Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Apocron posted:

So you don’t have to dilute it or anything? Seems like it’s worth a shot! Just buy a wet palette, some small brushes, a set of this and get started?

I would really surprised if you didn't need to thin it to at least some degree. I've not had much success in having my wet palette be enough to thin my paints, and I'm fairly sure I'm using it correctly. Just mixing in some water with your brush or from a tiny eye dropper will do. Or, investing in some paint medium.

I fill like if you begin painting with this set and learn to make new color via mixing you'll have a sorta big leg up on all the guys (me) who just bespoke pots for each color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I think the wet palette sponge or temperature may have an effect on whether the palette itself will thin paints. I have a small army painter wet palette, and lately everything has been coming off really watery from it, even without manually diluting.

As an aside, would dark purple work well for alpha legion cloaks? The glossy nature of the armor makes it hard to judge these things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah ambient humidity might do it too, I live in Vancouver which is, well, kinda damp most of the time. If I want some really thin paint then yeah I need to add a little bit of water on top of the palette but for just general painting it's good enough to drag on the palette paper. Liquitex's Acrylic Gouache basically acts just like Vallejo paint.

Here are some WIP Guardians I've been working on. The paints in the back are all I used aside from some blue for the eyes and turquoise for the dangling cloth. One's a little yellower than the other because I went brighter in the shading with the Yellow Oxide + Unbleached Titanium mix but as you can see you can get a lot of colour going with what is basically Red, Yellow and Off White. I'm not an amazing painter so you can see the brush strokes from my layering but I decided to lean into it and let it look a little painted by hand rather than the hyper smooth airbrush blends a lot of people go for.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It seems like all the stuff in the OP is from 2015/2016. I don't suppose there's some updated resources for what would be a good youtube intro series to painting?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Apocron posted:

I just bought Marvel Crisis Protocol core and would like to buy some paints but I'm in Japan and the hobby paint section of the large store I went into was mostly focused on painting mecha models. As such they had Tamiya, Mr Hobby/Color, Gaianotes, GodHand and V Color products. Would any of these work or are there any other Japanese paints I could try? Or are they all pretty bad for beginners and I should look to import paints or look for a more niche hobby shop?

Can confirm that especially in Tokyo it's pretty easy to find a Warhammer store (I think they've got 4 or 5, plus a Warhammer Cafe opening up soon), but also over the past 5 years or so GW has been making a push into chain stores with hobby sections and some of the bigger Gundam-oriented chains. Yodobashi Camera will often have a Citadel paint rack in their toy and hobby section, and if you can find a Joshin near you they ought to carry Citadel. For Vallejo there's a chain called Volk's that carries creepy ball-joint dolls, anime figures, military models, and Vallejo. (This is all assuming you want the reliability of big-brand miniature-painting acrylics and the ability to buy something in person in a store, naturally.)

If you're out in the sticks you may still be in luck thanks to that hobby shop push. I used to go to a shipping-container sized hobby shop out in the sticks in Gifu that still had a comprehensive Citadel rack.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If you're in Japan and have access to Tamiya/Me Hobby stuff at the regional pricing, then that's a gold mine of great hobby supplies.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wanna get some of the tamiya panel line stuff

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wanna get some of the tamiya panel line stuff

Go grab it! Great stuff, and I love that it it has a brush on the cap. Carried at just about any and every online/offline hobby shop in the world. Just make sure you have some enamel/lacquer thinner for cleanup, since you'll usually get a small dot where you initially touched the brush to the panel line.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do the new contrast paints come out tomorrow or next wee

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Acrylic gouache is awesome, highly recommend it. Painted these back when I was still learning using just CMYK liquitex acrylic gouache.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You can thin Tamiya acrylic with water. It's not gonna explode. Just the other day I used Tamiya flat red + Liquitex glaze medium + water to make a glaze for 8 preshaded dudes.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Go grab it! Great stuff, and I love that it it has a brush on the cap. Carried at just about any and every online/offline hobby shop in the world. Just make sure you have some enamel/lacquer thinner for cleanup, since you'll usually get a small dot where you initially touched the brush to the panel line.

How is it different from a wash? I was just in a hobby shop run by an old lady in Korea and was about to pick some up. Ended up getting a ton of the Tamiya Weathering Master stuff instead.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wrr posted:

How is it different from a wash? I was just in a hobby shop run by an old lady in Korea and was about to pick some up. Ended up getting a ton of the Tamiya Weathering Master stuff instead.

It's not particularly different, but most bottled washes tend to be acrylic, at least for minis. The panel liners from Tamiya are enamels, and it only comes in three colors (black, brown, grey). Enamels are just a lot simpler for panel lining, since you don't have to work quick like you do with acrylics. You could panel line an entire tank, and then come back after to do cleanup with some thinner. With acrylics, you can really only do a small handful of lines at a time, before you have to do cleanup with water before they become immovable.

And you could certainly mix your own enamel or oil wash for panel-lining, but it's nice to have a product ready to go right out of the bottle with brush included.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

ijyt posted:

If you're in Japan and have access to Tamiya/Me Hobby stuff at the regional pricing, then that's a gold mine of great hobby supplies.

That’s what I thought. The prices all looked super cheap to me but I just don’t think there’s much stuff about how to use the stuff effectively for miniature painting. But maybe that’s just me wanting someone to hold my hand and I should be a bit more adventurous.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Apocron posted:

That’s what I thought. The prices all looked super cheap to me but I just don’t think there’s much stuff about how to use the stuff effectively for miniature painting. But maybe that’s just me wanting someone to hold my hand and I should be a bit more adventurous.

Did they have Mr. Hobby Acrysion? (not their regular or Aqueous line)

Those are relatively new all-water and acrylic paints from them, so it would be like using Vallejo or GW paints. Pretty much all miniature painting tutorials are with water-based acrylics unless they say otherwise.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Apocron posted:

I should be a bit more adventurous.

"You will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up"

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Lumpy posted:

"You will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up"

Hey, speaking of which, I got my first airbrush. It is one of those portable deals so I can take it outside. My friend had a good experience with this one, but we will see.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bored Online posted:

Hey, speaking of which, I got my first airbrush. It is one of those portable deals so I can take it outside. My friend had a good experience with this one, but we will see.

Portable how? Is it hooked up to a CO2 tank, or one of those ones that attaches to a spray canister of propellant?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Portable how? Is it hooked up to a CO2 tank, or one of those ones that attaches to a spray canister of propellant?

It has a portable battery powered compressor attached to it that is the size of two vape rigs duct taped together.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I found the portable air compressor ones to have really low air pressure but your mileage may vary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Cross post from the 30k thread. Figuring out a good metallic blue technique was a lot of trial and error

Count Thrashula posted:

Finally dialed in my Alpha Legion blue. It's a bit more greenish in person, but I couldn't get that to come through in pictures.

Now I desperately need some transfers....

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Count Thrashula posted:

Cross post from the 30k thread. Figuring out a good metallic blue technique was a lot of trial and error

You do need transfers ! It looks great so far, although with a blue model I'd be hard pressed to not put red tips on the missiles.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

You do need transfers ! It looks great so far, although with a blue model I'd be hard pressed to not put red tips on the missiles.

Oooh red tips is a great idea, that'd complement really well.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Finished my Imperial Fists version of Armor Through the Ages:

Doing Blood Angels next:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looking great! If you run out of legions and are still eager for more I’d love to see mine done!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Loden Taylor posted:

Doing Blood Angels next:

These are amazing, can't wait to see more

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Doing Blood Angels next:

That is so fuckin cool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's some smooth lookin' yellow

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
What should I buy to paint a couple D&D minis? The campaign I'm DMing will finish up in a couple months and I want to paint minis for the final fight. Should I get the Vallejo game color paint set? Or would the army painter speedpaint starter set be better for a new painter? And are sets even worth it? Or should I pick up a handful of a few different things?

I did some painting years ago, but never was any good and my paints are all gone after a few moves.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

anchorite posted:

What should I buy to paint a couple D&D minis? The campaign I'm DMing will finish up in a couple months and I want to paint minis for the final fight. Should I get the Vallejo game color paint set? Or would the army painter speedpaint starter set be better for a new painter? And are sets even worth it? Or should I pick up a handful of a few different things?

I did some painting years ago, but never was any good and my paints are all gone after a few moves.

Often paint sets are a trap, unless it’s a very small set. It’s usually better, especially if you have a store nearby, to get a few basic paints and then buy more when you end up really needing them.

I have not tested army painters quick paints yet, but I’ve heard good things about them. If I were painting for DMing, where you often want to paint up several minis and monsters and stuff, I think a quick painting system makes a lot of sense. Then you can focus first on making them table ready, and later on go back and pick out details if you want to.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Starting off at level 1 as grey plastic and adding a layer of detail with every level up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

anchorite posted:

I love speedpaints and contrast paints (GWs equivalent) but personally wouldnt recommend them for absolute beginners tbh because they have their own idiosyncrasies and crucially are comparitively difficult to fix mistakes with. Once you've got decent brush control and can put paint where you want it to go 90% of the time they're a great tool, but for a learner you are potentially making your life more difficult. You get regular blue acrylic on a figures regular acryilic red shirt, you can fix it. Get blue speedpaint on a red speedpaint shirt and its kind of a hassle to sort. Again, one mans opinion, some people disagree, and you said you have at least some painting experience.

I'd recommend getting a few basic colours and a black or dark brown wash (agrax earthshade from GW is fine, strong tone from army painter is fine, whatever). If you want to buy a starter set, you can, but I always say to count the paints in the set you will definitely use in the next month or so, then divide the cost of the box by the number of paints you'll definitely use. If it comes out as cheaper than buying those particular paints individually then youre good, otherwise you'd be better off buying the paints a la carte. Some paint kits come with extra stuff (paintbrushes, tools, a mini, whatever), dont count them in the value proposition as they tend to be kind of cheap. I mean, useable, a nice bonus and all, but not worth swaying your decision for. There are some decent, to me, starter sets out there, but that doesnt mean they would be decent to you. For example if a starter set has a lot of human skin tones in it, but you are specifically going to be painting orcs and zombies, thats not so useful. If your campaign finale is going to be the battle of a million skeletons you only really need an ivory and a sepia wash. Actually "Its mainly going to be skeletons" is one of the cases where I actually would recommend a speedpaint/contrast paint to a beginner, because gently caress it, its 90% bone, how bad can it go.

You can go a long way towards a good tabletop standard with a cheap brush or two, a handful of colours and a dark wash (theres a reason people sometimes refer to wash as "liquid skill"), basecoat, wash then drybrush. Once you've got a grip of that (and presuming you enjoy it and want to do more) you can branch out.

Brand of paint is frankly down to personal preference. We all have our own paint preferences and prejudices, but realistically they're all at least fine, with some good paints and some not so good paints in every range. Vallejo are generally agreed to be pretty good overall, so if thats what your local hobby shop sells you can absolutely go with those.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If I was starting over with brands I would probably stick to vallejo game and model color. GW has some great colors but the main benefit is how many tutorials out there use specific GW paints, and for that luxury you pay a ton more per volume over vallejo. But these days most of my go-to recipes use GW colors.

It’s all a matter of preference especially if you don’t need to be thrifty, but that’s what occurred to me recently

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If your goal is to just produce some playable miniatures quickly, it's hard to go wrong with a rattle can of whiteish spray (Wraithbone, the new pure white spray from Citadel) and some contrast paints to just paint over the areas. It's minimal effort, super easy, and produces miniatures that are very much good enough.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

anchorite posted:

If it's just a few D&D minis, like the D&D branded ones, they come pre primed. Reaper MSP starter set is cheap and decent, or if youre only doing a few models just grab a few colors you're gonna use, brand won't matter much.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If I had no paints and a handful of D&D minis to paint at the moment, I would get the Army Painter Warpaints: Starter Paint Set and do everyone in full technicolor cartoon style.

But that's because I'm really digging that old "Games Workshop red period" look at the moment in general. :v:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of Tamiya, Clear Red will do for gold what Streaking Grime / gunky oil washes do for grimdark. I havent tried other Clear colors for different metals, but the enamel/oil 'wash and remove' technique can be used for much more than gunking things up. Tamiya Clear is the secret sauce for making metallics look awesome in my opinion. Rather than dimming/matting the metal it adds depths and shininess.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PederP posted:

Speaking of Tamiya, Clear Red will do for gold what Streaking Grime / gunky oil washes do for grimdark. I havent tried other Clear colors for different metals, but the enamel/oil 'wash and remove' technique can be used for much more than gunking things up. Tamiya Clear is the secret sauce for making metallics look awesome in my opinion. Rather than dimming/matting the metal it adds depths and shininess.

Have you got any examples?I have a desire to learn more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mortimer Knag posted:

If it's just a few D&D minis, like the D&D branded ones, they come pre primed. Reaper MSP starter set is cheap and decent, or if youre only doing a few models just grab a few colors you're gonna use, brand won't matter much.

I just painted a couple pre primed models and wasn’t super impressed by the primer, which reacted more like unwashed plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Professor Shark posted:

Looking great! If you run out of legions and are still eager for more I’d love to see mine done!

GW should feel bad that they haven't already done this for all 20 18. It's an amazing project.