Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Stalizard posted:

I know they make duffel bags that fit these bags and I know those duffel bags cost a million dollars each at REI if you don't have a spare firstborn to give them. Instead of this, the thinking person spends $5 at IKEA.

This lil guy weighs nothing, takes up no space and perfectly fits a 65 liter bag. I do frequently get questions from suspicious gate agents, but when I show them the backpack inside they've always been cool with it.

Anyway I hope this helps somebody as much as it has helped me.
This Ikea bag works great for uncompressed sleeping bag storage as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ihop posted:

Maybe a big cheap mesh laundry sack from a big box store?

That is a great idea, I think I have been conditioned to think that everything has to come from a boutique outdoors retailer. Thank you, this $4 bag from Target will probably do the trick.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My REI down bag came with one, but I bought a pair of cinch top cotton laundry bag from Amazon for $10 or something. Mine live in my garage so I like that they don't get dusty.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm looking at hammocks as an alternative to a tent. I know that most hammocks don't come with everything you need, like a suspension system. What all do you need for a complete hammock setup, assuming there are trees to tie the hammock to? I'm looking at stuff like this because it's got a built-in mosquito net (absolutely mandatory) and also coming with a rain fly is a nice perk. Plus it's slightly on-sale. What else would I need to get if I wanted to hammock camp?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Check out the hammock thread for more detail, but that gets you most of the way there for summer camping. You can get away with a sleeping bag inside the hammock in warmer weather, but the insulation between you and the hammock gets compressed and doesn't cope with air movement below the hammock. You'll want an underquilt to use it in colder weather. You can also use a (top) quilt instead of a sleeping bag to save a bit of space/weight.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I didn't realize there was a separate hammock thread, thanks for pointing me to it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm looking at hammocks as an alternative to a tent. I know that most hammocks don't come with everything you need, like a suspension system. What all do you need for a complete hammock setup, assuming there are trees to tie the hammock to? I'm looking at stuff like this because it's got a built-in mosquito net (absolutely mandatory) and also coming with a rain fly is a nice perk. Plus it's slightly on-sale. What else would I need to get if I wanted to hammock camp?

You'll probably get better answers in the hammock thread, but I wasn't a fan of the original kammock. A buddy had one and as a tall dude I thought it was pretty uncomfortable. Tarp wise, a cat cut hex tarp in silnylon or cuben fiber (stupid light) will protect you from just about everything and be the right balance between weight and protection. Lotsa different ways to rig your tarp, I like the dutch gear ridgeline, but I don't think other cottage manufacturers like Dutchware much because he copies their designs? I'm not sure, but I would absolutely recommend checking out cottage manufacturers for hammock gear and avoid REI or Eagles Nest (just not that comfortable imho)

My personal favorite hammock and what I have been using for years now is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. Awesome design, the shelf and foot rest are ingenious and work great, and their hammock suspension system is the best I've ever used. Merely wrap the webbing around the tree, clip to itself, repeat for the other side, and pull or loosen the straps on each side to adjust. Built in bugnet too, though I recommend the two layer bottom and not the single layer for heavy bug areas based on personal experience.

So, to hammock camp you need a:
-Tarp & Ridgeline to hang it
-Hammock and Suspension to hang that
-bugnet (either standalone or zippered/built in
-top insulation (eg unzipped sleeping bag or quilt)
-bottom insulation (eg bottom quilt or inflatable or foam sleeping pad)

And that's it!

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
This is my go to hammock, DD Hammock/Bivi
Diffilcult to beat for the price, and nothing additional needs to be bought if you are camping in good weather. If set up correctly can give you a great nights sleep in the outdoors.

Top and bottom insulation should be used if it is getting below 10 C at night, otherwise your usually sleep sack should do the trick. Oh, and in case you cannot find any trees nearby or are to tired to set it up it doubles as a bivi sack.

As was mentioned above, a tarp with ridgeline is highly recommended. This is my go to method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THckcO7A9ng

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know the hardcore hammock people think you can do better than the ENOs, but for what it's worth, they do sell one with an integrated bug net, the Junglenest: https://www.rei.com/product/170033/eno-junglenest-hammock Don't think it comes with a rain fly, though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
At 6’ I’m not super tall or anything but i find the ENO doublenest a little too short to get a comfortable full night’s sleep. I also stan warbonnet XLC now and the beckett suspension I got with it is very easy to use.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The hammock thread doesnt get much traffic, so ask away here too.

But absolutely do not get an Eno hammock unless your under 5'6" or something. You're setting yourself up for pain and misery.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

the ENOs are fine for throwing in your camp stash to have extras to hang up for lounging, but I'd never overnight in one. And that "design" has been replicated so many times you can find a similar hammock for < $20.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah I've got an Eno but every cheap knockoff I've ever seen is nearly identical to it

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

hypnophant posted:

At 6’ I’m not super tall or anything but i find the ENO doublenest a little too short to get a comfortable full night’s sleep. I also stan warbonnet XLC now and the beckett suspension I got with it is very easy to use.

I'd never heard of a Becket hitch before! I'm going to have to try that one out, that looks super simple and might shave a few grams without sacrificing simplicity and ease of use. I've used the marlin spike hitch with webbing before to create a diy atlas strap, but it takes a good bit of guessing to get it right, whereas this looks like you can just pull it taut and cinch the knot

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I absolutely love that REI has a permanent section for garage sale items now, if only for the hilarity of customers reasons for returning poo poo:

Side note, I'm now the proud owner of a used mattress! :toot:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I'm a 6'0 side sleeper and I sleep great in my ENO singlenest when I toss my Klymit Static V sleeping pad in there and hang the hammock juuust right. it's like I'm sleeping on cloud.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I absolutely love that REI has a permanent section for garage sale items now, if only for the hilarity of customers reasons for returning poo poo:

Side note, I'm now the proud owner of a used mattress! :toot:

Well at least you know it wasn't used for bumping uglies if he was complaining he was too close to his wife.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a tent with long side panels. They have two loops in each side. One is on bottom border, one is roughly in the middle. To prevent the sides from flapping in strong wind, what kind of tent line setup would be good for the side panels? I could carry two extra stakes to stake the side panels. Or do I need 4? Or maybe I could just stake the bottom border loops... and forget about the one in the middle.

Earlier I have used stakes only in tent corners.

I have marked the side panel loops in red:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 2, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d just bring some extra stakes and paracord. You might need it, you might not, but it all weighs less than a pound and takes up very little room.

Stakes and paracord can be used for basically anything, so no harm if you don’t need em on the tent but wanna run an extra clothesline or lift your food bag or something.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Not just paracord, get you some Night Ize reflective cord

This is hands down not only the best way to find your tent in the dark, but avoid yourself or other people taking it down when they trip over your invisible guylines on a 3AM nature call

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Ihmemies posted:

I have a tent with long side panels. They have two loops in each side. One is on bottom border, one is roughly in the middle. To prevent the sides from flapping in strong wind, what kind of tent line setup would be good for the side panels? I could carry two extra stakes to stake the side panels. Or do I need 4? Or maybe I could just stake the bottom border loops... and forget about the one in the middle.

Earlier I have used stakes only in tent corners.

I have marked the side panel loops in red:

The bottom loop can be used to make the fabric a little more stable in the wind and should be staked to the ground close to the loop. Don’t pull it very tight so that the tent remains in the shape it’s intended to and the forces of any strong gusts go where the tent is at its strongest. The corners should be the ones that remain under tension, the middle-bottom loop is there to just take some slack and flappiness off the fabric.

The loops in the middle of the panel are probably mostly intended for increasing interior space. You should stake these out further (so bring an extra pair if you want to use these) with some cord. You may also use nearby trees and such for these since they can usually be pulled pretty high. Be very gentle when tensioning these. Pull them just enough to create like 10-20cm more space inside. These points are probably not as strong as the other loops in the tent.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not just paracord, get you some Night Ize reflective cord

This is hands down not only the best way to find your tent in the dark, but avoid yourself or other people taking it down when they trip over your invisible guylines on a 3AM nature call

I’ll do you one better, Lawson GloWire. Lights up like a Christmas tree when the light hits it.

https://www.lawsonequipment.com/products/reflective-glowire

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

j.peeba posted:

The bottom loop can be used to make the fabric a little more stable in the wind and should be staked to the ground close to the loop. Don’t pull it very tight so that the tent remains in the shape it’s intended to and the forces of any strong gusts go where the tent is at its strongest. The corners should be the ones that remain under tension, the middle-bottom loop is there to just take some slack and flappiness off the fabric.

The loops in the middle of the panel are probably mostly intended for increasing interior space. You should stake these out further (so bring an extra pair if you want to use these) with some cord. You may also use nearby trees and such for these since they can usually be pulled pretty high. Be very gentle when tensioning these. Pull them just enough to create like 10-20cm more space inside. These points are probably not as strong as the other loops in the tent.

Thanks. I'll use the bottom edge loops if it's very windy to decrese flapping. The tent is quite long since i had it extended by 30cm because I'm so tall.

I'll ignore the middle loops since the tent is a two layered tent. The interior tent's room doesn't increase at all if I pull the outer tent away.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone sell a standalone hydration pack? I don't need extra storage - just need it to hold the reservoir, and was hoping it would be cheaper if sold without the reservoir included as I have several.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I use a camelbak running vest

E: nvm poor reading comprehension

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone sell a standalone hydration pack? I don't need extra storage - just need it to hold the reservoir, and was hoping it would be cheaper if sold without the reservoir included as I have several.

I feel like most day pack sizes are made with hydration sleeves now a days. Some come with bladders and others won't but they should usually be stated on whatever site you shop on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I’ll do you one better, Lawson GloWire. Lights up like a Christmas tree when the light hits it.

https://www.lawsonequipment.com/products/reflective-glowire

Oh this is dope, I'm buying a hank and adding that to the OP! :tipshat:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know it's good mom n pop shop because 3 of the 5 reviews they link to are 404's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sweet, I was just worrying about my gear shelf not having anything new on it in a while.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lawson cordage is so freaking good. I truly nerd out for it. I own the ironwire, glowire, and the shoelaces!

Just scored a 17 foot aluminum canoe! I have no idea what I’ll need to take my wife and baby out on day trips and canoe camping trips. Presumably paddles and PFDs. We live near the boundary waters so we’ll have plenty of opportunities to go paddle.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$34 Pure Outdoor by Monoprice 1.0-liter Outdoor Cooking System(monoprice.com)
Free shipping over $50

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....man, I remember when Monoprice used to sell only quality cables, what the heck.

Did they get hollowed out from inside by an alibaba reseller or something?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lawson cordage is so freaking good. I truly nerd out for it. I own the ironwire, glowire, and the shoelaces!

Just scored a 17 foot aluminum canoe! I have no idea what I’ll need to take my wife and baby out on day trips and canoe camping trips. Presumably paddles and PFDs. We live near the boundary waters so we’ll have plenty of opportunities to go paddle.

That's mostly it. You'll also need some basic boat safety stuff. It might vary by location but here you must have a bailer of some description, a throw rope, a whistle or air horn and a flashlight.

I really like the Northwater 4 Bailer. It substitutes the flashlight for a reflective strip but I have a phone in my life jacket, and it's much more accessible/usable for its primary function of a throw bag /bailer than most boating safety kits. You should also have a spare paddle in the boat.

If your baby is an actual baby and under 20lbs, the Salus Bijoux is the PFD to get. It's the only one rated for infants and I've thrown my own baby into the water in various orientations, all of which she returned from with her head above water.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Backpacking and Camping Gear: I've thrown my own baby into the water in various orientations

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Make sure you have a control group to test the null hypothesis.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

RodShaft posted:

Backpacking and Camping Gear: I've thrown my own baby into the water in various orientations

Not an empty quote

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

I forget, do we need a sacrifice or deal at the crossroads to get the help of a mod? Or is this more of a wicker man situation in TGO?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ritual demands you boop a bison and survive a sprint with a grizzly.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

The ritual demands you boop a bison and survive a sprint with a grizzly.

Oregon Trail Ninja Warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I forget, do we need a sacrifice or deal at the crossroads to get the help of a mod? Or is this more of a wicker man situation in TGO?

Is throwing your baby in the water not an adequate attempt at child sactifice?