Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
NASA has posted ads looking for a 747 flight engineer for SOFIA, and I can't imagine they got terribly many responses.

They're scrapping SOFIA this year anyway (the program has never been well run, so this wasn't a surprise), so that'll solve that particular issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That'll rattle some fillings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxWp7HTcWs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

NASA has posted ads looking for a 747 flight engineer for SOFIA, and I can't imagine they got terribly many responses.

They're scrapping SOFIA this year anyway (the program has never been well run, so this wasn't a surprise), so that'll solve that particular issue.

Doesn’t the E-4 have a flight engineer? The ad might be some sort of formality for a temporary assignment/job.

edit: yes, 2 pilots, flight engineer, navigator

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 29, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:shrug:

Not great, but it doesn't seem terrible to me.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PhotoKirk posted:

This is the sort of stuff I doodle when I'm supposed to be listening to my boss.

I like the frankly Cobra-esque buildings under the glass dome

So if you wanted to build a stonking-ly gigantic aero engine, would turbines even work? I'm guessing it is really, like, super important the turbine doesn't turn faster than the speed of sound.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I like the frankly Cobra-esque buildings under the glass dome

So if you wanted to build a stonking-ly gigantic aero engine, would turbines even work? I'm guessing it is really, like, super important the turbine doesn't turn faster than the speed of sound.

Nah plenty of jet engine turbine blade tips exceed the speed of sound, subsonic blade tips are more efficient, but it’s worth paying the penalty for overall engine performance. Also lots of the consequences of supersonic blade tips don’t happen because the shroud stops things like blade tip vortices stealing energy and making lots of noise.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

illectro posted:

the shroud stops things like blade tip vortices stealing energy and making lots of noise.

well that part depends on your definition of "lots" of noise :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ej_ITwTIrQ&t=111s

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I recently heard from a current 737 captain, who previously was a KC-10/C-130/C-21 pilot, that he smacked his first 737 landing fearing that masks might have deployed after doing just fine in sims and all his previous aircraft experience. Makes me wonder how common that is.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

what is this and how did it happen?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The front rear end fell off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

what is this and how did it happen?

That’s the tailcone on the DC-9 that pops off when you open the rear hatch/slide. I’m not sure if there’s any equipment in that area too.

edit: Douglas FA training video circa… 1980ish? Tail cone at 30s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAndXzhgurI

As for how… I mean it’s supposed to pop off so you have a variety of options both interior and exterior.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 30, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warbird posted:

The front rear end fell off.

That’s not very common, I’d just like to make that point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

That’s not very common, I’d just like to make that point.

Not to undermine the joke but I was glancing through the youtube comments on that one I posted and then an airliners.net or some other plane forum thread that came up and some mechanics were saying that they occasionally just fell off the first flight after depot work. Airflow would keep it attached in flight but on touchdown it wasn't unheard of for them to just fall off on the runway and nobody inside the plane would notice a thing. Apparently its a very light piece, I guess because in case of a belly landing a single passenger could shove it out of the way if needed.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 30, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok here’s some proper insanity/hosed up poo poo:

Most of you at some point have probably seen a photo from Vladimir Komarov’s open casket funeral at some point if you’ve been on the internet a while. If the name doesn’t ring a bell, he’s the poor bastard that went up on the Soyuz 1 knowing full well that it was a shoddily made death trap and allegedly requested an open casket funeral as a gently caress you to the engineers that killed him. On reentry his parachutes failed to deploy and he slammed into the ground at speed with predictable results.

The US had listening stations in Turkey at the time and were able to listen in and record him cursing and screaming at his superiors as he “plunged to his doom”. Here’s the hosed up part: if you want to hear a soon to be dead man air his grievances, you can purchase it for less than a dollar on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sojuz-Death-Komarov-During-Re-Entry/dp/B002SHRCYU/ref=nodl_?dplnkId=08cddb8c-0e2e-48b8-9b83-d2d1e97f1245

The track list on that album is a fukkin trip.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"You know, Comrade, you're being very anti-Soviet right now. Think of the useful data we'll get from the investigation and your autopsy! You should really focus on your imminent positive contributions to the State." :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3MlwW5UWc

Neat.
For a second there I didn't realize those were dummy munitions being loaded onto an a-10 thunderbolt in the middle of the highway. It was a very :stare: moment.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Neat.
For a second there I didn't realize those were dummy munitions being loaded onto an a-10 thunderbolt in the middle of the highway. It was a very :stare: moment.

My buddy lives down the road from that strip of M-28 and, as a fellow avgeek, he reported many scintillating things.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Neat.

The Airpower thread has had the discussion before about, 'why doesn't the US do like some European countries and have highways that can double a runways?" My hypothesis was that it was likely that the construction standards were good enough and there was no reason to be explicit. Nice to see that corroborated.

Also there are hundreds of thousands of airfields in the US so, yeah already hit target saturation limits.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have no idea if it's true or not, but when I was a child there was a SAC bomber base about an hour away and I was told the Interstate highway near it had a section that was perfectly straight for a few miles and poured twice as thick as a normal highway. Sure, why not?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The US is gigantic, mostly empty, and separated from anything that could be a threat by literal oceans which are patrolled by a navy that is as big as the rest of the world's navies combined. You couldn't make up a more secure place or a place that needed less defensive civil infrastructure

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

The US is gigantic, mostly empty, and separated from anything that could be a threat by literal oceans which are patrolled by a navy that is as big as the rest of the world's navies combined. You couldn't make up a more secure place or a place that needed less defensive civil infrastructure

But they want mah freedoms. We must defend them!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

But muh red dahwn

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The highway thing is cool but the last thing you need is a huge jet broken down in the middle of your main logistics pipeline.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

e: Sorry, wrong thread.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2022

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Varig Flight 254 analysis

https://imgur.com/a/3EpWI35

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I mean that seems hosed up and the world is bullshit atm but where is the AI

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

One of the officers at my MOS training got poo poo-canned because he made some privates come over and paint his house.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

loving headings, how do they work?

Reminds me of a story I heard in flight school of a frazzled nugget pilot off the coast of San Diego who couldn't find his way back to land after getting disoriented in one of the practice areas out over the ocean. He ended up flying in completely the wrong direction for a while before getting it sorted out and turning around, but his excuse was that he couldn't read his compass because he was blinded by the setting sun, which he was flying directly into.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I once had a student who'd been signed out solo, who, after loving several instructions up hard finally got told "do you see the mountains? fly towards the mountains I'll get back to you"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The response among the passengers was bipolar: some joined hands in a solemn prayer session, while others stormed the galley and wantonly distributed alcoholic beverages.

mood

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Good read

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Mayday episode made a much bigger deal of the soccer match, I wonder if it did play a role. Or fatigue.

Because mixing up 027 and 270, when you’re familiar with the geography, seems… weird.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

... his excuse was that he couldn't read his compass because he was blinded by the setting sun, which he was flying directly into.

:birdthunk::birdthunk::birdthunk:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

but his excuse was that he couldn't read his compass because he was blinded by the setting sun, which he was flying directly into.

As an amateur astronomer, I'm of the opinion that everyone, whether pilots or not, should be at least introduced to the habits of the Sun and the Moon. Maybe even the pole star, if there happens to be one in your usual hemisphere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

As an amateur astronomer, I'm of the opinion that everyone, whether pilots or not, should be at least introduced to the habits of the Sun and the Moon. Maybe even the pole star, if there happens to be one in your usual hemisphere.

:agreed:

Kids apparently all know the mnemonic for the planets and their order from the Sun, but no one ever taught them how the sky works.

It would kill the Flat Earth movement in its cradle, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1542952705727021056

I can think of 346 other reasons that an airline might choose A320neo over 737 max.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

Also Venus. Might save you a bunch of AA ammunition.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

I booked that Halifax flight I talked about earlier (fares dropped about 30% today) and avoided Toronto like the loving plague. I'm literally taking a flight with a 2+ hour layover in Ottawa to avoid even a short layover in YYZ because of the disaster that seems to have no end in sight there. Sounds like it's *mostly* international, but no thanks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-pearson-delays-airport-1.6484131

Jesus, almost a month later, Air Canada and Westjet cancelling 15% of flights, and it's still a poo poo-show

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/missing-luggage-has-become-flight-passengers-latest-headache-amid-flight-delays-1.5969794
https://twitter.com/happybug13/status/1541306171528822784?s=20&t=WKtQ5YXPGQqRUP5QnahGjg

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, this could've been interesting: https://onemileatatime.com/news/emirates-a380-hole-fuselage/

Especially since it sounds like it flew the majority of the way from Dubai to Brisbane with that loving hole in the fuselage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm guessing that isn't part of the pressure vessel since they'd never get the airplane to pressurize with a hole that big in it. It looks like an aerodynamic fairing that houses the landing gear?