Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
just put the archers on horses, then what? invincible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Voxx posted:

just put the archers on horses, then what? invincible

4000 years of monarchs furiously posting "nerf steppe nomads OP"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.aroged.com/2022/06/21/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-has-sold-over-3-million-copies/

pretty good for a $50 game in early access

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Mount & Blade is one of those frustrating games that is expensive and riddled with flaws, but nothing else out there matches its niche so you're stuck with it warts and all

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MikeCrotch posted:

Mount & Blade is one of those frustrating games that is expensive and riddled with flaws, but nothing else out there matches its niche so you're stuck with it warts and all

Did you say "Arma 3"?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Ah, Total War.

Weird how both are games involving the senseless, brutal slaughter en masse brought about by imperial ambition :(

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, Total War.

Weird how both are games involving the senseless, brutal slaughter en masse brought about by imperial ambition :(

Turns out it's really fun. No wonder empires like doing it so much

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Also it's insanely fun.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If yuo cant handel me at my Useless Workshops, you dont derserve me at my Polearm Combat Amidst Fiann Volley

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I honestly don't understand why more developers don't try for something similar to Mount & Blade.

It really does hit a niche I wish there was so much more of.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem is that a lot of the work was making an engine that can do what bannerlord does and do it properly. A lot of niche games run into this problem where it just isn't possible to hack together in like unreal, unity, etc so they have to write their own engine, which takes a TON of development particularly a lot of very technical work before you can even really get working on a viable game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ErKeL posted:

I honestly don't understand why more developers don't try for something similar to Mount & Blade.

It really does hit a niche I wish there was so much more of.

They do. Mount and Blade is the indie darling that could, though. Battlebrothers, Starsector, etc are all the same sandbox venue but most of the other ones you don't really hear about, mostly because they aren't very good.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I do think it's largely the technical end being very difficult. For a similar example, there's a ton of interest in shooters, and clones of Arma pvp but I can't think of anything else that actually does what Arma does in single player with the ability to have like full scale company to battalion sized battles filled with fully independent bots.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Goddamit, in my current run I’ve ended up as a Vlandian cultured vassal to Caladog and the Battanians, and this is getting super old. They keep launching wars, getting nowhere and then making peace under crippling tribute conditions. Meanwhile because of the culture penalty my loyalty levels in my single fief are so low that I can’t even build anything.

What should I do? Drop the vassalage and go someplace else? I can’t exaggerate how bad Battania is in this run- I can’t even form an army most of the time as basically every party in the kingdom is constantly below 40% strength.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

wilderthanmild posted:

I do think it's largely the technical end being very difficult. For a similar example, there's a ton of interest in shooters, and clones of Arma pvp but I can't think of anything else that actually does what Arma does in single player with the ability to have like full scale company to battalion sized battles filled with fully independent bots.

Have you played Freeman: Guerilla Warfare? It's based on Arma and it's got the Mount & Blade formula of finding recruits, fighting battles, taking over towns, etc. I've put a few hours in it, it's pretty fun.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Goddamit, in my current run I’ve ended up as a Vlandian cultured vassal to Caladog and the Battanians, and this is getting super old. They keep launching wars, getting nowhere and then making peace under crippling tribute conditions. Meanwhile because of the culture penalty my loyalty levels in my single fief are so low that I can’t even build anything.

What should I do? Drop the vassalage and go someplace else? I can’t exaggerate how bad Battania is in this run- I can’t even form an army most of the time as basically every party in the kingdom is constantly below 40% strength.

Get a Bat culture companion and make them governor. Or cut your losses, eat the relationship penalty, join the Vlandians, and murder the Battanians.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Get a Bat culture companion and make them governor. Or cut your losses, eat the relationship penalty, join the Vlandians, and murder the Battanians.

Also make sure they have the Bow perk Discipline that gives +1 loyalty

Then make sure the first thing the fief does is build Fairgrounds up to level III. If loyalty gets to 25 or below you risk revolt and construction stops so throw festivals until it gets above 50 then try building again

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Is there a bug where rebels never get declared war on? There are like 4 independent city states in my game and nobody seems to be at war with them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a way to deploy infantry along with archers in a single unit? I was wondering if there's a simpler way to deploy polearm infantry in a ranged line without using two separate units, along with saving on captain slots.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a way to deploy infantry along with archers in a single unit? I was wondering if there's a simpler way to deploy polearm infantry in a ranged line without using two separate units, along with saving on captain slots.

I think you can do it by picking the mixed infantry/archer unit type?

You don't really want to though, since archers are best in loose formation and infantry are best in shield wall or skein. Lumping them together will give you the worst of both worlds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I think you can do it by picking the mixed infantry/archer unit type?

You don't really want to though, since archers are best in loose formation and infantry are best in shield wall or skein. Lumping them together will give you the worst of both worlds.

Thanks for that!

Efficiency is nice and all but I'm kinda intending to play Vlandia with the infantry/archers being a static block while I flank with cavalry, and I might just take the hit just so I don't have to micro them more than I have to. My issue with delegating command is that I've noticed the AI not even bothering to respond to incoming cavalry or enemy infantry reaching melee range, which was real annoying.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Are you using Vlandian Pikemen at all? Just to note that they are one of the worst infantry types in the game, which is doubly weird because not only are Vlandian Sergeants one of the best infantry and as easy to get, their pike is actually longer than the Pikeman's. Billmen are good at killing other infantry but not actually effective against cav particularly as the bill isn't that long.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, pure pikes is suicide in this game when there's so much deadly ranged firepower around. I planned on using Voulgiers sitting behind pure Sharpshooters, since even if they won't be protected by their pavise, they'll be shooting back. Voulgiers then absolutely poo poo on any melee target, even if they're somewhat fragile due to lack of shield, but that's what the Sharpshooters are for.

That said, I tried your suggestion and funnily enough it arranges infantry and ranged in a platoon formation, ie. a line where from left to right you get a somewhat even spread of groups of melee and ranged infantry. It's cute but I was hoping for just plain ranged up front and melee at the rear entirely. Oh well.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

what's everyones favourite army comp? i've usually gone with the best units of whatever faction i'm playing as for convenience and rp reasons, but for this run i'm playing in the empire and trying to use multiple factions units. it's a bit of a pain running around gathering them up, especially after a big loss, so i'm trying to keep it to just 3 factions so i don't have to run across the map to assemble an army. i've been using imperial infantry (legionaries), battanian archers (fians), and swadian cavalry (knights). i started as khuzait because i thought i was going to play with primarily horse archers but i got tired of that lol. i'd like to integrate horse archers again but don't want to run all over the map. are the imperial ones any good? i seem to slaughter them with my army when facing them so i'd think no?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Norse dudes that hurl axes everywhere cause seeing a line of infantry get mowed down by axe throwing wildmen is fun.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

The Norse dudes that hurl axes everywhere cause seeing a line of infantry get mowed down by axe throwing wildmen is fun.

I like Sturgian infantry, Battanian Noble archers, and Vlandian cavalry. They are all close enough together it isn't TOO difficult to gather a force back up after a real nasty fight.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

what's everyones favourite army comp? i've usually gone with the best units of whatever faction i'm playing as for convenience and rp reasons, but for this run i'm playing in the empire and trying to use multiple factions units. it's a bit of a pain running around gathering them up, especially after a big loss, so i'm trying to keep it to just 3 factions so i don't have to run across the map to assemble an army. i've been using imperial infantry (legionaries), battanian archers (fians), and swadian cavalry (knights). i started as khuzait because i thought i was going to play with primarily horse archers but i got tired of that lol. i'd like to integrate horse archers again but don't want to run all over the map. are the imperial ones any good? i seem to slaughter them with my army when facing them so i'd think no?

I like having horse archers as my main army, and then another army just of dudes with big shields/short weapons and foot archers that I leave at home until it’s time to capture a castle. Horse archers do feel a little bit broken in this game though, power wise.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The best army composition is the one who survives all my suicidial charges directly to the enemy front line

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I feel like the YouTube banner lord tactics geniuses settled on the best (non horse archer) army composition being: Fians, empire legionaries, empire cataphracts, and Aseri palace guards (the 2h bardiche infantry). Fians do 90% of the killing, legionaries stand in front (big shields) and slow down infantry, cavalry chases off opposing Cav, axemen run in and clear infantry off archers if they get that close

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

tylertfb posted:

I feel like the YouTube banner lord tactics geniuses settled on the best (non horse archer) army composition being: Fians, empire legionaries, empire cataphracts, and Aseri palace guards (the 2h bardiche infantry). Fians do 90% of the killing, legionaries stand in front (big shields) and slow down infantry, cavalry chases off opposing Cav, axemen run in and clear infantry off archers if they get that close

yeah that sounds about right. fians are a must. im a sucker for sharpshooters though, especially for sieges and if you have a good captain to pair them with.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
There have been some rebalances lately so I don't think Fians are as super OP now. Also Sturgian Line Breakers got Dane axes now which rules

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

There have been some rebalances lately so I don't think Fians are as super OP now. Also Sturgian Line Breakers got Dane axes now which rules

Fians still seem pretty OP. Their arrows got nerfed a bit, but one of the things that's always made them really good is they loving murder top tier infantry in melee. In 1.8 I just ran some custom battles and they basically murdered everything. Imperial Elite Cataphracts, slaughted by Fians. Legionaries? Not even loving close. Even once melee started it was only 94 Legionaries vs 100 Fians and it ended with with 91 living Fians. Vlandian Sergeants? Took 0 casualties from arrows, but there were 80 Fians left once the vlandians were dead. Sturgians didn't even get a kill. And these weren't even in like ideal archer conditions. They just loving murder everyone in melee. The only thing I found that don't beat was Khan's guards, and they still took down more than half of them.

I get they are "elite" soldiers and probably shouldn't lose to to tier 1-2-3 infantry. But tier 4+ infantry should at least win when they get into melee range. In this test tier 5 infantry didn't even stand a chance when they got into melee with them. The only thing I found that won was the most elite horse archer unit in the game.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

All the top-tier noble units have way higher skill levels in their relevant combat skills than the top tier regular units, so the Fian Champions end up with way higher two-handed and athletics skill levels than any other infantry unit. All the other top-tier noble units are just as numerically OP (for example, the best Khuzait noble unit far outclasses any of the regular melee cavalry at being melee cavalry) but they're all horse units and I guess the crazy-high riding skill levels are less impactful.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it would be offset by some noble tier 6 infantry. Like maybe sturgia should have some canonically?

Next time I play I'll also try dismounting some Nobel tier 6 cavalry and see how they do.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 15, 2022

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Another nice thing about the fians is that they don't need horses to upgrade, making them much more economical than other noble troops.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Another another another nice thing about Fians is that even as a level 1 dude, you can recruit a bunch of Battanian Youths for almost nothing and have an extremely cost-effective bandit murder machine. And then you're on your way to smithing.
It's a nice easy start for those of us who struggle with the early game.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you struggle with the early game (and even if you don't struggle with it it's an annoying grind) I highly recommend Serve as Soldier as a way to start your game and get into battles right away

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Tree Bucket posted:

Another another another nice thing about Fians is that even as a level 1 dude, you can recruit a bunch of Battanian Youths for almost nothing and have an extremely cost-effective bandit murder machine. And then you're on your way to smithing.
It's a nice easy start for those of us who struggle with the early game.

I have found this to be true and want to add that this is exactly the kind of scenario discussed a few pages ago where you want to meter your unit upgrades until you are sure you can afford the upgrade costs and difference in wages between heroes and fians, especially when heroes are probably effective enough to keep dealing with whatever low-level rabble you are dealing with in the early game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I tested it this morning, dismounted tier 6 cavalry units also get slaughtered in melee by Fian Champs. So basically they are unbeatable in melee combat.

Personally I think there are two main problems with them

1. They have a top tier two handed sword. This is pretty ridiculous. Archers historically of course carried weapons for personal defense, but we're talking short swords, hand axes, etc. You can even read about things like Agincourt where contemporary accounts said when the longbows joined the melee a lot of them were only armed with the tools they'd been using the set up the defenses.

2. Their 2 handed skill is 220. I know these are supposed to be nobles, but these are also supposed to be guys specialized in the longbow. They should be skilled with their melee weapon, but not so much that they are more skilled than every single two handed weapon using unit in the game.

I think the easiest answer is to do 2 thing, downgrade their melee weapon skill to that a of a tier 4 or 5 soldier and instead of a two handed sword, make it a 1 handed axe or short sword. Two handed swords are just too strong to give this unit. I also think there should be a tier 6 melee unit somewhere, and I think it makes the most sense to do that with the Sturgian noble line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think those are some fair criticisms.