Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake IV is of the class of games (Chorus is a recent entry) where the game improves mechanically at a fundamental level with story progression but doesn't indicate its going to happen so people drop out before it kicks in.

Also Quake IV isn't like, amazing after that point either its just better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
🤔

https://twitter.com/quakecomposer/status/1542567262338527232

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

whew lad

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Wowie zowie. Are we getting the Night Dive remaster already? A vinyl release? Both?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh gently caress YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBKFB28E0M

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whatever it is I'm all in

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Wowie zowie. Are we getting the Night Dive remaster already? A vinyl release? Both?

Vinyl release:

My neighbours are going to wake up to the sound of "Crashed Up Again" and they are going to like it.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Sonicmayhem accepts Bethesda's shaft

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

:emptyquote:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Seems like something the Hamburglar would do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seems like something the Hamburglar would do.

Now I want an edit of the Doom guy hud with the hamburger costume on.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ponzicar posted:

That's the only part of the game that anyone ever talks about. Is the rest of the game good? I remember it looking rather generic at the time.

It's one of those games of the 2006-2010 era where devs were trying to figure out how to get the best experience out of making a console shooter and while it didn't set the world on fire, it's one of those games like Singularity or Timeshift that's kind of fun to go back and play today.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it’s one of those games that gets much better about an hour or so into it.
played a bit of that DOOM RPG port, it’s great stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
McDonald's Quest when

e: Q4 was a decent shooter for the few hours it took but i haven't played it in a while to see if it holds up

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I played Q4 pretty recently and it’s very okay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I liked Q4 at the time, more than Doom 3, which really felt constrained and slow compared to Far Cry and Half Life 2.

I haven't played it in ages, and had a physical copy that's long gone now so I don't even have it anymore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The quake series would of been so much better if they had just stuck with very limited quake 1 story line.

Like seriously the strogg stuff was all so baffling lame and stupid.

All the quakes multiplayer was obviously just great though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dr_rat posted:

The quake series would of been so much better if they had just stuck with very limited quake 1 story line.

Like seriously the strogg stuff was all so baffling lame and stupid.

All the quakes multiplayer was obviously just great though.

Worth remembering that Quake II only ended up being called a sequel to Quake because they couldn't come up with a better name for it

I do agree that the hordes of Shub-Niggurath are a more interesting set of antagonists than the Strogg though, wouldn't be surprised if we ever got a new Quake game that they end up using both though

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quake was basically just Doom 2.5 when you think about it. It was originally going to be some kind of RPG but I think the idea was probably just too ambitious and they went back to what they actually knew how to make and were good at.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

Worth remembering that Quake II only ended up being called a sequel to Quake because they couldn't come up with a better name for it

TOOT BOOT posted:

Quake was basically just Doom 2.5 when you think about it. It was originally going to be some kind of RPG but I think the idea was probably just too ambitious and they went back to what they actually knew how to make and were good at.

Yeah by all accounts ID was going through a lot of internal troubles during Quake 1 and 2 and you can sort of tell. I do like how apparently when Trent Reznor was asked if he wanted to do the music for Quake 2 he declined once he saw it, saying the game "lacked atmosphere". Which yeah the later quakes all seemed technically really good but to me did seem pretty lacking in style and atmosphere.

Doom 3 for all it's faults did at least create a pretty unique style for itself.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Doom 3 for all it's faults did at least create a pretty unique style for itself.
Modded up it's a pretty great game, just kinda iffy in weird ways you don't expect from an id game. Civvie's line about the world feeling "died in" is very accurate.

I really do hope the next id game uses the insanity world design of Quake and just sticks ranger in it with a slower building doom eternal style design. Dark gods, evil magic, runes in castles and crazy enemy design would be nice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

I really do hope the next id game uses the insanity world design of Quake and just sticks ranger in it with a slower building doom eternal style design. Dark gods, evil magic, runes in castles and crazy enemy design would be nice.

Yeah on the design, I have a lot of trust in the current ID team to absoutly nail that. While I still prefer OG's doom design aesthetics, the new dooms and particularly eternal have some amazing art and design choices. Can't see them not going all in on dark gods, eldritch horrors, ruin castles esthetics. Although with the From games already doing some a bit similar and quite amazing stuff with the art in souls and bloodborn, be interesting to see how they would look to make their stuff distinct, as pretty clear everyone knows comparisons will be made.

It's always nice when you hear about a reboot of an old franchise and your first thought isn't "oh, god how are they going to gently caress it up this time."

Really wish we got another of the new Deus ex games. Despite a few flaws here and there, also really solid games.

Spiderdrake posted:

Modded up it's a pretty great game, just kinda iffy in weird ways you don't expect from an id game. Civvie's line about the world feeling "died in" is very accurate.

Haha, if your looking for a quote to sum up an old FPS pretty much can't go past Civvie.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

dr_rat posted:

I actually rather like Doom 3 but they really messed up the Cacodemon. The rest is good to great, just very different from what came before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m a really big fan of Doom3, I loved the spooky horror haunted-house vibe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just installed Doom 3 after finishing TNT: Evilution, my very first impressions were very Half Life. It's extremely bizarre to play this after injecting hundreds of Doom 1/2 wads into my veins for the last 6 months

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quake 4 probably has better moment to moment gameplay than Doom 3 but Doom 3 still wins over it on atmosphere.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, the map designers really learned how to use the new lighting system to brilliantly. Just remember when graphics cards started being a thing and 3d games would just chuck in all these random stuff that cards could do just to sort of show off. God drat coloured lighting and random effects every where looking ugly as hell. Even though they had a fancy new engine doom 3 was really good at not going crazy with stuff and going hard on the engines strength to make a really strong atmosphere.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There's two main themes of original Doom: horror and action. The action is what everyone rightfully remembers it for, but it was also pretty scary by the standards of 1993. Doom 3's misstep is that it focused too much on the horror.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ponzicar posted:

There's two main themes of original Doom: horror and action. The action is what everyone rightfully remembers it for, but it was also pretty scary by the standards of 1993. Doom 3's misstep is that it focused too much on the horror.

I don't think it was a mis-step, like it succeed really well in what it wanted to do which yeah was pretty strong on the horror. I would say the biggest misstep was just calling it doom 3. If they had called it pretty much anything else think it would of been better received.

But yeah very not a bad thing that they wanted to try something different. I mean just look at how many game sequels now days are so stagnant as it's just pretty much the same thing over and over.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1543083070529720320?t=6AxXGgsve5Ps150UdC9gDQ&s=19

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I don't think it was a mis-step, like it succeed really well in what it wanted to do which yeah was pretty strong on the horror. I would say the biggest misstep was just calling it doom 3. If they had called it pretty much anything else think it would of been better received.

But yeah very not a bad thing that they wanted to try something different. I mean just look at how many game sequels now days are so stagnant as it's just pretty much the same thing over and over.

Alien vs Predator does most of what Doom 3 tried to do in terms of gameplay, only executing on those ideas better. I guess part of this is that conceptually Aliens as an IP just works better for this; the motion tracker being the perfect tension raising tool, xenomorphs as one of the most threatening and iconic creatures ever created. It doesn't have the fancy stencil lighting, but it didn't even need that tech in order for the gameplay to work (arguably neither did Doom 3).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I actually rather like Doom 3 but they really messed up the Cacodemon. The rest is good to great, just very different from what came before.
The original Cacodemon is perfect in every way.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I whine about this with some regularity but I wish some new AAA FPS would keep old Duke/Blood style exploration based maps as a design focal point and reinvent everything around those so the games flow well and are still palatable to modern audiences. Keycard hunting isn't a great loop but that's a problem that can absolutely be solved while still retaining what made those little dioramas so compelling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

I whine about this with some regularity but I wish some new AAA FPS would keep old Duke/Blood style exploration based maps as a design focal point and reinvent everything around those so the games flow well and are still palatable to modern audiences. Keycard hunting isn't a great loop but that's a problem that can absolutely be solved while still retaining what made those little dioramas so compelling.
That's really the immersive sims, though. And no matter how good they are, they don't sell.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

anilEhilated posted:

That's really the immersive sims, though. And no matter how good they are, they don't sell.
one day

four five one day

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Sad but true. It took me two years to give Prey 2017 a chance and was one of my favourites of the year. Just the way I broke the "normal" progression just climbing with the gloo cannon was brilliant and realised that devs took that into account several weird routes and decisions made me love it.

Spending points on combat makes you Doomguy lite, running like a maniac with the shotgun blasting everything.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

The guns in Doom 3 all feel terrible, and that is inexcusable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

yeah this is what I noticed most playing it recently.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Convex posted:

Shotgun tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRfhCQy0_s

they all sound like they're made of action man plastic