Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Never, ever leave it off the battery tender.

Good advice for all bikes, including electric ones which stupidly enough have a 12v battery too (for the screen, not for propulsion) that needs to be tenderised...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What? All bikes? That can’t be right, I’ve owned a raft of mostly Suzukis and Harleys and never kept them on a tender other than over the winter. Haven’t had a problem with a battery that wasn’t already on its way out.

epswing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 1, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yamaha has blessed me with not having to worry about a tender. Also the year round riding weather helps.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's a few pennys worth of 'leccy over a year to basically keep your battery 100% ready, always and never have to worry about it dying. No harm in it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Did 400 miles today on the vfr lol

The 880 did indeed suck rear end

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Strife posted:

Never, ever leave it off the battery tender.

Have you really had issues with this? I stored mine in a friend’s garage from mid-December until early-April and he lazily forgot to take the battery/to put it on a tender; after four months it still turned over with no fuss. I admit I was surprised, I thought I was going to have to charge it up! It has been a tank so far other than getting stuck in Montreal gridlock for hours causing the clutch to poo poo itself.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I think Strife is relating to a dumb problem he had with the battery re: Ducati.

Who was it whose Ducati wouldn't start because of a software error?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wasn’t it every Aprilia at 0 degrees Celsius? Or are we talking about different things?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I think Strife's Scrambler has murdered a couple of batteries when it wasn't on a tender.

Modern Ducati seem to have batteries that just barely have enough cranking amps to start the bike; if there's any parasitic drain happening anywhere and the battery's not on a tender, you get to play "will it start" roulette

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I think Strife's Scrambler has murdered a couple of batteries when it wasn't on a tender.

Modern Ducati seem to have batteries that just barely have enough cranking amps to start the bike; if there's any parasitic drain happening anywhere and the battery's not on a tender, you get to play "will it start" roulette

What do you mean 'modern' it's been a tradition for decades

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m in Santa Rosa can’t wait to hit the road again early tomorrow morning

The 101 gets super pretty from here out. Especially southern humboldt. Only 250 miles left on my trip

Seven years in this Kriega bag is really showing its age. Not sure what the life expectancy is supposed to be for these. Same poo poo with my gloves which are only a couple years old. What’s with all the bonded leather on bike gear. Oh well

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 2, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My neighbours Ducatis are always hooked up. None of the other bikes are.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The dealer happily gave me a SAE charging cable for $0 so I think he agrees.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Regardless of whether it's necessary or not, lead acid batteries just love to be kept at 100 percent state of charge all the time (as opposed to lithium batteries, which are best stored between 40ish and 70ish percent SOC).

My SV battery is pretty old, so idk how representative that is. But i am sure it won't start in spring, if i leave it all winter.
I just ride it every 3 or 4 weeks in winter. Also saves me from fuel system woes.
The SV needs a LOT of power to start, though. It's very hard to bump start. I can manage it on an incline in dry summer weather, but in winter, with thick oil, on a road that's damp, i just can't do it.

My FZR just got a new battery. The previous one was super dead, but i jump started it with one of those little 7ah UPS batteries. Even connected with some crocodile clips (beefed up with house wiring) it will start instantly even though my UPS battery is a good 10 years old.
I have no doubts that i could leave it all winter with its new battery and still start in spring.

One thing to look out for with battery tenders, is the sketchy ones that sometimes randomly don't cut off at 13,8v. There are a few stories of people who ended up with boiled dry batteries because of that. Do a quick search before buying one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Twins and singles can be hard to crank because if you think about it, the starting system only has to overcome one compression event at a time. In an fzr600 that translates to cranking over four 150cc singles in sequence, whereas the sv is a pair of 325 thumpers.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Twins and singles can be hard to crank because if you think about it, the starting system only has to overcome one compression event at a time. In an fzr600 that translates to cranking over four 150cc singles in sequence, whereas the sv is a pair of 325 thumpers.

Ha, yeah I’ve thought about this, when I start my sporty I need this poor battery to overcome almost 200 psi on a 600 cc cylinder :stare:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Fun advanced motorcycle class on the local outdoor kart track. Made a bunch of progress.

Good variety of turns. Laps are just short of a mile, all second gear for me. GPS is a little janky, was from my watch, under my suit.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Oh man a cart track is perfect for doing some technical riding I imagine, tons of tight turns.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I want to ride on a kart track. I was riding on Alpine Rd the other day and was constantly between 2nd and 3rd. It was kind of frustrating but good practice as well. I’d like to experience that on a track where I don’t have to worry about a car coming the other way on a 10’ wide road.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wasn’t it every Aprilia at 0 degrees Celsius? Or are we talking about different things?

Slide Hammer posted:

I think Strife is relating to a dumb problem he had with the battery re: Ducati.

Who was it whose Ducati wouldn't start because of a software error?

It was goddamntwistos Aprilia Shiver that wouldn't start if it was exactly 0 degrees outside, yes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

What do you mean 'modern' it's been a tradition for decades

Zero personal experience with Ducatis from before 2014, but I'm not surprised that's the case. I guess that's why https://motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html is a thing

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

Correct. I've replaced my battery every year, as though it's part of routine maintenance on the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7_UvjT_lZE

Honestly other than that the bike is loving awesome and I love it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

Fun advanced motorcycle class on the local outdoor kart track. Made a bunch of progress.

Good variety of turns. Laps are just short of a mile, all second gear for me. GPS is a little janky, was from my watch, under my suit.

Looks like you had a hell of a lap there where you crossed into the adjacent lot :v:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hello CA! I don't post much but I'm still riding all over the western US any time I get a chance.

The last few years I've been focusing on my camping setup, I try to camp at least half the nights I'm out there (not always smart/possible in some parts of the US). My goal is under 30 minutes for setting up or breaking camp.

I don't have any beauty shots because my bikes are pretty beat but that's ok, I'd be a wreck worrying about a beautiful bike. Most of the time I'm all packed up before I think to get an action shot of camp. Here's a 5am wakeup on a mining trail outside Cisco, Utah:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How do you like that outdoor research bivvy? I have always wanted to do a cowboy camp but not a good idea here in the desert so at least a bivvy to keep the bugs away is required.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I haven’t had any others for comparison.

My biggest problem is keeping it off my face, I’ve come up with some techniques but I suspect it’s just a failing of these things in general — it’s minimalist by design, if you want headroom pack a tent.

Second biggest problem is humidity management, you have to make sure you’re breathing out the mesh or your legs will start getting wet. But again there’s probably no getting around that if it’s going to be rain proof.

With those out of the way the pros line up with exactly what I want. It packs very small (much smaller than a one-person tent) and it sets up in one or two minutes, and can be packed up in about twice that.

Edit: in that photo it is zipped into rain-mode, usually you have it flapped differently to have mesh over your face instead.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 4, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah: motocamping rules

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

The SV needs a LOT of power to start, though. It's very hard to bump start. I can manage it on an incline in dry summer weather, but in winter, with thick oil, on a road that's damp, i just can't do it.

You've been around bikes long enough, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know, but just in case - try bumpstarting it in 2nd. I had to do it a couple times with my Weestrom and it was the difference between wearing my scrawny rear end out to no avail, and taking a few rapid steps on level ground.

If anyone's got a physical explanation for why it works, I'm all ears. I would have thought 1st would be ideal since you're turning the engine faster and the next ignition is along sooner.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

If anyone's got a physical explanation for why it works, I'm all ears. I would have thought 1st would be ideal since you're turning the engine faster and the next ignition is along sooner.

Engine speed in 1st gear at push-start speeds is high and generates so much resistance that it is hard to push along.
Engine speed in 2nd at the same speed is lower and there's less resistance to overcome.
Think of it as reverse engine brake. At any given speed, a lower gear will generate more resistance than a higher gear.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 4, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

One thing to look out for with battery tenders, is the sketchy ones that sometimes randomly don't cut off at 13,8v. There are a few stories of people who ended up with boiled dry batteries because of that. Do a quick search before buying one.

Optimate tenders are excellent.

This one will do any type of battery and keep it tip top, including lithium:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/474644

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TotalLossBrain posted:

Engine speed in 1st gear at push-start speeds is high and generates so much resistance that it is hard to push along.
Engine speed in 2nd at the same speed is lower and there's less resistance to overcome.
Think of it as reverse engine brake. At any given speed, a lower gear will generate more resistance than a higher gear.

To dumb it down even further, it's easier for the engine to turn a lower gear, harder for a higher gear. Doing the opposite, turning the engine with the wheel, reverses that

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Did a track day on Saturday at COTA and probably got heat stroke despite drinking a poo poo ton of water and electrolyte mixes. Would not recommend.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How hot? I did one last summer that got up to 106F (41C) before we called it quits. It started an hour early and lunch was pushed an hour out, so there were 5 sessions in the morning while it was mostly in the 90s (I did 6 because I did an R3 demo). After lunch was 100+ and I only did one session. Definitely borderline.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

How hot? I did one last summer that got up to 106F (41C) before we called it quits. It started an hour early and lunch was pushed an hour out, so there were 5 sessions in the morning while it was mostly in the 90s (I did 6 because I did an R3 demo). After lunch was 100+ and I only did one session. Definitely borderline.

High 90s and maybe some blips into the 100s. It was extremely humid in the morning, but that mostly cooked off. In the pits, in the afternoon it wasn't too bad as a breeze blew through the garages, but getting all of my gear on and getting on the bike was exhausting since I had just bought new leathers, gloves, and the Tech Air 5 vest was a PITA to squeeze into the suit.

Someone else at the track told me the surface temps reached 137 F.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/tx/austin/KAUS/date/2022-7-2

dema
Aug 13, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Did a track day on Saturday at COTA and probably got heat stroke despite drinking a poo poo ton of water and electrolyte mixes. Would not recommend.

Looking good. How is the track? Did they fix the asphalt ripples? I don't recall hearing complaints about it in MotoGP this year.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

dema posted:

Looking good. How is the track? Did they fix the asphalt ripples? I don't recall hearing complaints about it in MotoGP this year.

I guess I should say "heat exhaustion" since I did not die, I was just extremely tired.

I think the track conditions are great. I've ridden on it multiple times before, and I guess now after whatever resurfacing they did.

There is still quite a bump turning into Turn 1 and turn 12 that will unsettle the suspension a little bit, but otherwise it's fine. Honestly I didn't even notice the bumps on the track that the pros were complaining about, but that's probably due to not having the ability to ride at the extreme pace and lean angle that they are.

Anyway, COTA is great, and if you ever have the opportunity to do a track day there, you should. This last trackday was with a group called "3:16 Track days" which was a little too bible-thumping/evangelical Christian in their emails and messaging, but the event itself was good. Previously I've done primarily Ridesmart trackdays and one Aprilia Racers Day event.

I get the feeling 3:16 might have not sold enough seats to cover the cost of track rental this time around though, so I'm not sure how much longer they will be around. I believe the track rental is around $50,000/day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk man Stone Cold Steve Austin track days sound pretty rad to me, a good ol fashioned slobberknocker :bahgawd:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
After owning the ninja 650 for a year and putting hardly any miles on it, I decided it wasn't the bike for me. Put it up for sale on consignment. I'll probably break even on the sale, but I don't really care since it was burning a hole in my pocket sitting in the garage.
Along with setting up the ninja for consignment, I picked up a 2019 Speed Twin. This bike is better in so many ways.

Garbage bins for added flavor.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I heard you guys like castles and there's a lot of those around, so I took a picture with a castle for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
How do you like the cb500x? Does it have enough power for highway passing? I’m thinking of adding one to the stable as a ‘do everything’ bike, as my sr400 is pretty terrible for highway usage and my cb750 is barely reliable enough to make it down the street and back