Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Could be down to the experimental settings toggle or something in the UCP. I'd suggest the mobile toggle, but I think that just blindly applies instead of checking for resolution/useragent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Lord Bude posted:

There are absolutely no other circumstances. It only happens when typing a post on Something awful (and apparently only when you have an AS Mac). It doesn’t happen when using the iPad app on MacOS.

What happens if you turn off the new buttons:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004668

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Safari has always been extremely inefficient at handling large text boxes full of content. Like if you have a textarea with a 100KB JSON blob in it, and you try to Cmd+F to search for something in it, Safari will chug like it's 1998; press a key, wait ten seconds for it to unwedge, press a key, etc. But Chrome can skip gaily around instantaneously.

It's for that reason more than any other I had to switch to Chrome for work a few years ago. It had been 20 years and Safari had never gotten any god drat better. Not going to whip up a test right now but I can't imagine they've decided anytime recently is the time to finally fix it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TraderStav posted:

That's really weird, I haven't had that happen at all. Typing out right now without it. What other circumstances does this bug show up?

Are you using an ARM MacBook? I had a 2017 Intel MacBook before this one and the input lag didn't happen.

Problem predates the new buttons and quite literally happens nowhere else on the internet but these dead gay forums in Safari. Pretty impressive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Are you using an ARM MacBook? I had a 2017 Intel MacBook before this one and the input lag didn't happen.

Problem predates the new buttons and quite literally happens nowhere else on the internet but these dead gay forums in Safari. Pretty impressive.

M1 Max MBP

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a straightforward way of doing a HDD health check for a drive set connected via Firewire? I'm doing a whole bunch of MiniDV capture in the future (I have like 100+ tapes to go through) and I have my deck hooked up to my Mac via an older G-RAID firewire drive I have, that's in 2x 1TB striped RAID configuration from memory. Should be enough storage for what I need right now, but I also don't really want an impending failure that could've been seen coming. I have offsite daily backups that I'll be running at least. The drive is fairly old (naturally, based on configuration) but it hasn't been used an absolute ton to my knowledge, so the hours and rewrites on them shouldn't be too bad but... striped RAID. I know.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MiniDV is like 30Mbit. Why wouldn't you reformat the drives into mirrored RAID?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I've seen the Safari input lag issue in text boxes for well over a decade. It's a weirdly old performance bug for a browser which prides itself on speed.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I bought a M1 8GB Mac mini and its been great beside VMWare Horizon mouse lag (still an Intel process) and Safari locking up on Facebook.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Can anyone recommend a desktop (m1) or mobile app that doesn't sell my data? Is MoneySpire any good? Anything else highly recommended? I have stocks/several bank accounts/401k/small business and keeping track of it all in my head and via multiple apps is exhausting sometimes lol.

e: going to try moneywiz https://www.wiz.money/

all these have such dumb names.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2022

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That looks good, have been looking for something that is not mint

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I also have the SA posting keyboard lag bug in Safari and glad I'm not the only one, it is supremely annoying

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine (2017 iMac on Mojave lol).

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The only infuriating thing with the forums + Safari on macOS for me is scroll position changing as content loads (looking at you, embedded tweets)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pzy posted:

The only infuriating thing with the forums + Safari on macOS for me is scroll position changing as content loads (looking at you, embedded tweets)

That's the one and only reason I had to switch to Chrome for SA. Safari's inability to hold the page location as tweets load finally drove me bugfuck.

It's a shame because Safari's swipe-to-navigate forward/back behavior is infinitely superior. I can just pull a page 90% of the way over the current one and reread a post I was reading, then put it back without actually fully navigating to the page! Not like Chrome where it does that stupid little finicky hover-thumb-deely-arrow thing that doesn't actually show you the page unless you commit to it!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just use the iPad awful app on your Mac if you have an AS mac. It’s great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Sorry in advance,is there a Plex thread? Ever since I upgraded to M1, Plex doesn’t recognize changes to the external drive I keep all my media on.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Fly Ricky posted:

Sorry in advance,is there a Plex thread? Ever since I upgraded to M1, Plex doesn’t recognize changes to the external drive I keep all my media on.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=237

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Lord Bude posted:

Just use the iPad awful app on your Mac if you have an AS mac. It’s great.

This is the way. Been using awful.app on an AS Mac since last October and it’s been a good experience.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Does the text scaling feature on the Awful app work? I tried it on my Mac Studio but stuff was too small and I don’t have access to that machine try and change it right now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a preexisting piece of software I can use to monitor changes in data from an API? Or would I need to build a custom solution?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a preexisting piece of software I can use to monitor changes in data from an API? Or would I need to build a custom solution?

If you can query the api with json, you could use postman to grab and analyze the response.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I guess I'm looking more for a dashboard type thing

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Last Chance posted:

Does the text scaling feature on the Awful app work? I tried it on my Mac Studio but stuff was too small and I don’t have access to that machine try and change it right now

It does; I have it set to 200% on my Apple studio display and the text is the perfect size.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kefkafloyd posted:

This is the way. Been using awful.app on an AS Mac since last October and it’s been a good experience.

Giving this a shot. So far so good! Not bad at all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just tried the Awful app again on AS Mac.The text scaling is good on the individual posts but the sidebar text size doesn’t change and I can’t read it very well :(

Getting old sucks

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Has anyone tried the Orion Browser?

Just been playing around with it and it seems like it might be all the benefits of Safari with Chrome and Firefox extension support.

Wondering if there's anything I need to be wary of too. Looks like it's built by a premium search engine company I've never heard of called Kagi

Edit: lol it has the same issue with anchoring SA threads with Tweets in that Safai does too

101 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 2, 2022

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Thank you!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know this browser might be super-niche, but I've been messing around with Mighty, a Chromium-based "cloud" browser. What's a cloud browser? Basically, you pay $35 a month and get access to a 2 Gbps fiber server with 8 vCPUs and 32GB of RAM. What does this mean, exactly? Well, if you work in app likes Figma, you're probably accustomed to your fans kicking on whenever you open a project. Mighty handles all of that rendering server-side, which means cloud-based collaboration tools are incredibly snappy and you fan won't even kick on. Mighty also has some pretty cool productivity features like integrated Google doc file searching, meeting notifications, and a nifty tab switcher/manager.

I'm not currently in a role professionally where I collaborate in Figma often, but I could totally see the $35 a month being justified if I was messing around in Figma all day - I was amazed at how fluid navigating around artboards was on Mighty compared to Safari/Firefox/Chrome. As we start to see more tools go all-in on browser-based experiences, I could totally see professionals considering Mighty - especially if you have an older laptop that can't handle modern cloud-based tools.

I'll definitely miss using Mighty when my trial is over.

edit: I also discovered an alternative to "Open In" called Choosy, which lets you select which browser you want to open a link with. The great thing about Choosy is it offers extensions on every browser to easily volley a link over to a different browser. Great for QA/webdev work!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 4, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

MiniDV is like 30Mbit. Why wouldn't you reformat the drives into mirrored RAID?

Sorry I’ve been away for a few days and forgot I made this post, I think the raid architecture is set in place and controlled by the drive and no way to override it. I’ll have to look up a manual as I only ever got the unit when I bought it, but there’s no dip switches or anything on the back.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

What’s figma

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

What’s figma

Looks like a collaboration platform for design and marketing stuff: https://www.figma.com

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dancing Peasant posted:

What’s figma

figma rear end, thank you very much

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
dang safari sucks

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Looks like a collaboration platform for design and marketing stuff: https://www.figma.com

Yep, it's a UI/UX program that has been gaining in popularity due to its flexibility as a collaborative artboard space and mobile-friendliness. You can mock up an interactive prototype in a couple hours with it and have it in clients hands with a simple link. We used it all the time when I went to grad school for UI/UX - I even use it to put together presentations and slide decks. Lots of people use it as a personal kanban, as well.

With apps like Adobe Creative Suite going all-in on cloud-based tools, it will be interesting to see more server-side solutions. I've got a 100 TB Unraid server sitting on my home network - I'd love to be able to load up my own server-assisted browser on an iPad or MacBook Air that takes advantage of that power sitting in my giant tower case at home. I'd heavily consider subscribing to Mighty if it was under $20 a month.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 4, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

barkbell posted:

dang safari sucks

The sad thing is that it'll be rock solid for some websites for a certain period of time, and then they'll issue an update that makes it fall flat on its face

And then when hundreds of people complain about it they either blame the websites or eventually fix it in another version, by which time they force users to switch to Chrome or another browser.

The only time they ever seem to care about the complaints is when they involve Office365, and they document the fix, everything else literally languishes in crashiness until people just switch away

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just had an example happen to me, when I was accessing the http version of the EdgeRouter X tools, it worked great until the latest revision of Safari and now it has a dashboard that won't update.. Firefox runs it just fine though

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Still enjoying Firefox after switching away from Chrome a few weeks ago - they provide https always-on through Cloudflare without an extension, and keywords for my bookmarks for work and personal links saves me so much time. It's nice supporting somebody other than Google, as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

barkbell posted:

dang safari sucks
I can't remember how many years it's been since iCloud tabs actually synced properly. It used to sync instantly and seamlessly (for me at least) and it was one of the top three things (next to good battery/memory usage and the pain of non-Apple default on iOS) keeping me using Safari. Now I have to spend half an hour every week AirDropping all my open iPhone tabs to my laptop so I can read them or print them to PDF or whatever, and it's just a loving pain.

I also still have to do this ridiculous dance every two days or so to get iCloud Drive to actually sync. It's absolutely astonishing to me how Apple can never, ever, ever get any of its cloud services working reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

All of Apple’s cloud stuff works great for me. I’ve noticed that sort of inconsistency user to user though for sure. At least on the forums.