Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Nobody tell Ru what 'knot' means as a verb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's a scripted comedy episode, such as it is.

Raja should've listened to Jaida in the workroom, at this point 3 stars is, at worst, a tie between other 3 stars for a finale spot, so more likely than not that's gonna be a wasted block :nono: Unless some big twist comes along, I suppose

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

blizzardvizard posted:

It's a scripted comedy episode, such as it is.

Raja should've listened to Jaida in the workroom, at this point 3 stars is, at worst, a tie between other 3 stars for a finale spot, so more likely than not that's gonna be a wasted block :nono: Unless some big twist comes along, I suppose

yeah it says a lot about how weak the general premise of the scripted challenges is when a season like this one rolls around. what would have been a good to great normal season episode of one of these challenges immediately looked worse by comparison because it was depending on a script written by people not as talented as the people on the show.

It's hard to feel too bitter with a mediocre episode in the middle of nonstop ballers like the rest of this season has been, but it definitely does stand out

and i feel perfectly safe saying with no spoilers that there's going to be further twists because of course there are

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Strategy talk:

Jaida was 100% correct that they shouldn't block her right now. It's a waste of an action. Maybe in a week or two, but she's one of four that make the finals.

Meanwhile, it's a perfectly safe block for Raja that won't ruffle any feathers so it makes sense.

Zvahl posted:

and i feel perfectly safe saying with no spoilers that there's going to be further twists because of course there are

Also very true.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
blocking any of the queens with less stars then you is the best option

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah if you want rabid drag race fans making GBS threads up your social media until you post pics with the queen you “bullied”

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
That script was awful, but I think the queens did as well as they could've with it, the director too. Runway was top tier.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah that was easily the worst acting challenge in a long time (maybe ever?) on the show but it was still a pretty watchable episode, albeit the weakest so far. The runways were the highlight for me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The franchise seems to be including more lip sync songs from male artists and I'm all here for it. :allears:

I was so stoked at Luther, now Rick James?! :dance:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

MizuZero posted:

yeah if you want rabid drag race fans making GBS threads up your social media until you post pics with the queen you “bullied”

Yeah. Tactically sure, you block any queen with fewer stars than you. I don't blame Raja for blocking the one queen where blocking becomes a non-issue, though.

In terms of twists, I am curious. I agree there's another one coming, and I've remained blissfully unspoilered. Right now I think maybe blocked queens will get a star to award to someone else per each time blocked? I don't know why there needs to be additional fuckery, getting blocked and being awarded bonus stars is enough! But yeah... I think something like that will happen.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The blocked queen coming into the werkroom separately to everyone else does kind of give me some weird twist vibes but it might just be a fake out

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

gandlethorpe posted:

That script was awful, but I think the queens did as well as they could've with it, the director too. Runway was top tier.

I don't even know if that's true, it really felt like they were directed to ham up every single joke which just made it worse
For example, Karen in mean girls was airheaded and distant, but they just loved Trinity playing it up like a braindead toddler

Which.... as much as I love seeing these queens every episode I'm really missing the judges being allowed to criticize poor performances

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 2, 2022

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Well the judges aren't allowed to read the queens after Raja screamed at Michelle (apparently)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bolt Yaride posted:

Well the judges aren't allowed to read the queens after Raja screamed at Michelle (apparently)

Well that sucks

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Bolt Yaride posted:

lol that rules, any background on what went on there?

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just read it on reddit so might be nonsense. I want to believe

There was a weird edit though where raja should've been given notes for her awful line reading

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

the escape goat posted:

lol that rules, any background on what went on there?
A friend went to a viewing party Trinity hosted and Trinity spilled. Apparently it was the TRL ep, Michelle read Raja for screwing up her choreo, and Raja put her on blast at great length and volume about how Michelle needs the queens much more than the queens need her at this point, she's made her name on the queens' work, and she has zero right to read any of them for anything. Or something like that.

That incident is apparently why the judging has been so lovey-dovey this season; they shot it with normal critiques but realized there was no way they could use them in the final edit without putting Comrade Raja front and center.

I'm just pissed I didn't get to see her burn Michelle down while wearing her Dolly Parton outfit.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

spite house posted:

A friend went to a viewing party Trinity hosted and Trinity spilled. Apparently it was the TRL ep, Michelle read Raja for screwing up her choreo, and Raja put her on blast at great length and volume about how Michelle needs the queens much more than the queens need her at this point, she's made her name on the queens' work, and she has zero right to read any of them for anything. Or something like that.

That incident is apparently why the judging has been so lovey-dovey this season; they shot it with normal critiques but realized there was no way they could use them in the final edit without putting Comrade Raja front and center.

I'm just pissed I didn't get to see her burn Michelle down while wearing her Dolly Parton outfit.

loving icon.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Team Raja

(actually im team jinkxadia but you understand what I mean)

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Imagine if Adore could have done that back in All Stars 2.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Classic Gemini

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Willam first brought up the Raja vs. Michelle drama on Race Chaser a couple weeks back:

quote:

"There is this one showdown with Raja and I don't know if it's going to make the air but she gives it to someone who has needed it given to for a long time and this bitch gets it. ... [Raja] screams at [Michelle]. She is backstage yelling, 'fire her!' and 'she's not on my level!' because she tried to read her. Certain people judge us, and they have no qualifications to judge us apart from being friends with the host or going to vogue balls in the '80s and saying Madonna stole her act."

I don't think it went down exactly like that -- Willam and Michelle used to be on good terms until these past couple years, so there is an axe to grind there. I also have a hard time picturing Raja screaming at someone, especially someone she's toured with relatively often over the past decade+. I do think Willam tends to tell the truth (as he sees it) more often than not, so I don't doubt something happened. I just don't think it would be enough to change the whole judging tenor for the season, though -- this is a winner-winner season, they were going to coddle and gently suckle through any criticism from the drop.

I am curious to see quotes/footage from an apparent Trinity confirmation though!

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 4, 2022

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
They probably still gave the nuanced critique as it happened, the success of the queens on the show is still the success of the show, after all, and they want to mold them into a particular shape as much as they can. The lack of negative critique showing up on the final edit though, is probably a consequence of Raja's outburst. It's always easier to justify placing someone in the top if you can say why you didn't put someone else in the bottom, and the lack of that showing through in the edit is really conspicuous.
I like Michelle, and I think I might be in the minority for that based on fanbase reactions? But yeah she definitely has been getting a ride on other people's success for decades now.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Nobody tell Ru what 'knot' means as a verb

The watch group I have is mostly furries. We collectively went apeshit at that line and had to pause to calm down. You can't do that.

Zvahl posted:

what would have been a good to great normal season episode of one of these challenges immediately looked worse by comparison because it was depending on a script written by people not as talented as the people on the show.

I think this is the most apt summary of what happened. A bunch of mediocre script writers who counted on the delivery of already successful entertainers to carry the script, which only served to drag down those entertainers because the script was lazy. Even a script intended to be a bunch of lazy references and stereotypes needs to have some kind of setup -> Punchline format and this did not. It was a disjointed mashup of like 5 different genres, and the direction was "please please please please go viral" so everyone was at 120% the entire time, which makes the vast gulf between, oh, say, Vivienne and Raja's acting chops seem even deeper than it normally is.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
It was extremely obvious they were planning on putting Raja in the top when they kept showing clip of the the cum joke in the art class scene. it was really badly delivered and they kept playing it in its entirety like I was supposed to fall out of my chair every single time, and around the second time the guest judge called it "divine" I had figured out the trajectory of the episode.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Bob and Peppermint were on this week's Pit Stop and it's as wonderful and chaotic as expected.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Pinwiz11 posted:

Bob and Peppermint were on this week's Pit Stop and it's as wonderful and chaotic as expected.

You mean Bob and Monet? :v:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Classic Gemini
Right? I mean, astrology is of course complete nonsense but when a Gemini pops off there are no survivors.

I'm not picturing screaming, quite. I don't know what I am picturing. Imagining being on the receiving end of a Raja tirade is making me feel kinda like J. Robert Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad-Gita.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

You mean Bob and Monet? :v:

I don’t get this. Is this a reference to something?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

garthoneeye posted:

I don’t get this. Is this a reference to something?

It refers to the end of the episode outtake. :allears:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks! I always stop watching at the goodbyes and didn’t realize there were outtakes.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Peppermint is just an instant antidepressant. :allears:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Drimble Wedge posted:

Peppermint is just an instant antidepressant. :allears:

That footage of Bob and Peppermint playing co-op Resident Evil cheers me up, without fail, every single time.

"I'M IN A ROOM! I'M IN A ROOM AND HE'S KILLING ME! I HATE THIS GAME!"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
In other exciting news, Rita Baga from CDR1 is apparently the host of Drag Race: Belgium, because why not?

https://twitter.com/wowpresentsplus/status/1544354475153887232

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only thing worse than that script is Ross' awful canned lines

"You said one word and we just knew who you were"

Thanks Ross

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

drossy rossy lost all that weight but also some of that novelty

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
He still looks ridiculous

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
the gently caress was this episode

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

More lipsyncs like that! Not all the time, but every so often!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Noooooo! I absolutely loved Shea's video and would try to do her dance. It's a shame she didn't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Read After Burning posted:

More lipsyncs like that! Not all the time, but every so often!

What epic movie/TV moments would you choose?