Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TASBOT is a beautiful being and deserves our love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
so what was this zelda thing that just happened exactly?
I came into the run late and this neat stuff happened. But what was it exactly?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
run of the marathon

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aeiou posted:

This also lets they use assets that are way larger than would fit on a cartridge.

yeah, coding in assets on-the-fly lets you get way more fidelity than you otherwise would with the limited N64 cartridge size. there was a demoscene FPS i stumbled on called kkrieger that did something similar

Shoenin posted:

ocarina of time had an arbitrary code execution exploit discovered several years back, which is a thing that lets them directly edit memory and insert instructions into the game so that they can do all the wild stuff you saw on screen

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
That was incredible.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Looper posted:

run of the marathon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
omg these team shirts rule

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shoenin posted:

It was pitched as a "Zelda OOT beta showcase" and started off with the player doing the setup for remote code execution, (something you might have seen for an any% in the past) at which point the had TAS bot take over to inject code to allow them to access beta content, switching back to the human to explore the beta content.

They started by showing the Arwing - a piece of cut/testing content many are familiar with, then it started to get weirder as they showed other beta assets re-implemented into the game. They basically used a bunch of old model data and knowledge of cut content and filled in the blanks with fan fiction and silliness, ending with that very wild finale.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh is the SMW relay a race of a mod? I thought it was just the base game since it doesn't mention it. That's rad. I liked the mario maker races from previous events.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bremen posted:

If they somehow wrote internet access with ACE does that mean they're using it to grab the new models and voice lines?

... Can you even add internet access to an N64 with a software change? Or I guess TASbot had internet and was just loading it on the fly.

Once you're at the point of ACE you can just feed it all in as raw data for the system to interpret the same as any other data on the console. So, for instance, you can create a sound file externally, examine the raw data of that file, then work backwards to find an input sequence that recreates that data in the console's memory, then another sequence of inputs to tell the console "go here and play this sound file" and the console does the rest.

The Twitch chat stuff is more involved (you have to build a whole system to do the conversion live) but is functionally similar.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

aeiou posted:

They talk near the start about TASBot being plugged into all four controller ports. So once they get the ACE up and running it's able to stream any additional content and code in via the ports. Like an extension port. This also lets they use assets that are way larger than would fit on a cartridge. It's a very fancy rom hack.

Excited to watch this once it's published https://twitter.com/RetroGameMechEx/status/1543033025209966592

Edit: Ah here we go https://twitter.com/RetroGameMechEx/status/1543076091761500160

quoting so this doesn't get lost at the bottom of the page

e: vvv :tipshat:

rox fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 2, 2022

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Edit: ^^ Ah thank you!

Shoenin posted:

They mentioned at the end of the run that there would be technical details published and here we go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBK1sq1BQ2Q

Other videos by this author are normally great and quite quite technical, so i'm excited to learn all the gory details.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Agent355 posted:

Oh is the SMW relay a race of a mod? I thought it was just the base game since it doesn't mention it. That's rad. I liked the mario maker races from previous events.

yeah I was sort of interested in it before but now I'm super interested, seems like a real bad miscommunication at some point in the chain

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

yeah its a blind Kaizo relay

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah I was sort of interested in it before but now I'm super interested, seems like a real bad miscommunication at some point in the chain

it was organized by the RomHackRaces folks, they forgot to put Kaizo in the description

shirts are here btw

https://shop.romhackraces.com/

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah like, I was gonna watch it anyway because I love SMW, but I love the various mods you get on it even more so that'll be alot more fun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Was there a point earlier in the marathon where they weren't calling this Celeste.smc? I feel like they've been pretty clear about what this is.

E: Or is this about the SMW run after Celeste.smc?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Was there a point earlier in the marathon where they weren't calling this Celeste.smc? I feel like they've been pretty clear about what this is.

No, the next run after this is just listed as 'SMW relay race' and no mention of it being a kaizo mod race. This run was always listed as Celeste.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

King of Solomon posted:

E: Or is this about the SMW run after Celeste.smc?

there's going to be a kaizo relay after Celeste.smc

then tomorrow night there will be a Super Mario Maker 2 Relay as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh I remember watching poo grind this for world record when it first came out this mod rules

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

who's the guy in the background with the one piece laugh lol

RAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Vermain posted:

who's the guy in the background with the one piece laugh lol

RAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

He's doing the Tidus laugh from Final Fantasy X, gods bless him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Covert Muffin?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone enlighten me on how RCE can create voice acting?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the relay tonight is scheduled to be Juzcook (who made Invictus), CarlSagan42 (who did Fly Me To The Stars and now mostly has trapped himself willingly in SMM2 Troll Hell), and Shoujo vs Barb (creator of Grand Poo World 1 and 2), as well as shovda andn Thirdwall who are both hack creators and SWMC kaizo moderators.

the level's in the relay were supplied by sio-kedelic, TheBourgyman, gbreeze, MiracleWater, BeeKay, FerpyMcFrosting, idol, Margot, and Supposedly Maddy (who may or may not be the same Maddy from Maddy Makes Games, creator of Towerfall and Celeste cough cough)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Internet Kraken posted:

The same way it creates everything else. Sound is just bits put in a particular order and interpreted by a piece of code.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Celeste was such a neat little game, but boy I wished I liked anything as much as mario players love his controls

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lol they put theo in. This mod owns.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

voice files are just data, and if you can input any data you want into memory, you can get high quality audio/models out of the deal

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

crowd lively as gently caress tonight, tomorrow night is gonna be off the hook

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

man that last run would have been so hype as a race, such a bummer what happened with poo. I hope they're all OK.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

They had rce and 3 controllers of data. I'm not sure how the controllers work, I haven't had time to watch that video, but there are 14 buttons, so thats 42 bits you can control, probably more with the analog joysticks. So you get rce, load in a stager that reads 42 bits at a time in to memory until done, then jump to that code. That code is intermixed with code and data.

That tasbot was amazing, really amazing and heartwarming.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Blind kaizo relay race, this is just cruel, but man it's a spectacle.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The tldr of it is there's a series of increasingly fast modifications loaded in ending with being able to read in controller input from 3 ports 8 times per frame. What really got me was the CRC system they came up with to keep it theoretically human-executable. I've also seen SRM explained before but didn't really understand it until after watching that video.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Man, shoujo is crushing this, I am a fan.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Kestral posted:

Yeah, don't think I've ever heard of this runner but mannnnnnn just knocking it out

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

The yoshi hat bestows incredible power.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kestral posted:

She read that first level like a book

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lol, both teams just shaking their heads when they read the descirption of the shoes.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"As a Mario player, your instinct is to drop Yoshi in a pit, and this level says no."

Best level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i love watching insane mario world romhacks