Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

vonnegutt posted:

Once you feel comfortable just skating around in circles or whatever, find a few tutorials for slowing down and stopping and try those. The key to learning on your own is to pick a skill and practice practice practice.

Oh yeah, in addition to everything everyone's said already, I want to emphasize this above. Definitely find a nice flat surface that you can do some laps and practice your stride, but also go out, once you're capable of staying upright, and make sure you spend some time practicing a skill. At first, the skills you should be practicing are 1) balance and 2) braking, not necessarily in that order.

Once you're able to balance on two feet, you should be practicing balancing on one foot, because almost all techniques require you to be able to stay upright while one of your feet is off the ground or doing something else. If you have heel brakes, practice braking with it in a safe area without hills, children, cars etc. If you don't have heel brakes, then you need to practice the pizza brake (from skiing and to build up those muscles), the drag stop and turning to get rid of your momentum. Drag and turn are the faster ways to brake, so learn them.

Once you're ok at balance and braking, you can start getting into the fun bits like skating backwards or crossovers.

I spent the second summer of the pandemic (last year) learning from more or less zero how to skate and it's a fantastic exercise that keeps you interested because once you learn one thing there's always something else to learn. If you just want to go out and skate some laps around a flat field, I like 3 x 110mm wheels because they're fast and you can do most anything with them, like take them on the streets later. If you want to do more maneuvering, then smaller wheels and rockering setups are things to look into. Everyday practice for 3 months and you'll be skating like an almost pro until your friend who's been skating since birth shows you a thing or two :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Posted this in the MTB thread because I didn't see a skating/inline skating thread at first:

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior piece that should would be better for impact with pavement and allow some sliding instead of grabbing:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell makes me think it would not slide against pavement well at all.

I mention the VPD 2.0 because that's about the only pads my local REI had for sale. I tried them on in store and walked around briefly and they felt pretty light and flexible. Presumably the hard-shell VPD Light is a bit stiffer, but presumably I could still skate with them.

As for wrist guards, I was thinking about these Triple 8 glove wrist guards. Mostly they remind me of some glove-style wrist guards I had as a kid when I was rollerblading, and I'm all for a little more protection of my palms and fingers, if minimal.

Lastly for a helmet, I'm looking for some MIPS skate, or multisport helmet, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm in central Texas, so we have bipolar weather. It can be pretty cold, or well over 100 F. Although, when it's that hot you just don't go outside.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There appears to be a skateboarding thread in sports argument stadium for some reason: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104299&pagenumber=130&perpage=40

For helmets the Virginia tech ratings are interesting but they don't have that many multi sport helmets with good (low ratings)

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2022

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Posted this in the MTB thread because I didn't see a skating/inline skating thread at first:

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior piece that should would be better for impact with pavement and allow some sliding instead of grabbing:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell makes me think it would not slide against pavement well at all.

I mention the VPD 2.0 because that's about the only pads my local REI had for sale. I tried them on in store and walked around briefly and they felt pretty light and flexible. Presumably the hard-shell VPD Light is a bit stiffer, but presumably I could still skate with them.

As for wrist guards, I was thinking about these Triple 8 glove wrist guards. Mostly they remind me of some glove-style wrist guards I had as a kid when I was rollerblading, and I'm all for a little more protection of my palms and fingers, if minimal.

Lastly for a helmet, I'm looking for some MIPS skate, or multisport helmet, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm in central Texas, so we have bipolar weather. It can be pretty cold, or well over 100 F. Although, when it's that hot you just don't go outside.

I'm in the same hunt for knee pads. Let us know if they work out for skating.

I have those gloves and they're pretty comfy. I was expecting them to reek (being leather and harder to wash) but they've been OK when aired out after use.

I tried a few MIPS helmets but found they didn't sit on my head as comfortably my mtb ones. I settled on a non-mips S-One, fits nicely. Helmets are something you want to feel perfect, so I'd try out the triple 8 Gotham / certified if returns are easy enough? I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else has recommendations?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Helmets:

I have a triple 8 dual certified helmet that I was using when practicing skating backwards more but virginia tech's testing gives it a pretty bad rating.

I've been using a random older bike helmet when I'm not doing anything particularly dangerous-seeming but I might replace it with the Specialized Align II (MIPS) which seems to be the best tradeoff between cost ($50) and rating in virginia tech's ratings (presumably if you're just skating forwards at moderate speeds the requirements for a helmet should be very similar to cycling).

Admittedly, I'm not sure how applicable their test methodology would be to things like aggressive skating, skating backwards, etc. though. Especially if you're at a skate park it might not necessarily be that meaningful but I haven't looked into the exact details so I'm not sure.

Also, MIPS is probably only meaningful if you keep the helmet really tight but ideally I guess you should do that.

Virginia tech gives an extremely good score to the Specialized Mode (MIPS) which seems like it would be decent for skating but it's very expensive and pretty dorky looking.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 29, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've tried loads of knee pads and although my favourite are probably the triple 8 undercover gaskets, if you fall and slide they get pulled out of the way and you still grind a hole in your knee. I've got a set of the Ennui gasket type pads that are kind of like those biking ones and although they're super protective, you sweat like a motherfucker with them on.

So at the moment I'm using some generic Powerslide hardshell pads and even with some fair falls, they've held up and stayed in position, they're reasonably breathable and you can just about get them on under trousers.

E: ennui knee gaskets (they're super expensive, I paid less than this!) https://www.locoskates.com/products/ennui-shock-sleeve-pro-knee-gaskets-pads?variant=16029404037163

Powerslide hardshells that I currently use. Cheap, durable and comfortable: https://powerslide.com/products/standard-men-knee-pad

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 29, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've tried loads of knee pads and although my favourite are probably the triple 8 undercover gaskets, if you fall and slide they get pulled out of the way and you still grind a hole in your knee. I've got a set of the Ennui gasket type pads that are kind of like those biking ones and although they're super protective, you sweat like a motherfucker with them on.

So at the moment I'm using some generic Powerslide hardshell pads and even with some fair falls, they've held up and stayed in position, they're reasonably breathable and you can just about get them on under trousers.

E: ennui knee gaskets (they're super expensive, I paid less than this!) https://www.locoskates.com/products/ennui-shock-sleeve-pro-knee-gaskets-pads?variant=16029404037163

Powerslide hardshells that I currently use. Cheap, durable and comfortable: https://powerslide.com/products/standard-men-knee-pad
I've been mostly using some cloth ones that are I guess are like the triple 8 gaskets but worse but I want to find both some ones that I can wear under pants that are a little better and some hard shell ones that I like.

It should probably be noted that in addition to typically providing more padding, the hard shell ones that you wear on top of any clothing are theoretically inherently superior because you can slide on them.

The one problem with the cheaper hard shell ones is (from my experience back when I was falling a lot more lol) if you don't fall on the front of your knee they can easily slide around and so if you're wearing shorts, especially, you don't get much protection on the sides and back of your knee at all and it's really easy to fall on your thighs for example.

Some of the heavier duty ones have pads and or neoprene on the sides but they're more expensive, availability seems to be limited, and the sizing seems to be much more complicated.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 29, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I have a pair of Triple 8 street knee pads that have taken many beatings and come out fine, and they have a bigger version that might be better for beginner skateboarding. I also have those ennui gaskets and they’re good for glancing blows (minus the road rash) but not for falls straight into the ground.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah I've had two sets of these: https://www.locoskates.com/products/triple-eight-covert-gasket-kneepads and direct impacts are actually fine (caught a pothole and slammed straight into the ground), but if you slide they'll get pulled out of position. To be fair last time that happened I was carrying the extra weight of a speaker and battery pack plus radio receiver but still.

I just hate hard shell pads over trousers, it's so uncomfortable.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

New Wizard frames, new Leon content :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glaAT-gPLy4

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

went skating for the first time since it was warm out and practiced jumping over lines in the pavement. I got the hang of it, but any recommended videos on how to practice jumping off curbs or more advanced stuff?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mauser posted:

went skating for the first time since it was warm out and practiced jumping over lines in the pavement. I got the hang of it, but any recommended videos on how to practice jumping off curbs or more advanced stuff?

This series of videos is p good

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gSpZBCE2e0c

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone skate BONT wheels? I'm looking for something outdoor/park for my quads and they seem to have a p good reputation but if anyone has personal experience I'd love to hear before I dive in to $60 (E: lol $70) worth of wheels.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just thought I'd post an update.

I wore my toe stops down to metal so really had to get replacements so just decided to pull the trigger on a cheap set of outdoor wheels that I just really liked the color of in a hardness I like to ride that happen to match my silly teal stops.

P pumped to set my skates up tomorrow and fool around at the skatepark like an olds mans.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Post video!!!

Speaking of video, new Wizard vid, v serene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Fujj6GoMY

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

black.lion posted:

Post video!!!

Lol, would love to but my idiot rear end ordered stops with the WRONG loving ARBOR :killing:

Anyone skate quads want a free set of 8mm teal stops??????

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Anyone know of a decent skate bag with room for a laptop in it? Now I have to haul a laptop back and forth to the office, if I don't go in two days in a row I have to take it with me if I'm doing the London Wednesday or Friday skate, plus ofc skates, pads and clothes.

I bought one of these thinking it was perfect but it's a) massive and b) can't actually fit a pair of adult 3x110 skates in it because it's too narrow, it can just fit 4x80s .

The picture is bullshit basically.

I have a light powerslide one that's great for skates only but that can't fit a laptop in it if the skates are strapped to the back.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Honestly I've been on the hunt for a good skate-holding bag for years and never found one - at this point I just tie laces and sling them over my shoulder or use that huge Powerslide carabiner and carry them separately, with a bag for everything else :(

If I were going to take another shot, I'd try this: https://oakcityskate.com/collections/bag-and-back-packs/products/blade-club-camera-bag-v3-2021-release-1

...but it's surely humongous

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a random cheap backpack from amazon where the skates stick out the sides and it might be able to hold a laptop but in general it doesn't hold stuff that securely so I'm not sure I would trust it.

Decathlon has a bag where the skates strap on to the outside (https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?variant=39591537573950) that I haven't tried but it looks like it might be better... Unfortunately, it's been listed as out of stock on their US website for a while so I'm not sure it's ever going to be available again.

The straps design isn't that complicated so you could theoretically probably add straps like that to a laptop bag yourself if you're handy with stuff like that though.

If you're only carrying around the skates for a short period you could use a snowboard boot strap, carabiner, or a folding duffle bag thing to carry the skates

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 6, 2022

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The 50/50 backpack is pretty beefy and has a laptop space. Lots of other pockets too. Think you might be able to fit smaller aggro skates inside but anything bigger prob needs you to use the side straps.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

black.lion posted:

Honestly I've been on the hunt for a good skate-holding bag for years and never found one - at this point I just tie laces and sling them over my shoulder or use that huge Powerslide carabiner and carry them separately, with a bag for everything else :(

If I were going to take another shot, I'd try this: https://oakcityskate.com/collections/bag-and-back-packs/products/blade-club-camera-bag-v3-2021-release-1

...but it's surely humongous

Yeah that's gonna be the same in terms of "utterly ridiculous size without skates in it" scale.

Carabiner over the shoulder was my preferred solution too until I a) moved further away so it doesn't make sense to reverse commute in in an evening just for skating and b) had to drag a laptop with me.

mystes posted:

Decathlon has a bag where the skates strap on to the outside (https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?variant=39591537573950) that I haven't tried but it looks like it might be better... Unfortunately, it's been listed as out of stock on their US website for a while so I'm not sure it's ever going to be available again.

Yeah this might work. Or just split carry like you say. I might give the old powerslide carrier I've got a shot and see if I can get skates and laptop into it and just stuff pads etc in a bag. If there's one positive from that massive rollerblade backpack it's that it's (somehow) cabin bag approved and is actually pretty good for that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This doesn't solve the biggest problem though: if I have to take any backpack it means I can't carry one of the portable linked sound systems round :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My motherfucking wheel came of mid-skate. Nut and bearings tossed asunder deep into the gruesome skatepark puddle. Fie and foo my friends. Ever seen someone skating on quads missing a wheel. It's sad. Sad.

:negative:

Didn't fall though so that's nice.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I know this isn't helpful to the discussion at hand, but I strap my skates to the luggage rack of my bicycle and transport them around that way

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been learning to ride some of the bigger stuff at our park here but I am wondering if anyone here has any special words of wisdom about dropping into something vertical on quads. So far I can skate up to the coping rail and back down on the 6' vert but, frankly, I am feeling pretty terrified about plunging headlong into a vertical drop....

mystes
May 31, 2006

If anyone else wants to buy the Decathlon skate backpack I realized they are back in stock... but there were only two and I already bought one so there's only one left: https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?adept-product=bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982

I just ordered it so obviously I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it but after using one of the bags where the skates go on the inside and stick out that I got from amazon (which did a bad job keeping either the skates or anything else in the bag secure and was really floppy when the skates weren't in the bag) I am hoping this design where the skates strap to the front will be more practical

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still scared of the vertical drop but here's some weak rear end trying to ride manual up the trapezoid at our park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-E-MDoK78

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

I've been learning to ride some of the bigger stuff at our park here but I am wondering if anyone here has any special words of wisdom about dropping into something vertical on quads. So far I can skate up to the coping rail and back down on the 6' vert but, frankly, I am feeling pretty terrified about plunging headlong into a vertical drop....

Aye I totally meant to respond to this and forgot

So one way we used to teach the kids at the park to drop in would be to start by sitting on the coping and just slide down on your butt, then try sliding with one foot (set of wheels) down but still mostly on your butt, then try dropping in from a low squat (which is rly hard and you end up going down on your butt anyway, but the point is that you work up to it so dropping in is less scary); eventually the actual dropping in will seem less nuts.

Alternatively, you just stand up there for 10-15 minutes in silence, staring down the vert, and then you internally yell 'gently caress IT' and you lean forward into it and try to keep your skates beneath you; honestly if you can already drop in it's just a matter of tricking your brain into letting yourself jump off what feels like a small cliff, and then keeping your knees from buckling and finding the balance. Scissor stance is always your friend!!!

Disclaimer I don't skate quads but think the above still applies

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

black.lion posted:

Aye I totally meant to respond to this and forgot

So one way we used to teach the kids at the park to drop in would be to start by sitting on the coping and just slide down on your butt, then try sliding with one foot (set of wheels) down but still mostly on your butt, then try dropping in from a low squat (which is rly hard and you end up going down on your butt anyway, but the point is that you work up to it so dropping in is less scary); eventually the actual dropping in will seem less nuts.

Alternatively, you just stand up there for 10-15 minutes in silence, staring down the vert, and then you internally yell 'gently caress IT' and you lean forward into it and try to keep your skates beneath you; honestly if you can already drop in it's just a matter of tricking your brain into letting yourself jump off what feels like a small cliff, and then keeping your knees from buckling and finding the balance. Scissor stance is always your friend!!!

Disclaimer I don't skate quads but think the above still applies

Thanks for this. Gonna wait until my Evil Kineval helmet shows up and try and get out at like 8am so no one can watch me argue with myself up there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Uh...anyone have access to a bulk roller skate supply. Southeastern Skate or something like that? Dear god if one of you comes through I will kiss you twice.

They won't sell to commoners. Petite bourgeois only.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What are you folks listening to while you skate?

My album for the past week or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWlGBfbZcQ

mystes
May 31, 2006

What are you folks listening to while you skate?

My album for the past week or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWlGBfbZcQ
I don't have anything to recommend but I have to say that this does seem like it would be good to skate to

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

I don't have anything to recommend but I have to say that this does seem like it would be good to skate to

So far my fav skating albums are all low tempo edm and punk rock.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGGml5MOtK0

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

If anyone else wants to buy the Decathlon skate backpack I realized they are back in stock... but there were only two and I already bought one so there's only one left: https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?adept-product=bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982

I just ordered it so obviously I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it but after using one of the bags where the skates go on the inside and stick out that I got from amazon (which did a bad job keeping either the skates or anything else in the bag secure and was really floppy when the skates weren't in the bag) I am hoping this design where the skates strap to the front will be more practical

I'd be interested if it works with larger skates i.e. adult size 10 and/or 110mm wheels. The rollerblade backpack I got just fits a 4x80mm in men's 10 but can't take a 3x110mm in that size because of the extra height and the product photos clearly use a much smaller size skate to pretend that you can.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'd be interested if it works with larger skates i.e. adult size 10 and/or 110mm wheels. The rollerblade backpack I got just fits a 4x80mm in men's 10 but can't take a 3x110mm in that size because of the extra height and the product photos clearly use a much smaller size skate to pretend that you can.
I can't remember the actual skate size but I wear 11.5 shoes and so far it seems okay from a cursory check with my 4x90 skates. I don't think the wheel size should matter that much in terms of the straps based on the design, but with skates this big the wheels do end up sticking out a little bit above and below the pack but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. It does kind of feel like I'm running the straps out and then across whereas I might just being them across the skates with shorter skates, and it seems like it might take slightly longer to get the straps fully secured than I was expecting but not enough to really matter.

My general impression is that it secures the skates at least as well as the other lovely pack I had but it has the advantage of holding other stuff securely both with and without the skates on the pack

Hopefully I'll get a chance to actually go out and use the pack at some point and maybe that will give me a better sense (I'm probably going to try using it to take skates on the bus or train at some point).

---

Unrelated to that I've been having the worst time trying to find knee pads I like because I mostly end up wearing cloth knee sleeves because I like the way they fit but I wanted more protection and I finally bought "Powerslide onesie" knee pads which are like a cloth knee sleeve but with a plastic cover just over the pad part in the middle.

I'm definitely at the upper end of the thigh thickness range for them if they don't stretch out during use but they still seem comfortable enough and I really like the general design:

They probably won't be practical in colder weather though (they're probably too thick to wear under pants).

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 6, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

---

Unrelated to that I've been having the worst time trying to find knee pads I like because I mostly end up wearing cloth knee sleeves because I like the way they fit but I wanted more protection and I finally bought "Powerslide onesie" knee pads which are like a cloth knee sleeve but with a plastic cover just over the pad part in the middle.

I'm definitely at the upper end of the thigh thickness range for them if they don't stretch out during use but they still seem comfortable enough and I really like the general design:

They probably won't be practical in colder weather though (they're probably too thick to wear under pants).

Good info on the bag thanks.

On the pads, I used triple 8 gaskets for ages until I wiped out twice and in both cases the pads got dragged out of place and shredded my knee, so now I mostly use these powerslide hard shell pads https://powerslide.com/products/standard-men-knee-pad

They're really good. Nice and light, not too large and so far have stayed in place. Will just about go under loose trousers.

I bought some of those massive gasket ones that do like half your calf as well but they're so incredibly hot and sweaty I hardly use them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to admit that that style of knee pads is the cheapest, has the best protection for normal use, and is generally the most practical so I should probably just use them but I guess I'm too stubborn.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Landed my first vert trick. Got a big juicy grab and made it look super easy. Feels loving good. Just for fun, here's what my leg looked like after I tried this trick the last time:

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I just got some bearings in the mail and previously they had shields on both sides, but these are open on one side. They're ilq 7 plus where the previous ones were just ilq 7. Is that normal? I put the open side inside but haven't gone out with them yet