Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That is delightful! Thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The packaging for the emporium is always great.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, Agnes feels like a real person in a way that, say, Victor Tugelbend really doesn't. Victor is a funny gag, but "he's so lazy that he spends hours in the gym working out so that he'll have huge muscles so that lifting heavy things won't be hard work" doesn't really work out to an actual person.

(I'm also the one who thinks Witches Abroad is pretty forgettable because Lilith's motivation doesn't make any sense at all.)

They don't feel like real people, but that's hardly the sole qualifier for a good character or even character trait. Victor working out because he's too lazy to be fat always stood out to me as a fun inversion, and I still remember that trait even 10/15 years since I read the book and after I'd forgotten the character's name. By the same token, Lilith isn't particularly real or deep as a character, but I do think she makes a fun villain for the story, which is mostly about Granny and Magrat anyway. I literally just finished re-reading it for the first time in years last night, and found her an enjoyable character who fit the story rather than having any great presence of her own (which is itself, rather fitting). She's a very small presence in the story overall, but she's pretty memorable regardless of her page count.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

In the bigger picture, Lilith plays a very important role. When Granny finally confronts her, she says this to Lilith, "Everyone has a path they got to tread. But because, and I wants you to understand this prop’ly, after you went; I had to be the Good One."

Try and imagine what the Discworld would be like if Granny got to be the bad one like she wanted.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's the Discworld, where narrativium is ultimately king; she'd have caused more damage and had more fun doing it, but she'd also have been taken down a lot faster by some storybook hero with a million to one chances of success because she was a lot more visibly bad.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lilith is very easy to understand; she’s what would have happened if Someone with Magrat’s inclinations was matched with Granny’s temperament and ability, and so never got beaten down by the world into something more tolerable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

In the bigger picture, Lilith plays a very important role. When Granny finally confronts her, she says this to Lilith, "Everyone has a path they got to tread. But because, and I wants you to understand this prop’ly, after you went; I had to be the Good One."

Try and imagine what the Discworld would be like if Granny got to be the bad one like she wanted.

I don't think that Granny wanted to be the Bad Witch. She's just saying that it's a lot harder to be good than to be evil, and because there had to be a Good Witch Lily laid that burden on her.

I believe that WA is the book where Granny thinks back on having had to judge a man who had killed several children while drunk. The rough quote is "He begged for mercy, saying it had all been done in alcohol. Sober, she replied: end it in hemp". Granny has to live with that judgement. Because you can enjoy yourself doing evil, and you can be sorry once it's done, but being good sometimes requires doing things that you hate and there is no possible expiation because you were right to do them. To be good is to live a life of regret.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hakkesshu posted:

I've listened to a handful of the old Discworld audiobooks and they were great but I've wanted to get the actual books for ages. So I decided to order them in bulk through the Emporium. I'm starting with the Death series and although I had to pay a bit extra in taxes (thanks Brexit) it was all worth it because the whole package was so delightful.

That’s really lovely, and makes me sad Bernard won’t be coming to the DWCon in August. :smith:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At one point in Witches Abroad Granny thinks to herself that the wages of sin are death, but so are the wages of virtue, and at least the wicked get to go home early on Fridays.

Witches Abroad is such an utterly wonderful book.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Honestly, I figure it wouldn't be that different.

If Granny got to do as she pleased, she'd just have isolated herself completely and drifted off into learning to Borrow and left humanity behind without a reason to care about it, or settled down with Ridicully. She doesn't want to rule, and can barely tolerate being in charge of the witches because it means they argue with her less.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
How is the book Dodger? Never heard of it before today.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

FPyat posted:

It's fine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FPyat posted:

I literally can't remember anything about it beyond the vaguest notion of the premise.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I literally can't remember anything about it beyond the vaguest notion of the premise.

Likewise, like I can just about remember that it exists - barely.

Nation, for me, falls into that category as well, and maybe Eric too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Long Earth is like that for me. I know it's multiple books but it just feels like the same thing repeated

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MisterBear posted:

Eric has the demon in charge of hell that's really into middle management and bureaucracy

if it doesn't have the "neuralger, a demon that shows up and has a headache at you" joke then oops, that's all I know about the entire book

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

MisterBear posted:

Nation was actually the first Pratchett book I ever picked up and read, and ended up loving it so much that I quickly made my way to Discworld soon after.

But when I tried Dodger - nothing. Got a chapter or two in, and absolutely could not get invested for the life of me.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eric has the demon in charge of hell that's really into middle management and bureaucracy

if it doesn't have the "neuralger, a demon that shows up and has a headache at you" joke then oops, that's all I know about the entire book

It also has Rincewind telling his ancestor not-Odysseus that yeah he'll make it home safe and sound. Only to then run into him later in hell where he's shouted at about how he left out all the poo poo he'd have to go through to get home.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MisterBear posted:

Nation, for me, falls into that category as well

This is baffling to me; while I agree that Dodger didn't make much of an impression, Nation is one of the best books Pratchett ever wrote. It's so good. It really feels like a culmination of all the more serious themes that Pratchett had been exploring for his entire career.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

It also has Rincewind telling his ancestor not-Odysseus that yeah he'll make it home safe and sound. Only to then run into him later in hell where he's shouted at about how he left out all the poo poo he'd have to go through to get home.

Lavaeolus, which is most droll.

"Lave" means "to wash", "aeolus" means "wind". So his name means "rinse wind".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Nation was actually the first Pratchett book I ever picked up and read, and ended up loving it so much that I quickly made my way to Discworld soon after.

But when I tried Dodger - nothing. Got a chapter or two in, and absolutely could not get invested for the life of me.

Nation is fantastic.

I think, besides Long Mars, that Dodger was the last Pratchett book I hadn’t read. I got about halfway through and quit reading. Unless you really like Dickens and the Victorian era I’m not sure how compelling it is in comparison to his Discworld equivalents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I always wondered why Terry chose to do Dodger as an actual standalone Dickens thing when it all would have slotted right into the Ankh-Morpork stories.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe he wanted a break.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Scaramouche posted:

The Long Earth is like that for me. I know it's multiple books but it just feels like the same thing repeated

I'm currently reading the third Long Earth book and it's... the long earth itself is a really good concept but there's just a bunch of characters that are there and things happen but none of it is really all that exciting for the scope of the idea? Things Just Happen and everyone involved is very competent or they're not, but serve as an object lesson.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I wasn't trying to start a comparison of which parts of Pratchett's work we find memorable, I was contrasting Dodger with pretty much everything else he wrote (excluding Strata, Science of Discworld and the Long Earth)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Long Earth is a great concept with a dull story and uncompelling characters slapped on top. I don’t think I even finished it, and I’ve read literally everything else TP wrote. Sally, Joshua, Lobsang, trolls, elves… didn’t care about any of it. Just wanted them to get out the way so the actually entertaining concept could be explored.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I always wondered why Terry chose to do Dodger as an actual standalone Dickens thing when it all would have slotted right into the Ankh-Morpork stories.

He originally planned it that way, but found that it didn't fit properly without the real Roundworld people and setting. It's also not a book about Dickens as much as it is about Dickens' friend Henry Mayhew, whose book London Labour and the London Poor is a very significant but mostly forgotten document of the times.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

https://m.soundcloud.com/penguin-books/the-colour-of-magic-by-terry-pratchett

Excerpt from the new TCOM audiobook. Can't say I'm keen.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't hire film actors to do voice acting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I believe that WA is the book where Granny thinks back on having had to judge a man who had killed several children while drunk. The rough quote is "He begged for mercy, saying it had all been done in alcohol. Sober, she replied: end it in hemp". Granny has to live with that judgement.

I find it kinda weird how his YA stuff is more nuanced about things like that. There's no way Tiffany Aching would have delivered that verdict.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Strange Cares posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't hire film actors to do voice acting.

I don't know, I've got several audiobooks read by film actors that are very good.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Devorum posted:

I don't know, I've got several audiobooks read by film actors that are very good.

They'd be better if they were read by voice actors

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Strange Cares posted:

They'd be better if they were read by voice actors

This is true up until the point you can recognize them by voice across media.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Alhazred posted:

I find it kinda weird how his YA stuff is more nuanced about things like that. There's no way Tiffany Aching would have delivered that verdict.

Tbf Granny Aching's approach to teaching the king's dog to never kill sheep again involved having a ewe repeatedly beat the poo poo out of it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strange Cares posted:

you just need good actors

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

you just need good actors

Exactly. Voice actors are better at voice acting, so hire them instead.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strange Cares posted:

Exactly. Voice actors are better at voice acting, so hire them instead.

good film actors can act with their voices too. if they couldn't then they wouldn't be good film actors

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ChubbyChecker posted:

good film actors can act with their voices too. if they couldn't then they wouldn't be good film actors

There's a difference between "incorporating your voice into your acting" and "acting using only your voice". They're very much separate disciples, even putting aside the argument of whether or not all good actors can act with their voice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The best actors can convey everything they need solely though eyebrows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

angerbeet posted:

The best actors can convey everything they need solely though eyebrows

Emilia Clarke truly is the best actor of her generation.