Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The plastic case 351 series are very sturdy and light, honestly don't why anyone would bother with the metal. My purple 351p is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.pcgamer.com/aokzoe-ai-is-the-next-steam-deck-competitor-powered-by-amd-6800u/

Those are some DREADFUL looking sticks and buttons

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CFox posted:

I'd put my vote in for the V, the MP is just way too heavy for something you're wanting to hold for potentially an hour or two at a time.

Gotta be honest, I have a 350M and never understood this, it's heavier than a plastic one but it's still far from heavy, and the balance of the weight is fine.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
So I went with the 351MP. It seems to have the stuff best suited to me.

WiFi stuff wasn't super important because I plan to get a steam deck soon and can play with my partner on theirs. So adding a little dongle onto mine doesn't seem too bad, even if I have to shell out for the 5g. I have no idea if I can play anything with her on her steamdeck. Guess that'll be a surprise

Honestly these all seemed like good bang for buck. Seeing as I don't have a PC and can't really get roms, I'm a little trapped in that regard. But it sounds like whatever comes on the device's included card is "good enough" and I'll worry about firmware and stuff down the road, I guess.

Thanks thread. Thranks

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Bear in mind most of the complaints about these consoles being too heavy are coming from Rick Moranis' kids.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Is that a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids joke?

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

otter posted:

Is that a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids joke?
Yup and a good one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

beer gas canister posted:

The plastic case 351 series are very sturdy and light, honestly don't why anyone would bother with the metal. My purple 351p is :discourse:

I kinda regret not getting the purple 351p. My plain black one is so boring now that I have thing for COLORS in my hardware (after getting neon orange/purple joycons and a purple xbox controller). I'm planning on doing a SNES style button swap on my 351p in the future to add some color to it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This is probably asking a lot of these cheaper units, but seeing it stream Uncharted...is there a way I can stream FFXIV from a PS5? Lol. (Right now I am nearing the trigger on the 351M although the crappier resolution is killing me decision- wise.)

edit: I mean mp

After some fenagling, I was able to successfully play FFXIV streaming from my PC to my RP2+! UI was kind of fucky, but it was certainly playable. Not sure if it's possible to stream it from a PS5?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

CodfishCartographer posted:

After some fenagling, I was able to successfully play FFXIV streaming from my PC to my RP2+! UI was kind of fucky, but it was certainly playable. Not sure if it's possible to stream it from a PS5?

It is. You need to install this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=psplay.grill.com&gl=US

Setting it up can be a little bit of a pain in the rear end.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Nah, don't shell out $6 to some guy named Florian. The official version is free and works the same, right? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playstation.remoteplay

It works...ok I guess.i used to use it with my super crappy tablet. Of course you have to tweak FFXIV's UI super hard, unless you are playing for a crowd of ants. Fortunately the game lets you make multiple UI profiles but depending on the WiFi can be a spotty proposition .

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any good guides/resources for what you can do with the Anbernic 351-series in the year 2022? I am dumb at computers and don't really have one and I don't want to clog this fine thread with dumb questions if I don't have to. I also have pms. Namaste

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Nah, don't shell out $6 to some guy named Florian. The official version is free and works the same, right? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playstation.remoteplay

It works...ok I guess.i used to use it with my super crappy tablet. Of course you have to tweak FFXIV's UI super hard, unless you are playing for a crowd of ants. Fortunately the game lets you make multiple UI profiles but depending on the WiFi can be a spotty proposition .

The official version won’t work with any controller but a DualShock 4 or DualSense I believe, which is why the third party one exists.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anyone have any good guides/resources for what you can do with the Anbernic 351-series in the year 2022? I am dumb at computers and don't really have one and I don't want to clog this fine thread with dumb questions if I don't have to. I also have pms. Namaste

With those handhelds the easy answer is “install the latest version of AmberElec.” It’s been tweaked to be very good out of the box but places like RetroGameCorps have neat startup guides for making changes on YouTube.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

njsykora posted:

The official version won’t work with any controller but a DualShock 4 or DualSense I believe, which is why the third party one exists.

This is exactly it, yeah. You can install the official one but you can't control anything.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

With those handhelds the easy answer is “install the latest version of AmberElec.” It’s been tweaked to be very good out of the box but places like RetroGameCorps have neat startup guides for making changes on YouTube.

Cool, I was actually gonna ask. I know there is a ton of OS/UI thingies to try, like OnionOS, and...some other ones. I'll load it up with that one, though

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, is there a a recommended 512 gb SD card for this hobby? I've heard there may be some issues with the larger GB size ones and wanted to run it by the goon hive-mind before slapping down some cash. I've really enjoyed having an extensive library, but I've run out of room on my current card, and realized I'd need a massive card to fit in everything.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
AFAIK the only issue with card size is getting it formatted as FAT32 so devices will recognize it properly, which on Windows requires software like guiformat. Make sure you buy a brand name card from a reputable seller to avoid counterfeits and run h2testw to make sure it's real if you have any doubt.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ayn announced another handheld. Loki Zero, $200 preorder, 3050e Athlon.

No, they still haven't managed to ship an Odin Lite yet.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/loki-zero-preorder

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sethsez posted:

Ayn announced another handheld. Loki Zero, $200 preorder, 3050e Athlon.

No, they still haven't managed to ship an Odin Lite yet.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/loki-zero-preorder

Apparently they started shipping them literally today hahaha
E: There are so many different skus between Ayn and Aya that its making me care less and just keep waiting for the deck.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ChiTownEddie posted:

Apparently they started shipping them literally today hahaha
E: There are so many different skus between Ayn and Aya that its making me care less and just keep waiting for the deck.

Yep, looks like they managed to ship a few dozen. That's... progress?

It's annoying how every powerful handheld at the moment either involves a months-long waiting list or a questionable preorder process.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sethsez posted:

Yep, looks like they managed to ship a few dozen. That's... progress?

It's annoying how every powerful handheld at the moment either involves a months-long waiting list or a questionable preorder process.

Well, the chip shortage is a real thing and will not improve until 2024 at the earliest. It might even get more constricted in the near future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At least the ultra power handhelds with the 6800U are going to be super capable. Taki did a video on its performance in an thin laptop.
https://youtu.be/7o1xElylk5k

Though for gently caress sake Youtubers need to learn what a like for like benchmark is and stop constantly changing settings. Also stop only showing early game gameplay, I’m sure y’all can figure out how to maintain a save in a demanding area for device benchmarks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone interested in a 351p before I post it on SA-Mart? thinking $80 shipped with no SD card but with the wireless dongle

Let me know!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

would an RP2+ be a decent game pass cloud device, or would that be that a fool's errand?

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

would an RP2+ be a decent game pass cloud device, or would that be that a fool's errand?

I know I'm gonna sound like a goddamn psychopath when I say this, but I got an Odroid Go Super specifically for streaming and it's been pretty great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Probably not imo - the RP2+ is fine for PS2 /GC games and earlier because devs hadn't fully figured out 3d controls yet. It's kind of crap for more modern control schemes - no L3/R3 and a subpar right analog being the standout issues.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Is there a go-to option for up to snes/megadrive, maybe a little N64?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mrenda posted:

Is there a go-to option for up to snes/megadrive, maybe a little N64?

Miyoo Mini if you don't mind "no" N64, 351 series or RP2+ otherwise

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does emulation for the original Xbox exist at all? I don't think I've seen any of these handheld testing videos ever mention it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

Does emulation for the original Xbox exist at all? I don't think I've seen any of these handheld testing videos ever mention it.

It absolutely does, but Im assuming not as much demand and its an even more powerful system

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Vakal posted:

Yes, but only for x86 based systems currently. Not sure if the current plans for Batocera on the Odin include XBox, but even if it compiles for ARM, I’m guessing performance won’t be great.

But if you got a Steam Deck or one of the other portable PC-type devices, sure.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Photex posted:

Anyone interested in a 351p before I post it on SA-Mart? thinking $80 shipped with no SD card but with the wireless dongle

Let me know!

just for public info, Otter reached out to me about this!

edit: sold this to Otter

Photex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 2, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

It absolutely does, but Im assuming not as much demand and its an even more powerful system

That's interesting. I would have assumed that it would be easier to do since the Xbox didn't have a funky processor like the PS2's cell.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It should be, I think it's just a lack of demand. I was very surprised a couple of months ago when I wanted to play The Suffering and the ps2 version ran better

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Probably not imo - the RP2+ is fine for PS2 /GC games and earlier because devs hadn't fully figured out 3d controls yet. It's kind of crap for more modern control schemes - no L3/R3 and a subpar right analog being the standout issues.

noted! Thanks

pig labeled 3 posted:

I know I'm gonna sound like a goddamn psychopath when I say this, but I got an Odroid Go Super specifically for streaming and it's been pretty great.

I will investigate this

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Vakal posted:

That's interesting. I would have assumed that it would be easier to do since the Xbox didn't have a funky processor like the PS2's cell.

By the time the Xbox came around, lots of AAA titles were ported to other systems and PC. There’s less demand for Xbox titles so the emulator doesn’t have much development.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

PS3 had the cell, PS2 had the "emotion engine".

That said it really is there are very few Xbox exclusive games that also didn't get PC releases and aren't back compatible in 4k now so why struggle mightily for that. Like if I want Breakdown (a stone cold classic), or Phantom Dust, or Otogi I can play them right now in better quality than any emulator on the market.

So that leaves like, JSRF to be a title only accessible by emulation so theres just not much interest.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I will investigate this

Couple notes to help you make a decision.
- The wide screen is awesome for streaming
- Moonlight exists on most OS's and works great
- There's an Android OS that works, but it's a bit finnicky. I haven't tried it much but RGC suggests it's great for streaming apps.
- Ignore all negative comments about the thumb sticks from earlier reviews. They aren't vita sticks anymore with newer models, but rather Switch-like sticks but without the ability to click them.
- L3 and R3 are mapped to the function buttons. Some games need some minor remapping, but it's not a big deal in my experience.
- I got the thing for dirt cheap off AmeriDroid, but the first thing anyone will want to do is pop the unit open and reinforce the shoulder buttons with hot glue, as they WILL be the first things to break.

I realize it's not right for everyone, but if you're looking for a lower-cost unit with a wider aspect ratio, I think it's worth a thought. I've been streaming Tunic on it recently and it's basically perfect for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

PS3 had the cell, PS2 had the "emotion engine".

That said it really is there are very few Xbox exclusive games that also didn't get PC releases and aren't back compatible in 4k now so why struggle mightily for that. Like if I want Breakdown (a stone cold classic), or Phantom Dust, or Otogi I can play them right now in better quality than any emulator on the market.

So that leaves like, JSRF to be a title only accessible by emulation so theres just not much interest.

There's a small handful of great Xbox exclusives that have never gotten away, JSRF, Gun Valkyrie (admittedly stretching the definition of great), the Rallisport Challenge games and the early Forza games. It is still a small batch though, and Xemu is a bit picky about what disc images it'll accept.