Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Has real 1995-tier "HTTP;\four@score.and*seven&years//ago.com.html, lol it's the gettysburg address!!" vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's probably an intranet address.

Sorry to ruin your fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah its just an internal (probably sharepoint lol) server

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LifeSunDeath posted:

My favorite game on it was either Vitrua Racer or Virtua Fighter. Both games were also out in arcades at the time and it blew my mind I could play them at home. I had the sega CD as well so I had some games that required all 3 systems but they weren't very good.

Naw, 32x was kind of bunko, and playstation ate it's lunch and then some.

The 32x was also just this weird victim of internal politics and Sega JP and Sega USA just not liking each other a lot. It didn't help that both it and the forthcoming Saturn both used a lot of the same chips, which resulted in the Saturn's hilariously bad US launch.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Like probably ½ the people I knew who had GBAs had link cables. Can't really do split-screen on them things.

There's actually a funny story on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlNBSOzKu7g

TLDR: One of the developers of the Game Boy Pocket pushed really hard to remove the link port because hardly anyone used it and they wanted to save money. Pokemon came out right before the GBP did.

Imagine an alternate world where Nintendo releases a link port-less version of the GBP 5 months after Pokemon came out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Porfiriato posted:

That's not even a real website address!!! :mad:

tell me you don't understand URLs without telling me you don't understand URLs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On some “I wonder if this works” bullshit today

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

The 32x was also just this weird victim of internal politics and Sega JP and Sega USA just not liking each other a lot. It didn't help that both it and the forthcoming Saturn both used a lot of the same chips, which resulted in the Saturn's hilariously bad US launch.
There was that initial idea that Saturn and 32X would be cross-compatible, so that folks who had built up a 32x tower wouldn't feel ripped off. Pr maybe that was "Project Neptune"

Lol.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The wackiest part of that is that Sega was still planning on launching the Neptune in the winter of 1996, well after the Saturn was already out.

I got to see a Neptune in person once. That's it, no cool story about it. Also it was just a shell with no electronics inside.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Edit: wrong thread

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

boar guy posted:

the sound of all of those monitors powering on at the same time, only constantly, is what tinnitus is, in case you ever need a reference :tipshat:

imagine if you degaussed them all at once

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

imagine if you degaussed them all at once

A bnnnnnng to shake the heavens.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

A bnnnnnng to shake the heavens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HBX0HXl6b4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My god. It’s full of gauss

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If someone attempted to degauss those all at once, their skeleton would turn to dust inside their body from the vibrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

an actual frog posted:

So, CRD's latest video is a delight. He takes a 5.25" 5 disc CD changer drive with a neat party piece to its logical conclusion :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuhRfvIkn0

that montage at 23 minutes :getin:

I finally got round to watching this, that montage section is an extremely pro-click.

CRD is the best YouTube nerd in the biz

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Porfiriato posted:

That's not even a real website address!!! :mad:

evobatman posted:

It's probably an intranet address.

Sorry to ruin your fun.

Yes, it is

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah its just an internal (probably sharepoint lol) server

And yea, it was.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven’t watched that video yet but I believe LGR did something similar with a 7 disc changer and Phantasmagoria I think. I don’t think it entirely worked though.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven’t watched that video yet but I believe LGR did something similar with a 7 disc changer and Phantasmagoria I think. I don’t think it entirely worked though.

Per CRD, it’s success is largely dependent on how the game is coded and whether the changer is exposed to Windows as multiple devices or a single device.

But when it Just Works, it’s hilariously satisfying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember deleting everything on my HDD because Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate (cum expansion) came on like 6 or 7 CD-ROMs and I was NOT about to swap.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

3D Megadoodoo posted:

cum expansion

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did the 32x have any killer games?

No.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember deleting everything on my HDD because Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate (cum expansion) came on like 6 or 7 CD-ROMs and I was NOT about to swap.

Oh I had forgotten about that. Now that you mention it, I distinctly remember the cardboard construction the CDs came in, and taking absolutely forever to install it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The endless swapping of Baldur's Gate CDs is one of my earliest PC gaming memories.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When I was single digits young I remember trying to install something on our PC that was a total piece of poo poo even for the time, and not having enough space.

I noticed that all the programs on that bad boy were there twice and I always used the smaller ones, so what the gently caress did I need these second giant copies of everything for? Immediately went to work deleting every duplicate I could find.

I left myself with a bunch of shortcuts to nothing and totally hosed the computer up forever, because my parents were too dumb/broke/mad at me for killing the computer to take it to a shop and get it fixed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I do still remember wing commander prophecy, not because it was a good game(it was average) but because it used a stupid strong retention force on discs in the disk box, meaning that every other chapter you needed to swap discs and you had a 50/50 chance of jettison the disk on the wall at supersonic speed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Oh I had forgotten about that. Now that you mention it, I distinctly remember the cardboard construction the CDs came in, and taking absolutely forever to install it.

But what a great experience it was to play it... man, I like that game a lot!

e: I did like the "gold box" games too, but it was a step beyond.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When I was a youngun on our families Gateway 2000 Pentium 75, every time I wanted to play doom, which was a lot, because I loved the game on the 32x (it, along with Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Star Wars Arcade were my favorites on the system), I would dutifully put the CD in the drive, run setup, install the game, set up the sound card (thankfully the default settings worked) and choose the option to run the game at the end of setup. Every time.

It was months before I discovered that the game stayed on the computers hard drive. :cripes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did the 32x have any killer games?

As I said above, the Virtua games, Doom, Star Wars Arcade, are all important or good in their own way

Doom was the first console port of the game, so I think some of its shortcomings (but not all) can be forgiven for that fact. It’s hard to judge early doom console releases because it’s still seeing console releases to this day and the engine has been updated as well, so that even the original DOS version seems clunky today. That being said, for a while it was the only way to play doom without a PC.

There is a project called, I believe Doom 32x Resurrection, where modders have made huge changes and have gotten the game running fullscreen, at a better framerate than the original, adding local multiplayer as well as multi-console multiplayer, proving that the 32x had a large amount of untapped potential.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Virtua Racing was a massive leap over the genesis version, ran well, sounded good, looked great for the time. It was, until the recent switch release, arguably the definitive version, and still is in some ways.

Star Wars Arcade is, I believe still the only home console port of the game, and was really impressive for its time. The difficulty is pretty high though because it was built to munch quarters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As I said above, the Virtua games, Doom, Star Wars Arcade, are all important or good in their own way

Doom was the first console port of the game, so I think some of its shortcomings (but not all) can be forgiven for that fact.

I think SNES doom came out at the same time

E: nvm snes was like a year later, but it looks like the Atari Jaguar port came out a few days after the 32x port though. Jaguar.. now that’s a relic

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jul 2, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

Per CRD, it’s success is largely dependent on how the game is coded and whether the changer is exposed to Windows as multiple devices or a single device.

But when it Just Works, it’s hilariously satisfying.

Yeah, IIRC in the LGR video it didn't work because Phantasmagoria needed all the discs in the same drive. Since this thing just makes five drives in Windows for each 'slot' it didn't work with that game.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Virtua Racing was a massive leap over the genesis version, ran well, sounded good, looked great for the time. It was, until the recent switch release, arguably the definitive version, and still is in some ways.

Up until the Switch version, the 32X version was the only one with this banger (Replay BGM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BCm1OvRHkQ&t=427s

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Five for the base game and one more for the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. Most of it is the FMV movies I believe.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I bought Monkey Island 2 for Amiga 500, 11 floppies and the neat code wheel. A lot of thinking about puzzles while loading floppies.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

old bean factory posted:

I bought Monkey Island 2 for Amiga 500, 11 floppies and the neat code wheel. A lot of thinking about puzzles while loading floppies.

11 disks is a lot, but that game actually handled it pretty well by keeping nearby areas on the same disk, so you were only doing multiple swaps going on long trips across the map.

The other end of that spectrum is the Amiga version of Mortal Kombat 2, which came on 4 disks but there was no thought put into arranging files to minimise swapping. Just loading the game took 11 swaps to get to the title menu, another 2 or 3 for the character select screen, and 2 or 3 more between every fight. It's a shame because it's actually a pretty decent port of MK2 otherwise.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Jul 3, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Computer viking posted:

I still have my copy of baldur's gate and the tales of the sword coast expansion but i could never even finish the first dungeon because my whole party was always instantly wiped by the wizard and i could never figure out what i was doing wrong

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game was ported to the Commodore 64. Switching from the overworld to the sewers or back meant waiting for the area to load from disk. This was however worse in the dam level where every vertical scroll meant loading the next screen. If you were swimming up and didn't respond on time when loading was done you'd drop back down to the previous screen which meant more loading, followed by swimming up and even more loading and making sure you responded quickly enough this time.

Those familiar with the 1541's speed can imagine how much fun the game is this way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Legacy of Time I would have to disc swap a lot because I would get really stuck in one time period and have to go somewhere else for a while.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

The NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game was ported to the Commodore 64. Switching from the overworld to the sewers or back meant waiting for the area to load from disk. This was however worse in the dam level where every vertical scroll meant loading the next screen. If you were swimming up and didn't respond on time when loading was done you'd drop back down to the previous screen which meant more loading, followed by swimming up and even more loading and making sure you responded quickly enough this time.

Those familiar with the 1541's speed can imagine how much fun the game is this way.

That's better than the dos port, in which you could not get to the dam level at all because there's a jump in an early sewer level that's too long to clear, and nobody noticed until after the game shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I’m impressed they managed to find a way to make the dam level even goddamn worse.