Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Lol generation's aren't real. A rich Gen z will always have more in common materially and ideologically with a rich boomer than a poor Gen z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

as I said in the other thread, this stupid "not all boomers" trope just masks the truth that generational wars were created specifically by conservatives & neolibs to promote austerity & divert attention from the one true war.

I don't care if libs want to perpetuate these ruling-class lies (indeed, I'd be surprised if they didn't) but younger leftists should definitely know better, and I'll spend the rest of what's left of my life saying so in case a couple younger lefties let it sink in.

people who hate "boomers" are really just frustrated with their own lovely parents, and project that onto a generation

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Don't forget the stuff DuPont used to make Teflon

Edit: lmao just learned that DuPont is based in Delaware. First state of the US, made Biden, and poisoned the world. What a dumpster fire.

Oh wow if you didn’t know they were based there then do yourself a favor and read up on Biden’s son and the DuPont heir…

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Willa Rogers posted:

as I said in the other thread, this stupid "not all boomers" trope just masks the truth that generational wars were created specifically by conservatives & neolibs to promote austerity & divert attention from the one true war.

I don't care if libs want to perpetuate these ruling-class lies (indeed, I'd be surprised if they didn't) but younger leftists should definitely know better, and I'll spend the rest of what's left of my life saying so in case a couple younger lefties let it sink in.

I’ve always wondered if shifts in education towards critical thinking skills has been responsible for the poor perception of boomers. boomers I meet outside of academia seem to accept information uncritically whereas later generations seem to have increasing amount of critical analysis skills

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’ve always wondered if shifts in education towards critical thinking skills has been responsible for the poor perception of boomers. boomers I meet outside of academia seem to accept information uncritically whereas later generations seem to have increasing amount of critical analysis skills

I don't think boomers were the primary ones falling all over themselves to worship the one true god Barack Obamailure in 2008.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

1glitch0 posted:

I don't think boomers were the primary ones falling all over themselves to worship the one true god Barack Obamailure in 2008.

it’s not even that but like basic media literacy (lol). I remember being taught in middle and high school about bias and analyzing sources that I wonder when exactly it was introduced because these simple skills seem to be lacking in increasing amounts the further one goes back

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think there's a real justification for animosity of a generation that got to have free college, a cheap home, and a defined and uncompetitive work market but that literally only occurred for like 25 years in the monstrous century yet recorded so far

I dont think it's a worthwhile use of anyone's time and I certainly don't do it but what is

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Probably Magic posted:

as for generational wars, when you look at how they're differentiated, it's generally by defining moments, like boomers with jfk getting assassinated, that's pretty rough, and millennials with 9/11, and gen x had... a loving space shuttle exploding, are you kidding me, this is the great trauma that defined your generation? what?

what i'm saying is, generational analysis proves gen x is actually the worst

widespread adoption of computers/internet was much more important for defining millennials but can't be boiled down to a single moment

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s not even that but like basic media literacy (lol). I remember being taught in middle and high school about bias and analyzing sources that I wonder when exactly it was introduced because these simple skills seem to be lacking in increasing amounts the further one goes back

I’ve noticed in my parents and aunts/uncles as they get into their mid sixties and seventies, is that age seems to ossify for some reason. People start getting really rigid about things and less open to anything that doesn’t conform to their preexisting worldview. I’ve said it before about fake news and Facebook poo poo but the bad posts and fake racist articles aren’t making Aunt Kathy racist, Aunt Kathy has become (or maybe always was) racist and is choosing to believe the poo poo that supports her worldview

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the human brain works like that

e: the human brain works like the two posts above mine

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
e: lol
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zvahl posted:

better than me, i was real proud about voting for the first time in 2000

in oregon for gore lol

Lmao you think that's bad, for me it was 2004 voting whoever the libertarian party candidate was at the time as an anti Bush terminal succbrained internet libertarian ideologue

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

WampaLord posted:

It's notable to me that this article is about economics and not climate change. I'm not arguing that boomers hosed us by hoovering up Social Security, which seems to be the argument this article is trying to refute, they hosed us by putting too much carbon in the atmosphere.

"Boomers are responsible for climate change" only works based on a couple of assumptions. First, you need to believe that mass action is based on a bunch of individuals choosing, mostly independent of one another, to act in the same way. Second, you need to believe that individual action matters to climate change. Neither of these things are true - mass action requires organization, and climate change is a crisis that can only be addressed via top-down political authority.

At no point has any generation been given the option to meaningfully address climate change, because it's capital that pumped too much carbon in the atmosphere, and it's capital that controls top-down political authority.

eta: It's also capital that's been responsible for sabotaging any meaningful attempts at organizing mass action. See: the corporate co-option of just about every environmental group out there, the billions spent on anti-climate change propaganda, etc.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

trying to apportion responsibility before the problem is handled is how you know no one is doing anything

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Falstaff posted:

"Boomers are responsible for climate change" only works based on a couple of assumptions. First, you need to believe that mass action is based on a bunch of individuals choosing, mostly independent of one another, to act in the same way. Second, you need to believe that individual action matters to climate change. Neither of these things are true - mass action requires organization, and climate change is a crisis that can only be addressed via top-down political authority.

At no point has any generation been given the option to meaningfully address climate change, because it's capital that pumped too much carbon in the atmosphere, and it's capital that controls top-down political authority.

eta: It's also capital that's been responsible for sabotaging any meaningful attempts at organizing mass action. See: the corporate co-option of just about every environmental group out there, the billions spent on anti-climate change propaganda, etc.

oh, word? and what top-down political authority was chosen?

Gumball Gumption posted:

No, we get that. But also lol gently caress boomers

Sorry that the shittier members of your generation made that your legacy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you think Mondale would fix climate change? who the gently caress even is Mondale, I'm sure he isn't a Marxist Leninist

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

if they wanted to make an actual joke, they could say that cspam is mostly five billion alt accounts on account of them getting rowdy all the time, but i guess d&d doesn't want to draw the attention to gimmick alt accounts because, well, y'know

making an actual joke is now probe-worthy according to the new rules.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rutibex posted:

you think Mondale would fix climate change? who the gently caress even is Mondale, I'm sure he isn't a Marxist Leninist

no I don't think Mondale would fix climate change but I think the level of magnitude of the vote for Reagan is pretty damning all on its own

Minnesota boomers are better than average

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Lol generation's aren't real. A rich Gen z will always have more in common materially and ideologically with a rich boomer than a poor Gen z

:hai:

Rutibex posted:

people who hate "boomers" are really just frustrated with their own lovely parents, and project that onto a generation

:hai:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't think it's lack of media literacy as much as it's the until-very-recently standard of mainstream news hewing to "the truth is in the middle" pseudo-objectivity, with which boomers (and other older generations) grew up & came of age.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I think there's a real justification for animosity of a generation that got to have free college, a cheap home, and a defined and uncompetitive work market but that literally only occurred for like 25 years in the monstrous century yet recorded so far

unless you were a single woman, or queer, or Black, or lower income, & especially any combo thereof, and only if you are excluding every generation before or after those born during that particular 18-year period.

other than that, mrs. lincoln, you're dead on!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rutibex posted:

jimmy carter (the guy mondale was vp for) put solar panels on the roof of the white house in 1978 so maybe

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anyway, let's get back to laughing at libs, uniting us across all age groups:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like so many other things, it's growing up in post-ww2 government controls and assuming it's the natural state of things

there were three channels, the news on all three said the same thing, there were no alternative sources of information to synthesize, so many of them just consumed what they were given and assumed they knew all they needed to know

subsequent generations do the same thing ofc, but they are at least aware of alternates existing; for a large portion of their lives boomers were not

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Boomers have had more antiscience views for most of their lives (as an aggregate cohort). They disvalued critical thinking and controlled policy and education for the past 40 years appx so they caused this.

--

The decline in funding could have been predicted by looking at the Boomers’ culture and its opinions about science, which differed importantly from those held by prior generations. During the 1950s, before Boomers were old enough to exert political control or even participate in opinion surveys, polls showed overwhelming support for science and technology.* When asked whether, “all things considered, would you say that the world is better or worse off because of science?,” 83 percent of Americans answered “better.” The “better percentage” dropped to around 70 percent in the 1970s, which while still high in absolute terms reflected a disturbing shift in attitudes

Notably, the percentage who believed that science had made things outright “worse” rose from 2 percent to 5–8 percent, low numbers to be sure, but alarming enough, given their embrace of a view radically contradicted by the facts.13 These were sentiments one might expect from popes and Junkers, not Boomers swaddled in Space Age prosperity. While only a minority held such extreme views, by the 1970s, several polls suggested that a majority of respondents harbored mixed feelings about science and technology, believing them the causes of “some” or “most” of “our problems”—again, an extraordinary result, and one held by a plurality of the public.14 Confidence in the scientific establishment also declined significantly, from a majority to a minority, while the public displayed increasing skepticism for science’s ability to solve “society’s problems.” Unsurprisingly, support also fell for basic research (with consequences we will shortly take up).15 The Boomers drove much of the change. Studies in 1972 and 1974 by the National Science Board showed that of all age groups, those under thirty (at the time, a survey group composed entirely of Boomers) held the most negative views about science and technology, including that S&T changed the world too quickly and produced outcomes that tended toward the worse.16 (People did like some specific technologies, notably the television.) Young people also reported higher degrees of alienation from technology.17

The Sean has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Jul 2, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That just seems like all old people would cleave to CBS and Fox, how did they get eaten by Q? Just because it's in front of them so they figure it's true?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

That just seems like all old people would cleave to CBS and Fox, how did they get eaten by Q

because for that same long period of their lives the official line they were fed is 'everything is just getting better forever'

when news stopped providing them this service they moved to something that did

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Willa Rogers posted:

making an actual joke is now probe-worthy according to the new rules.

I'm pretty sure they left in the asterisk that they'll let the joke slide as long as they think it was funny (see: makes fun of the "right" sort of people)

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Peanut President posted:

jimmy carter (the guy mondale was vp for) put solar panels on the roof of the white house in 1978 so maybe

carter styled the solar panels (really solar heaters, but w/e) as a symbol of national energy independence and not environmental conservation. this was a response to the OPEC embargo. there’s every sign his crew would have been just as susceptible to the domestic shale oil/fracking/LNG interests as, say, Obama

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they really are, interacting with anything other than top of the line boomers just leaves me hopelessly baffled as to how their brain analyzes the world. it’s like anything beyond their extremely limited horizon doesn’t exist

In addition to being the first mass media generation, they were also raised on extremely homogeneous media. If you were a white suburban kid you probably didn't see a black family until The Cosby Show. Now young white kids can still see an unending stream of black kids being brutalized by police in a way that was heavily censored during boomers' formative years.

Willa Rogers posted:

stfu about boomers + lead poisoning, you video-game brain-damaged idiots.

Wow you're being really aggressive for some reason.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the_steve posted:

I'm pretty sure they left in the asterisk that they'll let the joke slide as long as they think it was funny (see: makes fun of the "right" sort of people)

oh yah: like everything else in the rulebook, it's purely subjective so as to wield against one's posting enemies.

the response of "just report them, then" is the worst possible solution unless you're turning dnd into even more of a shithole, just toddler-level "but he did it too, mom!" idiocy.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Do you think growing up doing nuclear blast drills at school might have soured some people on the inherent beneficence of all science as applied?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

anyway, let's get back to laughing at libs, uniting us across all age groups:

wouldn't this be better on halloween?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Willa Rogers posted:

oh yah: like everything else in the rulebook, it's purely subjective so as to wield against one's posting enemies.

the response of "just report them, then" is the worst possible solution unless you're turning dnd into even more of a shithole, just toddler-level "but he did it too, mom!" idiocy.

Reported

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"mean to fellow poster" is prolly my fav stupid rule violation there, maybe tied with "no jokes allowed" but it's hard to say.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

wouldn't this be better on halloween?

no bc july 4th is a celebration of our independence & coat hangers show our true yokes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

no yokes allowed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the_steve posted:

more like the "left" sort of people 😂

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Strangelet Wave posted:

carter styled the solar panels (really solar heaters, but w/e) as a symbol of national energy independence and not environmental conservation. this was a response to the OPEC embargo. there’s every sign his crew would have been just as susceptible to the domestic shale oil/fracking/LNG interests as, say, Obama

Specifically, Carter passed the law effectively banning the use of natural gas in power plants, which is why we built a bunch of coal plants and developed the powder river basin.

The modern coal industry wouldn’t exist without a bill Carter passed.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

oh, word? and what top-down political authority was chosen?

A majority of eligible voters in 1984 didn’t vote for Reagan.