Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I have my model y on the default 105 as well, have only had it since the winter but so far this summer it hasn't seemed like it drains much. I do park in a covered garage though, so the car only really heats up when I'm elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

On, even on a hot sunny day it consumes minimal battery. The one time I turned it off to save battery on a trip I had a pair of glasses in the car and the coating on the glasses melted ruining the lenses. And since it is only aiming to keep the cabin 105 or less it is not that much effort on the climate systems.

Ya I just leave mine on all the time. Barely touches the battery. Also nice if I go to drive it and have forgotten to pre-cool it, it's not as brutal.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hobbez posted:

After looking at the market and running the numbers a bunch I've put in a reservation for an AWD ID.4 Pro. Now I get to wait around for a year. :toot:

I feel like it's a really good mix of cost effectiveness and functionality as a daily driver. Among the mid-range EVs it's the cheapest with available AWD, which also buys you an extra 100HP, and it's ample cargo room is a big draw for me. ~37 minute 5-80% should even make it a reasonable choice for medium length road trips.

Took one for a spin yesterday, my first time in an EV, and even though it's not marketed as a 0-60 thrill ride it felt like a loving sports car to me. I found the cabin comfortable and I think I can live with the infotainment/capacitive control quirks.

If anyone has an ID4 I'd love to hear your thoughts on it so far

I really want to like the ID.4 but everything I've seen about the infotainment system emphasizes that that part is total dogshit. Is there any indication they'll have updates to make it more usable?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Roadie posted:

I really want to like the ID.4 but everything I've seen about the infotainment system emphasizes that that part is total dogshit. Is there any indication they'll have updates to make it more usable?

Yeah no-one seems to love it. They are supposed to continue to roll out significant OTA software updates, enabling new major features like lane change assist, auto-park, and improved voice command software. The maps system has received a promised update, with improved route finding software. I think I've heard anecdotally from those that are picking up their IDs with this update that they notice the interface is a bit snappier, more responsive. YMMV. When the other promised add-ons will come online is anyones guess but supposedly that's slated for the second half of 2022.

I personally found it to be less jarring when I sat down and messed around with it then I expected, I think some of the reviewers slightly overplay how bad it is. I saw multiple reviewers make it seem like you have to repeatedly "tap" the touch controls to increase or decrease volume, for example, and that's not the case.... They're sliders. And there's shortcuts for your primary controls available as capacitive touch buttons, so lovely menu-nesting shouldn't be a huge problem for your day-to-day driving. I'm sure navigating the infotainment is a bit of a drag at first, I didn't really dig that deep into it, but at the end of the day as someone that's probably gonna be in CarPlay 90% of the time I don't really mind. The ongoing updates and support for the system is encouraging, at least. I don't know if they'll do a total revamp, so if you're just fundamentally turned off by it, well I haven't heard any indication of something like that being in the works.

I will say thought that the touch-control shortcuts under the infotainment for volume and climate control aren't backlit so they're borderline functionally invisible at night without turning on the dome light :lol: I don't understand how that made it past QC. Hopefully that is fixed with the 2023 model.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 2, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Looks like I'm not getting a Mach in August.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We commit to telling we're going to be late again in 45 days :lol:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I’m getting way too familiar with both the North Haven, CT EA station and its adjacent Jersey Mike’s sub shop.

But it’s fun seeing other cars there. Northbound today: pulled up to an empty station, left maybe 30 min later with two ID.4s and an Ioniq 5 charging alongside, plus another Ioniq 5 and a Taycan waiting in line.

Southbound today (FML), a Bolt and a Kona.

Also seeing more random non-Tesla electrics around my NJ suburb seemingly weekly. XC40 Recharge pseudo-twin to my PS2, a C40, new Bolts, multiple Konas, another Polestar, a lovely gray Ioniq 5 parked at a train station, and probably more I’m forgetting - all just in the last few weeks while out walking.

Seeing all the shiny new Ioniq 5s really makes me wish it was more ID.3 or Bolt sized. It’s a very pretty design language but just way too cavernous inside.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ford-recalling-nearly-2900-f-150-lightning-trucks

This seems like it could’ve been addressed with a simple software update, which it sounds like it will eventually be done that way, but no fix right away?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If I'm not mistaken, software updates are considered a service operation, and must be done at dealerships.

If I'm not further mistaken, this is why there are no Tesla service centers in New Mexico (except for the one on tribal land). They perform service operations outside of dealerships when they push new software.

My grasp on obscure legal gotchas may not be 100% this morning, though.

cruft fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 2, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

We commit to telling we're going to be late again in 45 days :lol:

I assume it's because other model communities are getting just as pissy about not hearing anything about their order status as I've seen with Maverick orderers. They want Ford to pat them on their head and soothe them constantly that they are, in fact, not scheduled since they haven't received a build date e-mail yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

darnon posted:

I assume it's because other model communities are getting just as pissy about not hearing anything about their order status as I've seen with Maverick orderers. They want Ford to pat them on their head and soothe them constantly that they are, in fact, not scheduled since they haven't received a build date e-mail yet.

you fool. never take Ford’s side in something like this.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

cruft posted:

If I'm not mistaken, software updates are considered a service operation, and must be done at dealerships.

If I'm not further mistaken, this is why there are no Tesla service centers in New Mexico (except for the one on tribal land). They perform service operations outside of dealerships when they push new software.

My grasp on obscure legal gotchas may not be 100% this morning, though.

Ford is doing recalls OTA. This Lightning recall will be. I got a different one for my ICE F-150. The recall on all Mach-Es is OTA.

It's that 1) the recall notices are going out to dealers right away before the OTA is ready and 2) The dealers can do the updates sooner through the dealer system for customers who don't want to wait.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Zero One posted:

2) The dealers can do the updates sooner through the dealer system for customers who don't want to wait [for an OTA update].

That's just really, really weird.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

cruft posted:

What's weird about it?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I finally got my car back :toot:

BlueCruise didn’t activate on a road where it should, but maybe my map data is out of date? I have big carplay now tho which is nice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

OTA usually runs in batches to avoid crashing the content servers and to be sure something isn't wrong(so you cook only one or two batches before stopping the push). By manually installing the patch, you can skip the OTA batches wait time. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The dealer customers probably function as a beta test group. You wouldn't dare to immediately OTA your whole customer lot, and you might receive feedback more reliably through your dealer network.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ford-recalling-nearly-2900-f-150-lightning-trucks

This seems like it could’ve been addressed with a simple software update, which it sounds like it will eventually be done that way, but no fix right away?

Jesus christ why are you linking Fox

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

bird with big dick posted:

man, people got problems

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My favorite was the guy that said when your car is charging it maxes out your "voltage" for your house like I guess I just can't use the microwave or watch TV until my car is done charging.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re sensoring muh posts!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Just about any of those would make a good thread title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like the guy who thought that fords are unreliable because they are too focused on EVs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My favorite was the guy that said when your car is charging it maxes out your "voltage" for your house like I guess I just can't use the microwave or watch TV until my car is done charging.

My girlfriend’s house was wired all hosed up and I literally can’t charge the car and use the microwave at the same time :negative:

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
What are the current/upcoming offerings with solar roofs, as much cargo space as Ioniq, and V2L?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Valicious posted:

What are the current/upcoming offerings with solar roofs, as much cargo space as Ioniq, and V2L?

Hurr, the ioniq5 has all of the things you asked for....

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2022

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Hurr, the ioniq5 has all of the things you asked for....

I only wish it had the solar roof. It’s never bad to explore all options either

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Solar roofs are an (expensive) gimmick. Don't bother with that. Solar panels are something like 20-25% efficient at converting solar energy to electricity. There's about 1kw of power hitting each m^2 of area on the earth's surface on average (obviously much less as you get away from the equator or during winter months). There's maybe 1m^2 of space on a roof for solar cells on a car. Meaning you're getting like 200-250w per hour AT BEST during summer, and sunlight hours assuming no shading.

It would take weeks to recharge a battery a meaningful amount at that rate.

Unless you're trying to cross the country in a post apocalypse and can afford to sit still in one place for weeks on end each time you travel 200-250 miles while you recharge, just plug in and spend a few dollars on electricity to recharge.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Good lord, that comment snapshot is a complete dramatic work in three parts. It has an introduction, a section where the development occurs, and a dramatic reveal at the conclusion.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Unless you're trying to cross the country in a post apocalypse and can afford to sit still in one place for weeks on end each time you travel 200-250 miles while you recharge, just plug in and spend a few dollars on electricity to recharge.

This is a whole chapter of The Martian. Good read.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My bad, I don’t read comment sections on news sites anyways and didn’t even realize it was fox.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you're really hell bent on charging your car with solar, buy some cheap fold-up solar panels (something like these, though I've no idea if this particular product is reliable: https://www.amazon.com/DOKIO-Foldable-Monocrystalline-Inverter-Controller/dp/B075SZMFP2) and a Jackery 1500 (or equivalent). Something that's able to put out 1500w continuous since that's what your car would be expecting from a 110v outlet. You'll get more surface area by being able to lie out the solar panels on the ground instead of being limited to the space of the roof of your car and it'll cost like an order of magnitude less than any sort of roof solar solution.

You'd still need to get like 7-8 of those solar panels (at a minimum) (and I doubt the Jackary can actually handle that many), have them ideally placed to capture the max sunlight) to keep up with the car's demands for charging. And you'd still only get like 2-3 miles of range per hour charged under ideal circumstances.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone suggested a solar sail yet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Just about any of those would make a good thread title

"EV thread - this is why blacks cant be part of the auto industry"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Since an adult person can walk at 3 mph, you could probably walk further in an hour than your car would be charged to travel in that same time with this absurd setup too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone suggested a solar sail yet?

Yeah https://www.space.com/light-sail-2-solar-sail-still-flying-planetary-society

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

not bad, not bad

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, this is good news, it looks like Tesla's CCS1 adapter is getting close to 200kW, which is way more than the 70-80 I was seeing in Korean YouTube videos right after the adapter was released.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tesla owners: what do you have your cabin overheat protection set on? I've got mine as on but don't use A/C, it seems like using A/C to cool the cabin while I'm not in the car is kind of crazy. It's not like I'm worried about it sapping my battery especially since I mostly WFH and keep it in the garage, but it just seems weird to let it use the A/C.

Back from being banned for posting about DRIVING UNSAFELY!!!!! Gotta love pathetic new SA concern posting.

Anyway I just keep mine as fan only. I feel like in the Texas 100 degree heat I would just be putting tons of wear and tear on the compressor running it 10 hours a day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Back from being banned for posting about DRIVING UNSAFELY!!!!! Gotta love pathetic new SA concern posting.

You should take a hint and gently caress off, idiot.