Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

yeah. I guess I’m just jaded from watching all the X-Men movies recently and seeing so many characters just thrown in with clearly no idea of what to do with them. Storm in particular feels like a character who needs to stop being added to teams ostensibly to make them less white and just saved for when someone wants to actually tell a story with her.

But that’s a failure of execution. Really they just need to come up with a story and a cast of characters who are part of it. Not a lineup of action figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Honestly, I know it's a cliché with comic book stuff, but I really feel like X-Men is better as a prestige tv series or an animated show than as a series of movies. There are certainly ways to make a good X-Men movie, but the comics are such a soap opera that I feel like leaning into the longer form storytelling of a show is advantageous for the property.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Team should be Maddox, Bishop, rollerskate Dazzler, Laura wolvie, and Sunspot. :colbert:

e: or Banshee, Wolfsbane, Gambit, Rogue, and Syrin. Everyone talks like Brad Pitt in Snatch.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

He was pretty vocal about what a load of ridiculous poo poo it is to achieve a mega-ripped hero bod, I doubt he want to sign up for at least a decade of having to maintain it.

The main point of his posts was about how it's a standard that's impossible to maintain without backup from Hollywood. He can and will do it, even just for a joke. We already know he can do accents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLlpcfRFpg

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lager posted:

Honestly, I know it's a cliché with comic book stuff, but I really feel like X-Men is better as a prestige tv series or an animated show than as a series of movies. There are certainly ways to make a good X-Men movie, but the comics are such a soap opera that I feel like leaning into the longer form storytelling of a show is advantageous for the property.

I agree. X-Men is an ensemble, it's hard to really have character development with a bunch of team members in a movie. I think Guardians pulled it off pretty well, but even that was mostly Star-Lord.

Have an ongoing series would be better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think “First Class” is a solid approach even if the film still kind of overstuffed it and didn’t actually focus on the class. But the idea of a small group of first students of Xavier all learning to control their powers and work together as a team to take down a threat is a simple idea that can work easily. And once you do that you can introduce new students, enemies, rogues, etc.

There’s ideas I’d like to see. I’d like to see Emma Frosts Hellions as a rival school/team. I’d like to see Wolverine as the grizzled vet and not a student. I’d like to see Storm done well with all her goddess stuff. But that all feels like further chapters. Just start with a simple origin story… even though I know many hate origin stories. But it gets this ball rolling in a much more natural way than any kind of dimension jumping or time travel or whatever. And that’s probably more valuable to the storytelling than anything else since it gives them a foundation to build off of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've been saying it for years, they should start with the original five already out of commission and trapped on Krakoa, then use Giant-Size X-Men 1 as the story framework. Introduce a bunch of cool X-Men, get to do the whole "you'll see these cool guys next time" thing when the originals are freed, and you set up Krakoa for later in case some arc ends in AvX.

Bonus: a mutant living island isn't a dark mirror of anyone, and it doesn't need a ton of screen time to explain, so more focus on all those X-Mans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See I think that's the absolute wrong way of trying to introduce a dozen characters and a bunch of backstory and a whole thing all at once. Its basically what Eternals did and its all rushed and nothing actually sinks in. Its rushing into a big story instead of laying the foundation. And I understand why long time fans of the characters and books want to get to the good stuff quick. But I think its a mistake for a broader audience (and if you can't write something good for your origin story then that's on you).

I my mind MCU X-Men is like a 10 year plan before you get to any of the really big stuff like Dark Phoenix or AvX or whatever. Krakoa is probably like... X-Men Phase 2.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Big difference between Eternals and X-Men in public perception though. Even people who aren’t big into comics know who Wolverine and Cyclops are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but the problem is Wolverine's always gonna get attention and focus. Its everyone else who gets short changed in an overstuffed movie or rushed backstory.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

STAC Goat posted:

See I think that's the absolute wrong way of trying to introduce a dozen characters and a bunch of backstory and a whole thing all at once. Its basically what Eternals did and its all rushed and nothing actually sinks in. Its rushing into a big story instead of laying the foundation. And I understand why long time fans of the characters and books want to get to the good stuff quick. But I think its a mistake for a broader audience (and if you can't write something good for your origin story then that's on you).

I my mind MCU X-Men is like a 10 year plan before you get to any of the really big stuff like Dark Phoenix or AvX or whatever. Krakoa is probably like... X-Men Phase 2.

I actually thought the introduction and characterization of the Eternals was the strong point of the movie; the problem is that it took over half the film to do that and the rest was paint-by-numbers Marvel Movie stuff. You could do this even more efficiently with the X-Men 1) because of greater cultural familiarity and 2) have some of the X-Men already recruited, showing (not telling) their powers/personalities during recruitment/crises.

Hell, you could even do an in media res type beginning. Professor X assembles the advanced students to avert some sort of crisis gas explosion and fire at an orphanage, let's say. The movie starts with Cyke, Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Nightcrawler, and Gambit in the Blackbird flying to the troublespot while Professor X telepathically briefs them, giving them a battle plan that outlines their abilities for the audience's sake ("Cyclops, use your optic blasts to push back the burning debris. Storm, call up torrential rain. Nightcrawler, go into the orphanage and teleport out with any orphans you find.") Boom, 15 minute exciting set piece and you learn everything you need to know about the main characters. Cyclops can even show his leadership by overriding Xavier's instructions once he sees the facts on the ground, Wolverine can disobey Summers's orders, etc.

Then in the middle of the rescue a piece of concrete cracks and Gambit gets impaled by a giant chunk of rebar. He's beyond saving. We never even hear him speak. Then a freak lightning bolt from Storm's weather fries the corpse into an unrecoverable, unresurrectable cloud of ash. (I'm not a Gambit fan, mon ami.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm talking Krakoa the angry island that comes to life in 1975, not the current mutant homeland arc. And the giant size run introduces eight characters, several of which you can just stuff in the background anyway. Banshee and Sunfire don't need super complicated arcs, they're not gonna do much going forward. Heck you could off a few. And the rest are already cultural icons. Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus, everyone's up to speed.

Mostly I just want them to start without Magneto already in play. Dude's played out and needs a break.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was talking about the same Krakoa. I just don’t like the idea of introducing characters as expendable or rushing into a full world, especially one that basically contradicts the established world you have. I get why people want to do it. I get the appeal. Personally it doesn’t work for me at all. I only care about a character if the movie makes me care about them. The rush to get into stuff tends to turn me off.

But also it’s clearly just not the MCU approach as they want to make their movies as broadly accessible as they can. And X-Men are a big long term investment so no need to rush it.

But I do agree that they need to go a different path then what we’ve seen each time. Magneto can wait just like I think Wolverine can wait.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey its giant freaking robot a click bait site? I saw an ad saying "James Gunn infuriated over Chris Pratt" but didn't click through. Real or bullshit?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

Hey its giant freaking robot a click bait site? I saw an ad saying "James Gunn infuriated over Chris Pratt" but didn't click through. Real or bullshit?

He’s infuriated by people dunking on Pratt on Twitter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

They make up a lot of stuff, yeah.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ty, didn't want to give them traffic

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Speaking of "grain of salt" news, I'm seeing what's claimed to be promotional artwork for Wakanda Forever that suggests Riri Williams and Attuma will be in the movie.

I'm going to assume that with Comic Con around the corner, we'll get some more concrete news on the movie soon enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jamesman posted:

Speaking of "grain of salt" news, I'm seeing what's claimed to be promotional artwork for Wakanda Forever that suggests Riri Williams and Attuma will be in the movie.

I'm going to assume that with Comic Con around the corner, we'll get some more concrete news on the movie soon enough.
I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed that Riri Williams' first appearance will be in this movie. There have also been a bunch of reports that we will see Namor.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but nothing official has been confirmed about any of this to my knowledge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've always felt an xmen movie should focus on the :Weclome to the Xmen, hope you survive" focused on a young mutant coming to the school. It could be Kate, Jubilee, Laura, illyana, Roberto, Danni, Hellion, shark girl or whatever young mutant they want to focus on.

I'd also have dark Phoenix of already happened, so you never have to do a movie about if because, ugh just stop.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, but nothing official has been confirmed about any of this to my knowledge.

It's pretty crazy that it's apparently in theatres in about 5 months and we've seen nothing whatsoever. We'll for sure get a lot of stuff out of comicon and d23, especially since Thor will be out of the way by then

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just do a live action version of the 90s cartoon then whoops the multiverse stuff happens and somehow they're stuck in the MCU.

I mostly just want to see the costumes translated accurately and also see some different people. Jubilee, Gambit, Rogue with her comic powers.

Did anything ever come of that Mr. Sinister tease in Apocalypse (I think?) or was that cast to the void with the Disney acquisition?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They didn't really release anything about Thor before a couple of months before the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the first Thor trailer was in April.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, there's promo art out there now for Wakanda Forever and it includes both Attuma and Namor and the both look cool as hell. Namor has ankle wings! Ha! The decision to go with Aztech culture for the basis of their Atlantis replacement is such a good idea.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd also say that with the Wakanda Forever leaks, that it means something will probably be attached to Thor. The leaks usually don't happen too long before Marvel drops official announcements.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just do a live action version of the 90s cartoon then whoops the multiverse stuff happens and somehow they're stuck in the MCU.

I mostly just want to see the costumes translated accurately and also see some different people. Jubilee, Gambit, Rogue with her comic powers.

Did anything ever come of that Mr. Sinister tease in Apocalypse (I think?) or was that cast to the void with the Disney acquisition?

He was meant to be the one Dr Reyes was emailing in New Mutants. Which creates the hilarious image of Mr Sinister is his full on glam outfit using a computer or a smart phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

He was meant to be the one Dr Reyes was emailing in New Mutants. Which creates the hilarious image of Mr Sinister is his full on glam outfit using a computer or a smart phone.

Sinister would loving love gossiping online.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Hamm has said that he was in talks with Fox where he was going to show up as Mr Sinister in New Mutants' post credits scene but they changed their mind partway through filming so it never came about.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He did/does run a blind item site on Krakoa

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's sitting in a gaming chair in front of a bunch of Pop figures asking people to smash that like button.

Sinister would be a pretty fun villian for the MCU. Especially if they do the version who clones himself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The 90's X-Men is a good group to adapt, I think. But I would age them down a little (except Wolverine, or maybe you can leave him out entirely) to college age. I'd probably keep Iceman from the original 5, at least. You can have the movie be about them revealing themselves to the world after training and hiding for a bit. Then you can expand into TV shows and spinoffs to introduce larger groups or individuals while the X-Men movies are kind of like the Avengers movies where larger casts will interact.

If i were Marvel I'd also hop on that Sadie Sink bandwagon and cast her as Jean Grey right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Yes, there's promo art out there now for Wakanda Forever and it includes both Attuma and Namor and the both look cool as hell. Namor has ankle wings! Ha! The decision to go with Aztech culture for the basis of their Atlantis replacement is such a good idea.
My completely baseless speculation is that Riri Williams comes from that school that T'Challa sets up at the end of Black Panther. Would make a ton of sense.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
My one and only complaint about Namor is I don’t like the nose piercing. Pretty minor.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
No widow's peak, this is an outrage, the film is doomed, etc.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Introducing the mutants via X-Men is trying to pack a bit too much into the MCU too quick. There's only one solution to start rolling out mutant introductions the right way: The Great Lakes Avengers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Introducing the mutants via X-Men is trying to pack a bit too much into the MCU too quick. There's only one solution to start rolling out mutant introductions the right way: The Great Lakes Avengers

Finally, someone around here is talking sense

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
How about 2 separate film series ala the mid80s split school approach? One team led by Storm doing mainly superhero poo poo and existential threats, another by Scott and the OGs finding and sheltering kids who wake up one day and find they have living pizza hair or their sweat melts poo poo like an Alien with a paper cut. Ditch the whole public facing exterminators angle, say Charles is no longer with us (banging bird ladies in space) and no one has heard from Magneto in years, just to give us all a break from them both for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Maybe I missed this but Black Panther 2 will have a mutant in it. Namor whether they address it or not is unknown of course.