Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As someone who liked SB MCH and was sad to see it gutted for ShB, I will be praying for the ASTs and DRGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I moved from WHM to AST because I got bored doing so little on WHM and liked the added involvement of card management. I really hope they don't gut it too bad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are not that many Hildi quests. If you skip through them you'll probably get through them all in a day, depending on your queues for the trials.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Branching out to play more classes in casual CC this week. It's fun to change it up after grinding ranked with the same class(es) for most of the season.

Samurai feels rock solid. It's real nice to play a class with multiple targeted gapcloser charges after playing Reaper. You can be the stickiest of assholes, just barfing AoE all over the place and daring someone to hit you. Quite tanky, too. Can't imagine how strong pre-nerf Chiten was. The LB isn't crazy now that people understand how to play against it but it still punches through guard. Class feels strong but fair to me.

Summoner is super strange. Most of the kit has lackluster numbers but is at least AoE. Then there's Mountain Buster. Mountain Buster is exceptional and seems essential to accomplishing anything with SMN. It groups people up and keeps them in place, allowing your kit to have an effect. It's noticeable damage when you're hitting 3+ targets, though you likely won't be killing anyone yourself - and you have no disabling lockdown to prevent guard or healing. That changes if you have LB though; Summoner LB is batshit insane bonkers powerful. Casual teamwipes are entirely reasonable if you cut loose with your whole kit plus Bahamut after a Mountain Buster. It just feels really lackluster between LBs, and the LB (justifiably) does not charge very fast.

While Samurai felt solid, and I could imagine maining it for a season, Summoner flat doesn't. Samurai has a well-rounded kit that works in almost any situation. Summoner does nothing unless the enemy team groups up. It can smash... but whether it does or not isn't really the Summoner's choice. The opposing team has to put themselves in a vulnerable situation before Summoner shines. Relying on opposing mistakes to function really isn't where you want to be. It feels amazing to combo everything together and delete 4 people at once with an LB but you're just so bad the rest of the time.

Probably still going back to Bard next season.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 2, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm 43 with SMN now and I'm gonna max it out but I don't think it's the main for me.

Maybe at 60 I'll get too bored and try SAM or NIN.
I'm kinda sick of being rooted in place so much.

I will say that combat in GW2 is leagues better if you like action games more than classic JRPGs. 10 skills total per class (that you can change any time outside of combat.) They also do an animation weave where after activating a skill you can queue up another one and the animations will flow together.

My eyes aren't fixed to the hotbars anymore but GCN forces me to think in this rhythm that I find sorta uncomfortable. Granted I've only played one class but I'm counting on something else to really grip me.

Basically everything else is great, though. I have so many screenshots already :D

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That person is right.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In some sense hildibrand was already mandatory, due to all the blue mage spells and triple triad cards locked behind him

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Inzombiac posted:

This will change a bit once you get to level 58 and Aethercharge’s upgrade turns Ruin into Astral Impulse which is an instant cast spell.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

As someone who liked SB MCH and was sad to see it gutted for ShB, I will be praying for the ASTs and DRGs.

Mained MCH in SB, SCH in SHB, and AST in EW...

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I'm 43 with SMN now and I'm gonna max it out but I don't think it's the main for me.

I will say that combat in GW2 is leagues better if you like action games more than classic JRPGs. 10 skills total per class (that you can change any time outside of combat.) They also do an animation weave where after activating a skill you can queue up another one and the animations will flow together.

My eyes aren't fixed to the hotbars anymore but GCN forces me to think in this rhythm that I find sorta uncomfortable. Granted I've only played one class but I'm counting on something else to really grip me.

Basically everything else is great, though. I have so many screenshots already :D

SMN is only rooted in place early on. As you get higher up almost all of your spells are instant. Still remains an ultra simple job though.

If you want, when you hit 50 you can switch to Red Mage or Samurai which start at level 50 so you won't be slowed down at all. Both jobs do more stationary hard casting than later SMN though. Yup, even Samurai. If you wait it out until you reach the main city in Heavensward it unlocks Dark Knight/Machinist/Astrologian, which begin at level 30. Dancer/Gunbreaker unlock at and start at 60, while Reaper/Sage are 70, but those are a fair bit further off.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 2, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Inzombiac posted:

You might like Dancer. I started out on old Summoner and mained Dancer for Endwalker, it was really fun to be so mobile.

That said, I totally get that Summoner sucks below 86ish? I can't imagine lower levels without DoTs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's also not too hard to catch up ARR jobs if you're still doing content in that range normally. Use hunt logs and FATEs to get to 15 or so, then use leveling roulette, and you can get a new job to 30 or 40 in a reasonable amount of time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, there’s really no getting around it: Summoner kinda sucks to play in the early levels. Though later on, it becomes the most mobile caster by far.

Also, you only need 50 for unlocking Samurai/Red Mage, assuming you have Stormblood purchased

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Red Mage is a ton of fun. I've been swapping between that and Machinist for PvP lately.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

When's the Strangers of Paradise crossover???

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

When's the Strangers of Paradise crossover???

My Way orchestron roll.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

My Way orchestron roll.

My Way, as sung by hit band Limp Bizkit

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I'm 43 with SMN now and I'm gonna max it out but I don't think it's the main for me. Maybe at 60 I'll get too bored and try SAM or NIN. I'm kinda sick of being rooted in place so much.

I like nu-Summoner and in general jobs will change quite a bit as you level but, yeah, the odds of immediately landing on your Favorite Job out of the 20ish in the game are always pretty low.

Fortunately, the game really wants you to swap jobs to suit the situation and mostly makes doing so easy. I'd suggest trying some of the other seeing how they feel. It's admittedly a little hard to evaluate any job at low levels, but you should be able to get some idea and it's nice to have a couple of options to switch between as you level. I'd suggest Archer/Bard to try a proc-heavy range DPS and Rogue/Ninja or Pugilist/Monk to try a melee. Probably not Lancer/Dragoon, which has a very slow start, or Thaumaturge/Black Mage which is explicitly the most turret of casters outside of healers so if you hate that aspect of SMN/SCH right now you should probably not level as caster or healer. The tanks are also options if tanking dungeons doesn't seem too anxiety-inducing. Tanking in 14 is a lot easier than it is in most MMOs, but you will be running at the front of the group which not everyone loves.

To get started on alt leveling: do class quests, hunting log and just random murder to 15, then queue for Leveling Roulette, then do the highest dungeon available. Do job quests, hunts, quests or fates between dungeons if there's a queue (or use Duty Support or the older, abandoned Squadron system once you unlock it to run them with AI buddies, but that's usually slower). If you can grab or be a tank or a healer it'll be a lot faster.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 2, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
As others have said, Summoner ends up exceptionally mobile - it just doesn't start that way. I'd give Archer/Bard a spin. If you wait until 60 though Dancer will start at that level and is the most mobile class in the game, bar none.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
You probably will want to at least try one job in each of the other roles of the game (Tank, Healer, Melee Dps, and Ranged dps) for various reasons.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
The GC Squadron system can be pretty good for leveling. The more you use your squad members, the more powered up they get. I think they can get something like 40%+ damage buffs this way. Make sure you're bringing either arcanists or archers, as the simple AI has the easiest time doing quick damage that way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for all the insight, folks.

It's frustrating that becoming a more mobile caster is going to come so late but I'm not struggling with any content yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

Cries in controller player.

you get way more easy-to-access buttons on controller than keyboard. My dragoon layout has a duplicated skill and still has a bunch of empty slots. While the options are not well-surfaced and are frustrating to discover without reading a guide on controller configuration, there is no need to pare down buttons for any class in the game to make them playable on controller. The controller defaults just need to be better so people realize they have more than 16 buttons

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

you get way more easy-to-access buttons on controller than keyboard. My dragoon layout has a duplicated skill and still has a bunch of empty slots. While the options are not well-surfaced and are frustrating to discover without reading a guide on controller configuration, there is no need to pare down buttons for any class in the game to make them playable on controller. The controller defaults just need to be better so people realize they have more than 16 buttons

Yeah it’s just that I have things set up so my mounts and emotes and classes are on my WXHB so I have 32 buttons with default and extended hotbar. Having 33 actions with SAM would drive me mad, because it just barely doesn’t fit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

https://twitter.com/Luna_Nix_FF14/status/1542899133639704576?t=P-gG-xDxDRWMJuAwSsceTA&s=19

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 2, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Leal posted:

My Way, as sung by hit band Limp Bizkit

Footfalls is 90% of the way there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wow, doing a 24 hour shutdown on July 4th certainly is a bold choice.

I for one was going to play all day instead of celebrating this dog poo poo country.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
well now you have to

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well poo poo, I was hoping to have the entire weekend to limp to PVP season rank 30. Now I gotta actually grind a little bit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh, does the reward series end this weekend? I’m almost at the archfiend coffer, guess I’ll spend some more time in CC before doing the HW Manderville quests!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Well poo poo, I was hoping to have the entire weekend to limp to PVP season rank 30. Now I gotta actually grind a little bit.

The 1-30 thing continues until 6.2.
Only the copper, silver, gold etc ranks restart with 6.18

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm pretty sure the series isn't rolling over yet, only the pvp season. The only reward you'll miss out on is a portrait frame based on your rank

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol that nobody understands the distinction between pvp series and pvp season (this confusion is entirely S-E's fault for naming them so similarly)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

lol that nobody understands the distinction between pvp series and pvp season (this confusion is entirely S-E's fault for naming them so similarly)

I guess I was confused!

And am still confused why they would reset the ranked series rating before the season rating, rather than just doing them together.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inzombiac posted:

Wow, doing a 24 hour shutdown on July 4th certainly is a bold choice.

I for one was going to play all day instead of celebrating this dog poo poo country.

Just means more time to play Monster Hunter Sunbreak.

Only fireworks I'm gonna see is Wyvernblasting monster faces with my gunlance.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I guess I was confused!

And am still confused why they would reset the ranked series rating before the season rating, rather than just doing them together.

My impression is that resetting ranked more frequently might lead to ranked being more active instead of dying out near the end of a series, but they don't want to reset the rewards season that often so non tryhards have plenty of time to get everything if they want to.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/Xepla/status/1543297230676828160

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This just looks like any given moment in a very standard Frontline match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/miqote_txt/status/1542863253059280898?s=21&t=Z_d75Ez2IrazVNo-MrS4Rw