Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Druid is a really fun and unique playstyle, and you can absolutely dominate in it if played well. Druid is by far the more versatile and capable DD of the two. Paolo is also endlessly frustrating in randoms with so many things around to spot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Counterpoint: 2 turrets forward is great for pushing in, but AP only with no torpedoes and 6.6km detection so you need to work with smoke and hydro smartly, and you need to count on people not angling when they see you. Also, she's not super fast so most DDs can just...run away from you. Here's an example of a good game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3evw3DNVXk

I find Paolo too fun to pass up, though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Paolo is a lot of fun, but it's mostly fun in ranked and it isn't overpowered so the value really falls off if you intend to play kitakaze or something all the time. It is much less consistent in randoms.

Siegfried is also fun and pretty original, but it's a tier 9 super cruiser so you could mostly play the same way in an Alaska and do better since the Alaska is overpowered (Siegfried is not a bad ship though, it has a terrible reputation for some reason but it's above average).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
After some Brawls yesterday:
Prince Rupprecht: Easy mode. Good concealment, plus secondaries and torps. So far I've melted anything that gets close.
Georgia: Works good, speed makes it handy to get into the cap, or run ships down. Had a fun game where I rammed a Donskoi that was hiding around a island.
Alaska: I imagine would work great if paired against a DD, but I can't see it winning against a BB. Nothing to keep people from pushing it.
Jean Bart: Probably good against most things, reload booster can go a long ways.
Kitakaze: I had terrible luck in mine, always fought BBs. Slow torp reload means you might not even have them loaded before the start unless you use TRB. Murders enemy dds though.
Mogador: Also had bad luck, couldn't get close enough to land enough torps. Could theoretically farm at a distance, but you'd have to be sure to get a point lead on the caps.
Paolo: Only had time for a single game in mine, but I'm not sure how'd you'd really stop it unless its a wide open map.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah this backs up what I've read elsewhere. Pommern might be even better than Rupprecht, but those two plus Paolo are by far the 3 best ships. Also saw a few people suggesting radar Neptune - autowin against any DD and most other cruisers, needs skill and luck to beat BBs. Agir feels like it might also be decent although probably strictly worse than Pommern and Rupprecht.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
If anyone hasn't seen this yet, there's still a bunch of these bonus codes left:

https://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/world-warships-pack-keys

If Existing Players:
⦁ 1 day of Premium Account
⦁ 3x CREDITS Container
⦁ 3x RESOURCES Container
⦁ 3x LUCKY Container

It's not that much, but there's no reason not to grab it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Thank you friend.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

James Garfield posted:

Paolo is a lot of fun, but it's mostly fun in ranked and it isn't overpowered so the value really falls off if you intend to play kitakaze or something all the time. It is much less consistent in randoms.

Siegfried is also fun and pretty original, but it's a tier 9 super cruiser so you could mostly play the same way in an Alaska and do better since the Alaska is overpowered (Siegfried is not a bad ship though, it has a terrible reputation for some reason but it's above average).

Didn't the Siegfried get nerfed just before release? I know it got hit hard by the captain skill rework since people loved to spec for secondaries on it which also might be why its got a bad rep.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't the Siegfried get nerfed just before release? I know it got hit hard by the captain skill rework since people loved to spec for secondaries on it which also might be why its got a bad rep.

I don't think it ever got nerfed, you're probably thinking of the other German premium cruiser that had really good secondaries during testing.

For the Siegfried losing the secondary range skill is disappointing because it was funny, but the secondaries did like 2000 damage a game so it hardly affects the ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah they nerfed the Ägir to poo poo after Flamu posted a video of him owning Yuro with the Ägir's secondaries.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sigfried's gimmick is 9/10 WoWS players forgetting/not realizing it has 380mm guns, and giving it broadside like it was just a normal cruiser.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah you're right, I had it confused with the Agir.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Drake feels like a cheat code for ranked. You can tank BB fire (as long as you're angled) while setting them on fire, poo poo on everything smaller and you have a good set of tools to deal with almost every situation.

Maybe it's just that the ship suits my playstyle, but god drat I am glad this thread convinced me to give the bote another shot.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I played 3 ranked games in Drake, hit 100k+ dmg and top score each time, and lost all 3. Cursed ship for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I finally got off my arse and decided between the Napoli and Marceau.

Why is there a pair of underwear flying off her though?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know, if you're in an Akizuki and an Ägir is rushing you down at about 60% HP, you'd think you had no chance of survival. But luckily the Ägir player remembered that he was a TORPEDO BOAT and tried to do a sick torpedo run on me, and instead got torped to gently caress himself.

I swear to god torpedoes are just the biggest trap for dumb pubbies, as evidenced by countless Tirpitzes and Mogamis getting citadeled to hell and back while firing their torpedoes.

As an aside I'm starting to really like the Akizuki now that I have all the modules unlocked. But should I be running a range mod (I haven't checked if the Akizuki can mount a range mod) / range skill build on the thing? 12.5km isn't an amazing range for a gun boat.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
There's no range mod on Akizuki but yeah I recommend taking the 4-pt MBAAE skill that extends range. It's not completely essential but does help.

PM, LS, SE, CE are as usual the first 4 skills on 90% of DDs.

AR and MBAAE should be the next two regardless - you could argue about the order.

In the unlikely event you have a 20-pt captain at T8 (I do because I keep resetting the line for RB), then the biggest question of all is whether to take IFHE or MBAAS. I took MBAAS but it sounds like about a 50/50 split amongst players.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been trying to grind through the start of Ranked in the Riga, it's a good boat I think but man it's hard to force the wins. I think my favourite moment was a Missouri deciding to bully me because I had no torps, eating 8 citadels and dying instead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does the machine gun fire before the rocket planes do anything or is it just to make them harder to use?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Aramoro posted:

Does the machine gun fire before the rocket planes do anything or is it just to make them harder to use?

The latter, destroyers were being obliterated.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So haven’t played since subs were added. Have they ruined the game yet?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They are currently pretty rare since they're still in testing, but yes, they absolutely suck rear end if the player is halfway decent. Just a non-stop barrage of homing torpedoes, surface ships have limited ASW options (and some ships have absolutely none) and they keep adding new and insanely dumb and broken premium ships. Like they're currently testing a Soviet submarine (of course), which has a 10 km hydro.

Also they obviously have no idea how to balance the things, because it's been over a year and they're still constantly doing sweeping class-wide changes all the time. It's going to be a shitshow that makes CVs look tame in comparison, probably.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 2, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They are currently pretty rare since they're still in testing, but yes, they absolutely suck rear end if the player is halfway decent. Just a non-stop barrage of homing torpedoes, surface ships have limited ASW options (and some ships have absolutely none) and they keep adding new and insanely dumb and broken premium ships. Like they're currently testing a Soviet submarine (of course), which has a 10 km hydro.

Also they obviously have no idea how to balance the things, because it's been over a year and they're still constantly doing sweeping class-wide changes all the time. It's going to be a shitshow that makes CVs look tame in comparison, probably.

Lol yeah that’s about what I expected from WG.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I just don't see the point of subs, and that hasn't changed in over a year. Best case scenario you get 1 n00b on each team and the game is basically 11v11. But a well played sub is far more frustrating than CVs have ever been. Unfortunately due to sunk-cost fallacy, they are here to stay.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A well played sub isn’t even close to as annoying as CVs are still currently. Because for all of the annoyance of the sub it can only go 30 knots and not 300

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know the "Try your luck" crates in WoWS? The ones where the description says you're likelier to get a supercontainer but if that doesn't happen, you get less rewards? Well that was a huge lie. There's no likelihood. There's no random chance.

Instead there's an internal counter that fills up every time you get any kind of in-game container, and when that counter fills up, you get a supercontainer. That container's maximum value is a bit convoluted*, but there's no chance involved. The only variable is that a try your luck container contributes 4.5 points to the counter, while every other container (from daily containers to mission rewards and twitch drops) contributes 1.5 points.

This all came out when EU legislation basically forced them to reveal the drop rates for loot boxes and they had to reveal that there was no luck involved. Yet even today in game the TYL container description is still lying to the players.

They just can't help but lie about even the smallest things, can they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsqeRjMXp4

* basically the counter's maximum value is between 1 and 100. But after you get a supercontainer from the counter, you have to still gather up the full 100 points before the counter resets, and a new maximum value is assigned. So if your next maximum value is 2.5, you'll get a supercontainer very quickly, but then still have to grind 97.5 points with zero chance of getting a supercontainer, and then the counter's maximum value can be set to, for instance, 98.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 3, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
That's not really lying, and also the try your luck containers used to be double the chance of supercontainer so they improved it.

I mean Wargaming are terrible at making games, but they're terrible because of the CV rework not because of this thing nobody could possibly care about.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

James Garfield posted:

That's not really lying, and also the try your luck containers used to be double the chance of supercontainer so they improved it.

I mean Wargaming are terrible at making games, but they're terrible because of the CV rework not because of this thing nobody could possibly care about.

That’s the thing though: it doesn’t improve your chances at all. There are no “chances.” It’s a bald-faced lie.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
You get three times as many supercontainers if you pick the try your luck option. You would have to be really dumb to complain that they changed it from two times to three times.

(also who cares because it still isn't worth it)

edit: it obviously is a probability since you do not know which container will be super, and you are getting three times as many supercontainers in the same number of boxes so you are three times as likely to get one on any given box.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 3, 2022

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kaesarsosei posted:

Yeah this backs up what I've read elsewhere. Pommern might be even better than Rupprecht, but those two plus Paolo are by far the 3 best ships. Also saw a few people suggesting radar Neptune - autowin against any DD and most other cruisers, needs skill and luck to beat BBs. Agir feels like it might also be decent although probably strictly worse than Pommern and Rupprecht.

Always go Pommern in Brawl.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Pommern is good but once you start getting matched against higher skill players you run into some real challenges. Mogador is usually a nailbiter, especially if they go for an open water gunboat strat; Agir and Rupprecht can give you a run for your money; I actually lost a match to a Kearsarge (!) and nearly lost one to a SAP secondary build Italian battleship meme. Even Alaska will dumpster you with its AP if you don't have a way to force it to fight up close. e: and Neptune can be a challenge if you don't know how to shoot below the waterline to avoid overpens

My least favorite match was against a known ranked shitter who carried his passive play fetish into brawl. He ran Z-46 and just hid behind an island with hydro, waiting for you to either push into him or for timer to run out so he could win on points.

Anyway brawl's over so!

How long will the Black be available for coal? Is it explicitly a limited time thing or will it be around a while?

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 3, 2022

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I would expect it ever to be removed, particularly without notice; they haven’t removed ships from the armory without advanced notice ever I believe. This is different from the premium shop or temporary events/crossovers where they have a defined end time. But even things like Smaland/Smolensk they have advanced notice.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

A well played sub isn’t even close to as annoying as CVs are still currently. Because for all of the annoyance of the sub it can only go 30 knots and not 300

Pretty much. A sub also has to get in range and engage with other ships ;)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Blehh I'm awful at T10 brawl

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

General Battuta posted:

Blehh I'm awful at T10 brawl

Same. Schlieffen's torpedoes haven't loaded by the time the fight is decided.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think this is why people are saying Kleber is actually the best brawl ship - it's torps are ready in time.

Also saw people suggesting Mino - autowin against any DD, if BB doesn't Dev Strike with its first salvo, thats a win too. Not sure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CVs in brawl :jerkbag:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Are CVs actually any good in brawl though?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Not really so far, but I have yet to meet a really good one.

On the other hand my Minotaur has died to every french DD I've met :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Just thinking of the stupidity of taking a CV into a brawl. Win or lose, its going to take 15+ minutes. You could probably win 4 games in a Kleber in that time.