Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Wait, I’ve totally missed these rumors. Are these chips
intended for existing AM4 boards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Guess I'll be getting a 5600x3d when that comes out.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
5900X3D is for people who want to game but want more than 8 threads for other purposes. It'd be a pretty tempting product to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

Yeah, it'd have 6 cores per chiplet instead of 8.

I don't quite understand what Agreed is even saying, but if an Epyc CPU with 8 of the fuckers can be cooled by server heatsinks, a 5900X3D is totally possible for consumers.

The X3Ds are hot because they're thermally insulated, not because they're pulling more power. Think of the 3D cache* as a nice silicon blanket keeping your CPU toasty warm.

*or technically, the silicon blanks that stack on top of the cores

The Epycs all have 8 CCDs and the 7773x is the sku with all 8 cores enabled on each. Its base clock is 2.2GHz, max boost is 3.5 GHz and default TDP is 280W. The r7 and r9 skus are all 105W default TDP.

So yes, I'd say a 5900x3d is possible but that nobody would like the clock speed.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Trolling Thunder posted:

Wait, I’ve totally missed these rumors. Are these chips
intended for existing AM4 boards?

yes, allegedly. suggested that AM5 being DDR5 only with availability and pricing being as they are means they need a competitive DDR4 product, which could extend AM4's lifetime a bit. all rumours at this stage but i would buy a 5600X3D and sell my 3900x for it i think.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugh, if a 5600X3D is likely to be a reality that makes me further reconsider getting a 5800X3D now. Although going to 8 cores still has some appeal.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ugh, if a 5600X3D is likely to be a reality that makes me further reconsider getting a 5800X3D now. Although going to 8 cores still has some appeal.

it's still a total rumour. speculation that it might be defects from the other processes somehow a la 3300x

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

5900X3D is for people who want to game but want more than 8 threads for other purposes. It'd be a pretty tempting product to me.

no, no, AMD was very clear that non-gaming users derive no benefit whatsoever from cache, which is why cache was a design focus of zen3 and milan-x

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cache seems rilly good, frankly. it's not just gaming either right, there were some weird outlier cases (i wanna say winrar) that also seemed to significantly respond to the extra. it wouldn't surprise me if they were motivated to mature the technology and move it into the consumer space after how well the 5800X3D did. but that may be wishful thinking from someone who would really friggen like a 5600X3D, lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
somewhere out there is a factorio gamer who is in heaven

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Quad core 5300X3D :unsmigghh:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
AM5 is really tempting to grab right off the bat, but I think it'll be worth waiting around a year for it to get sorted out since it's an all new platform. I'm really hoping the next generation video cards don't end up like 2020 again, I expect the initial wave to sell out quickly but hopefully restocks happen more often and with more volume. There certainly is a glut of 30 series cards all over my local craigslist, and I feel like they're going to be relevant for a while.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

I have:

Ryzen 3 1200
GTX 1060 3GB
16GB 3200 DDR4
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Running Fedora 36

I'd like to upgrade my CPU first. I'm hoping to get something like an RX 6600 XT to pair with it.

Right now I'm looking at:

Ryzen 5 5600G $220CAD
Ryzen 5 5600 $240CAD
Ryzen 5 5600X $265CAD

Not really sure what I should pick...help?

40Inch fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 2, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
5600X if money is not a concern, 5600 if you want some change left over for a pack of beers and a takeaway as you marvel at the massively improved framerates

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

5600X if money is not a concern, 5600 if you want some change left over for a pack of beers and a takeaway as you marvel at the massively improved framerates

This, but also be aware you will need to update the BIOS on that motherboard if you haven't already for it to be able to run a newer generation CPU.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
i'd go with the 5600x since it's only a little bit more than the 5600 and g models generally. You'll also need a new motherboard because I don't think the 350 series boards support Vermeer. Good news is that x570 and B550 motherboards can be had for real cheap now especially second hand.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 5600 is the best value there - 5600X is only marginally better (a few percent at most, often less than that) while that's a 10% increase in price

the 5600G comes with an integrated GPU but is otherwise significantly worse than the 5600, it's not just the same chip with a GPU added. there is no reason to get it unless you are building a very budget build without a discrete GPU

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

it looks like there shouldn't be motherboard compatibility issues, though it is worth checking that for old B350 motherboards in general, not all models have firmware updates to support Zen 3

lih fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 3, 2022

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Yeah, I'd had my eye on a 3600 for a long time and was pleasantly surprised to see Gigabyte update the bios to allow for Vermeer.

Thanks for the help, folks. I think I'll grab the 5600 pretty quick here. Think I'll put the difference towards a new case. Then it'll *really* feel like a new PC.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
So amd came out with some new chipset drivers and they helped cool down the 5800x3d
Then they dropped another driver like a month later and it's been running cooler.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

So amd came out with some new chipset drivers and they helped cool down the 5800x3d
Then they dropped another driver like a month later and it's been running cooler.

For the same level of performance?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

40Inch posted:

I have:

Ryzen 3 1200
GTX 1060 3GB
16GB 3200 DDR4
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Running Fedora 36

I'd like to upgrade my CPU first. I'm hoping to get something like an RX 6600 XT to pair with it.

Right now I'm looking at:

Ryzen 5 5600G $220CAD
Ryzen 5 5600 $240CAD
Ryzen 5 5600X $265CAD

Not really sure what I should pick...help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifI9nnmW5sg&t=1141s
TL;DR 5600X isn't worth the extra $30, and CERTAINLY don't get a G.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Question, if I'm looking to upgrade from 3700X to 5800X3D, and I have:

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

I shouldn't have to get other new parts right?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

FortMan posted:

Question, if I'm looking to upgrade from 3700X to 5800X3D, and I have:

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

I shouldn't have to get other new parts right?

Nope, but make sure you’ve installed a BIOS update with support for the new CPU before the upgrade.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Thank you!

Oh, and a 700W Power Supply (with a 3070) should be enough right? I'm not looking to overclock.

FortMan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 4, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FortMan posted:

Oh, and a 700W Power Supply (with a 3070) should be enough right? I'm not looking to overclock.

That's fine; the 5800X3D doesn't consume a ton of power, and can't be overclocked anyways.

VVV edit: sure, but same with OP's existing 3700X

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 4, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can coax it close to 130W with a power virus like prime95 with the right settings.

You’re fine with a 700W PSU and a 3070, i run a 5800x3d with a 3080 on a 650W PSU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yo, I thought AGESA 1.2.0.2 was supposed to squash the USB bug for good? My USB devices have all been flaky as gently caress ever since I updated BIOS to try and solve a different problem over the weekend, and the last version before the most recent BIOS is back on 1.0.0.6.

Like, before, it was just my USB DAC that I would have to unplug and replug because it would malfunction after coming back from sleep, but now I've got microblips (that are just quick little power cuts that make the backlight on my keyboard blink without actually triggering the "beep-boop..... boop-beep!" of a USB device disconnecting and reconnecting) with my keyboard either making it drop inputs entirely, or stick a key down, and it's getting me killed in games.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 4, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe. There are other possibilities for USB issues you can investigate. Are you using any hubs? Are you using a port that relies on an internal cable?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No hubs, none of my USB devices have moved before to after the BIOS update.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Have you gone in your BIOS and changed PCIE4 to PCIE3? I had very similar issues and that’s what ended up fixing USB issues for me and several others.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No hubs, none of my USB devices have moved before to after the BIOS update.

Doesn’t mean something isn’t iffy, especially with internal cables. USB is a horribly abused spec in practice, something can go from working to not because the tolerance for something out of spec changed slightly

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yo, I thought AGESA 1.2.0.2 was supposed to squash the USB bug for good?

Yes. And so was every other AGESA update they've put out since officially acknowledging the problem.

If you have a non-X570, you probably have some ports on the mobo that come from the Asmedia chipset chip rather than the CPU. If you put devices on that, do they still have problems?

Also I had some super hosed crazy stuff with my machine after updating from 1.0.0.6 to 1.2.0.x -- mine's an X370 so likewise is missing that whole gap. For me it was memory being apparently faulty: I had extremely consistent memtest errors, all in the same address range, at any ram speed. Ok, that's bad ram. Went ahead and bought new. I was thinking about getting 32gb anyways.

The next day I decided to find which stick was bad, to run just one while waiting for shipping. Pulled 1 stick, no errors. Ok, pull that one and put in the other stick. No errors. WTF? Put both sticks back in. No errors. What. The. gently caress.

Could it be.. the bios update? I flashed back to 1006. Memtest ok. Flashed to 1.2.0.6 again. Memory errors came back! And regular reset to defaults in the bios menu didn't fix anything -- I'd tried that the first day. It needed to fully reset the memory training.

tl;dr: do a full cmos clear with the hard jumper / switch when doing a long bios jump

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got 2 more X570 mobos, identical to mine. I swapped chips and did some other stuff, the latest bioses are unstable as gently caress. I was even getting power offs for no apparent reason. Downgraded to 1.006 same as you and back to stability and actually less USB poo poo. Still happening though.

Yes a Renesas USB 3.0 card fixes it but at this point, AMD can gently caress right the hell off (or the mobo manufactures). Back to Intel.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Could it be.. the bios update? I flashed back to 1006. Memtest ok. Flashed to 1.2.0.6 again. Memory errors came back! And regular reset to defaults in the bios menu didn't fix anything -- I'd tried that the first day. It needed to fully reset the memory training.

tl;dr: do a full cmos clear with the hard jumper / switch when doing a long bios jump

I had other weird memory problems that only went away after a full CMOS reset forced memory to be retrained. I've now formed a cargo cult church of CMOS reset if all else fails. This was on an x570 board.

v1ld posted:

Learned an unamusing lesson: the board would simply not POST with 4 sticks though either of the 2 stick combos worked individually. Even tried at 2133MHz JEDEC settings, no dice with 4 sticks. Finally tried seating all 4 and resetting CMOS - it trained on the memory and no problems since.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I tried to update my B450 tomahawk to the latest bios with the new AGESA version and it wouldn't even post. As soon as I went back to the 2020 release it booted up fine. My B550 Mortar seems fine on the latest version though, so perhaps MSI just hosed that one up. I'm only running a 2600 in the older board so no harm no foul I guess.

Least bios flashback still worked.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you could try updating the chipset if you haven’t, maybe that does it

might want to set up a system restore point first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do always try a bios reset if there is anything weird after a flash. I don’t know the specifics of x86 UEFI but sometimes it seems settings aren’t cleared or carried forward correctly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"AMD is Investigating a Potential 450 Gb Data Breach"
https://www.techpowerup.com/296573/amd-is-investigating-a-potential-450-gb-data-breach

Who's ready for more leaks?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
These have to be state sponsored attacks, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Hey folks, thanks for the advice earlier. I got my R5 5600 and RX 6600 XT installed. Night and day difference. I couldn't be more happy.

Everything just working out of the box in Fedora was a trip.