Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

NikkolasKing posted:

Did the Carthaginians do human sacrifices? Is there any sort of consensus or proof on this? Was in a discord where it was randomly brought up with somebody claiming that there's a sort of woke narrative about how conquered people did nothing wrong and they, like the Aztecs, absolutely did sacrifice people.

Despite their claims, I've never heard anyone say the Aztecs didn't do human sacrifices, but in the random tidbits I've read/heard over the years it was more questionable about Carthage due to ancient sources being untrustworthy.

Not strictly susceptible of proof that they sacrificed kids, but they certainly did have cemeteries full of infant human and animal remains and votive inscriptions. And also Greco-Roman and biblical sources both throw shade at Phoenicians for their child-sacrificing ways.

https://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/197736/3/epigraphy_topet.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my understanding is that it's close to indisputable that carthage used dead infants in rituals; the question is whether they were alive when the ritual started or if the ritual was a way to honor infants who died naturally.

Even if it was infanticide, infanticide is fairly common in premodern cultures and was even legal in Rome, though the way the laws were written suggested a certain amount of distaste for it; the pater familias had to convince all of his neighbors that it was a good idea first for it to be legal. I don't know how you'd go about measuring whether Carthage had more infanticide than normal for an ancient society. It could be that unwanted children who might have died of exposure somewhere else died in a ritual chamber instead and the overall rates are the same.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cheetah7071 posted:

the pater familias had to convince all of his neighbors that it was a good idea first for it to be legal.

Imagine that poo poo on Nextdoor

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The archaeological evidence that they did child sacrifice is pretty strong at this point, nearly as strong as it can get without finding Carthaginian literature about it.

Maybe I'm broken but I'm just not very scandalized. Power over life and death is an important part of judicial legitimacy and human sacrifice is a common way of building that. Sucks but common.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In my ancient near eastern religion class there was an author we read who argued there was no evidence for human sacrifics in the ancient near east, and seemed oddly focused on how 'interesting' it was that the Jews had committed blood libel in their holy texts only to have it happen to them later.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the stories in the bible about human sacrifice came from somewhere and carthaginian culture is, ultimately, a canaanite culture. it may be that these stories mainly come from their enemies, but when there are two fairly substantial sets of accounts for this practice concerning related cultures across like a thousand years there is probably something to it, even if it was ultimately an uncommon practice

of course, the weird thing is that the greek sources discussing the time periods between the early biblical accounts and the punic wars don't seem to indicate that the phoenician religion was anything unusual or offputting as far as i know

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Trust me your parents all had that moment when they considered it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jazerus posted:

the stories in the bible about human sacrifice came from somewhere and carthaginian culture is, ultimately, a canaanite culture. it may be that these stories mainly come from their enemies, but when there are two fairly substantial sets of accounts for this practice concerning related cultures across like a thousand years there is probably something to it, even if it was ultimately an uncommon practice

of course, the weird thing is that the greek sources discussing the time periods between the early biblical accounts and the punic wars don't seem to indicate that the phoenician religion was anything unusual or offputting as far as i know

At one point I was marooned for a month in a relative's house with no internet and she had a copy of the complete, unedited, 12-volume 1915 edition Golden Bough and I read all of it.

He goes through all sorts of different mediterranean child-sacrifice customs for hundreds and hundreds of pages. It's basically impossible to read it and not end up thinking "oh, ok, yeah, so they're all sacrificing firstborn children and sacrificing kings and the Christ myth comes along and just slots right into all that."

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 2, 2022

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Human sacrifice, and especially child sacrifice, also neatly slots into the ancient understanding of how sacrifices worked. In general, ancient religions believed that the more valuable the thing being sacrificed, the more powerful the sacrifice was. A bull was more valuable than a chicken, so sacrificing a bull was better than sacrificing a chicken. What's more valuable than a bull? Well...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CrypticFox posted:

Human sacrifice, and especially child sacrifice, also neatly slots into the ancient understanding of how sacrifices worked. In general, ancient religions believed that the more valuable the thing being sacrificed, the more powerful the sacrifice was. A bull was more valuable than a chicken, so sacrificing a bull was better than sacrificing a chicken. What's more valuable than a bull? Well...

Yup. Which is why even the Romans, who were adamantly against human sacrifice (and I don't think they were lying about that), did it occasionally when events were dire enough.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I tend to read the Isaac story as an element of schismogenesis, which only works if child sacrifice is an existing practice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Did the Carthaginians do human sacrifices? Is there any sort of consensus or proof on this? Was in a discord where it was randomly brought up with somebody claiming that there's a sort of woke narrative about how conquered people did nothing wrong and they, like the Aztecs, absolutely did sacrifice people.

Despite their claims, I've never heard anyone say the Aztecs didn't do human sacrifices, but in the random tidbits I've read/heard over the years it was more questionable about Carthage due to ancient sources being untrustworthy.

In the case of Carthage, it's not about "wokeness", it's about Tunisian nationalism. I remember a fascinating article on this that I can't be bothered to find right now, but basically, the Ben Ali regime put the legacy of Carthage at the core of official Tunisian national identity, and they promoted Carthage-related archaeological research so long as it presented Carthage in a good light, but scholars who were vocal about believing that, for example, the Carthaginians sacrificed a lot of kids probably wouldn't get approval to dig.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I wonder if maybe we had more sources directly sympathetic to the Carthaginians, Aztecs, or Incans, they might've had their own excuses rationalizing their sacrifices as something else. I heard that Gaul druids also had a whole thing with human sacrifice that Rome had to stamp down on, but I don't know any details about it.

I guess there's probably also a big difference between sacrificing your own and sacrificing slaves or captured enemies.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I wonder if maybe we had more sources directly sympathetic to the Carthaginians, Aztecs, or Incans, they might've had their own excuses rationalizing their sacrifices as something else. I heard that Gaul druids also had a whole thing with human sacrifice that Rome had to stamp down on, but I don't know any details about it.

I guess there's probably also a big difference between sacrificing your own and sacrificing slaves or captured enemies.

Yeah, druids did some human sacrifice too (though mainly of adults, IIRC). There's some legitimate scholarly dispute about the scale of it, though; obviously there are nationalist motives at work here too (primarily on the part of British and French scholars themselves rather than government pressure), but there's also legitimate reasons for skepticism about Caesar's rather sensational account of the wicker man ritual.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To me it all seems a little idk .. BS to talk about the relative practices of ritual sacrifice when these cultures in other contexts put a quite low price tag on human life

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mystery of the Druids is probably the best singular source on druidic human sacrifice.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

I tend to read the Isaac story as an element of schismogenesis, which only works if child sacrifice is an existing practice.

yes, me too. rejecting the myth of abraham sacrificing isaac (originally, to baal ha'dad) and rewriting it to have the opposite moral has always seemed to me like a possible point for the hebrews to have decided that no, we are not canaanite, thanks. we may be a bunch of hill bandits but at least we don't do that poo poo. this potentially even predates yahweh's entrance into the pantheon, given the sheer age of the patriarch stories, or corresponds to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

In the case of Carthage, it's not about "wokeness", it's about Tunisian nationalism. I remember a fascinating article on this that I can't be bothered to find right now, but basically, the Ben Ali regime put the legacy of Carthage at the core of official Tunisian national identity, and they promoted Carthage-related archaeological research so long as it presented Carthage in a good light, but scholars who were vocal about believing that, for example, the Carthaginians sacrificed a lot of kids probably wouldn't get approval to dig.

picking people who are mainly notable for losing wars as your national heroes is a tradition I don't get

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015
Some currency bits from the Han dynasty to go with the earlier coinage talk:

quote:

初,秦用半兩錢,高祖嫌其重,難用,更鑄莢錢。於是物價騰踊,米至石萬錢。夏,四月,更造四銖錢;除盜鑄錢令,使民得自鑄。

Originally, the realm had been using the half-tael currency created by the Qin dynasty. Emperor Gao had disliked this currency because of its weight and had felt it was hard to use, so during his reign he had cast the lighter “elm seed” currency to use instead. However, the price of goods had risen so rapidly that a bushel of rice had eventually cost as much as ten thousand cash.

In the fifth year of Emperor Wen's reign (175 BC), in summer, the fourth month, Emperor Wen produced a standard for the casting of a new four-zhu currency to use. He even abolished the prohibition against counterfeiting, permitting the common people to cast the coins themselves.

賈誼諫曰︰「法使天下公得雇租鑄銅、錫爲錢,敢雜以鉛、鐵爲他巧者,其罪黥。然鑄錢之情,非殽雜爲巧,則不可得贏;而殽之甚微,爲利甚厚。夫事有召禍而法有起姦;今令細民人操造幣之勢,各隱屛而鑄作,因欲禁其厚利微姦,雖黥罪日報,其勢不止。乃者,民人抵罪多者一縣百數,及吏之所疑搒笞奔走者甚衆。夫縣法以誘民使入陷阱,孰多於此!又民用錢,郡縣不同︰或用輕錢,百加若干;或用重錢,平稱不受。法錢不立︰吏急而壹之乎?則大爲煩苛而力不能勝;縱而弗呵乎?則市肆異用,錢文大亂;苟非其術,何鄕而可哉!今農事棄捐而采銅者日蕃,釋其耒耨,冶鎔炊炭;姦錢日多,五穀不爲多。善人怵而爲姦邪,愿民陷而之刑戮;刑戮將甚不詳,柰何而忽!國知患此,吏議必曰『禁之』。禁之不得其術,其傷必大。令禁鑄錢,則錢必重;重則其利深,盜鑄如雲而起,棄市之罪又不足以禁矣。姦數不勝而法禁數潰,銅使之然也。銅布於天下,其爲禍博矣,故不如收之。」賈山亦上書諫,以爲︰「錢者,亡用器也,而可以易富貴。富貴者,人主之操柄也;令民爲之,是與人主共操柄,不可長也。」上不聽。

Jia Yi criticized this new policy. He said, “The state already had a program of hiring out workers to cast coins from copper and tin, warning them that anyone who dared to cheat the government by mixing in lead or iron would be punished by having their face tattooed to mark them as a criminal, yet because the nature of casting coins means that not diluting the coins with other materials results in no profit while debasing them by even the slightest amount brings great returns, even doing this much meant that the law was already enticing the people to do wrong and producing terrible outcomes. Yet now you are letting just anyone among the people create currency as they like, each of them casting away while shielded from sight? Trying to prevent the people from engaging in villainy under such circumstances, when the chance of profit to be had is so generous and the likelihood of detection is so slim, will be impossible though we tattoo someone's face every single day. And even if we did attempt to do so, it would mean that upwards of hundreds of people per county would be convicted by the law and an even greater number would run away for fear of being suspected by the officials and subjected to the rod and the whip. As a matter of tricking people to stumble into the pit, what government policy could possibly be worse than this?

"Beyond that, if the people are allowed to cast currency themselves, there will be no common coinage used across all the counties and commanderies of the realm; some places will have coins so light that more than a hundred extra of them will be required to meet the weight standards, while others will have coins so heavy that it will be impractical to make change for them. Under such circumstances, it will be impossible to maintain a monetary policy. Are the officials to strive to enforce a uniform standard? That will only result in a great deal of trouble and effort without being able to fix the problem. Should they then say nothing and let things be? Then markets will be entirely arbitrary in what they accept and the nominal value of the currency will be thrown into total confusion. Why then, if we have no method to control this situation, should we permit it to come about?

“Already, every day more and more people are neglecting or abandoning their farm work while hunting for copper, tossing aside their plows and hoes and tending to their smelting fires instead; perverse currency swells by the day, while the supply of the Five Grains dwindles just as rapidly. Good people will be tempted to evil, and honest folk will run foul of the law and be subjected to punishments and executions; when so many of these verdicts will be summary judgments, how can we fail to consider the prospect?

“When the state recognizes this evil, there will surely be those officials whose solution is simply to say, ‘ban the private casting of currency’. But to simply ban the practice would be insufficient to address the problem, and great harm would still ensue. If private casting is banned, then the coins which are produced will be heavy, and as the heaviness of the coins will increase the prospect of gain, counterfeiters will still rise like clouds in such numbers that threatening them with public execution would still not be able to put a halt to them. What really facilitates the implacable villainy of the people and the repeated powerlessness of the laws is the availability of copper, and as copper is widespread across the realm, the disaster resulting from it is just as broad. Thus the best thing to do would be public confiscation of all copper.”

Jia Shan also submitted a letter of remonstration, stating, "Currency is useless in itself, yet it can be exchanged for wealth and status; as these are the ruler's handles of power, letting the people do this would let them grasp the same handles as the ruler. It would not be sustainable."

But Emperor Wen did not listen to their objections.

是時,太中大夫鄧通方寵幸,上欲其富,賜之蜀嚴道銅山,使鑄錢。吳王濞有豫章銅山,招致天下亡命者以鑄錢;東煑海水爲鹽;以故無賦而國用饒足。於是吳、鄧錢布天下。

By this time, there was a certain Grand Household Counselor who enjoyed Emperor Wen's favor and attention, Deng Tong. Emperor Wen wanted to enrich Deng Tong, thus he granted him a copper mine at Yandao in Shu commandery so that he could cast currency.

The Prince of Wu, Liu Bi, also possessed a copper mine at Yuzhang commandery. He attracted fugitives from across the realm to come to his domain in order to cast currency, and in the east he boiled seawater to produce salt. Thus he was able to dispense with imposing taxes on his people, and his domain enjoyed wealth and plenty.

Because of these things, the currency minted by Deng Tong and by Liu Bi spread across the realm.

Taishi Ci fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 2, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not about choosing big tough guys to show how big and tough your ancestry is, it's about choosing a historical people who are more widely known to help building your national myth and defining your place in international culture.

But then if they're only known for something dumb, that can play into the creation of a national myth as well, because the process of relitigating and reinterpreting their place in history gives plenty of opportunities to develop the story and also build up a weird thing of bonding over hating foreigners who don't respect your new national mythmaking.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Even the Spanish, who were not particularly friendly to Aztec religion, were pretty clear that the Aztec did it because they believed regular human sacrifices kept the world from ending.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Taishi Ci posted:

Some currency bits from the Han dynasty to go with the earlier coinage talk:

hell yea, absolutely one of my top 10 favorite stories in chinese history, absolutely insane

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

IIRC the Romans did like parading and ceremonially executing the captured/surrendered kings of enemies and conquered peoples, which doesn't really sound too different from human sacrifice.

euphronius posted:

To me it all seems a little idk .. BS to talk about the relative practices of ritual sacrifice when these cultures in other contexts put a quite low price tag on human life

Fair enough, but sacrifice does still have a very different context from death by neglect or at least seen as justified as punishment, conquest or exercise of authority. It's killing a helpless victim in premediated and officially sanctioned fashion with the idea that it is the correct and literally sacred thing to do, especially in the case of child sacrifice where the innocence and value of the victim is the point.

I imagine it doesn't even need to be a frequent, widespread or even long-lived practice to quickly become notorious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Aztecs had it right by sacrificing warriors. Children are useless and easy to make more. A good warrior? Now that takes time and talent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Romans did like parading and ceremonially executing the captured/surrendered kings of enemies and conquered peoples, which doesn't really sound too different from human sacrifice.

I mean gladiatorial games (which were dedicated to religious figures / concept) and other forms of killing in circuses seem to me like human sacrifice even if the Romans wouldn't call it that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Aztecs had it right by sacrificing warriors. Children are useless and easy to make more. A good warrior? Now that takes time and talent.

The aztecs did sacrifice children though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/brandenburghist/status/1543070404759126016?s=21&t=4nIn3TVoVwLICchvwftegA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd much rather spend a year living like a king, get high out of my mind, and then get human sacrificed by the Tawanintsuyu than get worked to death in a roman mine as my entire culture is genocided. Putting yourself in the mindset of someone who actually has to live near these cultures, being good at war doesn't seem so much like the be-all end-all. We've got the cosmopolitan boat guys who buy our wares, and the assimilationist terminator horde out of Latium that will stab me and enslave my wife and kids. I'm sticking with Carthage.

The main difference between Julius Caesar and Hitler was that Caesar's enemies didn't think the genocide part was anything bad. And also Caesar could write coherent sentences in his book.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 2, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, capital punishment. The British were executing far more people in 1400 AD than the Aztecs were.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, capital punishment. The British were executing far more people in 1400 AD than the Aztecs were.

Wait, capital punishment isn't human sacrifice because.... uhh... uh... hmm.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aztecs - if we don't execute these prisoners the gods will cause society to collapse

English - if we don't execute these prisoners as a criminal deterrant God will cause society to collapse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Magnetic North posted:

Wait, capital punishment isn't human sacrifice because.... uhh... uh... hmm.

Yeah this was one of those penny-drop insights for me.

I mean, look at our current legal system. We have to keep literal millions of people locked in cages for decades or else . . . . drugs will win the drug war?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I mean, look at our current legal system. We have to keep literal millions of people locked in cages for decades or else . . . . drugs will win the drug war?

That's slavery and profiteering from people trade, not human sacrifice

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

steinrokkan posted:

That's slavery and profiteering from people trade, not human sacrifice

I mean, yes, but if you've ever heard a judge or prosecutor talk about how they have to "protect the public" and "pursue Justice"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

that seems to be from the perspective that "the aztecs didn't actually believe their gods were real"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd much rather spend a year living like a king, get high out of my mind, and then get human sacrificed by the Tawanintsuyu than get worked to death in a roman mine as my entire culture is genocided. Putting yourself in the mindset of someone who actually has to live near these cultures, being good at war doesn't seem so much like the be-all end-all. We've got the cosmopolitan boat guys who buy our wares, and the assimilationist terminator horde out of Latium that will stab me and enslave my wife and kids. I'm sticking with Carthage.

The main difference between Julius Caesar and Hitler was that Caesar's enemies didn't think the genocide part was anything bad. And also Caesar could write coherent sentences in his book.

No, having a relatively competent military doesn’t necessarily improve quality of life for the average Tupac, Dick, or Hanno, but they still were probably pretty pissed off when the Romans came across the pond and killed/enslaved the lot of them. It’s not that anyone really loves having a bunch of soldiers around, it’s that you’d rather the soldiers who are around aren’t there to kill you. Roman militarism doesn’t arise from them just deciding to be Hitler one day, it’s an extreme end of an Iron Age Italian cultural complex where rape and pillage of the guys next door was just kind of what everyone did with their leftover men in the summer, and if it wasn’t you doing it to them they certainly would do it to you, vae victis. Carthage was a colonial state where a handful of citizens and subjugated allies lived large off enserfed/conscripted native labor. Farther afield the Inca were militarily aggressive imperialists to a degree literally unprecedented on their continent as far as we know and most of their male subjects spent the majority of their adult lives performing corvee labor, while the ones who got sacrificed while high out their minds were mostly state-owned teenage girls. It’s bastards all the way down.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Because the only safe place for an abusive personality is in a cage, or dead? The problem isn't prison, it is the colossal waste of time going after 'glamorous' drug arrests and the failure to aggressively pursue the crimes that actually ruin real peoples' lives.

E: ie, crimes of abuse. Most of which I expect aren't even illegal in many places.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 2, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Strategic Tea posted:

Because the only safe place for an abusive personality is in a cage, or dead? The problem isn't prison, it is the colossal waste of time going after 'glamorous' drug arrests and the failure to aggressively pursue the crimes that actually ruin real peoples' lives.

E: ie, crimes of abuse. Most of which I expect aren't even illegal in many places.

Eh, I don't want to perpetuate the derail too much, but most crimes aren't committed by people with "abusive personalities" however you define that; they're committed by dumb people doing stupid poo poo, often while drunk or high or experiencing a personal crisis.

Cops don't go after "Big fish" too much at all; they're too much trouble; most of the arrests are low level offenders; most arrests come out of traffic stops. 95% of all defendants end up represented by public defenders. It's a lot easier to get a conviction for a low level user. The average drug conviction is "pulled over for speeding, cop says "i smell weed!", searches car, finds [x]." Just replacing traffic cops with speed cameras nationwide would dramatically reduce incarceration.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 2, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Regardless of how you feel about either capital punishment or criminal incarceration in the modern US, I don't think it can be compared to ritual religious human sacrifice (although there may have been ritual human sacrifice of criminals in past societies). While the supporters of capital punishment may believe it's part of either human or cosmic justice, it's not sacralized. The state isn't saying "We gave this person a lethal injection last night, and now God is pleased.",

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They don’t say god - they say justice and the victim’s family. The portion of the death attributed to the abstract concept of justice is virtually identical to what you describe.

The victim’s family portion is a sacrifice to appease them via retribution. Not exactly a sacrifice to please a diety or abstract concept, but absolutely done to please people.

So, I could very easily consider capital punishment here to be a type of ritual sacrifice even though it isn’t always done explicitly to make some divinity happy.

I’m also pretty sure we can find plenty of preachers in the south talking about executions saying that the lord is happy they carried out his vengeance.