Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

That's the opposite of how it works. Harder means more scratch resistance, but also more brittle. (Natural) sapphire is a 9.0 on the Mohs scale - only diamonds can scratch it. (Apple's synthetic sapphire may be a little weaker than natural, but I can't find anything about that.) The Ion-X glass is softer, so will scratch easier, but is harder to crack.

You are absolutely correct and in my head I knew it was more scratch resistant but I typed the exact opposite because my brain was still booting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My SE has zero scratches on the body but the glass is scratched to poo poo. I tried screen protectors but they would always come off and I gave up after the third one. I can't see needing to upgrade this for the foreseeable future so I'll just battery swap it when it's no longer making it through a day.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I never thought to check Battery Health. 84% on a Series 6 after only a year. That seems a bit aggressive.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Endless Mike posted:

That's the opposite of how it works. Harder means more scratch resistance, but also more brittle. (Natural) sapphire is a 9.0 on the Mohs scale - only diamonds can scratch it. (Apple's synthetic sapphire may be a little weaker than natural, but I can't find anything about that.) The Ion-X glass is softer, so will scratch easier, but is harder to crack.

Ok thanks that makes sense. I shall embrace not being precious about this one, and see if I want to be spendy on the 8 or maybe 9.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

eightysixed posted:

I never thought to check Battery Health. 84% on a Series 6 after only a year. That seems a bit aggressive.

My series 5 is at the same percentage.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have never heard of this rumor. I doubt they'd do this. They have never made a 'rugged' product to the best of my knowledge, even though there's absolutely a market for a rugged tablet or phone.

Here's the gist of the rumor.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/07/02/rugged-apple-watch-explorer-edition/

I think they're doing it and there are more recent articles about it. The fitness market is big for them with wearables.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i just got one of these since i started biking recently and got sick of pulling my phone out of my pocket. gotta say, pretty underwhelmed, seems like a lot of what i consider basic use cases aren't really considered and that's a bummer.

maps, for example. so apple maps doesn't have a bike lane overlay, which sucks rear end. so i use google maps, which has an app for turn by turn. the thing is, google maps does not have the option to just see a tiny map on the watch, which i feel like is... table stakes? apple's maps app does, but my use for this feature is "i wanna quickly see how many blocks until i reach the bike lane i gotta turn at," so it's not great. also turn by turn biking directions suck rear end for both google and apple maps and in a just world they would get sued for how deadly some of their ideas are for biking in this city, so i don't really want to try using those either lol. probably going to have to just break down and buy a phone mount for my bike for this

(citymapper's watch app also doesn't let you see an actual map, i dunno if this is a watchos app limitation or what)

phone calls. so like everyone else in america, because we are a failed nation with a failed telecom system, i get between 3 and 8 spam calls a day from unknown numbers, which t-mobile's caller id (i think?) helpfully labels as "Spam Likely." great, easy to ignore. but what'd be even easier to ignore would be if i could just block calls from unknown numbers from showing up on my watch, because who cares, stop buzzing my fuckin wrist.

"but abe," you say, "the iphone has an option for this!" well, yes, i can set "silence all calls from unknown numbers" on the phone itself. but there's often times i am waiting for a call from an unknown number (food delivery, doctor appointment scheduling, etc). so i'd like to keep unknown number ringing on my phone, but off on my watch. nope, no way to do that. apple wants your wrist to get buzzed forever with bullshit. i just want like my partner and my parents to be able to buzz my wrist while i'm biking, and it seems impossible.

also the fitness stuff is kind of disappointing, i wanted to replace strava with apple's stuff because i don't care about sharing my workouts and want something with better data privacy, but it looks like the workouts don't show elevation/speed over time which is a bummer because it seems easy to do (after all, it tracks the total elevation and average speed of the whole fuckin ride!).

all that said i got the nike pride sport band and it's cute so i will probably keep this thing and hope it gets better over time. at least i can set multiple timers at once in the kitchen using it, making this officially more powerful than my ipad

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 30, 2022

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Get workoutdoors, it's a better workout app than the apple one and has maps and more stats and you can customise what metrics it shows.

https://apps.apple.com/app/workoutdoors/id1241909999?ls=1

Doesn't do directions, but it has a nice map showing the route you have taken and it's a one time cheap purchase rather than being an annoying subscription like so many fitness apps.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

Get workoutdoors, it's a better workout app than the apple one and has maps and more stats and you can customise what metrics it shows.

Doesn't do directions, but it has a nice map showing the route you have taken and it's a one time cheap purchase rather than being an annoying subscription like so many fitness apps.

oh this looks sick as hell, finally an app by nerds for nerds thats just a bunch of stats and data stored locally on a device that i pay money for once instead of some horrifying freemium service where i pay $20/mo and everything's in the cloud and they send my gps data to advertisers even though i'm paying them for a service. little map looks awesome too - says it has cycle trails so hopefully it has bike lanes on streets as well, but if not it's still better than nothing

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

also the fitness stuff is kind of disappointing, i wanted to replace strava with apple's stuff because i don't care about sharing my workouts and want something with better data privacy, but it looks like the workouts don't show elevation/speed over time which is a bummer because it seems easy to do (after all, it tracks the total elevation and average speed of the whole fuckin ride!).

You can get the HealthFit app. That will take workouts and automatically sync them to your social fitness tracker website of your choice. All mine sync to Strava.

marktheando posted:

This app is super impressive but I can't get over how un-Apple the UI looks. Those watch screens are pretty ugly, even if functional. The maps look super pixelated.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2022

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

abraham linksys posted:

i just want like my partner and my parents to be able to buzz my wrist while i'm biking, and it seems impossible.
For something like this at least you can set up a workout Focus to only allow certain contacts’ notifications through during a workout.

But yeah “I actually do want unknown caller notifications but just not on my watch” seems a little niche, not gonna lie.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I set up a fitness focus that only lets my wife and kids get ahold of me. The kids barely made the cut tbh.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

aight, that fitness focus sounds like it may work for me

really the feature i wish was a bit easier out of the box would be a control center toggle for "ignore unknown callers" which i could turn off when i am expecting a call (generally, any unexpected unknown caller you care about will leave a voicemail, e.g. your bank or whatever). if i can use a focus to kinda simulate this that sounds good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wouldn't DND mode do that?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
DND only lets your favorites break thru.

Or if they call twice in 30 seconds (if you have that turned on).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

eightysixed posted:

DND only lets your favorites break thru.

Or if they call twice in 30 seconds (if you have that turned on).

Right. They’d have to leave the “ignore unknown callers” totally off and just rely on DND mode when they don’t want calls to come through.

I dunno that use case is very niche so I doubt there’s a perfect solution.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

used WorkOutDoors and it's pretty solid! the only thing missing is that it actually still doesn't show any kind of bike lane overlay for city streets, but I might send the dev a feature request or something, given that data exists in OpenStreetMaps already. i think it looks better than the screenshots indicate as well - the map is a bit wonky but very readable, and it does have some different themes and stuff which I haven't tried

ok one more question: so i'm totally out of charger and plug space on my desk. already going from just having one usb-c cable to having to juggle a lightning cable when i got my iphone was annoying enough, now i have to deal with this fuckin magsafe one! so does anyone here have a magsafe charger they use for both iphone + apple watch that they like? it does not need to do both at once - this is a realm of exclusively $100+ products as far as i can tell - and i'd like if it could do the series 7 fast charge, though i could live without it if that's impossible or something that sends the price skyrocketing

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Apple makes one that's a little pricey. Belkin makes one as well.

Honestly, Watch fast charging isn't that big of a deal. Even before that feature, they charged pretty drat quick. On the other hand if you have a newer iPhone I would absolutely spring for something that does the MagSafe fast charging.

Go on Amazon and search for iPhone + watch charger or whatever and you'll find plenty to pick from.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Don't drop your Apple Watch directly onto bathroom tile in the morning when you're showering. At least my Series 5 got a brand new battery out of it - hopefully this thing lasts until the Series 10 comes out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

apparently apple just released a 2-in-1 USB-C adapter along with the new Macbook Airs: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...6d2d2ae52c6fd55

this would solve my woes... if the included cable was like two feet longer :negative:

I'm really shocked there appears to be no product that is just "this is a single Magsafe pad that can charge either an iPhone or a Watch." I don't know what the gently caress Apple did with these charging standards that made these have to be separate pads, especially since there are a lot of pads that can handle either an iPhone or an Airpods case??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The watch is magnetic op

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The watch is magnetic op

so is the phone. you should able to have one magnetic pad that can charge either. apple is unique in having not figured this out yet, given samsung's watches and whatever can just use any ol' qi charger just like the phones

qi chargers can also, in fact, work for iphones, and for airpods! but not for watches!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

apparently apple just released a 2-in-1 USB-C adapter along with the new Macbook Airs: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...6d2d2ae52c6fd55

this would solve my woes... if the included cable was like two feet longer :negative:

Anker sells those for about half that price, I’m sure you can pick up a couple extra cables to go with it with the extra $30.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

so is the phone. you should able to have one magnetic pad that can charge either. apple is unique in having not figured this out yet, given samsung's watches and whatever can just use any ol' qi charger just like the phones

qi chargers can also, in fact, work for iphones, and for airpods! but not for watches!

The watch has never used qi

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The watch has never used qi

Samsung does use Qi, it’s just such a small coil not all chargers work.

Apple should have supported Qi for the watch a long time ago, or at least built it into magsafe. Reverse charging on iphones for the watch would be perfect for travel, just need your phone charger and top off both overnight.

It works for their incredibly tiny battery backpack.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I thought the problem was that the watch’s concave back means it needs something with a dent in it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

doingitwrong posted:

I thought the problem was that the watch’s concave back means it needs something with a dent in it.

This problem is compounded by the fact that your mother can’t be everywhere at once.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there some trick to paying with the Apple Watch? Mine works fine paying on the tube without doing anything- commuter mode is turned on- but I can’t seem to pay in shops.

I’ve tried double clicking the side button but that just switches apps.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Are you double clicking the crown or the button? Because the shortcut for Apple Pay is a double click of the actual button.

Might have to turn it on in the watch settings as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, check settings. Double clicking the button (not the crown) should bring up Wallet.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Are you double clicking the crown or the button? Because the shortcut for Apple Pay is a double click of the actual button.

Might have to turn it on in the watch settings as well.

As God is my witness I did not know there was a separate button. Thanks both!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is the S8 watch gonna mimic the iphone 12-14 shape or is it gonna keep on being this lovely old rear end pebble design that should've died with the iphone 6?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

is the S8 watch gonna mimic the iphone 12-14 shape or is it gonna keep on being this lovely old rear end pebble design that should've died with the iphone 6?

Yes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Based on experience with my old Galaxy Watch, I'd rather keep this rounded shape.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keep the same shape but add a big notch thx

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have a FitBit, which I really love, but I feel like it's less accurate than it should be, particularly in regards to heart rate/stair climbing/calories burned. I also feel like the community/friend aspect has really fallen over the last year or so.

Does the Apple Watch have a fit community thing for step competitions or anything, and is it easy to compare statistics with friends?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Red posted:

I have a FitBit, which I really love, but I feel like it's less accurate than it should be, particularly in regards to heart rate/stair climbing/calories burned. I also feel like the community/friend aspect has really fallen over the last year or so.

Does the Apple Watch have a fit community thing for step competitions or anything, and is it easy to compare statistics with friends?

You can add friends in the fitness app. It lets you share daily activities and even do 7-day competitions to see who can get more points. There's no web UI like Strava or anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Actually really enjoying the new heart rate zone metrics that is shown on one of the the workout screens now. Also being able to swipe up/down to see different screens is great.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Actually really enjoying the new heart rate zone metrics that is shown on one of the the workout screens now. Also being able to swipe up/down to see different screens is great.

Huh? Where do I find this? Was it in an update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Huh? Where do I find this? Was it in an update?

Public WatchOS 9 beta went live a few days ago.