old enough to fire himself after only two or three years of mediocrity instead of eight

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Booger was always on the hot seat once the Sharks announced they were looking for a new GM. In response to a question about Bob's job security, the interim GM gave him some kind words but indicated everyone gets reviewed every season, I get reviewed every season, etc. From one of the Sharks' beat writers 3 months ago:

Sheng Peng posted:

It’s my belief, for example, that the new GM will not be ordered to keep Bob Boughner as the head coach. Now this doesn’t mean that Bob is done – the new general manager may consider the circumstances and like Boughner’s overall body of work in San Jose – but that will be for he or she to decide. The new GM may also take power so late into the off-season that hiring their ideal coaching staff could prove to be challenging, so Boughner could get another season to show his stuff in that case.
In short, the new San Jose Sharks GM is not, from my understanding, intended to be a figurehead or someone brought in to protect pre-existing jobs. His or her job is to be a fresh voice who will lead the organization into a new era of winning.
Seems to me the Sharks are on the cusp of hiring a new GM, that person wants to bring in their own coaching staff (and they're confident in whoever's still available), and the Sharks are making a credible commitment to them by firing Boughner.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1542921716296568832

Nothing new here from BrooksAnon except it looks like both Strome and Copp are going to FA.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1542921716296568832

Nothing new here from BrooksAnon except it looks like both Strome and Copp are going to FA.

It’s time for Strome to go, letting Copp go is weird but I guess I’ll wait to see what he gets paid

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please overpay for one of Horvat or Miller Mr. Drury.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm talking myself into Dubios even if it's only for 2 years and even if it costs Kakko.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

mr. unhsib posted:

Bowness to Winnipeg is insane. Free Nikolaj Ehlers.

This is very disappointing. In the last couple of days there was talk off a bigger role for Ehlers and making space for Heinola and Gustafson. This does not seem like the coach to do that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm talking myself into Dubios even if it's only for 2 years and even if it costs Kakko.

PLD would cost far more than Kakko.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just wondering and yes I realize there are real world concerns and in the big picture this doesn't matter much, but is the KHL in any sort of trouble given that Russia is kind of being isolated from the financial world? I realize Russia is able to still sell oil and internally has a ton of money floating around but is there a scenario where some talented young players may try their go at the NHL and avoid being tied up with KHL contracts?

Secondly, I'm catching up with that E60 documentary on the Red Wings-Avs series and it's a fun nostalgic watch. It honestly reminds me a lot of watching old NBA stuff too where you're like "wow, that hit would be a 10 game suspension today." It is kind of interesting how they do a tiny bit of work to contextualize the thing in how it was just a couple hits, some I truly believe a bit of bad luck that led to this giant insane and intense rivalry.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jets hired Rick Bowness lmao

Thank you for leaving our Assistant Coach who might've made sense for you since he was there previously alone.

Speaking of Assistants and previous experience:
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1542941034862313479

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

PLD would cost far more than Kakko.

I didnt mean only Kakko. Poorly worded.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also Brian Burke continues to look insane and I love it.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
loving Rick Bowness. They may as well bring back Charlie Huddy too.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Just wondering and yes I realize there are real world concerns and in the big picture this doesn't matter much, but is the KHL in any sort of trouble given that Russia is kind of being isolated from the financial world? I realize Russia is able to still sell oil and internally has a ton of money floating around but is there a scenario where some talented young players may try their go at the NHL and avoid being tied up with KHL contracts?

My guess is the Fedotov situation is just the start. The Russian government is not above playing diplomatic games over largely inconsequential things and it's going to be really difficult for Russian players to leave Russia to play in the NHL for the next few years.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues hired Craig Mactavish as an assistant to replace Jim Montgomery. Clear downgrade but whatever

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I don't think PLD would be bad even if for just two seasons, but the cost would be very high. still, there's a decent window over the next two years even with the cap crunch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Why the gently caress did the Canucks hire Mike Yeo as an assistant

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Yeo has a strong track record as an assistant, including Cup rings.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MacT is a smart guy and is into analytics and had good results as a couch everywhere he's been. I kinda assumed he was done with coaching though.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Update on Fedotov: https://twitter.com/hockeynewshub/status/1542964115827728388?s=21&t=L2IQKCy3m1JiDP2tn57Fwg

Hope he’ll be okay.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thank you for leaving our Assistant Coach who might've made sense for you since he was there previously alone.

Speaking of Assistants and previous experience:
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1542941034862313479

Brad Shaw was the coach who dressed a bouncer in AHL games for some extra muscle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KfKYK8zvtA

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
long article in the athletic today about GMS/agents having strongly suggested to their russian players to perhaps not go home over the summer and worrying now that they might not come back.
the absolute chaos it would cause if, say, a kaprizov or panarin couldnt return would be wild

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
fakeedit: lol my fault for not posting earlier

Simplex posted:

My guess is the Fedotov situation is just the start. The Russian government is not above playing diplomatic games over largely inconsequential things and it's going to be really difficult for Russian players to leave Russia to play in the NHL for the next few years.
The Athletic just ran a fearmongering piece about concerns on current players who went home and if they'll be allowed back out. I was expecting mccarthyite levels of nonsense so it was less alarmist than I'd have figured, but not exactly sober.

The biggest interesting aspect to me was the revelation that a number of players were essentially beyond the scope of their temporary visa authorizarions last year because all official channels were so overloaded. They may not be able to get away with "promise, we'll get the official visa soon" this year.

Rumor has been that Russian players are falling on the draft board because of the KHL/coming over concern, even from teams who didn't typically consider that risk before the war.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1542996707499159552?t=L3tnzv6KcaV0BXcs1symow&s=19

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I feel like that’s a decent cost for Boeser. Nice for him too with everything else going on.

Now trade Miller.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Good Boeser deal

Yeo is a good assistant, but that's it - only a good assistant, keep him away from the HC gig and it's fine. Losing Shaw sucks, though. Trent Cull also promoted to assistant coach with the big club. Is he the heir apparent if Boudreau crashes and burns?

Jeremy Colliton was hired as HC in Abbotsford to replace Cull.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 1, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I believe ever since Panarin spoke out about Putin, he doesn't really go back to Russia. at least I hope not!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1542997294399868928

I guess this makes him easier to trade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/aiviskalnins/status/1542979451021139970?t=WDa66bJgUwwq4Vu8_YR5Qg&s=19

wonderful