Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Which used Prius is a good one to get? There’s a zillion models lol

Name 4 models of a Prius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Name 4 models of a Prius

The regular one, the PHEV one, the one with the extra large rear end and the subcompact one.

Edit: I forgot about the Gazoo Racing one. No I'm not joking.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 2, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Prius one Prius two Prius three Prius four

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're all good. There's an eAWD model too. Not sure if that counts as a separate model.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s down to a Prius or a dodge minivan with stow an go and tow package. The van looks pretty sick tbh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrox posted:

Name 4 models of a Prius
Did you forget about the Prius C and Prius V line?

Yeah, searching for Prius on something like Cars.Com is a bit of a cluster gently caress

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
All priuses are fine except the 1st gen (the one that doesn't look like a prius). The prius c isn't really as good either, but it's fine if you like it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Prius with ground clearance would be nice

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s a rav4 hybrid

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Most popular car in amedica rn

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we moved recently and I remember driving through the automotive district thinking "wow loving nobody has cars right now to sell, wild"

Today drove car back from the shop, new car lots are still scarce, but all the used car lots seem to be overflowing now

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DNK posted:

That’s a rav4 hybrid

I looked at car max in my area and 10 of 12 rav4 hybrids available are 2021 models.

Did the new model suck rear end or something?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So we moved recently and I remember driving through the automotive district thinking "wow loving nobody has cars right now to sell, wild"

Today drove car back from the shop, new car lots are still scarce, but all the used car lots seem to be overflowing now

time for prices to plummet and half of recent new car buyers to go underwater on their loans overnight

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ethanol posted:

time for prices to plummet and half of recent new car buyers to go underwater on their loans overnight

Always has been.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hadlock posted:

There are always cars to buy, but at what price? Inventory is overflowing because people aren't willing to pay double of what those prices were 2 years ago. Some do, of course. But interest rates are climbing, and that is also a factor.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 2, 2022

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

There are Prius lift kits available.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not super helpful right now because American free market capitalism can't actually supply the people with anything but in theory you've been able to get a Corolla hybrid for a year or two, which is mechanically basically the same as a Prius but in a more boring looking package and I think a bit cheaper.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

There are always cars to buy, but at what price? Inventory is overflowing because people aren't willing to pay double of what those prices were 2 years ago. Some do, of course. But interest rates are climbing, and that is also a factor.

If nobody is buying the cars then why aren’t prices coming down ?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tyro posted:

There are Prius lift kits available.

There are some fun image results of this. I would love to get a total 7+ inch clearance and continually blast limp bizkit while I head up the mountain. We simply must keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Another option is prices stop going up

Although on the same drive I saw the local McDonald's had finally started advertising $13/hr for "second shift" which wasn't there before

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A MIRACLE posted:

Prius one Prius two Prius three Prius four

those are trim levels not different models

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

If nobody is buying the cars then why aren’t prices coming down ?

Because dealers overpaid for them and it takes a few months for non-moving inventory accounting rules to kick in and trigger accruals / write-offs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GR Prius when?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

There are some fun image results of this. I would love to get a total 7+ inch clearance and continually blast limp bizkit while I head up the mountain. We simply must keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’

https://priusoffroad.com/products/ols/categories/prius-lift-kit

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
There are a bunch of dumb loving brodozers in my parking lot at work and I almost bought a Prius to lift ironically, before I decided on my Volt.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, we went to a Mazda dealership, and despite being fun, really nice, and specifically what she requested, the CX30 is off the table. I made the mistake of parking too near our Scion xA and the scales had fallen from the missus' eyes, seeing that a CX30 really isn't a big vehicle compared to the "tiny" car she was replacing. So, she decided that a CUV was a stupid plan and that we should look for the most practical thing for her very driving heavy job, instead of what would be the most practical thing 5 years from now

In short, because the Prius is ugly, hybrid sedans are now the word of the day. Specifically the Insight and Corolla hybrid, but should we be considering Hyundai hybrids? I know that the brand has gotten so much better over the years, but I have trouble letting go of the distrust of Kia/Hyundai cars that I gained over my formative years. And I really don't want to have a car that will leave her stranded somewhere or always needs repairs

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how does a sedan with less space solve your space problem

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

and the scales had fallen from the missus' eyes, seeing that a CX30 really isn't a big vehicle compared to the "tiny" car she was replacing. So, she decided that a CUV was a stupid plan and that we should look for the most practical thing for her very driving heavy job, instead of what would be the most practical thing 5 years from now

In short, because the Prius is ugly, hybrid sedans are now the word of the day. Specifically the Insight and Corolla hybrid, but should we be considering Hyundai hybrids?

I would figure out exactly what your budget is, and what % your wife is gonna pay out of that, and then make a list of cars that fit that price range, then go look at the largest vehicles that are $3000 less than that, so you can buy upgrades and stay in budget. Also maybe just go to a carmax and wander the lot for like an hour to get a feel for what size cars exist, and what you get for your dollar these days. There's huge time-value in just wandering used car lots and looking at what's available and acclimating to what things cost and how big a car you can get for that size

Hyundai offers a 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on their hybrids so that's cool

Also *taps future thread title* nobody ever got divorced for buying a rav4 hybrid

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

how does a sedan with less space solve your space problem

By buying whatever the hell his wife wants. Because she doesn't know, and is being repeatedly asked for criteria to try to min-max this experience because beep-boop emotional car buying does not compute.

She wants to make an emotional purchase. She wants to love the vehicle, whatever it is. As long as that is within budget and some sanity guidelines that it is fit for realistic purpose it's best to just let her get what she actually wants.

As has been mentioned before, my wife drives a 200 series Land Cruiser. Because she really needs a 5.7l V8 on a truck platform to get to the grocery store and back and the occasional beach trip. But it makes her happy, it's within budget, it's fit for purpose of what it does for the most part. We take something else when we're going somewhere like a city where we'd need to park.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 2, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

Well, we went to a Mazda dealership, and despite being fun, really nice, and specifically what she requested, the CX30 is off the table. I made the mistake of parking too near our Scion xA and the scales had fallen from the missus' eyes, seeing that a CX30 really isn't a big vehicle compared to the "tiny" car she was replacing. So, she decided that a CUV was a stupid plan and that we should look for the most practical thing for her very driving heavy job, instead of what would be the most practical thing 5 years from now

In short, because the Prius is ugly, hybrid sedans are now the word of the day. Specifically the Insight and Corolla hybrid, but should we be considering Hyundai hybrids? I know that the brand has gotten so much better over the years, but I have trouble letting go of the distrust of Kia/Hyundai cars that I gained over my formative years. And I really don't want to have a car that will leave her stranded somewhere or always needs repairs

Hyundai / Kia haven't quite earned their way out of a negative reputation yet, in my eyes (despite my username). Class action lawsuits on oil consumption, big engine recalls, etc. I mean recalls are nothing new, Toyota has them, Subaru has them, etc. So use your judgment. That being said the latest Sonata has decent reliability marks on Consumer Reports, but shorter term vs longer term is hard to predict.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Motronic posted:

By buying whatever the hell his wife wants. Because she doesn't know, and is being repeatedly asked for criteria to try to min-max this experience because beep-boop emotional car buying does not compute.

She wants to make an emotional purchase. She wants to love the vehicle, whatever it is. As long as that is within budget and some sanity guidelines that it is fit for realistic purpose it's best to just let her get what she actually wants.

As has been mentioned before, my wife drives a 200 series Land Cruiser. Because she really needs a 5.7l V8 on a truck platform to get to the grocery store and back and the occasional beach trip. But it makes her happy, it's within budget, it's fit for purpose of what it does for the most part. We take something else when we're going somewhere like a city where we'd need to park.

:emptyquote:

I'm just here to help her buy the first car that she actually wants to buy for herself

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

:emptyquote:

I'm just here to help her buy the first car that she actually wants to buy for herself

Hyundais and Kias are now good(TM) so feel free to try them if she likes them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I sat Ina CX-5 today and despite getting a clearly bigger car than the CX-30 I felt like I was hitting my head on the roof.
I also sat Ina CX-30 and it seems fine.
The dealership also had a used NX on the lot and I made the mistake of sitting in it. Because now I want it but it's outside my budget. Expect some motivated reasoning in the next follow-up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KillHour posted:

Kia changed their logo and for months I thought KN was a new car brand when someone at my apartment building bought one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

This always amuses me in this thread. Everyone comes in saying reliability and MPG are the top two requirements and then they wonder why the answer is always "how much Prius can you afford".

It's okay to have reasons to buy a vehicle other than minimizing expenses!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KillHour posted:

Are mostly good now. I still have nightmares about the seven different shades of beige plastic in the center console of my most recent rental sonata. A functionally fine, utterly joyless car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The good news is that there really aren’t any truly bad cars being built, except Mitsubishis, so just let your wife buy whatever the gently caress she wants within budget.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

JohnCompany posted:

Are mostly good now. I still have nightmares about the seven different shades of beige plastic in the center console of my most recent rental sonata. A functionally fine, utterly joyless car.

The Sonata's design seems to alternate between boring and weird every successive generation, so I'm guessing this was the last gen because the current gen definitely falls into the "weird" category (I think in a good way but also I can't unsee the catfish)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JohnCompany posted:

This is the rental car curse, that the crappiest config of a car will ruin the marque / model's reputation. The Sonata Hybrid or Turbo are both massively better to drive, with quick-shifting DCTs and better throttle response, and if you get anything but the basest interior they are pretty nice inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Get your wife the biggest hummer available.