Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

KozmoNaut posted:

Disclaimer: White cishet male, adjust your reaction as necessary.

I think it's fine to put your pronouns in your bio/profile, as a show of solidarity. It is not OK to force or pressure or expect others into doing the same, some people are more private or perhaps not out yet. And it's certainly not OK to think that it's going to save the world somehow.

This is why I wish we could work toward a real neutral default pronoun. I am definitely a cismale but I also don't have any attachment to masculine pronouns other than it's what I"ve used my whole life. I'd much rather just default to a pronoun that means "person" independent of gender -- that isn't 'they/them' because it's confusing and if someone tells me they use 'they/them' pronouns, I'm going to assume they're either nonbinary or trans, not that they just don't want to conform to gendered pronouns.

I use pronouns in bios because I think it's a good move toward normalizing awareness of pronoun diversity and identity, but it is true that it can also reinforce the stress and obstacles to one who may be transitioning or about to transition.

credburn has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My hands smell like garlic and I cannot get the scent off, it's been like three days I'm freaking out

Didn't you share a teleporter chamber with an Italian?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Replace the smell with something even worse. Dip your hands in an outhouse for five minutes and the garlic will be gone.
Hope in one hand and poo poo in the other, see which one de-stinks first

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

This is why I wish we could work toward a real neutral default pronoun. I am definitely a cismale but I also don't have any attachment to masculine pronouns other than it's what I"ve used my whole life. I'd much rather just default to a pronoun that means "person" independent of gender -- that isn't 'they/them' because it's confusing and if someone tells me they use 'they/them' pronouns, I'm going to assume they're either nonbinary or trans, not that they just don't want to conform to gendered pronouns.
I think that probably comes across if you put "he/they"?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Err, yeah, I suppose it would but then you just have more unnecessary combinations that still assign gender when it would be easier (I think) to come up with a brand new word. Well, not easier. Just more convenient.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Err, yeah, I suppose it would but then you just have more unnecessary combinations that still assign gender when it would be easier (I think) to come up with a brand new word. Well, not easier. Just more convenient.

And yet, whenever people do try to come up with a new word it's some unpronounceable garbage like "xie".

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely not, he/they is like "I'm nonbinary and I don't mind he or they but don't like she".

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Seems like a lot of condiments come in squeeze bottles nowadays that have no business being in squeeze bottles. Real mayo is way too thick for that, you have to cut open the bottle to get the last 1/4 of it out. Relish doesn't squeeze out evenly, you have to spread it out with a fork, so in that case its just as easy to get it out of the jar with a fork.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chemtrailologist posted:

Seems like a lot of condiments come in squeeze bottles nowadays that have no business being in squeeze bottles. Real mayo is way too thick for that, you have to cut open the bottle to get the last 1/4 of it out. Relish doesn't squeeze out evenly, you have to spread it out with a fork, so in that case its just as easy to get it out of the jar with a fork.
What comes in a squeeze bottle that you don't have to cut open to get the last of it out? I can't think of anything.

And why are you using forks for spreading when butter knives exist?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I have some spicy mayo that I'll need to cut open to get a lot of it out. Its very thick.

The edge of a butter knife is too narrow. You can fit more on a fork so you don't have to get multiple scoops out of the jar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chemtrailologist posted:

I have some spicy mayo that I'll need to cut open to get a lot of it out. Its very thick.
I said what don't you have to cut open? I've never seen a squeeze bottle of anything that you could actually empty without destroying it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
poo poo, I misread that.

Ketchup and mustard would be the two that immediately come to mind. You just have to store them upside down in the fridge to get it all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The answer is always just to put ice cream in the jar and eat it

Works with Nutella, probs works fine with everything else

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chemtrailologist posted:

Ketchup and mustard would be the two that immediately come to mind. You just have to store them upside down in the fridge to get it all.
I don't think I've ever bought a squeeze bottle of mustard, but seems like it would be worse than mayonnaise because it's much, much thicker? And the only reason I don't cut ketchup bottles open is because I put water into them and shake them then pour them into whatever I'm cooking. There's always some left that I can't get out otherwise. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I use a spoon to spread practically everything, as butter knives are a crap utensil for just about everything but melty butter.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

One of my friends is SO sweet and generous but always offers things in the form of 'lmk if there's ever like anything you want bc I'd love to gift it to you'
I was so conditioned growing up to never ask for anything that I simply Am Not Gonna take her up on it even though I know she'd be thrilled to get to follow through!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i never call in favors

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a broken human being who feels real weird whenever anyone buys me anything

Eternally grateful my birthday is september 11 so I can deflect with evergreen Never Forget jokes

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Killingyouguy! posted:

One of my friends is SO sweet and generous but always offers things in the form of 'lmk if there's ever like anything you want bc I'd love to gift it to you'
I was so conditioned growing up to never ask for anything that I simply Am Not Gonna take her up on it even though I know she'd be thrilled to get to follow through!!

:same: For me it was growing up with family/friends who'd buy gifts but use them against you/hold them over your head later. Easier to say "no thanks, it's ok" than deal with overbearing control freaks who don't understand what "gifting" means.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a broken human being who feels real weird whenever anyone buys me anything

Eternally grateful my birthday is september 11 so I can deflect with evergreen Never Forget jokes

My birthday is 4/20. Great when I was a young stoner and still kinda cool that my birthday is basically a minor holiday up here in Portland, but on to the pet peeve:

"You know Hitler was born on 4/20?" No, you are the first person to tell me that. There definitely hasn't been 100 people before you telling me that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fragmented posted:

My birthday is 4/20. Great when I was a young stoner and still kinda cool that my birthday is basically a minor holiday up here in Portland, but on to the pet peeve:

"You know Hitler was born on 4/20?" No, you are the first person to tell me that. There definitely hasn't been 100 people before you telling me that.

If you're ever lucky enough to be in jail on 4/20 you'll find it's also a "minor holiday" but for the Hitler reason.

sup Oregoon :respek:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hitler was born on 20/4 though?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sonntag zwanzig April eintausendachthundertneunundachtzig or you're an ignorant yank

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people singing hamilton in karaoke

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ordering a seafood dish and getting something with imitation crab sticks in it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

imitation crab is made with cheap fish, it's still technically seafood

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it doesnt belong in restaurant food. its like ordering steak and getting spam

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

it doesnt belong in restaurant food. its like ordering steak and getting spam

Spam is better than steak, especially fried.

My peeve is when people will chew through like, burnt ends from brisket and be like "yum, so good cow, way better than some tender barbecue sauce laden pulled pork, that would be gross, i have adult taste, hating my meal is profound"

e: more phuo than peeve but steak is far and away the most overrated meat from the most insufferable people. Give me a chicken breast slathered in ranch dressing and cholula, I don't care, anything but a boring middle-aged dad's loving godawful steak (RARE NOT WELL DONE)

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jul 2, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My plate has both and ribs and smoked chicken too

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
In my area Spam is currently almost double the price (per ounce) of just buying pork chops and the mental gymnastics happening is some real poo poo.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brawnfire posted:

My plate has both and ribs and smoked chicken too

Which reminds me of a peeve.

Guest: Are you sure this is cooked? It looks pink.
Me: That happens when you smoke meat. I cooked that for over two hours and used a probe to make sure it was done. It's fine, I promise.
Guest: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. Absolutely.
Guest then eats less than a quarter of the meat on their plate.

Goddamn! I brined it overnight, then smoked it. Do not waste my 16 hours of effort because you are used to overcooked oven charred meat. Next time you get a hotdog.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spam is better than steak, especially fried.

My peeve is when people will chew through like, burnt ends from brisket and be like "yum, so good cow, way better than some tender barbecue sauce laden pulled pork, that would be gross, i have adult taste, hating my meal is profound"

e: more phuo than peeve but steak is far and away the most overrated meat from the most insufferable people. Give me a chicken breast slathered in ranch dressing and cholula, I don't care, anything but a boring middle-aged dad's loving godawful steak (RARE NOT WELL DONE)

steak and burnt ends are good, sorry :shrug:

people that obsess about them are hella basic and I fully endorse judging them but it's still good food

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the holy poopacy posted:

people that obsess about them are hella basic and I fully endorse judging them but it's still good food

They aren't bad they are just obnoxiously bland

Oh woah, you got the steak and you... put it on the heat? For a set amount of time?? With black pepper as well as salt??? drat good rear end cook over here.

Gimme a roasted piece of tar with ketchup just to insult steak fans, then something interesting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dunno they taste like food to me. sorry about your covid hope your taste comes back soon

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pretty disappointing when someone breaks out the pulled pork at a barbeque

A poo poo-tier meat, especially when they did it in a crock pot and pour syrupy sweet, store-bought kc style sauce over it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

the holy poopacy posted:

My dad turns steak into shoe leather, and eats it with only salt. That's a bad steak, it's why I hated steak until I was in my late 20's and had a good med-rare. I one time tried to make a steak for him and I got chewed out for undercooking it and seasoning it.

Manager Hoyden posted:

A poo poo-tier meat, especially when they did it in a crock pot and pour syrupy sweet, store-bought kc style sauce over it

Vinegar based Eastern North Carolina style or :frogout:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Manager Hoyden posted:

Bad pulled pork is bad, yes. Good pulled pork is heavenly.

Crock pots need to die out. Nothing ever got better from being cooked in a crock pot. If you want easy fall-apart pork, at least use a pressure cooker instead.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Which reminds me of a peeve.

Guest: Are you sure this is cooked? It looks pink.
Me: That happens when you smoke meat. I cooked that for over two hours and used a probe to make sure it was done. It's fine, I promise.
Guest: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. Absolutely.
Guest then eats less than a quarter of the meat on their plate.

Goddamn! I brined it overnight, then smoked it. Do not waste my 16 hours of effort because you are used to overcooked oven charred meat. Next time you get a hotdog.

Oh god, some genius decided to try a takeaway smoked BBQ joint up the road from where I live (in semi-rural Tasmania) and this is exactly why it failed. There's no culture of BBQ or smoking meat like in the US, and everyone I heard complaining about them, complained about the 'uncooked' meat. I think they lasted maybe a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Oh god, some genius decided to try a takeaway smoked BBQ joint up the road from where I live (in semi-rural Tasmania) and this is exactly why it failed. There's no culture of BBQ or smoking meat like in the US, and everyone I heard complaining about them, complained about the 'uncooked' meat. I think they lasted maybe a month.

"Ugh, ew, I got these ribs and the outside was really dark but like, there was a ring of pink inside? I don't know how you accomplish that but I tossed that poo poo out."