Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tasbot peaked at Brain Age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah brain age was the perfect example of what a tas run should be.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Agent355 posted:

I hope the OoT tas is better if they hit it.

Apparently it's the OOT beta, so I suspect it is completely busted even by comparison to normal Ocarina of Time. My money is on them using OOT as basically an operating system for some other goofy nonsense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Yeah brain age was the perfect example of what a tas run should be.
but you can't just keep doing that, like. then you're just tied to gimmicks every time of "it's youtube within twitch within mario within dr mario within pokemon!" and that gets boring. they had to go back to regular TASing just because otherwise all you're doing is skits

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this has been a fun tas run but i really want that oot beta tas

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
A prerecorded run at primetime Friday that is >50% waiting is not optimal

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm just like why would you waste the crowd enthusiasm on a narrated video

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
They're also at the mercy of the prior runs, and despite axing several runs to this point, they're still running late. It's entirely possible they planned for this run to take place 3-5 hours earlier.

Edit: "This isn't out of bounds, it's out of the normal playable area."

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

but you can't just keep doing that, like. then you're just tied to gimmicks every time of "it's youtube within twitch within mario within dr mario within pokemon!" and that gets boring. they had to go back to regular TASing just because otherwise all you're doing is skits

No the brain age one was a regular tas. it actually played and beat the game just in a crazy way.

I didn't like the gimmick tas ones either, those were boring.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

site posted:

I'm just like why would you waste the crowd enthusiasm on a narrated video

I have no problems with it being pre-recorded if it's the only way you can show off something interesting.

This tas was ~fine~ at best though. Too much waiting and it's hard to follow stuff in first person.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

it's a shame they didn't give a chance for someone to hype up the bonus game incentive because it's really close

maybe they'll stall for a bit to try and get it met

e: lol one of them finally realized that they completely forgot about it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They'll jus tstall for it at this point since it's so close.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agent355 posted:

No the brain age one was a regular tas. it actually played and beat the game just in a crazy way.

I didn't like the gimmick tas ones either, those were boring.
no the brain age one ended with loading twitch chat, it also ended up being a gimmick

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay then that part was bad, I just remember it drawing an apple to solve math problems. I liked that part.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My dude, most of Portal 2 is you waiting in an elevator for voice lines to finish. That's just the game.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cernunnos posted:

GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

WE NEED MONEY, HIT THE "BLACK KNIGHT 2000" BUTTON

EDIT: WE DID IT HIT THE "DAYTONA" BUTTON

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JethroMcB posted:

WE NEED MONEY, HIT THE "BLACK KNIGHT 2000" BUTTON

It's a very effective button.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this poo poo right here is why i missed in-person gdq's so much

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cernunnos posted:

It's a very effective button.

Considering changing my phone ringtone and also never putting my phone on silent ever again

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Man some of you in this thread are just sourpusses. Just go watch something else. That TAS run was over a year of people scripting tick by tick inputs just right to get stuff done including an a skip to the ending that hasn't been solved in 11 years. Sorry you were upset when things were too fast and also upset when things were too slow. Maybe GDQ just isn't your thing. It's OK.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that artwork of madeline is fantastic

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that artwork of madeline is fantastic

All of LLK's GDQ art is fantastic

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Man some of you in this thread are just sourpusses. Just go watch something else. That TAS run was over a year of people scripting tick by tick inputs just right to get stuff done including an a skip to the ending that hasn't been solved in 11 years. Sorry you were upset when things were too fast and also upset when things were too slow. Maybe GDQ just isn't your thing. It's OK.

Sorry people like different things than you

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Shame Poo had to drop out of the race because his wife and kid had COVID and he stayed home to care for them, but Mouse is a pretty great guy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poemdexter posted:

well hey it is at least nice knowing that as much as i'm too cynical and negative and needlessly lovely on these forums a lot of the time (which i'm trying to get better about), there are still people who are more of all those things than i am

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Agent355 posted:

Sorry people like different things than you

I'm ok that people like different things to me. I'm not ok with people just making GBS threads on other people's hard work.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't even imagine what this tas is going to entail but it'll prolly be awesome

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Co-op TAS? Iiiiinteresting.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

poemdexter posted:

they for sure deserve a lot of attention around 2am-4am Wednesday or so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh this isn't even a tas of the actual beta, it's a tas where they creat the beta with ace? am i understanding this right?

lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

poemdexter posted:

I'm ok that people like different things to me. I'm not ok with people just making GBS threads on other people's hard work.

I love how hard of work it is to make a computer press some buttons in a 30 year old game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow this thread went in a serious bad vibes direction

did someone criticize a snyder movie or something

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

To be fair it really is alot of hard work and it's all very technically impressive and tas runs are rad.

But GDQ is streamed to a hundred thousand people and maybe you should pick a tas run that is more easily appreciated by the masses. It was hard to get much out of the portal 2 run, not because the tas wa spoorly made, but because the game just doesn't have much visual interest to it.

E: as far as the current run goes I really hope they don't just end up playing twitch chat in OoT. I get nervous when I hear about how much code their overwriting. I don't find that stuff very interesting personally.

I go 'oh thats cool' and then 15 seconds later I go 'okay I get it, now what'

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Brain Age was good but the time they used ACE to make a functional Mario Maker in SMW was IMO peak TAS

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Brain Age was good but the time they used ACE to make a functional Mario Maker Nokia Snake in SMW was IMO peak TAS

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Did they explain why the runner has to play first? Does it have a functional reason or are they just using it as a sort of human-level demonstration while he explains ACE?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Prediction: There's going to be a bunch of legacy code on this ancient cartridge that never made it into the later versions of Ocarina of Time, and the arbitrary code execution they're setting up is to load that content in. This could get very weird.

Agent355 posted:

Did they explain why the runner has to play first? Does it have a functional reason or are they just using it as a sort of human-level demonstration while he explains ACE?

Apparently there are technical reasons (which they didn't explain) which will cause a desync with what they're going to do with TASbot if the human player doesn't set things up.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kestral posted:

Prediction: There's going to be a bunch of legacy code on this ancient cartridge that never made it into the later versions of Ocarina of Time, and the arbitrary code execution they're setting up is to load that content in. This could get very weird.

i think they already mentioned that they will be using ace to get beta assets left over in the cart into the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think they already mentioned that they will be using ace to get beta assets left over in the cart into the game

Ahhh nice! I missed that, looking forward to seeing what they've dug up.