Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sarcastro posted:

Not a chance, but I do believe it's very likely he's positioning himself in the event Biden doesn't run.

Absolutely, bunch of more establishment dems are positioning themselves in case Biden won’t/can’t run. And as much as JB has been a pleasant surprise, he’s not running if Biden is, that’s more Sanders territory. But I’d like my former big boi guv chance’s against a harris or secretary of transportation mayor pete or etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If Prtizker doesn’t run in 2 years, then I think he definitely does in 6. Glad he’s at least open that bipartisanship is over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dems just needed to realize it was happening 10 years ago. Maybe 20. The republicans have been effectively shoring up their defenses for at least that long and have drat near won.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

If Prtizker doesn’t run in 2 years, then I think he definitely does in 6. Glad he’s at least open that bipartisanship is over.

It's easy to be agressive when he was elected in a state with a democratic supermajority

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

It's easy to be agressive when he was elected in a state with a democratic supermajority

See thats the stupid way of thinking that Democrats have had for 30 years now. Are the Republicans not aggressive in Illinois despite having little chance? Of course not. Democrats even in safe supermajority states don't push and make bold moves at all. It is being passive and trying to not ruffle too many people's feathers.

Hell I would say you should have Illinois, California and New York pushing every big bold want. Give universal health care, start banning fossil fuels, start working on ways to combat income inequality and take money from the wealthy back. This is what the GOP have been doing in their states for years now and we see the fruits of it with Roe being taken away and a laundry list of other things. Democratic leadership has been ineffective at best for decades. You hold the three biggest pieces on the board it is time they start doing something with them.

Hell it is time for them to do something instead of telling you to vote and ask for more money.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

But if they give you what you want, then they cannot tell you to wait and give them more money in order to get it done.

I mean, how would a politician get elected if they actually did stuff?!?!?!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Djarum posted:

See thats the stupid way of thinking that Democrats have had for 30 years now. Are the Republicans not aggressive in Illinois despite having little chance? Of course not. Democrats even in safe supermajority states don't push and make bold moves at all. It is being passive and trying to not ruffle too many people's feathers.

Hell I would say you should have Illinois, California and New York pushing every big bold want. Give universal health care, start banning fossil fuels, start working on ways to combat income inequality and take money from the wealthy back. This is what the GOP have been doing in their states for years now and we see the fruits of it with Roe being taken away and a laundry list of other things. Democratic leadership has been ineffective at best for decades. You hold the three biggest pieces on the board it is time they start doing something with them.

Hell it is time for them to do something instead of telling you to vote and ask for more money.

I agree with your other points, but CA, NY and IL are 1, 4 and 6. Texas and Florida are 2 and 3, PA is 5 and they're purple. California is usually on the forefront of a lot of legislature. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly passed, but it looks like they're going for all new cars must be zero emissions by 2035, and possibly banning all fossil fuel extraction by 2045. Illinois is getting aggressive with abortion protections right now.

I wish anyone would take up the mantel of universal healthcare though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I agree with your other points, but CA, NY and IL are 1, 4 and 6. Texas and Florida are 2 and 3, PA is 5 and they're purple. California is usually on the forefront of a lot of legislature. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly passed, but it looks like they're going for all new cars must be zero emissions by 2035, and possibly banning all fossil fuel extraction by 2045. Illinois is getting aggressive with abortion protections right now.

I wish anyone would take up the mantel of universal healthcare though.

The problem with a state trying to take up that mantel is that you're going to get a HUGE influx of people with preexisting, expensive conditions moving into your state just to get your universal health care, and commerce clause says you can't keep them out, and if you change your citizenship requirements to be too onerous the feds will crack down on you.

Universal health care has to be UNIVERSAL for a reason.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just don't get why Americans can't recognize that a society where people don't go bankrupt from medical dept is good for everyone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lammasu posted:

I just don't get why Americans can't recognize that a society where people don't go bankrupt from medical dept is good for everyone.

Because billions of dollars are spent to keep them from that realization in the form of propaganda, bought and paid for politicians, and grift.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

The problem with a state trying to take up that mantel is that you're going to get a HUGE influx of people with preexisting, expensive conditions moving into your state just to get your universal health care, and commerce clause says you can't keep them out, and if you change your citizenship requirements to be too onerous the feds will crack down on you.

Universal health care has to be UNIVERSAL for a reason.

Yea, I could see that happening, but you could still put restrictions on the healthcare part if you were concerned about that. Like you have to be an IL citizen for at least 2 years to enroll. Having an influx of people is something Illinois doesn’t exactly have a problem with right now. If one person with a chronic illness moves here, but so does the rest of their family, it may not be that much of a negative.

If California did it, I don’t know how much of an influx they would get considering housing costs in that state.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Didn't Vermont spend a bunch of time looking into it a decade ago and found it just wasn't feasible at the state level?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Didn't Vermont spend a bunch of time looking into it a decade ago and found it just wasn't feasible at the state level?

Yeah, the state was too small and healthcare too costly for them to make it work.

Possibly a place as big as CA or TX could maybe pull it off but not without sacrificing golden calfs for tax revenue.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

VT was also letting private insurance stick around which caused problems with actually administrating it. It’s also probably a bad place to start since it’s one of the smallest states in the country.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well the most likely suspect would be California. It is the 5th largest economy in the world and a massive population. They can easily set prices for care and play hardball with the healthcare and pharma companies as they wouldn’t want to get locked out of that market. Even if you aren’t making silly money as before you are still missing out on a massive amount of money. Also once the one domino falls you will likely see many more follow, just like with weed. Anyone not wanting to play ball will get locked out and possibly for good which would basically the be the end for your company.

You have a CA, NY and IL move to go for Universal Healthcare you can likely get several smaller states to join in which they would likely work together on prices. You aren’t going to see anyone wanting to get locked out of a dozen or so states with most of the largest cities in the country.

Again though you would need elected officials wanting to push it which the Democratic Party isn’t going to do that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Going on that idea, what would be great is a confederation of states getting together to make one universal system. Instead of CA makes one, IL makes another one, and NY makes yet another one. The three of them get together and offer up universal care that covers all three states. Adds to the pool of people and would lower costs. I don't see it happening because it's probably an organizational nightmare to do, but would possibly be our best chance at success. Unfortunately, I think we definitely need CA to lead the way on any universal healthcare at the state level.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Meanwhile while the whole country flocks to those states with UHC the Senate will remain in GOP control with about 10% of the populace under their jurisdiction.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Going on that idea, what would be great is a confederation of states getting together to make one universal system. Instead of CA makes one, IL makes another one, and NY makes yet another one. The three of them get together and offer up universal care that covers all three states. Adds to the pool of people and would lower costs. I don't see it happening because it's probably an organizational nightmare to do, but would possibly be our best chance at success. Unfortunately, I think we definitely need CA to lead the way on any universal healthcare at the state level.

Yeah that's a possibility, could probably ask some of the big companies to consult on it as they're well-versed in navigating the various different health plans/care available in multiple states (those that offer it) and with remote work skyrocketing among the big tech companies its becoming more and more of an issue.

The insurance companies will declare out all, total war on any such move of course (see again, California who was raring to go with universal health care under a republican gov then it just... dissolved once they got the gov's mansion back). There is a ton of institutional pushback as people grow more and more fed up. It'll be interesting to see what happens when all the covid comorbidities start showing up en masse (we're already seeing worrying rise of strokes and heart attacks).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If three states participate then the Supreme Court and/or federal government can more easily something something interstate commerce something, no?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

If three states participate then the Supreme Court and/or federal government can more easily something something interstate commerce something, no?

They can try, but this Supreme Court will just say whatever they want regardless of current law because they are captured by utter ideologues.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The court killed the Dormant Commerce Clause, didn't they?

Not that they wouldn't bring it back if it benefitted rich white men

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Oh God loving drat it. Is there anything more harmless than Drag story time?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lammasu posted:

Oh God loving drat it. Is there anything more harmless than Drag story time?

They're afraid their kids will think it's okay to be gay.

quote:

library directors say they aim to offer programs featuring LGBTQ people so that anyone from the community who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer sees themselves represented at their library.

But it's mostly

quote:

The rhetoric moved into the mainstream when it was used by some conservative politicians and commentators in an attempt to mobilize voters.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Republicans are bringing out the old trope that homosexuals are a bunch or pedophiles out to make all your kids gay too. I would think this line doesn’t work anymore, but I think it definitely has sway in Republican country because it’s full of idiots.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Republicans are bringing out the old trope that homosexuals are a bunch or pedophiles out to make all your kids gay too. I would think this line doesn’t work anymore, but I think it definitely has sway in Republican country because it’s full of idiots.

I think I'll lobby my local library to ban all evangelical literature to protect kids from grooming, since I have a lot more evidence that its happening than they do of LGBT people doing so.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Everything works on Republicans. They're the dumbest people on earth.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Oracle posted:

I think I'll lobby my local library to ban all evangelical literature to protect kids from grooming, since I have a lot more evidence that its happening than they do of LGBT people doing so.

Don't forget about anything from the catholic church also.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

There was a shooting at a Highland Park 4th of July parade. Gunman was on the roof of a business and fired into the crowd. Gunman still at large.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

There was a shooting at a Highland Park 4th of July parade. Gunman was on the roof of a business and fired into the crowd. Gunman still at large.

So many idiots have commented saying “that’s Chicago for ya!” Blissfully unaware that it’s 25 miles from Chicago and only 30 miles from Wisconsin.

Reports say 5 dead and 16 wounded.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My brother and his girlfriend was at it. Everyone is really shaken up. They thought it was fireworks and are still waiting in a store.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus. Wonder who they were gunning for.

(We know who they were gunning for, don’t we).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Rich white people? That’s what highland park is mostly made of.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Highland Park has gotten much more diverse in the last few years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The 2020 census still has it as 90% white though. 75% have a bachelors degree and the median household income is nearly $150k.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
From these posts I have determined the shooter was targeting wealthy, white gays

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An antisemitic attack would be my guess, but I'm no authority.

edit - ugh:

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1544019090737610759?s=21&t=1UOfwPAH-rQcUQIu2xNj2g

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Bailey coming in strong with the “let’s pray and move on to getting rid of corrupt politicians” and “this is an example of rampant crime”

PS “pray for the cops “

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Wonderful. Anyone know what kind of thank-you card JB has sent his team yet?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The 2020 census still has it as 90% white though. 75% have a bachelors degree and the median household income is nearly $150k.

Yeah Highland Park is beaucoup bux. It’s also solid blue and 30% Jewish.

quote:

Authorities described the gunman as a white man between the ages of 18 and 20 with long black hair and a small build, wearing a blue or white T-shirt.

A rifle was recovered from the scene of a shooting, police said during a news conference Monday afternoon, but the shooter is presumed to be armed and dangerous. Anyone with information on the shooter is asked to contact the FBI tip line online or call 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I live less than a mile from where this happened, but I was on my way to work so I didn't know anything until I saw police and rescue vehicles from at least 4 towns and Lake County heading towards Highland Park. Early reports say that the suspect is a young skinny white male between 18-20 years old.

The parade draws folks from neighboring Highwood, which has a sizable Hispanic population, in addition to the large Jewish population of Highland Park. This has to be a pre-planned terrorist act.