Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Quentin having some super famous actor cast for him and having a season of him loving up and dying at the end would have been kind of funny.

Quentyn Martell's story rules. They would have been so much better off doing that in one of the seasons than the Sand Snakes story or the Ramsay is a huge prick story.

Quentyn would have added a lot to the Essos stuff too. He leaves with this fanciful idea of marrying a queen and winds up stuck as like a pikeman in some mercenary corps going through absolute hell on earth in the city where Dany killed all the leaders, freed the slaves, and then hosed off leaving complete anarchy in her wake. And then all his friends die and he gets burned to death by a dragon.

It's awesome. I love those chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

RaspberrySea posted:

I still don't understand why Littlefinger sold his crush's lookalike daughter off to be raped by a psychopath and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.

I assume: D&D wanted to use the Ramsay / “Arya” material from the books, but also Jeyne Poole wasn’t really a character and they wanted to stick to the core cast to streamline the plotting.

The impulse makes sense, as GRRM should probably have pruned some of his plot overgrowth himself, but that specific choice is trash. So, yeah, you have to assume that Littlefinger is either incredibly stupid for selling Sansa off to someone he doesn’t know, or truly indifferent to her well-being. Both betrayals of his characterization prior to that point.

But then, Varys and Tyrion wind up the same way, too, so…D&D were consistent about it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
When they wanted something to happen in the later seasons, that's all they did. "This character is stupid and didn't think about it". "Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet". Littlefinger was exactly that with Ramsay. I wouldn't even have an issue with Sansa replacing Jeyne if it made any sense and it just didn't hurt your mind to think about, and they didn't do it purely for the shock value.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It’s this. Now that it’s over You can really feel the seams where D&D got to Feast/Dance and said “do we really need to cast quixotic minor character #17? Do we really need to scout locations for extraneous side excursion #27? Couldn’t we save that money and pay ourselves?”

And then all that poo poo turned out to be major load-bearing elements two seasons later, but it’s too late. I guess Gurm was too busy playing with trains to fill them in at the time.

Another thing that pisses me off, is these two clearly have some decent skills as organisational/managerial producers. The scale of the show is massive, never filming in less fewer than three or four countries at a time, massive sets, eight million actors, elaborate costumes etc. etc. There are so many creatives involved in this show, and D&D manage to juggle them really well and everybody absolutely brings their A-Game for the entire series. That's kind of impressive! But then they start making all these stupid plot decisions and it feels like they wanted to be the cool auteurs with their capital-V Vision for the show.

I'm reminded by how often the Breaking Bad dudes talk about how they developed plots based on cool nuances the actors were bringing to the role, or the many times they had some staggeringly stupid plot planned before someone told them how dumb that was. There sounded like a real collaborative creative process between equals. And D&D seemed to get so close to that and just not learn the lesson.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
crackpot feverdream fanfic:

I think the show would have actually benefited from not shanking Ros so early on.

Then in s5 Littlefinger, who in this AU is not an idiot and still tries to keep pretenses with the Lannisters, presents her as fakeSansa for Ramsay to marry.
Ros being fakeSansa gives weight to the scenes with Theon (who never even stood in the same frame with Sansa previous s5) showing how broken Ramsay has left him that he is powerless to protect the girl he seemed to genuinely love.
Ros could have been the one to convince Theon to escape back to the Iron Islands instead of him suddenly exiting the plot left 20 minutes after escaping Winterfell.
darthSansa gets to stay in the Eyrie till they finish building the Death Star and Littlefinger gets to keep his brain.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I definitely saw that prediction in the book readers thread once Ros was shown getting more into the game. it would have worked really well, yeah.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That would have worked really well, but sadly it would have required them planning more than a few episodes ahead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't the actress for Roz talk some slight poo poo or something and that's why they killed her off?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't the actress for Roz talk some slight poo poo or something and that's why they killed her off?

The most common belief is that the actress began to ask for the same perks as other actors and that's what got her character killed off of the show.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Pennsylvanian posted:

The most common belief is that the actress began to ask for the same perks as other actors and that's what got her character killed off of the show.

I'm reminded of how the actors who played Cory and Trevor on Trailer Park Boys wanted the same thing and ended up quitting (one example, they weren't allowed to eat until the three leads had eaten first). The producers started treating them like their characters were treated in the show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
roz getting arrowed was probably the single cruellest moment in the show

hosed up

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was kinda crazy that GRRM was so enamored with the actress that he was talking about writing her as a more prominent character in the book.

Then she got brutally murdered in the following season.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That scene really stands out even in a show where sexual violence is a go-to theme. It's weirdly, uncomfortably gross long after everyone already hates Joffrey.

Same season is when Emilia Clarke, shortly after having an aneurysm in early 20s, told the showrunners to gently caress off with having her whip her shirt off when Dany has nothing else to do you creepy fucks. She's not the best actress but drat I respect that.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

some bust on that guy posted:

When they wanted something to happen in the later seasons, that's all they did. "This character is stupid and didn't think about it". "Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet". Littlefinger was exactly that with Ramsay. I wouldn't even have an issue with Sansa replacing Jeyne if it made any sense and it just didn't hurt your mind to think about, and they didn't do it purely for the shock value.

Speaking of Ramsay, some of the best examples of this were when Roose had a complete brainfart in his son's presence, allowing himself to be easily betrayed and shanked, and when Stannis led a scattered and disorganized infantry attack against a load of cavalry in the open. It's like Ramsay had some of kind of 'stupefying field' he projected around himself.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

Speaking of Ramsay, some of the best examples of this were when Roose had a complete brainfart in his son's presence, allowing himself to be easily betrayed and shanked, and when Stannis led a scattered and disorganized infantry attack against a load of cavalry in the open. It's like Ramsay had some of kind of 'stupefying field' he projected around himself.

Yeah, Roose’s death felt so weird that I assumed the actor wanted out of the show or something.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if Roose dies pretty soon into TWOW if it's ever released. He's holed up in Winterfell with a bunch of Stark bannermen that are angry and plotting against him and people are already turning up dead.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I always thought Roose was being set up to die at the hands of Ramsay in the book that will never come, but in completely different circumstances than the show. Unlike the show where Ramsay was a loose cannon and had his own agency, iirc bookRamsay's actions seem to stem from seeking his father's approval. bookRoose on the other hand is completely disgusted by Ramsay and only entertains him cause it's the only heir left he has.

My bet was that he'd offend Ramsay under circumstances where he wouldn't expect any retalliation (ie. being surrounded by other Lords and knights), underestimating how unhinged Ramsay is who would just off him in a fit of rage

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Once at a really terrible nerd con, I saw some really old guy getting super grabby with her and this was just after her character was killed on the show. It was really sad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdW5R3IDWPI

Anyone disagree with this breakdown? I think I'm on board with every smash/pass choice.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Disagree with Osha and Roose, I'd smash. And Olenna if she was 30 years younger.
Disagree on the Mountain mk.III cause of babyface, I'd pass.

The rest pretty much

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Osha plays a mean accordion, i'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMTIRn9ApI

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can I request that we maybe not dissolve into a discussion about which people which posters want to gently caress?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I mean, what would be the alternative? continue to wallow in our self pity over the franchise that we onced loved ended making GBS threads it's pants for another 3 years?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Literally anything else?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Literally anything else?

post about something else then

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Good news, there's a new Game of Thrones show next month!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

TOOT BOOT posted:

Good news, there's a new Game of Thrones show next month!

So where's the good news?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

well we get to see dragons, and if there is one mantra i've held to my whole life, it's this:

MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdW5R3IDWPI

Anyone disagree with this breakdown? I think I'm on board with every smash/pass choice.

lezard_valeth posted:

Disagree with Osha and Roose, I'd smash. And Olenna if she was 30 years younger.

The rest pretty much

Is this a discussion that's actually going to happen on this website in 2022?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

The rest pretty much

Young Diana Rigg looks really similar to Natalie Dormer, like realtalk one of the only TV families that look related. Especially noteable for GoT, which went from "the seed is strong" to "too much money on dragons, can't afford blonde wig"

Come to think of it, kinda funny that the book Tyrells are iirc the only major house that don't look like inbred clones of each other.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Sansa and Cat look like they could be related, beyond even the hair. But that's a good point that I always forget about in movies and shows. The Baratheon Brothers don't look at all alike in the show, when in the books, Renly is supposed to be the image of young Robert.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah they went way overboard immediately with RENLY'S GAY down to casting a tiny hairless young man as him (another indicator from the outset that GOT was terrible)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

Yeah they went way overboard immediately with RENLY'S GAY down to casting a tiny hairless young man as him (another indicator from the outset that GOT was terrible)

Renly was very much not hairless they had a whole scene about it!

You're probably thinking of Loras Tyrell.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was Renly's actor not a good pick? I watched the first season of the show before I read the books, so my impressions are colored, but I thought the guy looked enough like Robert (well, dark haired and bearded, anyway) and was obviously the non-martial younger sibling so he might not be as big. I thought he felt good as the guy who was popular at court but kinda naive as to how ruthless everyone would be.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Loras and Renly were greatly improved in S2 IMO, the only problem being that Renly died shortly afterwards and Loras' character was assassinated a season or two later after barely doing anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

It sucks they cast the perfect Mountain for season 1 and then he left. Taller than Hafthor, looked like he could be Sandor's brother, and was actually scary.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It sucks they cast the perfect Mountain for season 1 and then he left. Taller than Hafthor, looked like he could be Sandor's brother, and was actually scary.

And he left to go film The Hobbit movies too. lol

I still chuckle every time I think of weird Season 2 skinny Gregor.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: I think I was wrong, nevermind

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 3, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember how the actor for Jojen Reed was older than the third Mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

And he left to go film The Hobbit movies too. lol

I still chuckle every time I think of weird Season 2 skinny Gregor.

Not only that, but he filmed all his bits and then they just replaced him with CG anyway, lol