Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

*Me, wondering why the bad guys never win in movies and TV*

Oh, right, they get to do that in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

Is this an oblique way of coming out to the TFF thread because I'm glad you find this is a safe space, Blind.

I was just trying to tell the thread about an experience I had that unlocked something I had buried deep down inside me because I thought I would never be accepted if I admitted it to myself or others. Jeeze.

Gots me a craving for pasta. I'm thinkin of making a smallish garlic pizza for the side but can't decide if I want to fresh make pesto or carbonara. Pine nuts cost but fresh pesto is so good. But guancale is so good. This is quite the bind.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Should I feel good about an interview when the person interviewing me talks about themselves and the job the whole time and doesn't ask anything about me being qualified to do it?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If they're sliding their foot up the inside of your trouser leg that's probably good sign I think.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Such a bleak bummer, anyway, I love this video and this lady

https://twitter.com/anicacihla/status/1542695050500612096

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Should I feel good about an interview when the person interviewing me talks about themselves and the job the whole time and doesn't ask anything about me being qualified to do it?

Hells yeah. In my experience when they're talking about the job and themselves they're trying to sell you on accepting as much as anything.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BigPaddy posted:

It would be great if the student loan debt my wife has for degrees she can’t use due to chronic illness that has her as registered disabled would be discharged but some miracle might happen and suddenly she won’t be confined to a wheelchair.

If she’s on disability, PM me. This absolutely should be discharged

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Meant to say before I saw that, today I’ve officially been out of the Army for 15 years. 3x as long as I was ever in. The percentage of it I miss somehow keeps shrinking

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Yeah, they're selling you on the role. I def have diff approaches when I'm on calls with candidates and that's a sell for sure.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GD_American posted:

Meant to say before I saw that, today I’ve officially been out of the Army for 15 years. 3x as long as I was ever in. The percentage of it I miss somehow keeps shrinking

I don't miss it at all. My friends who are still in are all broken and getting more divorces.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Got serious vacation brain today since I'm on vacation next week.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Today was my day off so I stopped working on like Wednesday.

Found out today my corneas are too thin for lasik though :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Such a bleak bummer, anyway, I love this video and this lady

https://twitter.com/anicacihla/status/1542695050500612096

Man I wish my physics classes were as cool as this. Instead it was just people reading off math formulas.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

seiferguy posted:

Man I wish my physics classes were as cool as this. Instead it was just people reading off math formulas.

My high school physics teacher was famous for his demonstrations. That was such a good class, and I know at least one person went into physics in college because they enjoyed it so much.

Also he was the runner-up to be on the Challenger mission, but they chose someone who wasn't a science teacher for PR purposes. He would have watched it irl, but the launch was delayed until a Monday and he had to teach.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't miss it at all. My friends who are still in are all broken and getting more divorces.

Oh yeah staying in was a no-go. I'd have been on at least my fifth deployment, and at least my second marriage.

I follow WTFArmy (even though some of the admins are problematic assholes), a Twitter account that basically posts units being complete assholes (and occasionally Joes being complete morons), and I realized I had hit 15 years when I saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1542929774963699712

and thought "wait that's a holiday, they can't make them work on the actual holiday", and realizing I finally had switched entirely back to civilian brain.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Ah my out of office message is on, my drinks have been bought, my next Gundam series to watch has been chosen. I'm set for my vacation.

Except I played myself by forgetting my work laptop in the office so I had to come in today when normally I work from home on Fridays.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Minnesota accidentally legalized the sale of 5mg THC edibles today, which is very funny and so dumb. State government is Democrat Governor and House, Republican Senate (+1, I think). Apparently the way it was worded the Republicans thought it wasn't going as far as it did, and want it rolled back effectively because they didn't read/understand what they were approving.

They also didn't put anything in there about taxing or regulating who can sell it, so just a real backwards way to accidentally allow what has already been referred to as 3.2 weed (in reference to the fact 3.2% beer is the only thing you're allowed to sell outside of liquor stores).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

I see Ornery & Hornery post occasionally in the GWS Vegan Food Thread and I demand pictures of Spider-Manthe latest thing they made.

https://imgur.com/a/qeRCQza

Mediterranean pasta salad babey!

Forgot the cucumbers when I initially made it earlier this week. Huge oopsie. Cucumber brings the whole thing together.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1542968908046635009

Biden actually recognizes that republican legislatures and judges are actively trying to usurp federal authority over interstate travel and commerce, and yet he's still working with Mitch McConnell to appoint a far-right anti-abortion christofascist judge who was too extreme for Trump. What does that tell you?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/juleneely/status/1542970922994384899

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jaadee posted:

Any of the medical professionals in here have a few minutes to discuss a substance abuse situation? I've got a loved one undergoing inpatient detox and with the level of care being offered (and the cost) it seems like the far better choice was to simply go to urgent care for a couple hours, get fluids and IV drugs pushed, and walk out with a couple short-term oral meds.

If anyone with pertinent experience is willing to chat, can you PM me?

Not a medical professional, but I went into inpatient detox and rehab in 2009, so I've been in that hole before. Feel free to message me, I'll always listen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Another bitcoin exchange blew up, and this is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/investvoyager/status/1326938475774451712

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1543047427434975233

https://old.reddit.com/r/Invest_Voyager/ if you want to find a bunch of people screaming for the wallet inspector.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Another bitcoin exchange blew up, and this is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/investvoyager/status/1326938475774451712

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1543047427434975233

https://old.reddit.com/r/Invest_Voyager/ if you want to find a bunch of people screaming for the wallet inspector.

That’s some content. Subreddit is on fire.

There seems to be a subplot of some of these threads where first redditor goes “did I really lose all my money/savings/portfolio” and then a second resistor goes “it’s important to diversify your portfolio”.

Yes perhaps diversify into things that are not crypto???

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Local soccer team's regular season is over tomorrow and they're selling off their jersies dirt cheap.

Hmm, why would people not be sporting these around Mobile, Alabama

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lol I'm trying to explain minor leagues to my partner and now her idea is to have the team that wins the most games in the XFL play the team that wins the least games in the NFL and whoever comes out on top can play the regular NFL season.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Lol I'm trying to explain minor leagues to my partner and now her idea is to have the team that wins the most games in the XFL play the team that wins the least games in the NFL and whoever comes out on top can play the regular NFL season.

That's sorta how it works in European soccer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Relegation seems like a fun idea from the outside at least (I'm sure there are problems I'm unaware of), but one that can never happen in any American sport that wasn't built from the ground up with the idea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I read some more earlier and the biden/turtle deal is because the judge wants to shift to senior status but will only do so if she gets to pick her replacement. Biden agreed to nominate the guy if McConnell agrees to not hold the blue slip for the two AUSA spots in KY Biden is also trying to fill. If Biden said no, the bush appointed 66 year old conservative judge would just stay on the bench.

I don’t think making this kind of deal is productive, but I’m not as pissed at it in that context.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey dudes what attire is semi formal. It's for a wedding and I did a google but there's everything from suits to just blokes in jeans and a button down.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Semi formal to me is slacks/dress pants and a button down shirt. I’m 50/50 on a tie.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There seems to be a subplot of some of these threads where first redditor goes “did I really lose all my money/savings/portfolio” and then a second resistor goes “it’s important to diversify your portfolio”.

It's important to eat healthy food, not just hemlock.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

Not a medical professional, but I went into inpatient detox and rehab in 2009, so I've been in that hole before. Feel free to message me, I'll always listen.

I missed this before, but PM me, will give you my phone number. Timby has it and has my permission to give it to you. I am in the middle of moving across the country though so may not be the most available but I will get back to you.

Lastly, here's your comedy bit of the day
https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/1543052301014900738?t=K1T4AJzF0Lbw-VqpRvWk-A&s=19

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

BlindSite posted:

Hey dudes what attire is semi formal. It's for a wedding and I did a google but there's everything from suits to just blokes in jeans and a button down.

Sport coat and slacks is a safe bet. I’d lean to wearing a tie as well. Don’t do a suit, don’t do jeans. The venue itself might be a clue. If it’s a country club or church, then absolutely tie and sport coat. Outdoor park or beach? No tie, maybe lose the jacket too.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grittybeard posted:

Relegation seems like a fun idea from the outside at least (I'm sure there are problems I'm unaware of), but one that can never happen in any American sport that wasn't built from the ground up with the idea.

Yeah, no owner is going to willing agree to rewrite the rules of their league to send their team to a minor league if they suck enough.

Like you said, there's probably issues I'm not aware of, but as a fan, it sounds like it would encourage shittier teams to actually try to improve if they want to be in the majors next season

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea unfortunately none of the US leagues could even implement promotion/relegation without essentially dismantling the whole system and rebuilding it. European soccer leagues I think we’re all started with local clubs and not started by wealthy owners who want tight control over the league.

Maybe the NCAA could implement it at the college level to some extent, but college sports are set up in the most Byzantine way possible and would require dozens of conferences to agree on a setup.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just got up and went to the back door and there was the tiniest cutest little roving band of kittens hanging out on my deck, my kitties were very interested. There was at least two orange tabbys, a regular ol domestic shorthair and a super pretty calico all being pals :kiddo:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea unfortunately none of the US leagues could even implement promotion/relegation without essentially dismantling the whole system and rebuilding it. European soccer leagues I think we’re all started with local clubs and not started by wealthy owners who want tight control over the league.

Maybe the NCAA could implement it at the college level to some extent, but college sports are set up in the most Byzantine way possible and would require dozens of conferences to agree on a setup.

My pet theory is that MLS might need to once it balloons close to 40 teams.

But yeah, beyond some European leagues doing promotion and relegation (where the bottom 2 or 3 teams go down and the top 2 or 3 go up the next season), there are a couple that do a play-off between say 18th place in the top league (third from bottom) and third in the lower league for right to be in the top league the next season. I think the Bundesliga still does that in Germany.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

English leagues do the top 2 and bottom swap and there is a play off for the 3rd. It add more games and some drama but it is mostly the same few teams just rotating between leagues and maybe once in a while a team with a new owner and a cash injection might go in a good run. Obviously there is the leicester city winning the premier league thing but for a long time they were a mid table to relegation candidate team. It is much more competitive now compared to when I was a child and it was Man U winning every year for the best part of two decades.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don’t think it’s hyperbolic that if desantis becomes president and has a favorable congress we will be a breathe away from marking LGBTQ folks with patches or putting them camps.

What the actual gently caress here

https://twitter.com/benjaminjs/status/1542568527990624256?s=21&t=KqgNEI3biShYc3DlEf1hGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

BlindSite posted:

By definition informal/semi-formal would be tuxedo/black tie. Most people mean a button down with a blazer though.