Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just smh if you don't float your towns up in the air over the original biome in a terrarium-like biome recreation. Desert town can't get corrupted if it's 200 feet up off the ground!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Holy poo poo, somebody's remaking Red Cloud
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2824879484&searchtext=

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:aaa: Holy poo poo. I'd fallen off my modded 1.4 playthrough, but I'm absolutely gonna be giving this a go tonight.

EDIT: Speaking of unexpected mods:

DragonBall Terraria Ported

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 1, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm gonna wait for it to be more complete, but holy poo poo.

Also somebody ported the dragon ball mod to 1.4 EDIT: drat, you beat me

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh hey, that looks cool. Might give it a try while I wait for other stuff to get ported. Is it something that should be played without any other mods?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Probably, it's a remake of one of the very first mods/adventure maps, pre-tmodloader.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It was incredibly cool at the time. I wonder if they ported over the souls upgrade gimmick...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah one of the Red Cloud devs says on the page that it’s incredibly prone to crashing with any other mods enabled.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah one of the Red Cloud devs says on the page that it’s incredibly prone to crashing with any other mods enabled.
Oh, for real? I as just assuming having other mods installed would break logic of the mod or critical crafting recopies or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Red Cloud was an absolutely fascinating thing to play way back when. It was incredibly janky and buggy and borderline non-functional in many ways, and basically relied on the honor system of you not using digging mechanics to bypass a lot of the checks and balances, but it was one of the very first attempts to introduce custom assets to Terraria and is really neat because of it.

I'll play the poo poo out of that once it's in a decently finished state.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

holy poo poo red cloud

DoubleNegative posted:

:aaa: Holy poo poo. I'd fallen off my modded 1.4 playthrough, but I'm absolutely gonna be giving this a go tonight.

EDIT: Speaking of unexpected mods:

DragonBall Terraria Ported

hell YES red cloud 1.4 with ki blasts

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Red tweeted Monster Hunter and Capcom asking if he could use a Kirin for 1.5.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
With all the things they're adding to this update, I wondered when it would just end up turning into 1.5.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m thoroughly convinced that redigit doesnt know what the word “final” means

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
He uses it in the same sense as "final" fantasy

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The tmodloader devs, after finally pushing out tmodloader 1.4, see redigit talking about 1.5 and bury their heads in their hands.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

just when i thought i was out i pull me back in

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Terraria is second only to Vampire Bloodlines in terms of 'saw game's name somewhere, now I have to reinstall it'.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wild, absolutely wild, that you ever uninstall it in the first place.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Terraria is second only to Vampire Bloodlines in terms of 'saw game's name somewhere, now I have to reinstall it'.

I did this after like 6 years or something and now me and my son are hopelessly addicted again. Trying to beat the destroyer as melee, we farmed up an ankh shield, terraspark boots, and I got an ice sickle to drop last night. Mechanical bosses are so hard.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bij posted:

Red tweeted Monster Hunter and Capcom asking if he could use a Kirin for 1.5.

lmao, of course

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nighthand posted:

Wild, absolutely wild, that you ever uninstall it in the first place.

Sometimes I get all ADHD about the length of my installed games list and brutally prune it down and then over the following week or two end up re-adding at least as many.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Augus posted:

I’m thoroughly convinced that redigit doesnt know what the word “final” means

All that he has added to this game without every charging for DLC or raising the price of the PC version is incredible, possibly unprecedented, probably never to be seen again. I'm not going to pat him on the back too hard as he has made mountains of money regardless. However, sometimes I wish that he would put a bow on the PC version, start a new project and let the console versions catch up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

All that he has added to this game without every charging for DLC or raising the price of the PC version is incredible, possibly unprecedented, probably never to be seen again. I'm not going to pat him on the back too hard as he has made mountains of money regardless. However, sometimes I wish that he would put a bow on the PC version, start a new project and let the console versions catch up.

Yeah I'm not going to complain about the infinite reams of content Terraria has gotten completely free over the decade+ of its existence, but I actually wish they'd move on to making a Terraria 2 with stuff like ground-up mod support.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kanos posted:

Yeah I'm not going to complain about the infinite reams of content Terraria has gotten completely free over the decade+ of its existence, but I actually wish they'd move on to making a Terraria 2 with stuff like ground-up mod support.

It's obvious that this game was originally a labour of love, which is rare in this age of cynical profiteering in every area of industry. Plus, I think that Redigit isn't beholden to a bunch of greedy, parasitic shareholders who want him to stop giving free content and move on to the hacked out, predictable sequel, but I also wish that he would start a new product.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, they've tried to do "another Terraria" at least two times, I'm pretty sure? Nothing ever seemed to work out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah there was that one they had licensed out, then I think fired the developer and hired another one, then fired them? I remember final word is it was scrapped for quality issues.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think red's just aware that if he makes a new game there's a good chance it could be not great, but this one's already there so he just has to tack things on to it. It's low risk, and the effort it takes to double terraria is probably significantly less than the effort to build a whole new game that size.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a certain nervousness or fear with the idea of building something new as well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Terraria is a difficult game to follow because there isn’t a simple way to iterate on the formula in ways that aren’t just adding more stuff and polishing the Ui and appearance (which is exactly what Redigit has done).

Like the Spiderweb guy can keep on making games with new quests, settings and worlds based on the formula - i think a Terraria 2 with better graphics and a new setting wouldn’t be as interesting.

IIRC the cancelled game’s gimmick was hopping between worlds. Which is a neat mechanic but it’s already been tried in Starbound and No Man’s Sky, the end result being that it lowers the stakes because the player can just up and move if their current world is too messed up or lacking in some resource. The one really unique thing Terraria has that other games don’t is that progression fundamentally alters the environment- whatever a sequel would be should double down on that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, I don't even need new content, I'd be fine with Literally Terraria But On A Less Janky Engine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah the best way to make a sequel to terraria would imo be to do it in the binding of isaac way and just remake the game with a better engine. but also at the same time at this point i wouldn’t be surprised if the engine doesn’t share a single line of code with 1.0

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

JustJeff88 posted:

All that he has added to this game without every charging for DLC or raising the price of the PC version is incredible, possibly unprecedented, probably never to be seen again. I'm not going to pat him on the back too hard as he has made mountains of money regardless.

No reason to let something praiseworthy being financially successful stop you from giving praise.

I've probably purchased this game a dozen times for various people and I've never felt bad or hesitated. I think I originally paid $4.99 for it on sale and have gotten a decade worth of playthroughs with an insane amount of free updates.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No reason to let something praiseworthy being financially successful stop you from giving praise.

I've probably purchased this game a dozen times for various people and I've never felt bad or hesitated. I think I originally paid $4.99 for it on sale and have gotten a decade worth of playthroughs with an insane amount of free updates.

What I meant is that, yes, he has given out a ton of free content, but he's also made a great deal of money. The ratio of labour to profit is still incredibly in his favour, far more than just about anyone else. He didn't do us all a big favour and now he's living in a box under a bridge.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

What I meant is that, yes, he has given out a ton of free content, but he's also made a great deal of money. The ratio of labour to profit is still incredibly in his favour, far more than just about anyone else. He didn't do us all a big favour and now he's living in a box under a bridge.

Okay? I don't get why this matters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

He kinda did do everyone a big favor by deciding on a business model of "yes, you will still get titanic content updates for this game I released over a decade ago and you probably bought for under $10" instead of pursuing a more aggressive monetization scheme or simply declining to develop and release more content. Stuff like 1.4 had enough meat to easily be a paid DLC by modern standards.

There's also stuff that the dev team did not have to do but did, like making tmodloader official and working to help integrate it more smoothly.

Dude is still making money, but he's doing it in about the most customer friendly way possible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

Honestly, I don't even need new content, I'd be fine with Literally Terraria But On A Less Janky Engine.
I want a redo of worldgen, things get kinda cramped with all the biomes added since release. Sometimes you'll get, like, almost no desert or snow or something.

Maybe having some alternate planes, but a specific, limited number rather than Starbound's infinite star systems meaning no individual planet mattered. Go to the moon, say.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

I want a redo of worldgen, things get kinda cramped with all the biomes added since release. Sometimes you'll get, like, almost no desert or snow or something.

We just need bigger maps...... Double the length of the world and everything would be peachy. Also allows for mods to have their own stuff. Calamity + Thorium = squished/weird seas among other things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Infinitely looping worlds, left to right, where you get maybe 3 or 4 oceans between land masses that are the size of small or maybe medium worlds. Put 2 snow biomes at 33% and 66% to represent the poles.

edit

SlyFrog posted:

My guess is that he is simply trying to point out that the tired canard of, "We have to support these developers (which often means paying out the rear end for DLC, etc.) or they'll starve!," is kind of exactly that, a canard.

There are various developers who have shown that you can make a good game, not have soulless, gouging practices, and still do very well for yourself.

I think that is not necessarily completely fair to say just based on games like Terraria, thought, because it kind of cherry picks the most popular, surprise breakout games as the example - it would probably be far harder, for example, to provide Terraria like support for a game that is middling popular (and has the revenue that comes with that).

To be fair, Terraria has also sold more copies than almost any game ever. Part of that is the fact that it's consistently cheap and they've been adding on to it for over a decade at no additional cost, but still. Most developers can't get away with that because most developers haven't moved anywhere near that many games.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 4, 2022

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Peachfart posted:

Okay? I don't get why this matters.

My guess is that he is simply trying to point out that the tired canard of, "We have to support these developers (which often means paying out the rear end for DLC, etc.) or they'll starve!," is kind of exactly that, a canard.

There are various developers who have shown that you can make a good game, not have soulless, gouging practices, and still do very well for yourself.

I think that is not necessarily completely fair to say just based on games like Terraria, thought, because it kind of cherry picks the most popular, surprise breakout games as the example - it would probably be far harder, for example, to provide Terraria like support for a game that is middling popular (and has the revenue that comes with that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SlyFrog posted:

That was my point. Making something that sells like mad isn't a matter of work; it's luck and a ton of complicated factors. I'm not going to pat Reg on the back too hard for adding a bunch of free content because his work has been far, far kinder to him than most in terms of monetary reward proportional to effort. Plenty of devs have worked just as hard on games that had little to no success. If he had only sold 5,000 copies at $10 each then I can understand needing to get more $£€ for more content, but according to a quick search terraria has sold over 17 million copies on PC alone. I swear that some people don't understand the basic concept of marginal utility; the more money someone has the less they need and the less each additional bit of revenue means.